These Fruity Zerg Won't Make it to Heart of the Swarm

These Fruity Zerg Won't Make it to Heart of the Swarm

It's a shame that we'll probably never see these Zerg in StarCraft II - they look just peachy to me.

Judging by popular sentiment on Blizzard's Battle.net forums - and even its official stats, the creepy-crawly Zerg race seems to be a bit underrepresented in StarCraft II these days. And yet, when the dust had settled from the first Global StarCraft II League (GSL) competition, the winner was a bona fide member of the Swarm - a player who went by the name of "Fruit Dealer" (or sometimes "Cool").

To commemorate Fruit Dealer's infested rise to the top, Blizzard unveiled concept art for three new Zerg units - the Grapeling, Applelord, and Bananalisk - on the official StarCraft blog. While I suppose that we could always see these three new units make it into StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm, the odds seem sadly against it. Still, you never know: This is the developer who included both Terra-Tron and the Tauren Marine in the game (and map creator) as easter eggs.

I think we can all agree that if the Zerg looked like this, though, they'd have gone extinct long ego for just being too gosh-darned delicious.

(StarCraft II Blog)

Wait... the Terra-Tron is actually in the game? O.o

They lure you in with their promise of five servings a day and then they make you their nutritious snack!

Speaking as a Terran Marine, I eat Zerg for breakfast. This makes it all the more delicious.

Of course this explains why I thought Creep always looked like grape jelly to me. It is the trodden corpses of many Grapelings who gave their life for the Swarm.

HAHAHA THAT WAS SO PUNNY!!!!

I'll stop now.

that could atleat use it in an ingame movie joke thing

It's always funny to see a Korean pro completely lopside the established state of balance in the game. :P But then again, Korean Zergs have always been considered more progressive compared to their non-Korean counterparts.

Anyway, since I am completely out of touch with StarCraft nowadays, I appretiate this update. Hopefully, the state of StarCraft II will start improving in Korea.

Awesome artwork by Samewise!
Oh and Fruitdealer really played like a beast. You may consider adding the fact that he won approximately 85.000$ for that tournament win as well ;)

Canid117:
They lure you in with their promise of five servings a day and then they make you their nutritious snack!

No... they lure you in with 5 servings a day, and then make you into 5 servings a day.

Long ego, huh?

Starke:

gag units, you can find them in the map editor and you'll probably see them used in custom maps or something.

They had the same thing for warcraft 3, a bunch of gag units

So this zerg rush would be good for my health?
yaaaay!

Dude... I so want a Bananalisk plush for my desk...

Starke:

He's the boss of Lost Vikings and is in the Galaxy Editor.

Cool is an absolute genius. Look at 0:45 for the magnificent Baneling Carpet Bomb that he uses to break entrenched Terran positions. 1:45 is the 6 pool against Protoss on Steppes of War, which is stupidly hard to fend off (I'm not playing that map on the ladder anymore <_<), 2:10 of him surrounding Thors with his ultras and absolutely decimating them with cleavage.

I watched almost the entire tournament and it was quite awesome, better than most of the other tournaments around.

So the Banalisk is like a Zergling, and the Applelord is like a Roach. But I can't really tell what the Grapeling is supposed to be like.

Damn guys, Fruit dealer is amazing. You have no idea how incredible that guy is. Thanks for reminding me that I need to watch more games, John.

Starcraft Fruit-Snacks coming soon to a grocer near you. SNACK FOR THE SWARM!

I'm guessing we'll see these as easter eggs in Heart of the Swarm...fingers crossed for a 2011 release date.

Damn...am I really going to have to be the one to do this?

Okay then!

Looks like they are...

Fruit of the Doom!

When you absolutely need underwear, turn to the zerg. Maybe they'll be adopted as the new mascots. :)

Eldritch Warlord:
So the Banalisk is like a Zergling, and the Applelord is like a Roach. But I can't really tell what the Grapeling is supposed to be like.

You sure they aren't just Hydralisk, overlord and zergling? Really though the grapeling looks like a grounded overlord...

The grapeling is kinda cute, in a gruesome disemboweling and getting dissolved in acid puke sort of way.

Sigh...

This games seems like so much fun, if only I had a demo to confirm my computer can't run it, I wouldn't feel as bad.

But then again Civ 5 has a demo.... it's a shame it stops before it rapes your hardware. I figure Starcraft 2 is the same.

If the Swarm are anything like Orcs in Warhammer, I would love to flood the game with them as my proxy.

Eldritch Warlord:

A banneling I would guess.

See? Fruit is bad for you.

important point here, they are at best easter eggs, besides that new expansion will prolly be out (given Bliz's track record for release dates) way after people stopped caring about this fruit seller dude.....

^Damn you humans!

Starke:

Map editor.

But no Blizzard won't spend time to model it, it cost resource it is better put in making the game. Unless one developer is willing to put his free time in it (like all april fool joke and lost viking.)

deth2munkies:

Starke:

He's the boss of Lost Vikings and is in the Galaxy Editor.

Cool is an absolute genius. Look at 0:45 for the magnificent Baneling Carpet Bomb that he uses to break entrenched Terran positions. 1:45 is the 6 pool against Protoss on Steppes of War, which is stupidly hard to fend off (I'm not playing that map on the ladder anymore <_<), 2:10 of him surrounding Thors with his ultras and absolutely decimating them with cleavage.

I watched almost the entire tournament and it was quite awesome, better than most of the other tournaments around.

Well, it says a lot about me, you used the word "cleavage" and I forgot to read the rest of the post. :p

Exort:

But no Blizzard won't spend time to model it, it cost resource it is better put in making the game. Unless one developer is willing to put his free time in it (like all april fool joke and lost viking.)

You say that, but they bothered to model the Murloc Marine and the Tauren Marines.

It wouldn't surprise me if they model the Fruit of the Swarm.

I wonder if the zerg make a good juice.

I wanna eat the banana.

I thought maybe the were going to release Starcraft Fruit Snacks I got a little excited at that thought, the art is pretty cool though.

Hah. If that were the case people would love being Zerg Rushed...

Wow, that's certainly impressive and wonderful display of art. Saving the image right now and sell it for money. HurrHurrHurr!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here