Final Fantasy XIII Producer Wants a Sequel

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Square Enix producer Yoshinori Kitase just wants his characters to have happy endings, even if it means making a whole new game.

Despite the vast number of Final Fantasy games, there are relatively few that you could consider to be true "sequels." In fact, there's really only ever been one, and that was 2003's Final Fantasy X-2. Kitase has said that he'd be keen to make double that number by making Final Fantasy XIII-2, but in order for it to happen, the fans would have to have to want it.

In an interview in Final Fantasy XIII Ultimania Omega, a companion book for the game, Kitase said that he wanted to expand the Final Fantasy XIII universe beyond what would be seen in Final Fantasy Versus XIII and Agito XIII, and added that he'd like to tell a story where Lightning - one of Final Fantasy XIII's main characters - ends up happy in the end. Kitase said that his team had already begun work on its next game, which given his comments about the fan reaction needed to get it made, probably isn't Final Fantasy XIII-2.

Kitase also explained what happened to the FFXIII DLC. He revealed that there were originally plans to have an area called the Seventh Ark, where players could engage in quest-like battles, but quality concerns, and the vastly different requirements needed to get content approved on Xbox Live and PSN, meant that it was never released. The decision was made that it would be better to move on to the next project, although FFXIII director Motomu Toriyama said that the new game will incorporate some of the ideas that didn't get used as DLC.

Source: Andriasang

This is one Final Fantasy that I rather not see DLC or sequels to. I felt like the game only had a few decent moments after the 2nd final battle. Everything else? Not so much if you're familiar with JRPGs outside of Final Fantasy. Actually, I have a lot of negative comments on this game's story. Not so much the awesome battle system. (Though it flaws itself when common battles can take up to 10 minutes to win.)

No. Just no. If you want a good report of Final Fantasy XIII's gameplay and combat system, you probably shouldn't ask me. But I liked the story. However, nothing can be improved by making it end "happily". The story ended where it should. Leave it be.

I am tempted to say "Hell no", but I think it would be for my own good to get more alienated from the series. I say go ahead. They can't make me disrespect the series more than XIII already did.

added that he'd like to tell a story where Lightning - one of Final Fantasy XIII's main characters - ends up happy in the end.

...she seemed pretty happy at the end of FFXIII to me. Did I miss something?

Lets hope they don't sell it out like they did with VII. Squeenix keep changing their minds about what they're going to release, so I'll believe it when I see it.

Que the people bitching about the game in 3, 2, 1...

I couldnt ever manage to finish final fantasy 13 =\. the Story was fine, combat system was sexy as hell, but the problem that just destroyed the game for me was a few things, the difficulty for one (call me a pussy, it was just too friggin hard), I hated the way it constantly capped your stat growth (up until disc 3), and the fact that there was no world map or towns, not really for any particular reason, its just that always going from the end of one mission straight to the next one made me feel kind of assaulted, like I never got to take a rest.
And the very last problem I faced with it, was the weapons and currency system. I just found it insanely hard to get a good amount of money, and the way you had to buy special materials to upgrade weapons with and just upgrade them constantly always screwed me over and made me uncomfortable.

It was just one too many small issues I had kind of piling up on me. Anyways..sorry for venting, Ive just never gotten the chance to explain why my xbox has FF13 achievements on it but no game completion, cus my friends keep asking me XD.

As for a sequel, well, X-2 had very little in common with final fantasy 10 in terms of combat mechanics, so it was bassicly a whole new game with the same characters and universe. So if FF13-2 whatever the hell it would be called had totally different mechanics, then I would probly have a pretty good time with it :P.

I remember a story of how they cut a lot of the content thay had made for the game, he probably held on to it in order to use it for something later.

They need the fans to want it? Well, good luck with that.

Try making a non-shit game first, then we can talk about sequels. Even if the game was half-decent (like, let's say X) the sequel wasn't exactly up to par anyway. It's not like they already have 2 other games in the XIII universe that still need to prove their worth.

Just keep making new FF games, I thought that's why they always play in a different universe.

He wants a sequel? Maybe he should want a new job as well, because if he's responsible for XIII's game design, layout and structure, he should be fired.

A corridor-based fighting game with RPG elements and a battle system where you can't change the character you're controlling while in the battle, where if they die and the other two party members are at 100% health and both have Raise magic, yet you STILL have Game Over?

I doubt his competence as a producer.

I'm one of the people who really actually enjoyed everything about that game, so I would definately describe myself as a fan... But I REALLY don't see the need for a sequel. I mean, the story seemed quite finished at the end, I can't really see the point in going further, I don't even know what you would include (both story-wise and gameplay-wise) in a sequel.

Amnestic:

added that he'd like to tell a story where Lightning - one of Final Fantasy XIII's main characters - ends up happy in the end.

...she seemed pretty happy at the end of FFXIII to me. Did I miss something?

I'm glad I wasn't the only person who thought this.

While I really enjoyed FFXIII and loved the story and characters (yes, even Vanille) its hard to imagine how they'd do a sequal unless they just abandon all the characaters from XIII and keep the world/lore.

Edit:

u4527646:
I don't even know what you would include (both story-wise and gameplay-wise) in a sequel.

Storywise I'm stumped, but considering the biggest complaint most people have about the combat is not being able to switch, they'll either do a completely new system (like X to X-2) or tweak the system so you can switch mid-combat.

I enjoyed this game. I'm pretty sure most of the haters have no valid reason for not liking it. So what it isn't like the rest? That doesn't make it a bad game. Just pretend it's named something else. Better now?

Really? Why not, if as the director, you want your characters to have a happy ending, give them one, in the original game? Is this too difficult of a concept for the poor man?

...If it's a sequel that is just a ten hour experience where Sazh repeatedly kicks Hope in the balls, then i might be willing to rent it. GOD i hated Hope.

This is where I would usually unleash a torrent of hate in the general direction of FFXIII.

But in this case, it just doesn't seem necessary. Plenty of other people are going to do it for me.

Wait, didn't they lose their fancy l'cie powers at the end of xiii. Good luck fixin that little plot device.

But if he insists, he can always go the route of Reverent Wings. No need for a 7 year dev cycle then.

Mythgraven wants a million dollars.

Whiskey Echo!!
mythgraven

I know my favorite character won't return so I won't bother (unless they cheated the mythology and bring her back)

F... you, I want Final Fantasy 16!

Anthony Yates:
Wait, didn't they lose their fancy l'cie powers at the end of xiii. Good luck fixin that little plot device.

Lightning was still a trained soldier before she got her powers and the enemy soldiers showed that they could somewhat mimic magic as I recall as well. Perhaps her most iconic ability - Army of One - is purely weapon based as I recall, with no magic involved.

Wouldn't be entirely implausible for them to find away around it based on that.

I don't want the FF XIII characters to have happy endings. They don't deserve it.

Final Fantasy XIII:2.

No, it just doesn't seem like it needs a sequel. I thought Lightning seemed happy at the end of the game, but it has been a while and maybe I'm being forgetful.

How about they make a sequel to FF7.. Now that i'd pay good money for aslong as they don't make it the totally linear one-path game that FFXIII was! This might also help silence all the fans who want a remake of FF7 that's probably never gonna happen.

Nifty:
I don't want the FF XIII characters to have happy endings. They don't deserve it.

Feneture:
How about they make a sequel to FF7.

They made two: Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus. You really want another one?

Jiraiya72:
I enjoyed this game. I'm pretty sure most of the haters have no valid reason for not liking it. So what it isn't like the rest? That doesn't make it a bad game. Just pretend it's named something else. Better now?

Hahaha... Oohhh, now I'm depressed.

Where would I even begin. Well, the battle system is so bad that the fans of this games need to argue for it even being gameplay (which it is) rather than it being good gameplay (which it is not). The leveling up system replaces any real customization or choice with pretty colors and hopes that will distract the player from the fact.
And don't get me started on how fucking irritating the encounters progressively become. No challenge, just a shit-ton of HP for enemies. And since you can't avoid the most of them, you end up playing the same 10 minute fight (where you do nothing but switch between healing/attacking paradigms) over and over until you go insane.

Characterizations makes no sense, character development is erratic and is full of They start as one dimensional and flanderized archetypes and end up being just boring after they eventually smooth out the more ridiculous behavior.

The plot is just contrived and forcibly turns around the story from a somewhat original (or at least not as clichéd) premise and could as well make the characters yell things like "Let's save the world!" or "Power of Friendship!".

Brotherofwill:
They need the fans to want it? Well, good luck with that.

Try making a non-shit game first, then we can talk about sequels. Even if the game was half-decent (like, let's say X) the sequel wasn't exactly up to par anyway. It's not like they already have 2 other games in the XIII universe that still need to prove their worth.

Just keep making new FF games, I thought that's why they always play in a different universe.

Well accutaly, FFversus13 and FFagito13 I believe are both in the FF13 universe.

Why would they want to expand the universe of FFXiii it was confusing enough the first time (no I never read the information thingy that that explains how everything works, I'm here to play a game and have fun not sit around and read an 1 hour long explanation of everything that the game couldn't be bothered to explain with this little thing called exposition) and why follow the story of THESE characters when the only one that was remotely likeable or behaved reasonably was Sazh (I hope I've spelt that right).

well FFXIII was a lot better then FFX, and FFX-2 had the best combat system of any FF. So im all for this.

Amnestic:

Nifty:

*edit* Also, I just reported my own post by accident. Be gentle, mods.

Amnestic:

It would have even better if someone just randomly kicked Hope off the nearest cliff (let's face it, Hope is the most hated character of that entire game.. for all good reasoning), and Lightning sucker-punted Snow once more for kicks (For all his "Hero's don't need plans" garbage and horrible trenchcoat attire).

Sadly, this did not happen.

OT: The one game I've ever played where the first Fal'Cie I fought took me two fucking hours to get to him to zero HP deserving of DLC? Hell no!

I completely agree.
This game does deserve it's own FF X-2.
Because some people still like the stupid thing

Since in the only sequel (game) they've produced, they pulled a complete and utter character assassination on the main character (Yuna becoming a freakishly jealous bunnyboiler, anyone?) I'm moe than happy for SE to lay off making any more sequels. Apart from KH3. They need to get their asses in gear on that one, sharpish.

Lightning gets reunited with her sister. Her sister marries her love interest. Sazh reclaims his son.

Am I missing something? It WAS a happy ending!

ShadowsofHope:

It would have even better if someone just randomly kicked Hope off the nearest cliff (let's face it, Hope is the most hated character of that entire game.. for all good reasoning), and Lightning sucker-punted Snow once more for kicks (For all his "Hero's don't need plans" garbage and horrible trenchcoat attire).

No, no, I disagree. Once I found out that Hope wanted to stab Snow in the head, he became my favourite character.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.