Ubisoft Announces HD, 3D Prince of Persia Compilation for PS3

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Ubisoft Announces HD, 3D Prince of Persia Compilation for PS3

The fantastic last-generation Prince of Persia games will soon be coming to a 3D-capable PS3 near you, provided the PS3 near you is in Europe.

Here's the good news: The rumored HD Prince of Persia Trilogy compilation is a real thing, and it will be hitting PS3s everywhere at the end of November.

Here's the better news: The three games - Sands of Time, Warrior Within, and Two Thrones - will be given the full HD upgrade. The trilogy will ship on a single Blu-Ray disc containing 30 hours of play time (or 10 hours per game, for us mathemagicians), and will be remastered in 720p with new textures and anti-aliasing. It will even support stereoscopic 3D, to help you judge jumps more accurately (or to just make you even more motion-sick).

Now, here's the weird news: As far as we can tell, this compilation is not only a PS3 exclusive, it's also a European exclusive. So while our friends in the UK can pick the compilation up for £29.99 (or its equivalent in Euros) on November 19th, Prince of Persia fans this side of the Atlantic are just plain out of luck.

That said, I can't really imagine this being a complete European exclusive for long. Ubisoft would be foolish to go to all the trouble and not release it around the world, no? For the moment, however, we here in the States must sigh and grumble. Lousy Europeans, with their smoking and great beer and Prince of Persia compilations. What've you done for us lately, huh? Huh?

(Via VG247)

Dammit, give me MGS2/3 in a HD redux!

Considering that UK games are dirt cheap and PS3 games are usually code-free, our friends from the other site of the Atlantic could just....you know...buy it.
It's not like with Japanese games here that have a huge language barrier...

all I see is "3D Prince of Persia compilation: Sands of Time, Warrior Within and Two Thrones", but no Prince of Persia 3D, it's disappointing, I loved that game, and I'd like to be able to play it in full HD

and with control issues fixed, that game kicked so much ass

Come on Kojima, announce the MGS collection. I would also like Sony to release a Rachet and Clank, Jak and Daxter and Socom collection.

Hm, here I thought that George Lucas was the only man who could ever get away of re-re-releasing titles, It seems like everybody is now going on a frenzy.

YES! I want timesplitters and possibly SW battlefront as well

Not really seeing the point of this being a PS3 exclusive, even less the fact that it's a European exclusive. Not that I mind though, since I am both of those things. I might pick this up if it's cheap.

Oh well, at least Europe actually gets something first, for a change.

devilmore:
Considering that UK games are dirt cheap and PS3 games are usually code-free, our friends from the other site of the Atlantic could just....you know...buy it.

True it's region-free, but UK games are not "dirt cheap". they're not as bad as some countries are, but if anything they can cost more. Particularly with VAT going up to 20%.

thenumberthirteen:

True it's region-free, but UK games are not "dirt cheap". they're not as bad as some countries are, but if anything they can cost more. Particularly with VAT going up to 20%.

Protip:try to get the games from VAT-free regions like jersey

mad825:

thenumberthirteen:

Protip:try to get the games from VAT-free regions like jersey

Good Idea. I tried that with their delicious ice cream but it melted in the post. Damn Royal Mail.

That's odd... I guess I'm going to have to import it. I could see the Prince of Persia HD Collection coming from a mile away, but the European only threw me off a bit.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I would sacrifice 7 pigs for an MGS Collection.

So God of War collection...then ICO collection...now Prince of Persia. I think this PS3 purchase I made this week will turn out to be AWESOME!

So people have to pay £30 to do what I can already do with my original copy (minus the 3D)?

Anyway, it's weird to have it exclusive to just us.

thenumberthirteen:

devilmore:

Assuming the £40 most consoles game are on release are at 17.5% VAT (they moved it back up from 15% again a while ago, I'm sure) currently, then 2.5% more is £1 more.

PS3 exclusive, huh?.... Oh... That's.... That's cool.... I guess.....

>.>

<.<

Why can't Microsoft get the idea to take an amazing franchise from the past and HDify it?

Woodsey:
So people have to pay £30 to do what I can already do with my original copy (minus the 3D)?

i know... wheres the fire and brimstone?

first DNF is announced then this? it cant be coincidence...

John Funk:
Lousy Europeans, with their smoking and great beer and Prince of Persia compilations. What've you done for us lately, huh? Huh?

Speaking as a European, Swedish to be precise, I'd like to ask YOU, my good sir, the same question.

Javex:

>.>

<.<

it was a PS2 exclusive first. no sense in changing that. ;)

vallorn:

Javex:

>.>

<.<

Not according to Wikipedia it wasn't.

PlayStation 2
NA November 21, 2003
PAL November 21, 2003

Xbox
NA November 12, 2003
PAL February 20, 2004

GameCube
NA November 18, 2003
PAL February 20, 2004

Game Boy Advance
NA October 30, 2003
PAL November 14, 2003

Windows
NA November 30, 2003
PAL December 5, 2003

Woodsey:

vallorn:

Javex:

>.>

<.<

Not according to Wikipedia it wasn't.

PlayStation 2
NA November 21, 2003
PAL November 21, 2003

Xbox
NA November 12, 2003
PAL February 20, 2004

GameCube
NA November 18, 2003
PAL February 20, 2004

Game Boy Advance
NA October 30, 2003
PAL November 14, 2003

Windows
NA November 30, 2003
PAL December 5, 2003

cool. thought they were PS2 exclusive (never saw any other kinds). THE MORE YOU KNOW...

i have no idea why its ps3 exclusive then... but im happy it is! :P

Sorry, us Europeans can't hear you over the puffing of our pipes and foaming pints of ale.

Not that I really care anyway, I'm not legal for either nor do I own a PS3 to enjoy the flashy 3D effects. It's odd that I'm currently replaying through the trilogy then they announce this.

thenumberthirteen:

devilmore:

Yeah, Go thank GAME right now.

OT: Cool, the only one I played was the reboot, and while good, I felt it needed alot of work here and there. Here's hoping that I get to play the greatest series of the last console generation. Or so I'm told.

Calumon: I hope he doesn't want to go to Sparta. :S

Awesome !!!
Only played the Prince of Persia games for a short time so it'll be good to relive some awesome games.
WOOOT
These compilation things are awesome.

The Procrastinated End:
Why can't Microsoft get the idea to take an amazing franchise from the past and HDify it?

This is Ubisoft's work, not Sony.

teh_Canape:
all I see is "3D Prince of Persia compilation: Sands of Time, Warrior Within and Two Thrones", but no Prince of Persia 3D, it's disappointing, I loved that game, and I'd like to be able to play it in full HD

and with control issues fixed, that game kicked so much ass

I have played (and, for my sins, actually finished) Prince of Persia 3D. It is a horrific bastardization of everything the series stood for and should never be mentioned in the same sentence as any other game from the PoP series, unless that sentence is "Prince of Persia 2008 is, if nothing else, better than Prince of Persia 3D".

To be more specific: The controls were ludicrously slow and clunky, the gameplay was absurdly bad and shockingly slow-paced, the combat was just plain broken (I literally killed half of my enemies by constantly attacking them before they'd even gotten their weapon out), the level design made no sense at all (the trademark traps were present, but there was literally no warning, so even the simple act of walking through a door could result in instant death), the plot was so pointless I forgot what it was ten minutes in and the whole experience is almost, but not quite, as bad as Bloodwings: Pumpkinhead's Revenge. Oh, and there were voices, though I wish to god there hadn't been.

Anyone who claims to genuinely enjoy this game is a liar.

But yeah, when are they gonna announce a Ratchet & Clank or Jak & Daxter tetralogy? (Yes, that includes Deadlocked and Jak X. Well, I liked them.)

Darth Marsden:
snip

thanks for the kind words mister, I love when people rapes my childhood into shit

yet, I loved that game, I played the shit out of that game, I have beaten that game.

I respect your opinion, it's okay if you and the rest of the world hates it and denies it existence, I just dont give a flying fuck how bad it is, I enjoy it

it's a guilty pleasure of mine, like spending an afternoon drinking beers and playing Hotel Mario

Well, thank heavens I already got my copy of the Prince of Persia trilogy for the PC. ;)

teh_Canape:
it's a guilty pleasure of mine, like spending an afternoon drinking beers and playing Hotel Mario

...really?

Well hey, if you liked it, then who am I to stop you. I have my own guilty pleasures, after all (do not mention Unreal 2, do not mention Unreal 2...). I'm just amazed you actually finished it while drunk. :p

Oh boy. More lazy compilations of games that don't need porting so we can spend less time working on brand new games.

Plus these are Ubisoft games, they have no value anyway.

Darth Marsden:
But yeah, when are they gonna announce a Ratchet & Clank or Jak & Daxter tetralogy? (Yes, that includes Deadlocked and Jak X. Well, I liked them.)

Not until the PS4, I hope. Insomniac and Naughty Dog should be more self respecting than to waste their time making collections of games that don't need collections yet.

That and Naughty Dog is too busy with Uncharted to even remember that Jak and Daxter exists. Seriously, fuck any talk of a Jak collection, make a new Jak game.

Interesting choice to make a European exclusive. I think it's about time developers and publishers realised there are more continents in the world than North America. Ready to jump on the import bandwagon. I had to do the same for God of War too because it took about 8 months to get released in Australia.

Also yes, I am aware that Ubisoft is French so you don't need to point that out.

Its not like the console or games are region locked right? So why cant we just import them?

Woodsey:

Both of these things are exactly what I was thinking. But I can't even fault them, everyone else seems to want these compilations in HD...

Well I tested the PS3's 3D at EuroGamer Expo, it's actually impressive.

Darth Marsden:
really?

Well hey, if you liked it, then who am I to stop you. I have my own guilty pleasures, after all (do not mention Unreal 2, do not mention Unreal 2...). I'm just amazed you actually finished it while drunk. :p

wh-

why do you think I was drunk when I've beaten it?, sure I had a couple beers to set the mood, but not that much

on a side note, excuse me if my previous post came out a little offensive, I just got the feeling that you were calling me a retard for liking and/or finding good aspects of widely shitty games, go figure =P

Mmmmmmm, delicious! If it' comes over to the US, I'll definitely give it a shot.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here