Steampunk Iron Man Takes Home Comic Con Cosplay Crown

Steampunk Iron Man Takes Home Comic Con Cosplay Crown

Rivets, cogs and steam, that's a real Iron Man.

Tony Stark may call himself Iron Man, but being a modern hero, he has access to slightly more advanced materials than iron for his suit. But a cosplayer in New York has put together a suit that Stark might have built in Victorian times, when his options were more limited.

While the shape and overall design is familiar, the devil is in the details. Rather than an enclosed suit of armor, the steampunk version has riveted armor plate over a flexible canvas backing. The armor also seems to be cog driven, and has two exhaust pipes on the back for the steam engine. The armor was the winning entry in Marvel's New York Comic Con cosplay contest. Details on the costume are thin on the ground, but it seems to be made of foam, judging by the damage on the left shoulder.

Unfortunately, as well as not telling us anything about the costume, we don't know anything about the person inside it, which is a shame, because that person deserves all kinds of kudos. You can check out more pictures of the armor, plus a lot of other cosplayers from the convention in Marvel's official Flickr stream.

Source: Toys R Evil

That is Awesome...

But 1 question...how the hell would it fly :P

arc1991:
That is Awesome...

With a Steam powered jetpack, obviously.

Moonpooman:

arc1991:
That is Awesome...

With a Steam powered jetpack, obviously.

Naturally.

And that suit automatically gets at least +5 to AWESOME!

Oh my god....that is too cool. Must be illegal.

They totally need to do a limited series of steampunk Iron Man with Tony Stark living in Victorian times.

Edit: Apparently his name is Matt Silva, from this website: http://www.getdreadful.com/pdpmembers.html

It seems to be a very similar design, the pipes on the back especially. Possibly he transformed parts of that costume into this Iron Man one. Steampunk Tinman from the Wizard of Oz into steampunk Iron Man.

Internet sleuthing skills once again save the day, so now you know who to go steal this from. Or ask him to make you one, as he seems to run business for this sort of thing.

I wanna hit him with a steel pipe and steal that costume....

I want one.

That's awesome!

A little too awesome if you ask me, he must have stolen that excess awesome from somewhere...

In unrelated news, Ice cream now just seems unpleasantly cold and sickly sweet.

If it's steam powered and build with victorian era tech, then you'd be boiled (to death, presumably) inside that thing. It should run on alchemy or magic or something...

John the Gamer:
If it's steam powered and build with victorian era tech, then you'd be boiled (to death, presumably) inside that thing. It should run on alchemy or magic or something...

The modern Iron man's suit basically runs on magic anyway.

1884: Timothy Stark eccentric inventor discovers a rare material that when subjected to heat and pressure inside an environment like a steam engine boiler produces large amounts of controllable energy. Builds suit to harness/direct said energy and bingo, steampunk ironman (make him a sherlock holmes style drug addict for bonus points)

SuccessAndBiscuts:

John the Gamer:

The modern Iron man's suit basically runs on magic anyway.

1884: Timothy Stark eccentric inventor discovers a rare material that when subjected to heat and pressure inside an environment like a steam engine boiler produces large amounts of controllable energy. Builds suit to harness/direct said energy and bingo, steampunk ironman (make him a sherlock holmes style drug addict for bonus points)

Sounds like that stuff they build that submarine with in the movie "The Core" (earth's core stops, have to go restart it with nukes or something)

Forgot to say this; But he sure did a nice job building that suit.

P.S.: Sorry; he or SHE did a nice job.

so, so awesome. It's surprisingly faithful in spirit to the original while actually looking quite different.

This guy. I like him.

Bon_Clay:
Oh my god....that is too cool. Must be illegal.

They totally need to do a limited series of steampunk Iron Man with Tony Stark living in Victorian times.

Edit: Apparently his name is Matt Silva, from this website: http://www.getdreadful.com/pdpmembers.html

It seems to be a very similar design, the pipes on the back especially. Possibly he transformed parts of that costume into this Iron Man one. Steampunk Tinman from the Wizard of Oz into steampunk Iron Man.

Internet sleuthing skills once again save the day, so now you know who to go steal this from. Or ask him to make you one, as he seems to run business for this sort of thing.

Hmm some Iron Man version of that 1602 series.

Is it really steampunk if its being powered by the energy unit in his chest?

He forgot the monocle.

That is fantastic and well made! Love it

Pallindromemordnillap:
Is it really steampunk if its being powered by the energy unit in his chest?

Yes, if all the unit does is boil water :P

We interviewed him when he and his company came to the Carolina Games Summit:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-escapist-presents/1490-Penny-Dreadful

Holy shit that thing is awesome.

Any way to assassinate this man and steal his suit?

Kuliani, I just noticed by you really seem to look like my previous boss. Fun geezer but we had to say farewell to eachother when college took my life over.

It's really cool, but there's something a little odd about that photo. Makes the whole thing seem vaguely... Voldo-like.

This looks vaguely like the Rocketeer.

Mad props. Steampunk Iron Man... It needs its own comic! :D

arc1991:
That is Awesome...

Rule 1 of flight:

If it has a big enough engine IT WILL FLY! (no matter how badly)

The man behind the mask is Matt Silva. The suit actually originates from a short film I did, Heartless The Story of the Tin Man, with a Company called Whitestone Motion Pictures. The Original format was again that of the Tin Man, The Tin Man Suit was Designed by Bill Johnson, then sculpted by he and Matt Silva. After all that the two of them and myself and Johnathon Thorton came in to help mold, cast, and paint the Tin Man. The total time for the build of the Tin Man suit was about 2 weeks with mainly Bill, Johnathon, and Matt working around the clock. The Iron Man you see here is Matt's modified remake of that same suit. The paint scheme and paint job where all of Matt's design, and the lower torso and helmet are both heavily remastered versions built off the original. Check out the following people to see their amazing work
Whitestone-(Makers of the Film Heartless) http://www.whitestonemotionpictures.com

Bill Johnson(Original Tinman Suit Designer and Dept Head)-www.lonewolffx.com

And Matt's work at http://www.getdreadful.com

Thanks so much for your support and compliments, The suit still has much room for improvement so keep your eyes peeled for future attempts!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here