This EVE Online Space Battle Cost $15,000

Pages 1 2 NEXT

This EVE Online Space Battle Cost $15,000

Fortunes are won and lost in EVE Online all the time. Sometimes, you lose $15,000 in real-world money in a single battle.

Ever since CCP started its Pilots License Extensions program (PLEX) in EVE Online, measuring destruction and theft in-game has been significantly more entertaining. PLEX allows players to trade the game's currency, ISK, into paid game time - essentially, turning the in-game currency into the equivalent of real-world cash. So whether the ISK is being destroyed or stolen, we can roughly work out how much real-life money has been thrown away.

The video seen here to the right depicts a mammoth space battle in EVE as an alliance of corporations attempted to destroy three Titan-class battleships under construction. If we told you that the battle resulted in widespread destruction estimated to cost about 300 billion ISK, that probably wouldn't mean much, would it?

On the other hand, if we told you that the 300 billion ISK had been worth $15,000, that starts to put it in perspective. That is a lot of money to blow on one single space battle. Yeah, it's certainly pretty (though you'd think there'd be a huge explosive payoff for that much cash), but you have to imagine that some of the players in question might have to reconsider what they're doing with their time - and money.

(Reddit Gaming, via PC Gamer)

that is....extreme, to say the least, these ships could make a excellent way of getting money if you kept making new and sell them somewhere.

dammit everything I hear about EVE makes me want to play, I wish I had discovered it a few years ago when I was single....

Hmmm...

Anyone know where they're getting the isk price for those plexes? I'm assuming they're going by the Jita average or something.

Anyways that's not all surprising amount of damage. I find it more entertaining however, when it's a gank on a big expensive ships launched by 600 or so people in cheap ass little 30k Velators. Pop a blaster on it, a drone in the drone bay, maybe a a afterburner if you're cap stable with it, just so they can't track on you (unless they have hob goblins, or hammer heads)

Interesting stuff! I need to refresh my subscription.

Not a lot of impressive space battles in that video. Mostly just blinking blobs far away. For all I know, it could be aliens discovering how to build flashlights!

Not even PLEX this time? Sorry, you can't trade in game currency for cash, so it's not $15,000. It is however a sad example of humanity.

Fr]anc[is:
Not even PLEX this time? Sorry, you can't trade in game currency for cash, so it's not $15,000. It is however a sad example of humanity.

True, but it really puts into perspective how much damage is being done.

John Funk:
... but you have to imagine that some of the players in question might have to reconsider what they're doing with their time - and money.

Maybe, but then all of that money was probably made in-game. It's pretty important to remember that PLEX does not generate ISK. PLEX is bought with ISK, yes, but that ISK has to actually be generated within the game to be spent first, and cannot be taken out of the game for real money. That's why the PLEX program has never unbalanced EVE Online's economy.

Atop that, given the exchange rates involved, most players don't use ISK for funding - especially because of the risk-factor in EVE. Yes, there are some that do, but players on that scale, like the Evoke alliance? Yeah, right, as if. Most, if not all of their players were probably using ISK accrued in-game through selling off the produce of those moons they were mining until they were lost, as per that video, to buy and use PLEX themselves.

In other words, there's something like a 70% chance those players were actually paying absolutely nothing to play EVE Online at all.

So no, I've a feeling most of the players in question are not reconsidering what they're doing with their time - and money. At least not because they feel they've lost $15,000. Maybe a few out of frustration, but most of them? Probably not. If anything, they might be feeling put off by the prospect of having to actually pay real money to play EVE, for the first time in years.

Alot of EvE news reports as of late, and im loving every single report, methinks i should dust off my old account, adopting my old Pirate Persona once more!

dududf:
Anyone know where they're getting the isk price for those plexes? I'm assuming they're going by the Jita average or something.

I suppose they're using very rough approximations of recent prices.
If anything precise would be used "The Forge" averages indeed, since that's where the vast majority is traded, the value would move all over the place on a daily basis.
http://www.eve-metrics.com/market/1108/items/29668
Here you can see the recent (30-day) stats across most EVE regions even if you don't play the game.
All the data is automatically submitted to this 3rd party site by people using a market history cache scrapper program acting as volunteer data collectors... so data is seldom 100% complete and sometimes not very reliable.
But it's a good enough indicator.

Mr. Lucas? Oh, Mr. Lucas.

Watch. Remember. We're waiting.

Fensfield:

In other words, there's something like a 70% chance those players were actually paying absolutely nothing to play EVE Online at all.

Just wanna point out, my friend has 4 accounts, and he pays for plexes for all 4 every month, and still has a whack ton in the bank. Last I checked, about 76b.

I love reading about that game, sounds scary as hell to play though.

dududf:

Fensfield:

Just wanna point out, my friend has 4 accounts, and he pays for plexes for all 4 every month, and still has a whack ton in the bank. Last I checked, about 76b.

Wow x.x And to think I still pay to play... XD *semi-casual*

It's probably a much higher chance than 70%, though, quite frankly.

aaahh, so thats the War i heard about of late, was wondering who was causing such a ripple, we are getting lots of refuges floating down the Curse, Cache and Detriod reigons.

Another good EVE story, which I love reading about. I have to get this game when I have the money.

Fensfield:

dududf:

Fensfield:

Wow x.x And to think I still pay to play... XD *semi-casual*

It's probably a much higher chance than 70%, though, quite frankly.

I was able to plex for my first 5 months, then I eased off, and now my account is "closed" just gotta pay to get it up. I may just pay for a year, take it easy, level up my skills.

Tibike77:
All the data is automatically submitted to this 3rd party site by people using a market history cache scrapper program...

AAAHHH too much eve speak! Even reading about it is giving me a headache!

(nothing personal mate, just making a joke)

Dammit. Making me want to restart my account. I'm putting if off until after my exams next year, but you're just making it harder!

dududf:
I was able to plex for my first 5 months, then I eased off, and now my account is "closed" just gotta pay to get it up. I may just pay for a year, take it easy, level up my skills.

Pretty much what I've been doing, especially now that I'm back at university >.>

Tibike77:

dududf:

I suppose they're using very rough approximations of recent prices.
If anything precise would be used "The Forge" averages indeed, since that's where the vast majority is traded, the value would move all over the place on a daily basis.
http://www.eve-metrics.com/market/1108/items/29668
Here you can see the recent (30-day) stats across most EVE regions even if you don't play the game.
All the data is automatically submitted to this 3rd party site by people using a market history cache scrapper program acting as volunteer data collectors... so data is seldom 100% complete and sometimes not very reliable.
But it's a good enough indicator.

Those prices in the forge there suck. Most I ever payed for a Plex was 260m.

John Funk:
alliance of corporations attempted to destroy three Titan-class battleships

Titans are not a battleships class

rembrandtqeinstein:
dammit everything I hear about EVE makes me want to play,

Same here, then I realize that I'm cheap as hell...

John Funk:

On the other hand, if we told you that the 300 billion ISK had been worth $15,000, that starts to put it in perspective. That is a lot of money to blow on one single space battle. Yeah, it's certainly pretty (though you'd think there'd be a huge explosive payoff for that much cash), but you have to imagine that some of the players in question might have to reconsider what they're doing with their time - and money.

See the thing is it's easier to make enough cash in Eve to just pay with in-game currency for your play-time than make 15 bucks in real life for unemployed person. They don't loose any real money, nor that much time compared to other people playing videogames. Not to mention thats's 300 billion ISK/15.000$ spread among loads of players.

You could start assigning real money value to WoW raids too. Assuming a death costs you about 10-15g in repairs plus 100g-150g in flasks/potions/etc., and 1000G goes for around 5euro according to quick Google search you can do the math how much a progress raid costs those 25 people, and you still have to pay subscription fee there! :P

dududf:

When was the last time you bought one and how long do you wait for one when you need it ? :)
PLEX prices spiked heavily in the more or less recent past, twice. Long story as to why, in both cases... suffice to say it's mostly driven by player trader speculation rather than anything else.

The less-but-still-somewhat-populated regions (like Aridia, Solitude, Syndicate, etc) can still have every now and then some dirt-cheap PLEX for sale, but you'd be hard-pressed to find one at a moment's notice.
You'd have to either let some orders sit for a while until somebody eventually sells one cheaply, or be the lucky guy that first buys a cheap one put up for sale.
I seriously doubt you could buy more than a handful of them per month at 260 mil or thereabouts per piece nowadays, no matter how hard you tried... but hey, maybe you have some secret you'd like to share :P

Tibike77:

dududf:

When was the last time you bought one and how long do you wait for one when you need it ? :)
PLEX prices spiked heavily in the more or less recent past, twice. Long story as to why, in both cases... suffice to say it's mostly driven by player trader speculation rather than anything else.

The less-but-still-somewhat-populated regions (like Aridia, Solitude, Syndicate, etc) can still have every now and then some dirt-cheap PLEX for sale, but you'd be hard-pressed to find one at a moment's notice.
You'd have to either let some orders sit for a while until somebody eventually sells one cheaply, or be the lucky guy that first buys a cheap one put up for sale.
I seriously doubt you could buy more than a handful of them per month at 260 mil or thereabouts per piece nowadays, no matter how hard you tried... but hey, maybe you have some secret you'd like to share :P

Last plex I bought was in August, so the prices should have changed, but not that much.

There was no trick. I went to jita, I found a sell order for a plex, they're usually pretty damn cheap, last one I bought was 255m or so.

I just went there and bought it. No buy order. Which is why I'm flabbergasted at those prices in forge.

rembrandtqeinstein:
dammit everything I hear about EVE makes me want to play, I wish I had discovered it a few years ago when I was single....

And it would've helped you stay single.

This game sounds awesome to be the developers or mods for. I'd hate to play it because I'd have so much at stake at all times. But it does make for great social experiments.

Wow, I would have been in this op, but it was going to be around midnight and I had to go to college. Nice to know this event is getting spread around, though it's 2 days late lol.

Everything I hear about EVE confirms to me that I should never, EVER play that game. I suspect I might never come up for air.

dududf:
Last plex I bought was in August, so the prices should have changed, but not that much.
There was no trick. I went to jita, I found a sell order for a plex, they're usually pretty damn cheap, last one I bought was 255m or so.
I just went there and bought it. No buy order. Which is why I'm flabbergasted at those prices in forge.

^^^
"The Forge" price evolution in the past year.
Click to open large.

Last time they sold for around 260 mil was in March 2010.
In August 2010 they went for a minimum of 300 mil and started rising heavily at about that time.

hell plexzes jumped in price like 30 mil over the last week, from 350 mil to now sitting at as of two days ago 380 mil a pop, being fall and as more people come back to the game from summery stuff and the fact that plexes can now be blown up or looted has pushed the prices up, usually fall you see an uptick in all costs as more people reutrn and try to stock up plexes and junk and demand rises.

so yea you can pull a average real life cost from plex values but if your in a good space zone farming officer drops and having moons that give good stuff etc you can blow well past the average isk per hour ratio with one good drop or one good haul.

if your slogging missions in empire or chewing on veldspar in some "safe" system then your looking at maybe 80 million an hour if you got good skills and can speed run missions or have your own personal mining fleet.

Wow, Thats a lot of ships O_o

i feel perplexed as in that video i had no idea what i was exactly looking at.

Jark212:

rembrandtqeinstein:
dammit everything I hear about EVE makes me want to play,

Same here, then I realize that I'm cheap as hell...

Well, if you spend enough time each month (and play "effectilvely") it's free.

The game itself is legally downlaoded along with a 15 day trial i think, and then once you get started, if you can farm enough in-game money (ISK) you can use that to pay for PLEXes (1 month subsciriptions) so basicly, if you make enough in-game money, you don't have to pay real life money to play.

I love this, and it makes me miss playing EVE - except I spend half my day with spreadsheets already and I don't have to pay for that privilege.

This is the first I'd heard of the PLEX idea, and in terms of keeping an MMO populated by making it free-to-play if you put sufficient time in, it's a great idea. WAR could've done this by giving you 60 seconds free every time you swore at the clunky mechanics and they could keep their playerbase sufficiently high to lure newbies in.

APB could've done the same if it didn't charge you for the time you spent staring at the loading screen, jazzy as it was.

Is ISK still Iceland's most valuable asset, or have things improved?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here