NYCC 2010 Hands On: Golden Sun Dark Dawn

Control the elements with your djinn in the rebirth of this GBA favorite.

Golden Sun Dark Dawn for the DS picks up 30 years after the events of the GBA games, with the original characters' descendents signing up for hero duty this time around. From what I played, the core turn-based JRPG gameplay remains largely unchanged, with the emphasis once again on collecting djinn. Djinn are creatures that give you access to different kinds of elementally-themed powers called "psynergy"; the more you find, the stronger spells you can cast. The djinn themselves also have abilities that can be used in battle, such as lowering enemy defenses or healing members of your party. When enough djinn have been used and put on "standby," they can all summon deities like Atalanta or Rameses, which do devastating amounts of damage.

Unfortunately, the demo I got to play was very short. First, I got to work through the basics of battle, attacking with weapons, casting spells, and summoning deities with my djinn. The combat will feel immediately familiar to fans of the series, but newcomers should have no trouble picking up Dark Dawn's strategy. I also got to try a level that focused more on how you can use the djinn's power to solve environmental puzzles. I had to navigate my way through a simple obstacle course using two spells: fire and move. Fire, as you might expect, burns things away and lights fuses, while move can shove objects at a distance. I had to roll a few logs in the proper sequence to clear a path, and move statues over fountains to save a djinn - nothing too taxing. I was a bit stumped when I saw a djinn trapped at the top of a tree, but the Nintendo rep suggested I think about what I would do if my cat were trapped up a tree. When I tried to use fire to burn the tree down, he shook his head. "You must be a dog person."

You can use the stylus, the stylus and face buttons, or just the buttons to interact with Dark Dawn; I absolutely hated trying to use the stylus to control the spells and quickly abandoned that approach for buttons-only. Perhaps it was just that the unit I was playing had fallen victim to thousands of Comic Con attendees, but I found the stylus to be sloppy and unresponsive. Once I switched to the d-pad and buttons, I had no problems at all.

Dark Dawn's look is completely in keeping with the previous Golden Suns - bright, colorful sprites, dramatic deities and adorable little djinn. I wish I'd gotten to play more, but I guess I'll have to wait until the game comes out on November 29.

man i want this game! i had (and loved) the GBA ones...and even after the GBA had gone to the console graveyard i still played it on the VBA emulator....although i gave up on my DS years ago due to the games that were too childish...might have to invest in one again just to play this!

side note!
when it comes to RPG's on the DS, another good 'un would be "Contact" which is a rather unheard of RPG, but totally freaking sweet and original! a must get/check that out game!

I tried at least five times to play the first one, but I always lost interest by the town with the flooded caves. I always feel bad about it, too, because I can tell the game is great, but I just can't get into it :(

EDIT: To further express my point here, I WANT to try Dark Dawn, but I absolutely cannot risk buying it or else it might be a waste of money for me. I already made the same mistake this year with Brutal Legend. Don't want to make it again.

*Fanboy Squeal* Oh my God I am so excited for this game. My playthrough of the first one was about 80 hours and the second one 100 hours so I am so stoked for this game

Susan Arendt:
You can use the stylus, the stylus and face buttons, or just the buttons to interact with Dark Dawn; I absolutely hated trying to use the stylus to control the spells and quickly abandoned that approach for buttons-only. Perhaps it was just that the unit I was playing had fallen victim to thousands of Comic Con attendees, but I found the stylus to be sloppy and unresponsive. Once I switched to the d-pad and buttons, I had no problems at all.

Awesome! Everytime I saw a video for the game where they were using the stylus, I was thinking "Eh, I dunno, it worked fine with just the buttons on the GBA. That seems a bit too gimmicky." It's great to know I can just ignore it now.

I thought this game was due in September or something? At least that's what it said on Romulations upcoming section a while ago, but ah well. Game seems like it could be fun.

ZeroMachine:
I tried at least five times to play the first one, but I always lost interest by the town with the flooded caves. I always feel bad about it, too, because I can tell the game is great, but I just can't get into it :(

Yeah, Altin (town's name for anyone else who cares) was boring after the first run-through for me. At least you only have to go through it once.

OT: I was hoping for this to be controlled like the older games, and I am satisfied. If I have the funds and a competent market to go to, I will attempt to get this on launch day.

This makes me incredibly glad that I got a DS for pokemon last spring.

This is on my WANT NAO!!!! list.

skitskat:
man i want this game! i had (and loved) the GBA ones...and even after the GBA had gone to the console graveyard i still played it on the VBA emulator....although i gave up on my DS years ago due to the games that were too childish...might have to invest in one again just to play this!

Aye, only thing I hated with the first two, was trying to import my save file without having a cord...
That gold code was so god-dang long, and wouldn't work, so I settled for silver (I had so much awesome equipment too...).

Wonder if this one will have an import feature, for the original DS it would be pretty easy using the GBA slot.

Goddomot, I didn't even get to play the second one and they do this shit?

I have too many games to catch up on already. D;

Ugh, I don't like the 3D. :(

Other than that it looks great, but the old 2D Sprites had their charm.

Does anyone know if I can transfer my game from the 2nd one, I know it's a long shot but...can I?

Heh. You're mean, burning that poor kitty.

Now I want to know how you get the cat down...goddammit.

any other golden sun fans go "Psynergy has a 'p' you silly man!" out of interest?

more ontopic, oh my gosh, it has a release date now :D happy happy happy

riottrio:
any other golden sun fans go "Psynergy has a 'p' you silly man!" out of interest?

I was going to post that.

PSYCHIC + ENERGY = PSYNERGY CMON MAN

November 29th? This year? REALLY?!

YEAAAAAAAAH

Those ingenius Nintendo bastards releasing it a month before Christmas.

Mezzo.:

What the what...

WE'VE WAITED 6 YEARS FOR THIS maybe more! With all due respect SCREW YOU SIR! You frankly haven't dealt with the pain of "Golden Sun Sequel?" at every convention ever.

Veldt Falsetto:
Does anyone know if I can transfer my game from the 2nd one, I know it's a long shot but...can I?

I asked about that and was told "probably not." That's not a definite no, of course, but it doesn't bode well.

TraderJimmy:

You just climb the tree. :) Stupidly obvious, I know, but I never even thought of it.

Mezzo.:

Hop to it, then!

I got to play it today and it was absolutely amazing. I was talking to some other people who were waiting to play it and they did make the point that the graphics don't seem as impressive as the ones on the GBA did at the time. However, the music and sound effects are just as awesome and the battle system is almost unchanged (which is a good thing, I would hope).

I am so absolutely psyched for this game - it is the big reason I bought myself a DS.

Susan Arendt:

Veldt Falsetto:

I asked about that and was told "probably not." That's not a definite no, of course, but it doesn't bode well.

There's not really any point to being able to transfer your stuff to the third game. It's been what, 20 years in game, and the old teams aren't going to get much more than a couple cameos to point you in the right direction. There isn't anywhere in a storyline to justify giving a group of kids the god-killing Psynergy and equipment of their parents without breaking the progression and difficulty curve of the story itself. And then you'd screw over everyone who doesn't have that data to bring over as well.

TraderJimmy:

You just climb the tree. :) Stupidly obvious, I know, but I never even thought of it.

Not obvious to me, either :P You always had to rely on your powers to get puzzles solved in the first two, no matter how simple they might still have been without Psynergy. I'd have gone for the burning-the-tree-down as well, or possibly agonized over whether I missed some kind of Djinn-bait I should have picked up three towns back.

Man, I really can't wait. November is full of good-looking games being released, but this is at the top of my list. I absolutely loved the first two and I'm quite excited to see whether or not some of the lingering questions get answered.

GBA graphics looked less awkward than the DS.

What the hell is this?
'Golden Sun' and it's sequel are two of my most cherished games, and they appear to have gone and done EXACTLY what they did with the Fire Emblem DS remake, which is to say; go back and viciously sodomise a tried an true formula for an immensely successful genre defying series that has sold millions of units and gained an incredibly devoted worldwide fanbase who patiently wait years for sequels by fucking up the unique qualities that all previous games showcased with 2nd rate 3D animation and clunky combat and turning it into the one single blemish on an otherwise incredible saga.

I'm bloody hoping that this trailer is showing us an unfinished and unpolished product that we view here. None of the amazing things about the previous games are presented here; the superb music, simple and yet beautiful visuals and epic, engrossing storyline.

This is the game that has had me biting my nails in anticipation for the last eight years, the finale to the incredible story that got me through my childhood.
Please don't suck, 'Dark Dawn'.

Golden sun 1 was better then 2.

I have high hopes for this.... it also makes me feel so old, since i was like 12 when i got Golden Sun 1.

Manicotti:

Susan Arendt:

Veldt Falsetto:

There's not really any point to being able to transfer your stuff to the third game. It's been what, 20 years in game, and the old teams aren't going to get much more than a couple cameos to point you in the right direction. There isn't anywhere in a storyline to justify giving a group of kids the god-killing Psynergy and equipment of their parents without breaking the progression and difficulty curve of the story itself. And then you'd screw over everyone who doesn't have that data to bring over as well.

Nah, obviously level transfer is a bit much but they could've given you a reward or something, maybe a secret item if you collected all the Djinn and some more money and levels if you beat all the secret bosses, y'know, just simple stuff to say thanks for playing the other two games.

Susan Arendt:
I was a bit stumped when I saw a djinn trapped at the top of a tree, but the Nintendo rep suggested I think about what I would do if my cat were trapped up a tree. When I tried to use fire to burn the tree down, he shook his head. "You must be a dog person."

Manicotti:
Not obvious to me, either :P You always had to rely on your powers to get puzzles solved in the first two, no matter how simple they might still have been without Psynergy. I'd have gone for the burning-the-tree-down as well, or possibly agonized over whether I missed some kind of Djinn-bait I should have picked up three towns back.

Silly people, you just use the Catch Beads and grab the poor kitty! =P

That or Grab the tree and shake it ever so gently so that fluffy the Djinn comes down to play.

what? they did not show the Judgment summon?!?! T-T

Yes, yes,yes,yes,yes
*awesomegasm*

Susan Arendt:

Control the elements with your djinn in the rebirth of this GBA favorite.

Golden Sun Dark Dawn for the DS picks up 30 years after the events of the GBA games, with the original characters' descendents signing up for hero duty this time around. From what I played, the core turn-based JRPG gameplay remains largely unchanged, with the emphasis once again on collecting djinn. Djinn are creatures that give you access to different kinds of elementally-themed powers called "psynergy";

After picking myself up from the floor I had to point out that little mistake. If only because this is one of my favourite RPG series' of all time :P

riottrio:

First of all, I'm not a man. Secondly, I know how it's spelled, but my computer apparently feels differently and decided to "fix" it for me. Anyway, it's been corrected.

Susan Arendt:

riottrio:

First of all, I'm not a man. Secondly, I know how it's spelled, but my computer apparently feels differently and decided to "fix" it for me. Anyway, it's been corrected.

sorry... i really should have noticed that what with your username >.>

Wonder if they will have something like dullahan in it. Took me ages to find that last djinn so I could enter his domain.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here