Nintendo's Iwata Blames You for the Price of the 3DS

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Nintendo's Iwata Blames You for the Price of the 3DS

The 3DS costs ¥25,000 - and it's your fault for getting excited about it at E3.

At a press conference yesterday morning, Nintendo revealed that its highly-anticipated 3D handheld would come with a ¥25,000 price tag. Thanks to an incredibly strong yen that is trading against the dollar at levels not seen in 15 years, this directly translates to a slightly-uncomfortable Western price tag of $298.

According to Bloomberg Japan (and translated by Andriasang), Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata spoke with analysts following the announcement and discussed the handheld's price. When someone suggested that the ¥25,000 price might be near the upward bound of what consumers were willing to play, Iwata said that Nintendo had based the price on a number of factors - including the overwhelmingly positive reaction to the system upon its debut at E3.

Granted, it's clear that this was only one of the contributing factors in the case - and Nintendo likely had to consider other things like how much it costs to make the damn thing - but is that really the sort of thing you admit out loud? "Yeah, we saw that people liked it a lot, so we thought we'd make it a bit pricier." Iwata seems a bit more business-savvy than that.

All in all, though, I'm still not convinced it'll be that bad. Nintendo has yet to announce a North American or European price for the handheld, and it seems extremely unlikely that the hardware giant would go for a direct yen/dollar conversion here. Both the Wii and the original PSP also launched at ¥25,000 in Japan, and they were $249 and $199 when they made it over here to the West, respectively.

Personally, I think we'll end up seeing the system with a western price tag somewhere between $229 and $249, which would be much easier to swallow, no? I mean, I'm still going to buy it even at $300, but the lower price means I get more games to go with it.

Just remember, the next time somebody reveals cool new technology, act disappointed.

(via Eurogamer)

Well, after that you at least don't have to worry about people liking your next products anymore, Nintendo.

$300 PSPGo - People: this is over-priced!
$300($298) 3DS - People:Alright thats cool. :P

I mean I know technicaly the PSPGo wasn't new tech like the 3DS is, but still.

Almost $300? F that. I never pay more than $120 for any handheld.

I would never pay that much for a handheld, hell I don't know anyone who would.

This is actually one of the reasons I made sure not to put the 3DS on my wishlist when we saw it at E3; Nintendo can charge whatever they want for it, and it seems they are opting to do so.

'Course, they know that people will buy it like the good little sheep they are.
Maybe it won't be $300 on release, but just the fact that Iwata is admitting he knows he controls his fanbase is reason to be a bit concerned. Just a bit...

It's all about supply and demand... Demand rises while having the same amount of supply = Increase Prices!

And yet people will still defend this to the death.

Fanboys, I hate them all.

I'm not paying 300 dollars to play the same games all over again, Nintendo. Come out with some new titles and maybe I'll give it a go.

So a handheld device will cost around as much as a PS3?

How delightful.

I'll remember that next time sorry. ;)

I'm extremely interested in the 3DS but unlike with the DS (which was obviously a lot cheaper) I'm not gonna jump in and by one right away on launch day, I plan on waiting for a while and seeing if it drops in price and if we start getting any deals on it later.

(Also if they're going to start releasing new editions of it every 6 months and screwing over anyone who purchased the original. -.-)

Rumor has it there was a 200 dollar version.

But it required glasses. Oh Suhnap!

Honestly, I was hoping they'd charge $400 for it so launch day lines would be shorter.

Hubilub:

How delightful.

Smell that? That's the aroma of greed in the air. Though it's not shocking for Nintendo to screw over their fans.

After googling it and looking at the features I can see why it might be pricey.

I never adopt a first-generation system. Ever.

The last (and only) time I ever did so was the Super NES.
And it's partly due to the price. I'll let the other lunatics get trampled to death on Black Friday thank you very much.

Pandora92:
I'll remember that next time sorry. ;)

I'm extremely interested in the 3DS but unlike with the DS (which was obviously a lot cheaper) I'm not gonna jump in and by one right away on launch day, I plan on waiting for a while and seeing if it drops in price and if we start getting any deals on it later.

(Also if they're going to start releasing new editions of it every 6 months and screwing over anyone who purchased the original. -.-)

Outside of the DS lite, the 'upgrades' to the DS weren't neccesary. Well, the built in Internet Browser.

But the Camera and then a larger size...

Korten12:

2xDouble:

Pendragon9:

The Bandit:
I'm not paying 300 dollars to play the same games all over again, Nintendo. Come out with some new titles and maybe I'll give it a go.

Hubilub:

How delightful.

Do people really stop reading posts halfway through? Do they need to bold the big part where it says "the 3DS isn't announced at $300 yet, it was announced at the exact same price as the Wii and original PSP, but the yen is stronger these days?"

Nintendo makes all of its stuff in China, and has plenty of foreign companies in which to hold its money while it waits for the yen to go down. Japan always pays more for its stuff anyway. The 3DS will not be $300.

Reading comprehension, people. It's a good thing to have.

It'd be funny if when they released this, for a couple of days... No one showed up for it, so they'd have to lower the price.

But sadly, people will be waiting for this on the streets.

John Funk:
Just remember, the next time somebody reveals cool new technology, act disappointed.

We did, when Kinect was being unveiled. Didn't help...

Remember everyone! When PSP2 is offically announced we all have to bitch and complain and say that it doesn't look at us like it used too...

Sorta like our wifes, amirite :D

Not that I have one D:

JerrytheBullfrog:
snip

My bad, got carried away. You are indeed right.

Jandau:

John Funk:

We did, when Kinect was being unveiled. Didn't help...

lol That's so true.

Nintendo shouldn't make the 3DS pricier than it needs to be just because we like it. Still, it's buisness.

John Funk:
Both the Wii and the original PSP also launched at ¥25,000 in Japan, and they were $249 and $199 when they made it over here to the West, respectively.

While that's true, the 25,000 yen at the time of the Wii launch converted to about $215 USD, and we paid $249.99 for it. Likewise, at then-conversion values, the PSP was also more expensive in the US.

Nintendo might still choose to stick with $249.99, but it'll be for the psychological effect of the number, not because of the currency valuation. I'm going to guess they'll be inclined to go with the $299 price tag though, for two reasons. First, it'll help prevent the 3DS from completely cannibalizing DS sales for the holidays. Second, like all Nintendo launches, they'll probably be severely supply-constrained, and they'll sell out no matter what the price. A post-launch price cut once there's enough inventory for everyone to get one makes a lot of business sense.

Interesting, but considering that you can get full sized console for that much I think that's a bit on the high side. Not to mention that the US economy isn't in the best shape.

I consider about $150 to be a fair price for a handheld.

Korten12:

I know right? Especially since we, the consumer don't even know what the 3D effect looks like yet.

Double Standards for the win!!!!

-_-; Well I'm glad I supported the 3DS, it really makes me feel respected to used like this. Fine I will just wait for a price drop. Studies have shown word of mouth from a friend influences game purchase the most, so if anyone asked me "No clue it's too fucking expensive.

Possibly 300? Well, that's ok. Our PSPs are about 270 at the moment, nothing new.
I wonder how much the 3ds will actually go for in Australia? Couldn't be much more than 300, because the savvy consumers will probably get angry at the fact that a handheld costs more than a Wii.
EDIT: Just checked the US EBgames, for fun... you guys can still buy Gamecube games? Why am I still here?

JerrytheBullfrog:

Korten12:

2xDouble:

Pendragon9:

The Bandit:

Hubilub:

How delightful.

Do people really stop reading posts halfway through? Do they need to bold the big part where it says "the 3DS isn't announced at $300 yet, it was announced at the exact same price as the Wii and original PSP, but the yen is stronger these days?"

Nintendo makes all of its stuff in China, and has plenty of foreign companies in which to hold its money while it waits for the yen to go down. Japan always pays more for its stuff anyway. The 3DS will not be $300.

The PSPGo was $250 and people still bitched at that....

At least hes being honest...even if it isn't intentional.

unfortunately nintendo has essentially cornered the handheld market, and so this happens. :(

JerrytheBullfrog:

Speaking of reading comprehension... take a nice close look at all of those posts. Notice the outrage over the price itself. Whether $300 was reasonable, not whether it will actually be sold at that price point. None of these people will pay $300, regardless. The actual price point, as you clearly read the original post, was speculated at being closer to $250 (and is still damn high).

Quit trolling and take a pill, kid.

Blame us? Real childish...well, they want the profits so its really there fault x.x

I'll wait for 3DSL anyway.

John Funk:

Duly noted.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.