Europe Continues to Celebrate Mario With Shiny Red Wii

Europe Continues to Celebrate Mario With Shiny Red Wii

Europe will be getting new Mario-themed consoles to celebrate the plumber's 25th birthday.

To celebrate the 25th birthday of Super Mario Bros., Nintendo released a whole bunch of goodies in Japan including a re-release of Super Mario All Stars and a red Wii with a modded version of Super Mario Bros. pre-loaded. Though these items were expected to reach the shores of the rest of the world, Nintendo only announced the All Stars Wii collection for Europe and remained silent. Now, Europe will continue to celebrate Mario's birthday with the release of two new Nintendo console variants, while North America will continue to wonder if it'll ever get the goods too.

Today, Nintendo announced the New Super Mario Bros. Wii pack and the New Super Mario Bros. Nintendo DSi XL special edition pack for release in Europe. The DSI XL comes in red and features character icons. It's packed with New Super Mario Bros. and will be released on October 22.

The Wii is also a gorgeous red and contains a new red Wii Remote Plus (with Wii Motion Plus technology built in), a red Wii Nunchuk, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Wii Sports, and a pre-loaded version of the original Donkey Kong. It'll hit shelves on October 29, meaning that Europe is getting the Wii Remote Plus before the Japanese launch in November, while the controller is rumored to be launching in North America in a bundle with FlingSmash.

I'm really not mad, because Europe should be getting all of these Mario goodies, but I can't help being curious about when Nintendo will let North America in on the fun. Super Mario Bros. first came overseas in March 1986, so Nintendo could be waiting until next year, but by then the 3DS will be stealing the thunder of these bundles anyway. We'll keep waiting to see if Nintendo of America makes an announcement.

I've never ever cared for red as a color for consoles or controllers. I don't know why, it just doesn't look good to me. I say let them keep it overseas! =P

so there release a special edition DSI XL for 25th anniversary when they already announced and have a release for their next handheld?

Wooopeeee......Nintendo cash-cow part 892 Billion!!!!!!
Buy it! Buy it NOW!!!!

Dear lord thats a hell of a red.

Like almost tooo red.

It looks like they put their blood, sweat, and tears into making this bundle.

And now...I want to import this...BADLY!!!

At first, red sounded somewhat refreshing. But then I couldn't stop thinking about all of the (r)ed (or whatever it is) special edition electronics. While I prefer the black, at least it's not as bad as that horrendous purple for the Gamecube.[1]

[1] Man I want to spray paint mine or something

I gotta say, after these new wiis come out, i gotta wonder: why didnt nintendo just sell an assortment of colors to begin with. the wii is a nice fun little paper weight, why shouldnt people be able to choose like with ipods or... paper.

im just kidding around about the paper weight thing, the wii is good for the new super mario brothers game.

If it came with a mario hat and muhstahe it would be an instant buy for me.

It doesn't matter what nintendo makes anymore they'll still make money...

Sacman:

Have to agree with Sacman here. Didn't Nintendo just release a black Wii, or something? I don't even play my Wii, and I don't think that the red suits it. But yeah, I'm sure that Nintendo will still sell millions of these things.

Okay just realize guys that Microsoft's Xbox 360 has about 9 different colors for their console.

Resident evil red
Halo reach Silver
White
Black
Halo 3 Green
Call of Duty 4 black

The list just goes on...so no complaining when Nintendo actually has something to celebrate with a new console instead of just a game release.

I'll have to see it when it comes to the US. I need my own Wii anyway, so might as well check out the aniversary edition.

Sacman:

Just the image I was thinking of. Oh! You're close to five thousand! *highfives*

OT: *Yawn* Whatever. I wouldn't be interested in one of those sets anyway. Just give us the 3DS already :)

Redlin5:

Sacman:

Just the image I was thinking of. Oh! You're close to five thousand! *highfives*

OT: *Yawn* Whatever. I wouldn't be interested in one of those sets anyway. Just give us the 3DS already :)

High Five!!!
5000th post!!!

*Sigh* Nintendo, you and your gimmicks. "OOO ITS RED, ITS DIFFERENT, MUST...HAVE!" Eh, why do I even bother, they're enormous enormity can not be stopped.

joshthor:
I gotta say, after these new wiis come out, i gotta wonder: why didnt nintendo just sell an assortment of colors to begin with.

Because if you want it at launch, you'll just get whatever color you like best of those available. And then when they roll out a new color, if you really want that color, you buy the hardware again. Zing! More sales.

You know what caught my attention here?

"

Tom Goldman:

a new red Wii Remote Plus (with Wii Motion Plus technology built in)

I don't know if anyone notices the significance of this little point here...
(and if you did, I don't know if you actually care)

But the black wiis and wiimotes were already being sold with motionplus add-ons as standard...
Now it seems they've built it into the remote itself...

Which is a logical progression, but still something of a surprise move.

It really does seem like nintendo is trying to ensure that motionplus becomes a standard feature for everyone with a Wii doesn't it?

Sacman:

That gif gets old fast.

Tenmar:
Okay just realize guys that Microsoft's Xbox 360 has about 9 different colors for their console.

Resident evil red
Halo reach Silver
White
Black
Halo 3 Green
Call of Duty 4 black

The list just goes on...so no complaining when Nintendo actually has something to celebrate with a new console instead of just a game release.

Good luck trying to convince people on this site about that.

If they come out in Australia I am so buying them! I want it soooo bad!

If your Wii is red, it's time to see a doctor.

(...Sorry.)

I don't get the whole re-releasing a console in a different colour thing. I suppose if you're just getting one for the first time you might go the coloured one, but otherwise I don't see the appeal.

So we're finally getting something before North America and even before Japan?

jp201:
so there release a special edition DSI XL for 25th anniversary when they already announced and have a release for their next handheld?

Ninja'd

Seriously, its stupid.

Do waaaaaaaaaaant. D:

If the US doesn't get these, it serves them right for keeping that shmexy red and black DS from a few years back to themselves.

When you celebrate something, you're supposed to waste a lot of money having fun, you're not supposed to make money on someone else having fun (or wasting their money, depending on your prespective). 25th anniversary seems just an excuse to further milk a successful franchise rather than an actual celebration.

I like that red colour. Now if only the Wii had good games and features then I'd buy it.

The 3DS looks like a better purchase for me.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.