80% of Japanese Think 3DS Is Expensive

80% of Japanese Think 3DS Is Expensive

Nintendo may be fighting an uphill battle to garner public support for its 3D-capable handheld in its native Japan.

Whether you like playing games on handheld platforms or no, you can't deny that Nintendo's DS has been an unstoppable force this generation. It's easily the most popular gaming platform in the world - and arguably the most popular platform of all time. Of all time! (Thanks, Kanye). The 3DS, on the other hand, might face some heavier opposition thanks to a price tag of ¥25,000.

Nintendo has a long road ahead of itself, too - two recent surveys in Japan find that not only have many Japanese not heard of the device, the ones that have think it's on the pricey side of things.

Japan's Nikkei Shimbun newspaper and online research firm Macromill found that out of 1000 respondents, 55.9% hadn't heard of the 3DS - and a similar number said that they had no interest in the handheld. 36.9% knew something about the device, but only 7.2% said that they were completely up-to-date with all there was to know about the 3DS. This doesn't seem to just be Nintendo's problem, though, as 57.8% of respondents said they knew nothing about Sony's push for 3D-capable content on the PS3.

It's unclear whether the people surveyed were just gamers or covered all walks of life - if the latter, this may not be quite so bad for Nintendo as it appears at first glance, but I'd wager it's still not what the hardware giant was hoping to hear.

A second poll asked 1,003 respondents whether they felt the 3DS' ¥25,000 price - the same as the original PSP and the Wii - was expensive or cheap. Nearly 80% of respondents said that it was expensive: 32.2% called it "somewhat expensive," 28.3% said that it was just plain "expensive," and 19.2% answered that it was "too expensive" for them.

Meanwhile, 16.4% said they felt the price was "reasonable," 2% called it "somewhat cheap," and 1% and 0.9% of the respondents said that the price tag was "too cheap" and "cheap," respectively. That may include Sonic creator Yuji Naka.

There's no question that it is a high price for a handheld, but Nintendo hasn't had a loser in the portable market yet (barring the Virtual Boy). Japan went gaga over the DS, and, while its successor may have trouble getting a foothold, it's by no means out of the race.

(Via 1UP)

Good, maybe now Nintendo will rethink its pricing.

Strangely even if it comes out in the US with a $300 price tag I will still be getting it most likely on day one.

Japan will go gaga over the 3DS. Especially when they roll out the rehashes.

well at least now people understand that they are being ripped off ... even if they keep letting them do it =/

Aww what? People aren't prepared to shell of a lot of money for a novelty? Aww nawwwww ninetendo awwwww nawwwwww.

Being one of those people that thinks 3D is really cool and would love to have for games and stuff, I say the price is reasonable if it really does do full 3D without the glasses. Thats pretty damn amazing if you ask me.

Although it doesn't really matter for me because I already decided to sell my soul (and my fellow members of the Escapist forums' souls as well) to Nintendo for a 3DS.

icyneesan:
Being one of those people that thinks 3D is really cool and would love to have for games and stuff, I say the price is reasonable if it really does do full 3D without the glasses. Thats pretty damn amazing if you ask me.

Although it doesn't really matter for me because I already decided to sell my soul (and my fellow members of the Escapist forums' souls as well) to Nintendo for a 3DS.

I'm with this guy! I don't care how much the 3DS is gonna be. If it means I can play Metal Gear Solid 3 again then I will pay any amount of money!

meaningless statistics FTL.

I can pull a 1000 ppl off the street as ask them if $5 for a gallon of milk is too expensive and 80% will say yes. <.<

ask 1000 ppl who already own DS's and then maybe i mite give a damn.

p.s. 1000 ppl is way too SMALL of a sample size to gauge anything when conservative sales projections of the 3DS is close to 4 million units in the first month alone...

Phoenix09215:

icyneesan:

I'm with this guy! I don't care how much the 3DS is gonna be. If it means I can play Metal Gear Solid 3 again then I will pay any amount of money!

BROTHER!!! *Manly Tears*

90% of those polled would still buy it.

One Yuji Naka can't be wrong!

Mega Man Legends 3 still makes all arguments against the 3DS completely invalid. I will drop $300 dollars, cash, on day one for this beautiful piece of hardware.

Since I live in the UK I'd do quite well if the price was translated directly. 25 000 Yen = just under £194

Phoenix09215:

icyneesan:

Yeah, gonna have to disagree. I'm not going to get overly excited about this "Glasses-less 3D" until I've seen it, which I doubt most consumers have. And the MSG3 demo is just that. A demo. The 3DS isn't getting MGS3. There's a MGS game coming for next year but it isn't MGS3. And as much as I love MGS, (and believe me, I LOVE METAL GEAR SOLID) I won't pay $250-300 just to play a game I've played in 3D I haven't seen on a handheld. The MGS3 demo is the 3DS' equivalent to the FF7 tech demo for PS3.

Hmm... wasn't the virtua boy essentially the same thing? Trying to recreate 3D without having to wear the glasses at the same time (since it WAS the glasses, harhar)?

Wouldn't it be funny if the 3DS failed just as badly as the Virtua-boy, and became the new "Virtua Boy"?

I mean sure, it would suck cause Nintendo decided to put Megaman Legends 3 on it, instead of the Wii or anything, and it failing means bad news for us in general with that game, and a few others...

While it wasn't near as unsuccessful as the Virtual Boy the Game Boy Micro wasn't all that resounding of a success.

AzrealMaximillion:

Phoenix09215:

icyneesan:

Yeah, gonna have to disagree. I'm not going to get overly excited about this "Glasses-less 3D" until I've seen it, which I doubt most consumers have. And the MSG3 demo is just that. A demo. The 3DS isn't getting MGS3. There's a MGS game coming for next year but it isn't MGS3. And as much as I love MGS, (and believe me, I LOVE METAL GEAR SOLID) I won't pay $250-300 just to play a game I've played in 3D I haven't seen on a handheld. The MGS3 demo is the 3DS' equivalent to the FF7 tech demo for PS3.

Its like you just tore my heart out! :( But depression aside I'm still going to get it. I have always got the Nintendo handheld and even if its pricey its normally money well spent for me! But if anything the 3D almost puts me off. I don't like the whole 3D fad and I kind of hope that soon enough everyone loses interest... But as stupid as it sounds I love Nintendo and I TRUST THEM (yes thats right) to give me a decent handheld console >:3

Didn't Nintendo say the price was pushed up because of the excitement it recieved at E3? If that's true, they already had a more comfortable price in mind.

The big question is if that price set at a marginal profit like Wii, or is the profit only being built in now?

Think i'll wait till theres actually a couple of games on it that i want to play before i shell out what is probably gonna be around £200+ in the uk for the hand held.

John Funk:
*snip*

Actually, one could argue that this poll is quite favourable to Nintendo.

Only 19.2% of the respondants said that it was too expensive. While plenty of people said it was expensive, that doesn't mean they won't end up buying it. At best, it means they are on the fence about it.

It remains to be seen how actual sales will turn out.

Maybe they will cut a few yen off the price now.

icyneesan:

how many souls are we talking here?
and yeah same here if what the escapist said about this 3ds is true then I'm buying it regardless of price

So, the price went up because we were excited, and now people think it's too high? Hopefully they'll decide to bring it down a little bit.

Also, since the meme is in the article I cannot resist: http://kanyelicious.appspot.com/http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104306-80-of-Japanese-Think-3DS-Is-Expensive

たかいですね。

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here