Crop-Planting Dungeon Hack RPG Gets Sequel on PS3, Wii

Crop-Planting Dungeon Hack RPG Gets Sequel on PS3, Wii

Sim fans that missed out on the Wii's Rune Factory Frontier will be getting yet another chance to kill goblins while growing corn.

The Rune Factory series is an interesting beast that combines the farming seen in Harvest Moon with a dungeon hack. It's developed by Japanese studio Neverland Company and has seen multiple Nintendo DS entries with another on the Wii called Rune Factory Frontier, which was a fun title that many gamers looking for a farming/dungeon hack probably missed. For those that enjoyed it, a sequel has been announced.

Neverland Company revealed Rune Factory Oceans this week for the no doubt huge subset of consumers looking to wait for watermelons to grow while they raise violent sheep to help them kill dungeons full of creatures. Rather than just stick with the Wii this time, Neverland is also releasing the game on the PlayStation 3 and will include Move compatibility.

In Frontier, it was quite possible for players to spend hundreds of hours planting and harvesting crops, cooking, doing alchemy, crafting weapons, fishing, romancing women, and tearing into dungeons over and over to collect new materials. It was an odd mix that sometimes became tedious, but the content available to players was quite hefty. In fact, Nintendo statistics show that it holds one of the top averages in hours played per person above other games like Mario Kart Wii and Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

Oceans will hopefully tweak the formula laid out in Frontier and add to what made it fun. Instead of taking place in a single town, Oceans has players traveling across the sea on a humanoid giant named Ymir to find new lands, and it'll also feature battles against massive sea creatures. In addition, the main character is now oddly both a male and female in the same body, so you can imagine the hijinks that probably ensue. The game has only been announced for Japan so far, but with Rune Factory Frontier's decent reception in the West we could see it come overseas on the Wii, and maybe even PS3 too.

Source: Andriasang

I want it on PS3. I need an HD semi-Harvest Moon.

Wii games don't really look "bad" on my TV. But they look "off". It even hampered my enjoyment of Okami on the Wii! Gamecube games look fine.

I don't know what Sony did to make that NOT happen with the PS1 Classics store, though. They don't look "off" for some reason. As long as I turn off fullscreen. FF FMVs look NASTY stretched out.

This news just made my day.

I loved the first game, you got to fight vegetables and harvest monsters.

Freaking Awesome. I will be looking out for it.

I recently acquired Rune Factory 2 for the DS. There were mechanics in it that made it slightly less tedious than Rune Factory Frontier, and I hope those slight tweaks in the formula are incorporated in the newest edition. Then again, I haven't married anyone yet in it and graduated to the second part of the game, so RF2 may be tedious yet; maybe I'm typing too soon.

Maybe....

Maybe...

My hope is somewhere deep in there...

Tom Goldman:

Sim fans that missed out on the Wii's Rune Factory Frontier will be getting yet another chance to kill goblins while growing corn.

The "while growing corn" bit really hit me weird. With a little editing, we can have lots of fun.

"Louis C. K. fans who missed out on the superhero game adaptation bandwagon will finally get the chance to rid the world of the evil Dick Lecter and Ireenie while growing corn!"

Yes, I just wrote the teaser for, "Pootie Tang 3D Buckle Justice: It's A Cold Pone Tony On The Panny Styme, My Daimies! (A Prequel)". You can't unsee that.

I loved the first Rune Factory Frontier despite some parts of the game being brutally unfair, and I always felt the days were too dang short. I thought it was a huge improvement on the original DS game (didn't play the 2nd) and I like how much more emphasis crafting and cooking was given. The only thing they could stand to drop is runey management, even if properly managed runeys make crop growing absurdly profitable.

Gah I hope it come out on PS3, cant wait for it

I had vaguely heard of these games, and then forgot. I like the sound of them though. Ima see if I can find some old/used copies on the cheap.

Ahhhhh! I loved Rune Factory 2 on the NDS. I can't wait for RF on the PS3.

The wait for this RF on the PS3 would have been brutal if not for Rune Factory 3 (NDS), which is coming out soon (this coming November, I think).

Can't wait for some serious goblin stomping while planting corn. :D

Never played Rune Factory, but am interested in any game that strongly features oceans... Hope it comes here!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here