Archie Comics Absorbs Mega Man

Archie Comics Absorbs Mega Man

The company behind Archie is leaving Riverdale behind to give Mega Man his time to shine.

Archie Comics has announced that it'll be producing a brand new monthly comic book series featuring Capcom's Mega Man. For now, the book will focus on the classic Mega Man first seen on the NES, but variants on the original blue bomber are also planned for the future.

Mega Man #1 will hit newsstands and comic book stores in spring 2011. The creative team putting the series together is artist Patrick Spaziante and writer Ian Flynn, known for their work on Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog books.

Archie Comics is promising a faithful take on Mega Man and his universe, with editor Paul Kaminski saying it will "hold true to the spirit of the old school with a fresh eye on Mega Man's strong potential in the world of American comics." The book apparently even names Mega Man Rock, his original Japanese title, when not wearing the helmet.

Though an entire twelve issues (or more) could likely be filled up with Mega Man's attempts to get past those frustrating disappearing platforms, it's unlikely. Instead, we'll probably see various robot masters show up and cause mischief, with Dr. Wily as the series' main villain.

If the book does well, Kaminski says Archie hopes to "fully explore not only [the] classic world, but the other spin-offs including Mega Man X, Mega Man Zero, Mega Man Legends and more." CEO of Archie Comics Jon Goldwater says that the creative team understands Mega Man "inside and out."

The entire announcement of the comic series indicates that Archie wants gamers to be proud of their version of Mega Man. For the series to do that, I think it'll have to represent what Mega Man is all about, which is progression and enhancement. If robot masters are actually destroyed and absorbed by Mega Man, never to return, I think that would make for a more compelling story than one where the same enemies constantly get knocked out and come back in a later issue. We'll see if Archie can pull of its goals for the series next year.

Hmmmmm.
It sounds interesting.
And i like the cover of that issue.

I may haft to check this out.

DO BATTLE NETWORK
DO BATTLE NETWORK
DO BATTLE NETWORK

Quite possibly one of the best game series ever.

EDIT: Sans BN4.

Megaman Legends....yeah...good stuff.

Lord Krunk:
DO BATTLE NETWORK
DO BATTLE NETWORK
DO BATTLE NETWORK

Don't forget sans 5, 6, and battlechip challenge.

Lord Krunk:
DO BATTLE NETWORK
DO BATTLE NETWORK
DO BATTLE NETWORK

They did. It was in manga form, though.

Souplex:

Lord Krunk:
DO BATTLE NETWORK
DO BATTLE NETWORK
DO BATTLE NETWORK

Haven't played Battlechip Challenge, but I loved 5 and 6.

2 and 3 were the best though.

Nostalgia Ripoff:

Lord Krunk:
DO BATTLE NETWORK
DO BATTLE NETWORK
DO BATTLE NETWORK

Know if it was any good?

There's nothing I didn't like about this bit of information. I just hope this comic is good. That would just be awesome if Archie comics graduate to Mega Man X.

The X series, I can kinda see that. Legends, I definitely see potential. Zero...could these guys make a comic to fit the epicness? I'm just saying that if they plan to do the Zero series, they better hold to the theme really well.

Lord Krunk:

Nostalgia Ripoff:

Lord Krunk:
DO BATTLE NETWORK
DO BATTLE NETWORK
DO BATTLE NETWORK

Know if it was any good?

I can't remember. I bought it when the show was on, and at that point I never read manga so I was just confused on how to read it.
Edit: I just looked it up. It was based on the anime that was based on the game. That count's, right?

When I read this I was like this: 8D

Then when I realized I will most likely never see it here in Lebanon I was like this: D,8

Ah well, I just hope they do a good job in making the comic.

Nostalgia Ripoff:

Lord Krunk:

Nostalgia Ripoff:

Lord Krunk:
DO BATTLE NETWORK
DO BATTLE NETWORK
DO BATTLE NETWORK

Know if it was any good?

I can't remember. I bought it when the show was on, and at that point I never read manga so I was just confused on how to read it.

Well, thanks for letting me know. I'll be searching for it now.

I suppose Archie Comics has to do something. Dunno how many units of Archie they can sell, especially without the Punisher involved (yes, there was a Archie/Punisher crossover, which just the thought of that makes me laugh).

The Great JT:
I suppose Archie Comics has to do something. Dunno how many units of Archie they can sell, especially without the Punisher involved (yes, there was a Archie/Punisher crossover, which just the thought of that makes me laugh).

That, at least was tongue in cheek.

Archie Published several comics when I was younger. Didn't they publish the long-running Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comic based on the cartoon (as in, not the Mirage Studios one)?

Zachary Amaranth:

The Great JT:

That, at least was tongue in cheek.

Archie Published several comics when I was younger. Didn't they publish the long-running Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comic based on the cartoon (as in, not the Mirage Studios one)?

They did, in addition to the Sonic comics and Archie and Sabrina The Teenage Witch (AKA "Riverdale's Hot Goth Chick").

Look like I'm collecting both Sonic and Mega Man comics next year.

I used to read the sonic ones in the 90's and they did a pretty good job with those. Problem is though it's STILL going on as far as I know which makes me think they might do megaman to death too. Luckily they have alot to cover before then.

"Archie Comics: We've sucked for 71 years, but you morons keep buying us."

the first thing that comes to mind when I hear this is "welcome to a top the 4th wall.. where bad comic burn." hehe

Lord Krunk:
DO BATTLE NETWORK
DO BATTLE NETWORK
DO BATTLE NETWORK

Glad people still remember Battle Network.

The Great JT:

They did, in addition to the Sonic comics and Archie and Sabrina The Teenage Witch (AKA "Riverdale's Hot Goth Chick").

I enjoyed the Sonic comics, too. Don't know if they'd hold up now, but then, I'd have to dig through 9 million boxes in storage just to find out. They were fun then, though.

Serious response: Cool. I'll have to look into that.

Fanboy response: Eeeeeeee! I already adore the Sonic comics and now they're doing this!? Sweet Jesus 2011 is the year of undiluted awesome!

The thing about this is first, you're going to have the detractors who are weeaboo's and are going to start quoting the admittadly awesome Manga and Anime of these different series (though MMZ's Manga isn't that good, IMO). Then, you're going to have people who don't care about the manga, but who will shit bricks if they perceiver anything as being different than how they perceive the MM world. If they can get past these two main detractors, who can turn public opinion against them, they'll be fine.

Honestly, it looks awesome, though the actual nature of the comics would be interesting because of how it shifts. Megaman is very cartoony, bright, and colorful. MMX is fairly dark; people betray each other, there is love, desperation, etc. Also, people die fairly often, so going from Megaman to Megaman X will be a shock for those who don't realize it/only eand up readin the comics (seriously, there are people who only read the Sonic comics and have never played any of them games).

Than there is MMZ, which is not just fairly dark, it's full on Post-great war that destroys most of the planets eco-system, and really gets deep in there showing how this has made the world.

MMZX is about the same level of mature themes as MMX, MML is brighter than MMX but darker than MM, and MM:BN runs the gamut depending on the game and scenario.

Souplex:

Lord Krunk:
DO BATTLE NETWORK
DO BATTLE NETWORK
DO BATTLE NETWORK

Battlechip Challenge was awesome though...A surprisingly deep strategy game.

I await the issue where they all find out Roll is homosexual and they all accept her as she is.

I wonder if Dr. Wily's plans get foiled in this issue.

This is gonna be fantastic.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here