Danger Close: Medal of Honor Complainers "Don't Understand Games"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Danger Close: Medal of Honor Complainers "Don't Understand Games"

Danger Close Marketing Director Craig Owens doesn't believe the Taliban was renamed in the upcoming Medal of Honor in order to get the game back into Army base stores but simply in response to "an older generation that doesn't understand games."

There's been a lot of noise from people on both sides of the Medal of Honor argument but the one group that hasn't had much to say thus far is Danger Close, the studio that actually made the thing. But with the game coming out in North America tomorrow, Owens decided to speak out, saying the change had nothing to do with the ban in Army and Air Force Exchange Service stores and that in his eyes, it's really not a big deal at all.

"The objection was, kind of from an older generation that doesn't understand games, that the sound bite was, 'Play as the Taliban and kill U.S. soldiers'," he told Joystiq. "There still is, it seems, a group that's still a little bit leery of a game taking place around an active conflict."

There were "about 500,000 people playing it, playing as the Taliban, killing U.S. troops," he added, and nobody said a word until "that sound bite kinda caught wind and got taken out of context, really."

"It's just a misunderstanding. I think eventually, as guys like us - I'm 42 years old, right? - so as I get older and stuff, we're becoming a world of gamers that are gonna be at all levels and I think that'll go away," he said. "It's just one of those transition points, where people who don't play games still think they're just for 12-year-olds and they're just all fun and games and they could never really tell a story like a movie does."

He also pointed out that despite the furor, the game itself is completely unchanged. "It's not about Afghanistan. It's not about the enemy. It's about the brother beside you," he said. "We didn't change any pixels in the game at all except for the name, and it only appeared a couple times in multiplayer."

In an interesting twist that comes back to the argument that the game is "disrespectful" to soldiers fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan, IncGamers revealed that former Special Air Service operative, Gulf War veteran and novelist Chris Ryan, who wrote a Medal of Honor prequel novella as the HMV pre-order bonus and which will get a general release after the game launches, will be signing copies of the game at HMV London on October 15, the U.K. release date.

The man actually speaks the truth. Although it's kind of an argument over nothing. The only difference between the US and the Taliban in Multiplayer is that they have a different player model and different guns. It's not like while playing as the Taliban it says "KILL THE UNITED STATES INFIDELS! THEY ARE EVIL! CLAIM YOUR VIRGINS!". Strip down the two factions and you have the same programming and the same menus with just a minor difference in models and weapon choice.

I've really got to laugh at the "vocal outcry" about this.

I've been meaning to ask, and too lazy to Google. WHO THE FUCK IS MARC EMERY?

OT:

So, the change pretty much doesn't affect the game? I knew that the moment that Taliban was only involved in multiplayer. Because it doesn't matter.

It's really just a model swap when it comes to MP teams.

Medal of Honor Complainers "Don't Understand Games"?

Even my butt understands that. Still nice to see that someone high up realizes this.

This is just like the mass effect sex scene controversy. "You can have sex with aliens?! Oh no hide your children!!" Older generations simply don't understand and simply don't even make an effort to try to. I wish they could do some research before they made an issue about nothing.

I was looking forward to the opportunity to be teabagged & called faggot by Taliban twelve year olds. I think it would have opened my eyes to the reality of modern conflicts.

If games want to be taken seriously as an art form, they need to stand up to controversy. Not change a little like this or a lot like 6 days in Felluja. Every time you change something due to controversy, you weaken your position. Your showing that games are not on the same level as movies/books/television/whathaveyou, your letting them win.

If games want to be taken seriously as an art form, then people must stop caving to controversies like this. Because a small victory is still a victory. And a small loss is still a loss.

Painful illusion:
This is just like the mass effect sex scene controversy. "You can have sex with aliens?! Oh no hide your children!!" Older generations simply don't understand and simply don't even make an effort to try to. I wish they could do some research before they made an issue about nothing.

Most of these types probably don't know how to do research....without their local library at least. It's probably mostly women who get brainwashed by Fox news every night at the dinner table. I kinda feel sorry for them. Video games are thus far the ultimate form of electronic entertainment and their generation just missed it. Not that I don't get infuriated by their ignorance every once in a while....

I think Danger Close should be less worried about this and more worried about the fact that MoH sucks donkey balls.

This change was brought about by what I like to call the "Fox News Crowd". People who essentially are waiting for something to complain about, whether they fully understand it or not. These are also the same people who believe video games are still a child's play thing.

The problem I have with this guy's statement is that those people would not have bought the game regardless. They only play Wii Bowling and Wii Golf with a slight crossover into Bejeweled.

All kidding aside, I really do think that logic doesn't add up. It is true that the majority of 50+ people who play games are casual gamers or they play WoW. They're not in the market for this sort of thing.

All that these people are pissed about was that the word "Taliban" was in the game. If it never had the word in it, none of this would have happened.

MetallicaRulez0:
This change was brought about by what I like to call the "Fox News Crowd". People who essentially are waiting for something to complain about, whether they fully understand it or not. These are also the same people who believe video games are still a child's play thing.

Oh, the "Fox News Crowd", huh? That's very clever. I'm sure nobody's ever called them that before. Did you think of that all by yourself?

Let's settle this. People on both sides are complaining more than is necessary. Families of fallen soldiers have every right to be upset, but they have to realize that we can't keep avoiding this stuff forever. At some point, it can't be a taboo topic anymore.

By the same token, the video game fans who are upset that a change was made need to grow the fuck up and acknowledge that nothing significant was affected, that the game is exactly the same, and that they're blowing this way out of proportion talking about censorship and freedom of speech. It's a fucking video game.

Onyx Oblivion:

Advocate for the legalisation/decriminalization (can't remember which) of marijuana.

Topic at hand, it's a shame there was such an outcry over something so trivial, but at least the core gameplay remains the same.

rockyoumonkeys:

MetallicaRulez0:

Oh, the "Fox News Crowd", huh? That's very clever. I'm sure nobody's ever called them that before. Did you think of that all by yourself?

Let's settle this. People on both sides are complaining more than is necessary. Families of fallen soldiers have every right to be upset, but they have to realize that we can't keep avoiding this stuff forever. At some point, it can't be a taboo topic anymore.

By the same token, the video game fans who are upset that a change was made need to grow the fuck up and acknowledge that nothing significant was affected, that the game is exactly the same, and that they're blowing this way out of proportion talking about censorship and freedom of speech. It's a fucking video game.

Well said, even if it was a bit harsh.

Mainly on the second paragraph, I agree on the first but It is very recent, it's hardly world war II. But I still agree.

BiggityB05:
I think Danger Close should be less worried about this and more worried about the fact that MoH sucks donkey balls.

no it doesnt, have you even played the PC beta?

OT: well, at least we have someone in high up our side =P

rockyoumonkeys:

MetallicaRulez0:

I don't know what your first point was getting at but Fox News has a pretty big correlation with nonsense sensationalism with a conservative slant, so this story actually has a lot to do with them. I wouldn't be surprised if Hannity or O'Reilly brought this up in between mosque bantering.

But it isn't about nothing being affected really, I think it is more about the way games are regulated vs. every other form of media. Movies come out where people get killed by legitimate groups that exist today, and people call it art. When a game does it, ALL of the emotional impact involved with using the word Taliban is treated like a child swearing, it gets a slap on the wrist and no artistic credit.

Sure, the word Taliban wouldn't have made a huge impact, and I don't give a SHIT that it's not in the game; I just think it brings a good topic to light, and at least has brought up the issue of game censorship, even if we did lose this one. (It's a loss because the censorship was unnecessary and treated as nothing, whereas a movie or tv show gets a lot more consideration for racy words.)

*redacted, don't want to risk the banhammer*

rockyoumonkeys:
It's a fucking video game.

"It's just a fucking novel!" He said, as he banned books deemed "obscene" to the senses.

I think I've seen that same avatar white-knighting the cause of unnamed and indeterminate fallen soldiers that no existing group has brought up on every MoH thread for the last few weeks. Hmmm.

While he may have a fair point, I can't help but feel that his words are going to be fired back at him.

I agree. Some people don't respect video games on same level as other media, and it's sort of an age thing. Same way my parents hate rap, and theirs hated rock and roll. People look at having the Taliban in a video game as insensitive because they think video games go about it disrespectfully. They haven't played any video games, and probably never will. And when you don't know things but claim to, that's when you start talking out of your ass.

TomLikesGuitar:

I don't know what your first point was getting at but Fox News has a pretty big correlation with nonsense sensationalism with a conservative slant,

I was more referring to how the poster made it sound like it was his own little clever nickname for a group of people, when it was anything but.

Amnestic:
*redacted, don't want to risk the banhammer*

rockyoumonkeys:
It's a fucking video game.

"It's just a fucking novel!" He said, as he banned books deemed "obscene" to the senses.

Novels and movies (as addressed in the part you redacted) are not the same as multiplayer video games. It's all fine and well that you desperately want to raise video games to the level of artistic validity that novels and movies enjoy, but this isn't the way to do it at all, and in fact temper tantrums like the one these people are throwing are almost certainly setting their cause back, because all outsiders are seeing is a bunch of crybabies stomping their feet over what they view as little more than a toy.

rockyoumonkeys:
[quote="TomLikesGuitar" post="7.238068.8530808"]
Novels and movies (as addressed in the part you redacted) are not the same as multiplayer video games. It's all fine and well that you desperately want to raise video games to the level of artistic validity that novels and movies enjoy, but this isn't the way to do it at all, and in fact temper tantrums like the one these people are throwing are almost certainly setting their cause back, because all outsiders are seeing is a bunch of crybabies stomping their feet over what they view as little more than a toy.

Oh let me add something here.

Your OPINIONS are very aggressively childish. Calling people "Crybabies" for being activists is childish. The way that you're writing takes a tongue in cheek tone for the connection between video games and art makes you sound childish. And lastly, your nonstop ridicule of everyone else's post makes you an asshole trying to piss people off for no reason.

COOL! You don't like to think multiplayer video games are art. I don't like think that Trent Reznor is art, but try as I might to attack his bland music, he is an artist. And he produces... art.

Multiplayer games are art down to every nuance involved. It seems you are not too involved with programming, but any serious programmer will tell you their code is art. Visual art, gameplay flow, control scheme, christ the whole thing reeks of someone's art.

Stop attacking people for trying to take today's entertainment and have it follow the same rules as the entertainment of the yesteryear. There were people like you when television came out, and there are still people like you swearing there is no cause to be alarmed in the issue of internet censorship.

Just stop, get a grip, and ask what is the point you are honestly trying to make, because I can tell you mine right now.

"Video Game Development is a form of entertainment in which censorship is treated unfairly vs. other forms of entertainment."

Is this untrue?

TomLikesGuitar:
snip

Oh yeah, you're doing wonders for your cause with anger like that! We should absolutely take you seriously!

rockyoumonkeys:

TomLikesGuitar:
snip

Oh yeah, you're doing wonders for your cause with anger like that! We should absolutely take you seriously!

Dude, you just called everyone in this thread a crybaby for having opinions on the rights of their favorite medium.

And you don't expect anyone to be angry.

Besides you're the one who is so unnecessarily gung-ho about this. Everyone else here is talking about actively working towards fixing unfair censorship. You are here to tell us that you think we are childish for being so active.

Here, I'll argue like you to make things more fair.

Read some Ayn Rand, KID. Maybe then, KIDS like you will GROW UP and realize that CONSERVATIVE DICKWADS are the real BABIES.

Churchill didn't know dick.

TomLikesGuitar:

Dude, you just called everyone in this thread a crybaby for having opinions on the rights of their favorite medium.

To be fair, only some of them are crybabies. You're acting like one right now. The ones who are taking this thing and turning it into an issue of censorship and free speech are going way overboard, and they're absolutely acting like babies. I've already said all this, why am I repeating myself? It's one word in a video game that has ZERO effect on the game. And yet you're ready to take to the streets in protest over it.

Could be you're getting carried away. You also seem to be losing a little of your mind. That's pretty amusing.

In summary, people like you are the reason why video games will never be taken seriously as an art form.

Onyx Oblivion:

OT:

So, the change pretty much doesn't affect the game? I knew that the moment that Taliban was only involved in multiplayer. Because it doesn't matter.

It's really just a model swap when it comes to MP teams.

it's not even a model swap its just the name of the team, they are changing a 7 letter word into 13 letters

lol its pathetic

rockyoumonkeys:

TomLikesGuitar:

To be fair, only some of them are crybabies. You're acting like one right now. The ones who are taking this thing and turning it into an issue of censorship and free speech are going way overboard, and they're absolutely acting like babies. I've already said all this, why am I repeating myself? It's one word in a video game that has ZERO effect on the game. And yet you're ready to take to the streets in protest over it.

Could be you're getting carried away. You also seem to be losing a little of your mind. That's pretty amusing.

In summary, people like you are the reason why video games will never be taken seriously as an art form.

Oh no, I've already lost my mind. If that was about the Churchill reference, though, I'm just thrilled you don't get it ;). But that aside, if you had some sense of reading comprehension and/or memory, you'd know that I don't give a fuck about the word Taliban not being in MoH. I've already said all this, why am I repeating myself? You seem a bit naive, but over the course of my life I've seen so many things ruined by PC groups that I have the right to be angry when the roots of censorship take place. Trust me bud, there's way less sensible people (like both of us actually) who won't complain about shit that's offensive than there are crazy activists starting silly movements like feminism and protest groups for video games. So, as the minority, the only thing we can do is hold out as long as possible.

Edit: Also, your last post insinuates that anyone who cares about video game censorship is a "crybaby", not just those who care about the word Taliban. As a matter of fact, no one in this thread really said much about how the word Taliban would have changed anything. All we care about is the meaning behind it. If you can't see it, so be it. You should really just admit that you angrily called a bunch of people crybabies for no reason.

TomLikesGuitar:
Trust me bud, there's way less sensible people (like both of us actually) who won't complain about shit that's offensive than there are crazy activists starting silly movements like feminism and protest groups for video games. So, as the minority, the only thing we can do is hold out as long as possible.

Looks like you got this one a little backwards, but the basic point is....wait a minute. Did you just compare womens' rights to video games?

Man, you really are loco.

rockyoumonkeys:

TomLikesGuitar:
Trust me bud, there's way less sensible people (like both of us actually) who won't complain about shit that's offensive than there are crazy activists starting silly movements like feminism and protest groups for video games. So, as the minority, the only thing we can do is hold out as long as possible.

Looks like you got this one a little backwards, but the basic point is....wait a minute. Did you just compare womens' rights to video games?

Yeah ok, I get it. Random slander is really helping your... cause? I think it's a cause because otherwise I don't know what your point is. It's been 3 posts since I asked you to summarize what your basic point is and you haven't gotten back to me on that. You came really close in this post, but then realized you didn't have one I guess and so had to come up with something else to say.

But no, I don't compare womens' rights to video games. It's funny you don't know the difference between womens' rights and feminism. And I didn't compare them either. I just meant there's a bunch of cunt feminists trying to make entertainment less interesting and more politically correct, and there's a bunch of asshole conservatives trying to make video games and other mediums less interesting a more politically correct. Sorry I had to spell that one out.

TomLikesGuitar:

rockyoumonkeys:

TomLikesGuitar:

Yeah ok, I get it. Random slander is really helping your... cause? I think it's a cause because otherwise I don't know what your point is. It's been 3 posts since I asked you to summarize what your basic point is and you haven't gotten back to me on that. You came really close in this post, but then realized you didn't have one I guess and so had to come up with something else to say.

But no, I don't compare womens' rights to video games. It's funny you don't know the difference between womens' rights and feminism. And I didn't compare them either. I just meant there's a bunch of cunt feminists trying to make entertainment less interesting and more politically correct, and there's a bunch of asshole conservatives trying to make video games and other mediums less interesting a more politically correct. Sorry I had to spell that one out.

I summarized my point in my first post. Both "sides" are going too far. As you fall very clearly on one side (turning this into a censorship issue), you are among the people I feel are "going too far".

Also, now I know that you're one of those people who considers the word "feminist" to be a slur. Good to know the type of person I'm dealing with. It makes dismissing you entirely much easier.

rockyoumonkeys:

TomLikesGuitar:

rockyoumonkeys:

TomLikesGuitar:

I summarized my point in my first post. Both "sides" are going too far. As you fall very clearly on one side (turning this into a censorship issue), you are among the people I feel are "going too far".

Also, now I know that you're one of those people who considers the word "feminist" to be a slur. Good to know the type of person I'm dealing with. It makes dismissing you entirely much easier.

Feminists: Women's rights activists who've gone too far. It is not a slur, but the movement is unnecessary and has made claims in the past which have been proven false time and time again.

Good to know you're one of those indecisive people who has no opinions. Makes me wonder why you even talk.

TomLikesGuitar:

Good to know you're one of those indecisive people who has no opinions. Makes me wonder why you even talk.

So I'm indecisive because I don't go for one extreme or the other? Gotcha. Your bizarre logic makes me sleepy. Don't worry, I'm not going to take up any more of your precious protest time. Go fight feminism and evil video game censors.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here