Medal of Honor Gets Head Shot on PS3 Piracy

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Medal of Honor Gets Head Shot on PS3 Piracy

Starting with Medal of Honor, future PlayStation 3 games will require jailbreakers to update their consoles.

Piracy keeps getting tougher for PlayStation 3 users, assuming they're actually using a recent PS3 jailbreaking method for piracy. Pirates, and those using it for "legitimate" purposes (if these people exist), will find it a lot harder to play newer games due to a now required install of jailbreak-killing firmware update 3.42.

Medal of Honor is the first game to enforce the update to 3.42, and it can't be played without installing new firmware. Future titles will also make this update mandatory. The jailbreaking method on the PS3 mostly requires a USB device, which firmware 3.42 blocks, so this is one more way for Sony to stick its tongue out at pirates.

Games like Medal of Honor are apparently encrypted with a key new to firmware 3.42 that earlier firmware versions cannot read. Sony hopes that this key will keep the PlayStation 3 from being flooded with pirated titles.

A workaround isn't currently available, which means that PS3 users have to choose a jailbroken console, or the ability to play new games. Hackers always seem to find a way around the latest methods that stop them, but it seems that Sony is putting up a pretty darned good fight.

Source: Eurogamer

Makes sense, some PSP games require updates aswell. Though I don't know if its for the same reason.

Good news. Good to see Games Publishers and Devs working alongside the Hardware owners to Combat Piracy.

Does this mean you need an Internet connection (one time) to play MoH on PS3 or is the firmware update preloaded on the disc?

well this is good new but Sony should really make some other updates like voice chat....

crotalidian:
Good news. Good to see Games Publishers and Devs working alongside the Hardware owners to Combat Piracy.

Dude, what's with the random capitals everywhere. It's so strange O_o

OT: Funny this. Pirates will get around it... again.

I see a funny trend in this whole Sony vs Piracy ongoing war. Whenever hacker's find a way into the console, Sony disables that feature in next firmware update, so each time it's not hacker's that suffer since all they get is a new challenge, but legitimate user's that loose functionality.
What if someone figures a way to jailbreak PS3 through the cable that connect's it to display ? Will they disable ability to plug to TV too?

Great! Another fun challenge for hackers.

Sony is fighting a losing war.

Yeah, that's right "you must update to this piracy killing firmware to play that game you paid for, or you could wait for about a month and watch this game get hacked and playable on your jailbroken PS3" ...people are idiots.

Lacsapix:
well this is good new but Sony should really make some other updates like voice chat....

I believe you can do that through the PSN. Works with my Mic

crotalidian:

Does this mean you need an Internet connection (one time) to play MoH on PS3 or is the firmware update preloaded on the disc?

Possibly, if it doesn't have it on disc.

Then you can go to a computer, upload the update to a usb drive and plug it into the ps3 and update it that way.

This technical arms race between Sony and the pirates is highly amusing at times.

Not that I like piracy or anything, but I kinda hope this fight goes on for a while. I could use the laughs.

All good and well, but is the firmware update encoded on the game disc, or is it a mandatory download from the internet? I mean, sure, I do understand that this kind of shooter is primarily played for its multiplayer component, but still, it appears we've set foot into PC territory with a sort of one-time online activation requirement, and I'm not sure I like it. Yes, my console is connected to the web, but regardless of that I still feel that consoles should be able to function as insular systems at all times.

Darkstar370:

Better to fight a loosing war than to bend over and let yourself get fucked.

thats why you play back ups on the 360 lol jk piracy is wrong!

Resistance Is Futile.

Well good for Sony. They are putting up a decent fight so far.

Pyode:

Darkstar370:

Better to fight a loosing war than to bend over and let yourself get fucked.

*salutes as the eagles cry and the jet fighters zoom overhead, then pukes*

We'll see how long this lasts. It'd be nice if people did their own private rundowns on time/monetary costs that went into this piece of anti-piracy and then compare it to how long it took for it to get cracked. But I expect the standard round of self-fellatio of 'fighting the good fight' and 'proudly standing against the vile pirates' rather than an actual analysis of how reducing piracy (as opposed to 'fighting' it) in other ways might take place.

So what about people who don't have their consoles online?

Sonicron:
I still feel that consoles should be able to function as insular systems at all times.

I've said something like that before for PC gaming in the past but look where it is now.

Keava:
I see a funny trend in this whole Sony vs Piracy ongoing war. Whenever hacker's find a way into the console, Sony disables that feature in next firmware update, so each time it's not hacker's that suffer since all they get is a new challenge, but legitimate user's that loose functionality.
What if someone figures a way to jailbreak PS3 through the cable that connect's it to display ? Will they disable ability to plug to TV too?

Good point you raised, something that was brought up when someone apperantly learned how to hack the PS3 through the controller by soldering little things on. People were wondering "So SONY is gonna turn off the ability to play their games through the controllers... right?"

Keava:

I haven't noticed a lose of a single feature.

@ Sgt. Sykes

You can use your computer (or someone elses) download all ps3 firmware updates from the playstation website, all you need to do then is copy it to a USB thumbdrive and run it on your ps3.

Sounds like a better option then implenting horrible DRM. Then again, Sony did disable one or two features of the PS3, most notable is the "Other OS" feature. That got them some serious flak from the U.S. Army. Was a fun period of time.

Anyways, I hope legit users don't get shafted somehow [ if they weren't already. ]

And so, consoles became PCs.

KoreyGM:

Keava:

I quite like being able to move my save files from one PS3 to another. It means that when I play Metal Gear Solid at my mate's, I can take the save home on a USB stick, not lose any of the gameplay time spent on it. Now, no USB functionality. Hoo-bloody-ray.

Hackers will get around this in mere weeks, but we won't get our functionality back.
Hack proof software DOES NOT EXIST.

EDIT: My guitar Hero controllers use USB. How will they stop these being locked out? If there's a way, the hackers can start there. This is absurd. Either the hackers get a free way in or they're rendering popular third party hardware unusable.

KoreyGM:

The fact that you don't use something, doesn't mean everyone else doesn't either. When it was hacked through OtherOS they disabled OtherOS, when it's hacked through USB device they disable ability to use USB devices other than those white-listed by Sony, which apparently disabled several third-party pads/PS2-PS3 controller converters.

This... actually seems sensible.

It's not DRM, or anything similar to DRM, and if downloading new firmware for thr PS3 is anything like the 360 downloading system then it wouldn't be more than ten seconds per new game to start playing it.

I'm checking for flying pigs, but down here in hell, I am pleased to report that the first frost has finally appeared. Anti-pirating software which won't cause trouble for non-pirates.

Meh I give it roughly 2-3 days after release for them to get around the autoupdate portion...

KoreyGM:

Keava:

OtherOS would like a word with you :P

Madara XIII:

Lacsapix:

I believe you can do that through the PSN. Works with my Mic

Not cross-game you can't, and I'm fairly sure you can't do it unless you're in-game either (as in, not from the XMB or whatever).

But yes, this is a minor inconvenience for hackers. Very minor.

Darkstar370:

Better to fight, inconvenience, and lose then not fight and just lose.

Dana22:

Oh the utter horror of console companies taking small measures to protect their profits. Also, welcome to the real world.

Dana22:

At least we don't have Windows.

Sephychu:
I quite like being able to move my save files from one PS3 to another. It means that when I play Metal Gear Solid at my mate's, I can take the save home on a USB stick, not lose any of the gameplay time spent on it. Now, no USB functionality. Hoo-bloody-ray.

Hackers will get around this in mere weeks, but we won't get our functionality back.
Hack proof software DOES NOT EXIST.

EDIT: My guitar Hero controllers use USB. How will they stop these being locked out? If there's a way, the hackers can start there. This is absurd. Either the hackers get a free way in or they're rendering popular third party hardware unusable.

Personally, I haven't noticed my external HDD or my thumbdrive not working on firmware 3.50... I just copied some savegames over to my USB stick just fine.

smeghead25:

Dana22:

At least we don't have Windows.

At least we don't have XBL or PSN.

Let the flamewar begin.

I bet you anything the cracked version of the game will remove that protection...

Well, I will give it to Sony, they are certainly doing everything they can to keeo pirates out

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here