Sega Promises Internet Fame for Supporting Sonic 4

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Sega Promises Internet Fame for Supporting Sonic 4

Internet fame awaits those that must have Sonic on every device possible.

By mid-October, Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 will be available on four different platforms: XBLA, PSN, WiiWare, and iOS. Fans of the Sonic titles from the Genesis days were probably planning to pick it up already, but likely on just one or two devices at most. On the other hand, if you want to go overboard and buy it on every platform, Sega is promising to post on the internet that it likes you.

As revealed on Sega's forums, the company will be offering three levels of loyalty bonuses to Episode 1 buyers. If you can prove that you've bought two or more versions of the game, Sega will provide an appropriate reward.

Purchasers of two versions will get their names posted on an MVP list within a "special sticky thread" on the Sega and Sonic 4 forums and websites. Those that buy it on three platforms will get the same, a shout-out on the Sega blogs and Sonic 4 website, a bucket of digital kittens (Sega's horrifying kitten link, not mine), and placement in a "cool spot" elsewhere that is still to be revealed.

And if people really go crazy and buy Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 on the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii, and iPhone/iPad, they'll get all of the above and a special video shout-out from Sega employees that will be posted on YouTube and Sega's websites. So if you've got a spare $55 laying around, go for it.

I'm not one to criticize marketing tactics, but it feels odd that Sega is promoting what seems like needless spending by offering brief internet fame. I seriously doubt that Sonic fans need what is basically an identical version of the game on three separate consoles. At most, a console and a handheld device purchase makes sense. Still, we know there are going to be people buying all four versions just because of this promotion, and some of them may even be reading this sentence right now. I forgive you.

Source: Sega Forums

Given that this is the fandom who decided to boycott newer Sonic games via buying the older ones...I'd say it's probable this tactic will actually work. :p

Well, if the game is good enough on the XBLA, I may buy it on the PSN also. My PS3 has a small library.

Still, the 'fame' part of this seems odd. Why not let fans who bought this game show off their Sonic game collection instead? That would be more fun.

Why? Why pay money for the exact same thing more than once?

I can be a Sonic fan without Sega's approval.

If they want my money that bad they'll offer a huge Episode bundle in the near future for a decent price. Then I will buy it, and our interaction can stay sane and non-dipshit.

Huh. Well, whaddaya know, I don't have a Wii or an iPhone.

What a shame. [/sarcasm]

Tom Goldman:
a bucket of digital kittens (Sega's horrifying kitten link, not mine)

D'awww. It's so adorably hideous.

Tom Goldman:
Snip

Is it just me, or has Sega finally reliazed that their fans are way to into Sonic?

Diligent:

" A Fool and his Money are soon Parted "

Pretty much says it all.

Yes because I care about internet fame. :\

Loonerinoes:
Given that this is the fandom who decided to boycott newer Sonic games via buying the older ones...I'd say it's probable this tactic will actually work. :p

My thoughts exactly.

Why don't they just do a donate button and if you give the 40$ or whatever they'll do this for you. Cause this amounts to pretty much the same thing.

Well the Internet is little more than an e-penis waving contest, so their will always be some diehard tosspot who wants the fifteen seconds of fame that comes with it.

Well that's pretty stupid. Even buying two versions is stupid. Even if one is portable, it's still the same damn game, just even worse because of no buttons and tilt controls for special stages (from what I hear in reviews anyway).

Instead of this stupid crap, how about you release the rest of the game properly, SEGA? When you're about to release part 1 of an episodic game, you should not be giving interviews in which you admit you don't even know how many future episodes are coming yet. That screams "This is going to be like Half Life 2 Episode 3 and come out if we ever decide to finish it" and that is doing it wrong. Maybe if you ask nicely, Telltale will teach you how to do episodic gaming properly and then you won't have to resort to "Buy all four versions of the game and we'll thank you in video!" tactic for sales.

Tom Goldman:
Fans of the Sonic titles from the Genesis days were probably planning to pick it up already, but likely on just one or two devices at most.

What? No. Most of us are sighing and shaking our heads realizing this is still going to flop.
I'm a huge Sonic 1 through S&K fan but this just isn't going to cut it, and I know it.

Unless someone else from that era comes up to me foamy mouthed and wide eyed claiming it is the little blue fuzz balls' second coming I can just gladly go on believing he's dead.

Pointless waste of money, but at least it's a different take on marketing. I know it's purely financially motivated, but I'm oddly pleased by the angle.

I'll probably grab a single copy, considering the Sonic games basically started gaming for me, and I still replay them on occasion, but I'm not about to pay for the same thing over and over again.

Wish there was a PC version, I've grown accustomed to playing the Sonic games emulated.

I hope anyone who would actually drop upward of $50 or more for multiple versions of the same game realizes this is still just Episode 1. If you're such a fan, why not save your money for, you know, the rest of the game?

Joey Keller. You now know my name. There, I have achieved the level of "fame" Saga promised me.

Thanks but I'm good with one copy of the same game.

This doesn't sound so much like:
'Buy three copies of our game and we'll revere you as an internet legend!'

As much as it sounds like:
'Buy three copies of our one game and we'll post your name on our website so that people can question/mock your mental and financial stability for buying the same game three times!'

At least that's how it sounds to me.
But, then again I am a huge cynic when it comes to the Internet.

Achievement Unlocked: Sad Bastard.

I heard that this is a prequel to "Sonichu".

I bet Ian Brandon Something will be all over this game and buy all four just to help his love quest.

I hate to say it but...

...I'm slightly tempted. Slightly.

I wonder what "proof" you have to give them in order to get the various shout outs and video mentions....

Because I am sure I could grab people who are buying various versions of the game and say "Look, heres me buying them all" and get a shout out for all of us saying we all chipped in to buy all the copies together.

Probably wouldn't work, but i'm pretty sure someone out there will exploit this, even though theres very little to gain. Parring ofc destroying the whole stupid concept of this, which i'm depressed I was actually tempted by for a moment,

I would do this, for sure, but I can't get all four since I don't have an iPhone, I have an EVO, which works off of the Android operating system and has the same app market.

*Sadface*

Why no PC version through Steam? I'd like it more than playing it on my Wii. =[
(Hell, even an Android version would be cool also, but not as much as a PC version)

Let's do it guys.
I want 50,000 people to do this just so Sega needs to make a day long video listing off shout outs.

I... don't get the point of buying the same fucking game on multiple consoles. But it is making me rather suspect now.

I'm going to get the xbox360 version IF i got another it would be the iPhone version, the promise of internet stardom doesnt sway me much.

Although if we all spend rakes on Sonic and make Sega a cash pile to shame even Nintendo they might create a nice Shenmue III for us because they'll be rolling in the monies.

And if people really go crazy and buy Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 on the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii, and iPhone/iPad, they'll get all of the above and a special video shout-out from Sega employees that will be posted on YouTube and Sega's websites. So if you've got a spare $55 laying around, go for it.

Considering that it's the same game, how is any of that an incentive for throwing away money on Sega's thousandth attempt at reviving their dead hedgehog in the eyes of fans?

And if anything, I'd be positively embarrassed to have a youtube shout-out dedicated to how I foolishly bought the same game four times so that my theoretical PS3/360/Wii lineup doesn't have an Entertainment Center War to short-circuit (and red-ring) one other out of jealously over the glory of who gets Sonic 4! Then heaven forbid that theoretical apple platform catches wind of any of those three getting Sonic 4, but not Mr. iPrat! Why, if we neglect him, then our music files will all be deleted...

I have an even better idea for Sega: Why not make One Sonic game that doesn't suck and is actually worth $55 in the first place? [1]

[1] Not that I'm saying Sonic 4 will be good or bad, but it only feels sensible to be wary of Sega + Sonic. After all, it's not as though history doesn't have a say on this matter.

No Steam support? Not even remotely interested.

Nice gesture though, in a really creepy "Buy our shit more than once!" way.

So I read the headline, and then the details...

(pondering)

Wait so their definition of internet fame is...

(thinking)

It sounds so ridiculous, but it has to make sense somehow...

(contemplating)

(ERROR... ERROR... 1.e+100... CANNOT DIVIDE BY ZERO...)

This makes as much sense as the first year of Spike TV's video game awards. Who comes up with these prizes?

SelectivelyEvil13:
[quote]

I have an even better idea for Sega: Why not make One Sonic game that doesn't suck and is actually worth $55 in the first place? [1]

I second that motion. It makes a lot more sense.

[1] Not that I'm saying Sonic 4 will be good or bad, but it only feels sensible to be wary of Sega + Sonic. After all, it's not as though history doesn't have a say on this matter.

Well, I don't have any of those. What price minor internet stardom? Let's find out...

Base 360: $199.99
Base PS3: $299.99
Base Wii: $199.99
Base iPod Touch: $229.00
Sonic 4 (4 copies): $55.00

Grand Total: $983.97 (tax not included)

Hmm. Thanks, but no thanks, Sega. If this thing hasn't been torn to shreds by the time (or if you ever) you release the PC version, then you can get back to me.

Until then, my Genesis awaits.

That sounds stupid. It sounds Caboose stupid. Excuse me while I smash my head against a wall

Internet fame is at the bottom of the fame ladder. In fact it goes like this;

Bottom of the fame ladder:
Reality TV star
Serial Killer
Internet Famous

Digikid:

Diligent:

" A Fool and his Money are soon Parted "

Pretty much says it all.

Also triples their profit margins and guarantees them more money in an easy step.

Seems really obvious that they are really saying "give us triple the ammount of money you pay by buying the game 3 times!".

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here