Ubisoft Wants to Dominate Kinect

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Ubisoft Wants to Dominate Kinect

Ubisoft's North American boss Laurent Detoc sees big things in the future for Kinect, saying it will be a "must-have" brand, like the iPad.

Speaking at an event in San Francisco that focused solely on Ubisoft's Kinect games, Detoc said that the publisher wanted to be the biggest third-party publisher for the device, and thought that Kinect would lower the barrier for entry into playing videogames, much like Nintendo's DS and Wii before it.

Detoc thought that Ubisoft had taken the right approach with Kinect, making dozens of prototypes, but just focusing in on a handful of games to bring to market. He believed that the publisher was in a good position to take the number one spot, because it had recognized Kinect's potential straight away, and had solid technology backing it up.

Ubisoft is working on five Kinect titles, three of which will be launch titles. Detoc said that Ubisoft had no worries about supporting Kinect so strongly, saying that consumers would consider it a "cool" device and that "must have" quality, plus the amount of money Microsoft was spending on promotion, would drive Xbox 360 and Kinect sales. He didn't think that the $150 price tag was going to be too much of a problem either, because he felt that Kinect actually represented great value for money.

Ubisoft won't have bet the proverbial farm on Kinect, but it sounds like it's sunk enough resources into it that it's going to sting if it's a flop. Still, Microsoft is predicting sales of around 3 million over the holidays, and if it's right, Ubisoft is going to be well positioned to take advantage of a brand new audience for the 360.

Kinect launches in North America on November 4th, in Europe on November 10th, and in Australia on November 18th.

Source: Gamasutra

If this thing is a "must-have" in the same way that the iPad is, then count me even further out.

The iPad is a must have?

News to me...

Anyway Ubisoft often make amazing games... so if they want to back Kinect I say let them.

They may produce some shovelware but hopefully they'll apply themselves to some games and really show off Kinects power.

GeneticallyModifiedDucks:
If this thing is a "must-have" in the same way that the iPad is, then count me even further out.

If this is where the industry is headed, count me out! Out of service, out of Escapist, I wouldn't hang about!

GamesB2:
They may produce some shovelware but hopefully they'll apply themselves to some games and really show off Kinects power.

What is Kinect's power? I really don't see why people are so excited about it. As technology, sure, it's cool. As gaming technology it's a very flawed idea. I don't like the idea of developers putting more effort into Kinect games than they would into proper games, because I'm sure as hell never getting one of these.

SonicWaffle:

If this is where the industry is headed, count me out! Out of service, out of Escapist, I wouldn't hang about!

GamesB2:

What is Kinect's power? I really don't see why people are so excited about it. As technology, sure, it's cool. As gaming technology it's a very flawed idea. I don't like the idea of developers putting more effort into Kinect games than they would into proper games, because I'm sure as hell never getting one of these.

Yeah. If this forum ever became full of kinect people, I'd probably leave.

Furthermore, I will now make an effort to not buy this.

Seriously, why? Why would you want this?

iPad is a must-have? WHY HAS NOBODY TOLD ME THAT?!

Oh, right, because it's completely untrue in every way.

If I wanted to spend money on gimmicky games so that I could flail around in my room instead of using a regular controller, I'd buy a Wii. Which would probably cost less, already has a decent sized stable of games and isn't an overpriced webcam. Ubisoft should stick to making games for a platform that is going to last rather than split their resources.

SonicWaffle:

Just look at Milo... that illustrates one aspect of Kinects power. Being able to recognise voice and scan objects in the room. Being able to create one of the most powerful AIs to date.

But of course that's all Peter Molyneux and his teams work.

Ubisoft have made games in the past like Endwar and they recently released R.U.S.E.

Both are great ideas, which all have drawbacks on a console. But what if Ubisoft really tasked their team to this, so you could control all your units by moving your hands in front of the Kinect sensor while ordering them using your voice.

I actually think Ubisoft is perfect for this because they have tried to implement console RTS a lot... with varying degrees of success held against Halo Wars... depending on how you view those games.

Kinect from a technical standpoint is an amazing piece of tech, and I agree that it is vitally flawed for general gaming. However there are ways to work around this and I think Ubisoft would be a great industry leader.

I could ramble on for ages but I have a Japanese class to attend... so I need to end this now.

oh bro, you gave me a good laugh, Detoc

now, seriously bro, Kinect?

come on, how much did Micro$oft paid you?

SonicWaffle:

Umm... sorry. I disagree with your views about Kinect (though I agree we've not yet seen any particular killer applications of the tech) because I believe it could still change the way we play games...

BUT: I have to give you mad props for a stunning Lion King reference. It made my day at least 300% better. Thanks! :)

Well it only takes a few really good games to shift tons of this stuff (I'm fairly sure that the vast majority of Wii sales were due to Wii Sports (Tennis/Bowling mainly)), if they focus right then I could see it happening. It's going to be interesting anyway.

Oh and lol @ the elitism in this thread. "Lowly casual gamers? Pah! Begone from my fine forum! I've played CoD, dontchaknow!"

Seriously Ubisoft, you've got maybe 10 months left of shelf-life before you get bought out and dumped.

The_root_of_all_evil:
Seriously Ubisoft, you've got maybe 10 months left of shelf-life before you get bought out and dumped.

If they manage to churn out AssCreed 3 in good time they might get a life-saving injection which would keep them on their feet for a bit longer.

GamesB2:

I actually think Ubisoft is perfect for this because they have tried to implement console RTS a lot... with varying degrees of success held against Halo Wars... depending on how you view those games.

While Kinect does offer the "next-gen" in possible console RTS games, it's still not good enough. There's not going to be any feedback from flailing in the air, it'll be far more imprecise than a mouse cursor and the lack of any keyboard shortcuts will handicap it to begin with.

Ubisoft's Endwar did not impress me from a technical standpoint. Their one major attraction ("play it with your voice") didn't work for me and consistently and regularly got orders wrong. Halo Wars was Fisher-Price's "My First RTS" and I have no reason to believe Kinect will offer anything really better.

I might be wrong, but as it stands, I believe that the DS with its touch screen is a better RTS platform than Kinect is. If I'm proven wrong, then eh, I'll have been proven wrong.

I would pay good money to see a 1on1 match in any RTS between a guy that's really good with mouse&keyboard(read: approx. 35 to 40 keybinds) and a guy who totally owns kinect&voice control.

/runs off to buy the fucking iPad since it seems to be a must have >_>

VulakAerr:
Umm... sorry. I disagree with your views about Kinect (though I agree we've not yet seen any particular killer applications of the tech) because I believe it could still change the way we play games...

BUT: I have to give you mad props for a stunning Lion King reference. It made my day at least 300% better. Thanks! :)

Good to see that somebody got it! It's what I'm here for: brightening up people's days with Disney references and being terribly racist towards Albanians. Damn them, with their ways and their love of Norman Wisdom...

Haha, as soon as I read that Kinect will be a "muts-have" as much as the iPad, I realized the Ubisoft guy was a very clever troll and so I read the rest of the article in the sarcastic way it was obviously meant to be taken :)

Oh Ubisoft, you crack me up with your shenanigans.

Since when has the iPad been the "must have" item? Its just 4 iPod touches superglued together; and it doesnt even fit in my pocket.

I do like a majority of Ubisofts games though, so them getting behind Kinect is nothing but good news; it breaths SOME light of hope into the technology.

They better make some titles worth it though; Garden of Eden looks fun but not $150 worth of fun. They need to make titles that can make the consumer justify that $150 price tag.

GamesB2:
Just look at Milo...

I'd rather not, that little fuck is creepy. Soulless beast that he is...

GamesB2:
that illustrates one aspect of Kinects power. Being able to recognise voice and scan objects in the room. Being able to create one of the most powerful AIs to date.

Remember that this is how it is being marketed. By Molyneux, no less, he of the oh-so-trustworthy hype.

GamesB2:
Both are great ideas, which all have drawbacks on a console. But what if Ubisoft really tasked their team to this, so you could control all your units by moving your hands in front of the Kinect sensor while ordering them using your voice.

Honestly? It'd piss me off. Let's assume for one moment that they've worked out every possible noise or motion issue with regards to instructing your troops - barking dogs, ringing phones, people walking between you and the sensor, the voice recognition misunderstanding an order or the motion system misinterpreting your hand movements etc - it still isn't going to be as precise as a mouse-and-keyboard setup. I doubt it'll be as easy to sustain either, as it'll involve more movement and talking and generally just be more wearying.

GamesB2:
Kinect from a technical standpoint is an amazing piece of tech, and I agree that it is vitally flawed for general gaming. However there are ways to work around this and I think Ubisoft would be a great industry leader.

The Wii is an amazing piece of tech, and is flawed for general gaming. This is fine, because it's found a niche market and aggressively exploited it, and made fucktons of money doing so. My problem with Kinect is that from what I've seen, developers are trying to fit it around general gaming and make it a part of more than just casual games. This is what turns me off. I don't want to have to buy a very expensive and annoying system just to get the full game experience.

GamesB2:
I could ramble on for ages but I have a Japanese class to attend... so I need to end this now.

Domo arigato, Mr Roboto. Never having taken a Japanese class in my life I have no idea what that means, but in this context I'm using it as "later, dude" :-P

The only time I gave a flip about iPad was when the Blendtec guy got a hold of one.

Will it blend? It sure as hell did! That little retard TV had it coming, too.

I wonder if he'll blend a Kinect...

I need to go update my youtube subs.

But who here has an iPad? Seeing how it's a must have, I'm sure I'll get more people quoting me saying that they proudly have one versus those who quote me saying Ubisoft made an error here.

RIGHT?

SonicWaffle:

Is it bad that I get the reference?

OT: Well, I don't have an xbox 360 and don't plan on getting one so the whole connect and move thing are really passing me over.

GamesB2:

You make it sound as if UbiSoft are a one-team developer, rather than a publisher with a number of studios.

Bob_Bobbington:

SonicWaffle:

Only if you take bad to mean SUPER COOL AND AWESOME!

I mean, who doesn't love the Lion King?

SonicWaffle:

Bob_Bobbington:

SonicWaffle:

Only if you take bad to mean SUPER COOL AND AWESOME!

I mean, who doesn't love the Lion King?

Well, I seem to remember it despite not seeing the Lion King in close to 12 years. My memory amazes me sometimes.

I just get the feeling Ubisoft is the king of bad decision, be it their DRM-schemes to their movie tie-in ideas to this. It's as if they're governed by their own little king Ludvig who's more concerned with the latest fashion and squeezing coin out of the peasantry than actually doing something worthwhile.

coldalarm:
You make it sound as if UbiSoft are a one-team developer, rather than a publisher with a number of studios.

I also make Peter Molyneux sound like a one man wonder... I'm, fully aware they're both not, but to start talking in terms of the different developer and studios and in-house development teams Vs third party would really elongate and confuse my point... it's much easier to say 'Ubisoft makes great games! ... sometimes.'

GamesB2:
Just look at Milo... that illustrates one aspect of Kinects power. Being able to recognise voice and scan objects in the room. Being able to create one of the most powerful AIs to date.

Except that Milo was completely staged and development on it has been canceled.

Furthermore, you are completely mistaken about how an AI works. Hint: it requires more processing cycles, not motion sensors. Refer to this game as to what's a good AI.

God Ubisoft. You going to fuck up on more now?

Bob_Bobbington:
Well, I seem to remember it despite not seeing the Lion King in close to 12 years. My memory amazes me sometimes.

Yeah, it's probably been about as long since I saw it, but when I read the other poster's line the words just popped into my head. It happens sometimes. It's astonishing the amount of utterly useless shit our brains store away, isn't it?

Overpriced, irrelevant in my household, and, quite frankly, the launch line-up is, not to put too fine a point on it, fucking atrocious.

Kinect Launch Titles by Category

Dance:
Dance Paradise
Dance Masters/Dance Dance Evolution (Europe)
Dance Central

Fitness:
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved
The Biggest Loser: Ultimate Workout
Get Fit with Mel B

Dance & Fitness:
Zumba Fitness

Sports/Minigames:
MotionSports
Game Party in Motion
Kinect Adventures
Deca Sports Freedom/Sports Island Freedom (Europe)
Kinect Sports

Dedicated Sports Game
Fighters Uncaged
Adrenaline Misfits/Crossboard 7 (Europe)

Racing:
Kinect Joy Rider
Sonic Free Riders

Animal Simulator:
Kinectimals

The only one that looks even remotely interesting to me is the Adrenaline Misfits thing, but then again, with the terrible saturation of fitness "games" and minigame compilations, that really doesn't say a lot. Where's the imagination?

Asehujiko:
Except that Milo was completely staged and development on it has been canceled.

Yeah but the point was the tech behind it, Peter Molyneux was never sure if he could ship it, and all the tech used on Milo is now being tested on Fable.

Furthermore, you are completely mistaken about how an AI works. Hint: it requires more processing cycles, not motion sensors. Refer to this game as to what's a good AI.

Galactic Civilizations 2?

I will say I haven't played it extensively so I can't comment in depth... but from what I've seen so far it's a fairly simple counter AI. It doesn't really react to what you do in varying ways, AI players behave in two ways depending on which race they control, and how you develop your empire.

Yes it works, but I'd say Milo was far more advanced. The Kinect sensor had incredibly little to do with his AI. It was all stemmed from behavioural conditioning, as it should be.

Besides Peter Molyneux worked on Black and White 2... such a simple but clever AI.
I freakin' love Peter Molyneux...

You folks are aware that the iPad sold 3 million units in two and a half months, right? That's a remarkably successful hardware launch.

Dominating the Kinect is like dominating a dead hooker. It's not that hard to do, nobody is quite sure why yer doing it, and it's not going to make you hardly any money.

"ubisoft wants to sexually dominate kinect"

I love it how they're proud to be the loudest company to create shovelware for it.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here