Sonic Creator Wants to Make Dreamcast 2

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Sonic Creator Wants to Make Dreamcast 2

Could the beloved Dreamcast ever have a successor someday? If Sonic creator Yuji Naka has his way, it just might.

Despite dying an early death in the very beginning of the last console generation, the Sega Dreamcast still has many fans who look back on those halcyon days with fondness. Sega may have morphed into a mere software developer these days, but Sonic creator Yuji Naka dreams of recapturing the company's old glory.

"I do miss those old days when I was heavily involved in hardware making at Sega," Naka told CVG) while promoting Ivy the Kiwi. "I was involved in most of the consoles and controllers that Sega came up with."

Naka says he'd like to get back to the hardware-making side of things, if only in an advisory position. "It would be ideal if I could become some sort of advisor working with the platform makers in future," he says. "I think if I can work really well with the platform makers then it's good for everyone, because I can then come up with totally new games."

If Ivy the Kiwi performs well, says Naka, who knows? Maybe a Dreamcast 2 would be in the cards someday. "Of course Dreamcast was my baby back at Sega and I want to carry on making good games for the European market, and one day I'm hoping it gives me the opportunity to work on Dreamcast 2."

I'm not so sure I see the connection between a game about a kiwi selling well and Sega getting back into hardware, but sure, why not! I mean, the Dreamcast was pretty cool, right?

(CVG)

If a Dreamcast 2 happens, we'll need another Power Stone.

Best fighting games ever. None of that sissy "blocking".

Don't think I'd buy one, but thats cos I'm a PC guy.

But I'd LOVE to see a third contender in the console market. I loved the old consoles.

SEGA always carried the bad karma of "releasing consoles too soon." An extra year of development would made the Saturn and Dreamcast better consoles than they already were, and that's a pity. I support a DreamCast 2.

How come when I read this I thought it was a sad and pathetic attempt for them to try to get back to their glory days with sonic?

Mikester1290:

But I'd LOVE to see a third contender in the console market. I loved the old consoles.

Third?

The Dreamcast 1 sold only around 8 million units. That's nothing.

Please Sega...don't do it. Don't ruin yourself again. You're slowly making a name for yourself with improved titles across all major plattforms, the future as a software publisher/developer looks pretty good for you.

I don't think another Dreamcast would be bad quality wise (just like I think that the last Dreamcast was excellent in quality) but I just don't think it can compete.

Step 1: Release Dreamcast 2 bundled with Shenmue 3.
Step 2: There is no step 2
Step 3: ????
Step 4: Profit!

Brotherofwill:

Mikester1290:

Third?

The Dreamcast 1 sold only around 8 million units. That's nothing.

Please Sega...don't do it. Don't ruin yourself again. You're slowly making a name for yourself with improved titles across all major plattforms, the future as a software publisher/developer looks pretty good for you.

I don't think another Dreamcast would be bad quality wise (just like I think that the last Dreamcast was excellent in quality) but I just don't think it can compete.

OOPS! I auto-deleted the wii from my brain, no offence to the wii guys.

I can't imagine a new Dreamcast would get the sales like you say, but I'd LIKE to see it happen.

I'd support this console, easily, The Dreamcast was a good console, i was sad to see it go.

Hell, i think it would gave Microsoft and Sony a wake up call.

I can see the headlines now...

Dreamcast 2 released!
*a few months later*
Sony and Microsoft join forces to make ultimate video game console! Dreamcast gets blown out of the water! AGAIN!!

And then everyone laughs. Ha-ha-ha-ha :D

I loved the original dramcast, and wouldnt be agaisnt a number 2 - Its sad what happened ><

Ohhh...do want! That would be great.

not the best quality out there, but eh

Sega sucked at making consoles. They need to accept it and move on; it's just not their thing.

Anyone Remember what a great success the 32x was? Or remember what a great success the Sega CD was? Or remember how well the Sega Saturn sold?

Remember all those great games on the Genesis that weren't Sonic? Me neither.

Ah lor', if only.. though I wonder if a mark 2'd be special like the original.

I mean of all the consoles, the Dreamcast Was kind of unique - it handled colours differently, and just about matched the PS2's hardware capability through its software architecture - by my understanding it outperformed the Xbox, too, efficiency wise; the Xbox was just a hardware monster.

But a new one? I dunno.. are there similar ways a console could go a different path and end up with noticeably different game presentation now?

arc1991:
I'd support this console, easily, The Dreamcast was a good console, i was sad to see it go.

Hell, i think it would gave Microsoft and Sony a wake up call.

i loved the dreamcast too, my first Soul caliber experience........ ahhh the memories

but still "gave Microsoft and Sony a wake up call" there already on cocaine and red bull as it is

sticking dreamcast 2 in the middle of that is calling for total annihilation

o and Wii is good too

The only fault Sega consoles ever really had was that they were never marketed properly.

Daystar Clarion:

This!

and also give us another sonic adventures.

I bet anything it would sell well, as long as they had a good lineup of games immediately.

Daystar Clarion:

= Me insta-buying

Daystar Clarion:

Got to admit, by this point Sega have so many cult successes, they could probably release a Dreamcast on the strength of cult sequels and tapping all of those separate fanbases alone >.>; Shenmue 3, a better NiGHTS sequel, another Panzer Dragoon (and Saga?)..

.. Nah, wishful thinking I guess.

I love the Dreamcast and I would love to see another. But let's be honest here, Sega is in no position to market a system. After the Dreamcast all they were making for a while was Dreamcast remakes, and maybe two Dreamcast game sequels (Crazy Taxi 3 and the second Jet Grind Radio.) after that it's just been bad Sonic games over and over with horrible controls. Though Sonic Team has always been most effective when playing with Sega hardware I can't really see the consumer going out of their way to buy the Dreamcast 2 when all we see out of Sega is them trying to resurrect a dead icon...Oh, and Gameworks..

EDIT: Sorry, didn't include Shenmue 2 as a sequel outside of the Dreamcast, I keep forgetting how it's an Xbox game. (That and I own it on the Dreamcast thanks to a trip to England I went on so long ago.)

I'd love it if Sega got back into the console business, but I'm not one to shy away from the truth. That will probably never happen by this point, but I suppose stranger things have happened.

Sega can't even make a solid decent game anymore and some idiot wants to make a DC 2?

If you made better more detailed more well made games....then there would have been a DC3 by now......

everyone go buy Ivy the Kiwi now...

half life was going to be on the dreamcast, but the port got canceled. maybe episode three will come out for dreamcast 2 some year...

Mikester1290:
Don't think I'd buy one, but thats cos I'm a PC guy.

Which one are you excluding?

Anyway, Dreamcast 2. Can't wait to download all their best games!

(I don't pirate games...Just a commentary on the relative ease with which people did so on the DC)

Optimystic:
Sega sucked at making consoles. They need to accept it and move on; it's just not their thing.

Anyone Remember what a great success the 32x was? Or remember what a great success the Sega CD was? Or remember how well the Sega Saturn sold?

Dynamite Headdy, Gunstar Heroes, Shining Force, Phantasy Star... The Genesis had an excellent library which was every bit as good as the SNES. Just because Sonic is the quintessential Genesis series it doesn't mean they're the only good games it had.

Sega wasn't a bad console maker, they just made a lot of poor decisions. The SegaCD and 32X hurt the Saturn, the Game Gear was too bogged down by its bells and whistles to compete with the Gameboy, and the Dreamcast faced flagging consumer confidence and the looming threat of the PS2.

If the Dreamcast came with a built-in DVD player and it was the same price as the PS2 (maybe a little lower when the PS2 actually hit the market) they might still have a hardware presence. I don't think it could afford to show up any later than it did with Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft all releasing their sixth generation offerings in the 2000-2001 window. 1999 was their do-or-die moment and unfortunately all their bad decisions caught up with them.

Having started with the master system and moved on to genesis -> saturn -> dreamcast I agree that Sega's only problem was poor marketing.

Ten Steps for successful Dreamcast 2:

1: DC2 should be marketed as the underground console, the choice for those burned by the console wars.

2: DC2 should feature an Internet ready frontend to rival xbox live, only free

3: Have AT least 10 AAA titles or ports of AAA titles ready at launch.

4: Full HD remakes of the greats (Sonic 1-3, Sonic & Knuckles, Shining Force, Power Stone Shenmue 1 & 2, etc.) available for download at AT LAUNCH

5: A bonus card worth one free dl of the games above with purchase

6: Blu-Ray compatibility.

7: Keyboard and Mouse compatibility with bundled CoD or Battlefield game out of the box (watch how the FPS market lights the fudge up over KB/M controls)

8: A deal with Bungie for a new IP (see #7)

9: STEAM Compatibility

10: Do Not rush things, make sure everything is ready at launch then watch as the Fourth console maker regains its massive stride.

/daydreams

*adds Ivy the Kiwi to the list of things I am going to buy*

Sega couldn't make consoles to save their children.

SirPumpkinLongshanks:

Optimystic:

Dynamite Headdy, Gunstar Heroes, Shining Force, Phantasy Star... The Genesis had an excellent library which was every bit as good as the SNES. Just because Sonic is the quintessential Genesis series it doesn't mean they're the only good games it had.

Sega wasn't a bad console maker, they just made a lot of poor decisions. The SegaCD and 32X hurt the Saturn, the Game Gear was too bogged down by its bells and whistles to compete with the Gameboy, and the Dreamcast faced flagging consumer confidence and the looming threat of the PS2.

If the Dreamcast came with a built-in DVD player and it was the same price as the PS2 (maybe a little lower when the PS2 actually hit the market) they might still have a hardware presence. I don't think it could afford to show up any later than it did with Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft all releasing their sixth generation offerings in the 2000-2001 window. 1999 was their do-or-die moment and unfortunately all their bad decisions caught up with them.

No streets of rage?

icyneesan:
I can see the headlines now...

Dreamcast 2 released!
*a few months later*
Sony and Microsoft join forces to make ultimate video game console! Dreamcast gets blown out of the water! AGAIN!!

And then everyone laughs. Ha-ha-ha-ha :D

Hell, I'd support the DC2, even if that happens. You know why? That means the awesomeness that the Dreamcast 2 possessed, was so mighty that it forced the SS4 Goku and Vegetas of todays console market, to suck up their pride, do a dance, and fuse into Gogeta just to beat it...

and yes... I totally referenced Dragon Ball GT... I feel dirty about it too...

Yuji Naka could help console makers of the future; if he went to work for Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft.

Bringing out another console contender would flatline that company.
20 years ago we were in the age of 2, for the past 10 years we've been in the age of 3 (and I can see this lasting easily another 10-15 years)

So maybe in 20 years time 4 consoles on the market might be a good idea, but not til then Naka, Sorry.

Honestly I still think it's weird going to the store and not seeing a sega console

Optimystic:

Bearing in mind my 21 year old Megadrive outlasted my not even a year old 360. SEGA have always had the best quality consoles as they were built to last unlike consoles of today.
The 32X, CD and Saturn have fuck all to do with bad consoles. They failed because the consumers didnt want them (well, the SEGA CD anyway). The 32X failed because it wasnt even a year later the Saturn was coming out. The Saturn failed bacause of lack of 3rd party support. You should look things up before you start spouting tripe.

As far as good Megadrive games that weren't Sonic?
Rocket Knight Adventures
Ristar
Golden Axe series
Streets Of Rage
Strider
The Haunting
Ghostbusters
X-Men: The Clone Wars
Zombies Ate My Neighbours
Zool
New Zealand Story
Outrun
Afterburner
Space Harrier
Super Hang-On
Street Racer
Chuck Rock
Taz-Mania games

I know some of these were multiplatform (one or two I think) but you seriously need to troll a bit harder mate

OT: I still use my DC to this day so yeah for the DC2 :D

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or