Namco Apologizes for "Inexcusable" Chilean Miner Welcome

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Namco Apologizes for "Inexcusable" Chilean Miner Welcome

Namco Bandai has apologized for using an image of Mr. Driller to welcome the recent rescue of 33 trapped Chilean miners, calling it "inexcusable."

Assuming you haven't been living on Mars for the past several months, you know that 33 miners in Chile were recently rescued after spending 69 days trapped in a collapsed mine. The last miner came out on October 14 and to mark the moment, Namco Bandai released an image featuring Mr. Driller and the Chilean flag, along with a message that notes the date and says, "Welcome Back!"

Mr. Driller is name of a series of Dig Dug-style videogames that debuted in arcades in 1999 and have since come out for the PlayStation, Game Boy Advance, Xbox Live Arcade, WiiWare and more. The lead character, Susumu Hori, aka Mr. Driller, is actually billed as the son of Dig Dug hero Taizo Hori.

But the image was apparently in rather poor taste in the eyes of some, because just a day later Namco Bandai took it down. What exactly sparked the removal is unknown but the company said on Twitter that it "lacked consideration," adding, "We would like to offer a profound apology to everyone. It was inexcusable."

Tasteless is in the eye of the beholder and maybe I'm a bit jaundiced in that regard, but the truth is that I'm really having trouble seeing what all the hubbub is about. A friend suggested that it was akin to using the WWE wrestler Earthquake to congratulate the survivors of an earthquake, which I think we can all agree would be pretty awful, but I don't believe the two situations are similar enough to warrant a comparison. Namco's image, while perhaps self-serving, was in my eyes just an expression of joy over a very happy ending to a story that could easily have gone the other way. Goofy maybe, but far from inexcusable. Am I off-base here?

Source: Kotaku

Tasteless? That was the most awesome thing ever in my eyes.

Families of "Tragedies" don't always adhere to logic sadly. What the rest of the world sees as a kind hearted welcome, the families say "How could you? He was trapped in there for 69 days you heartless bastard"

huh huh huh 69...

sorry lost my train of though, why do people get offended by everything i mean really he could have turned up with a sign saying tits or GTFO but he did'nt

Aww, I really liked this picture, so much so I made it my desktop background. I thought Mr. Driller's awesomeness transcended cultural boundaries.

Um, I don't get it?
This is offensive?

Well, on what authority is Namco Bandai welcoming them back? It's just a bad try at promotion. Though i don't think it needed to be taken down, i really can't feel bad about it.

Maybe I'm a lame politically incorrect dunderhead, but I think that's possibly the BEST thing they could've shown them.

Booze Zombie:
Um, I don't get it?
This is offensive?

It's because Mr. Driller is a miner, and no one's good enough at the game to make him not die over... and over... and over... and over...

I thought it was just fine. Oh well.

They just got slapped by the pimp hand of political correctness.

How the hell is this offensive? Yes, it's mining related, and a bunch of miners were rescued, ok, I get that much. But it's not like this mocks them, quite the opposite. People who bitch about that need to get a life, or preferably end the one they currently have. Too many damn idiots on this planet /hypocrisy
However, I do find it commendable that Namco even did something like this. It's not like they had a stake in the matter, so it's a rather nice gesture.

I.. don't really get why?

I am clearly missing something, it seems.

I find it more offensive the ridiculous race of politicians to aper next to one of the miners on tv to boost their popularity. Politicians that probably would have neglected or ignored requests for regulation on the miner industry just a few months ago that would have prevented all of this from ever happening.

Unless people were considering it a shameless plug for one of their games, I don't see what about the image could be offensive.

lacktheknack:
I thought it was just fine. Oh well.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.

Huh... whats so offensive about that pic...ture....

There's a puppy! A damn puppy? What the hell! You knew those Chilean miners didn't have a puppy with them, why you gotta remind them about the horrible lack of puppy eyes and begging they endured! I'd be angry too.

Seriously though meh... over-reactive, emotional people are over-reactive and emotional, similar to the whole Taliban deal the media corrupted and abused with Medal of Honor, at least no "Journalist" approached one of the families with a copy of the game and shoved it in their faces.

The message seems to be done in a strictly welcoming tone; not a sarcastic or ironic one.
Talk about mis-interpreting ones' intentions.

That's the kind of Politically Correct-world we live in today; where we are too afraid of lawsuits to even publicly celebrate the saving of lives.
Money is now more important than rational joy...this is such a stupid world we live in.

Celtic_Kerr:
Families of "Tragedies" don't always adhere to logic sadly. What the rest of the world sees as a kind hearted welcome, the families say "How could you? He was trapped in there for 69 days you heartless bastard"

yeah, what else have families of tragedies banned recently....oh yeah, the Taliban.

Despite the military saying the soldiers would quite enjoy it.

Feelings before Logic. AGAIN.

ShadowsofHope:

Clearly missing A HEART!

You monster, how can you not see how offensive and unnecessary this is?

I'm guessing they saw it as profiteering... maybe?

stinkychops:

ShadowsofHope:

Clearly missing A HEART!

I honestly cannot tell if you are being serious or not in this post. And you still failed to answer my question, though I suppose I've already found out through skimming over a few other posters responses.

Image seemed fine to me, and the miners themselves seemed to have a good sense of humour about the event despite how horrible it might seem to outsiders. Just people overreacting again :/

at some point we really need to sit down and have a frank discussion about what constitutes actual offensiveness and just really, really lame political correctness for the sake of being dicks.

Halley M:
at some point we really need to sit down and have a frank discussion about what constitutes actual offensiveness and just really, really lame political correctness for the sake of being dicks.

At which it will be decided that debates over what can be offensive is in fact offensive to some people, ergo no more debates.
And just to be sure I'm perfectly politically correct: dear idiots who are offended by this picture, kindly go fuck yourselves. Thank you. (see, I said thanks...)

BASICS PEOPLE!! BASICS!!!

lets go back to some cultural background here!, being Mexicano, i kind of understand why it happened.

Most Latin american´s have NO idea about what the world of video games is about

many dont care
several more dont really give a lot of thought into the matter (just a distraction for the kids under 15, most under 13)
and the chilean miners probably have never played or even touched a video game in their entire lives

so, if i got stuck in a mine for "so many days" and i saw a "Cartoonish" character saying "welcome", my frist question would be "WTF is that?"

after receiving the answer of "A Video Game Character" OBVIOUSLY i would go Nuts! (given, i have no idea how the industry works, why they are doing it, and i would feel like they are "mocking" me)

"I´m stuck in a frikken cave and some guy is trying to promote his video game on my suffering?, is this a joke?, and wtf is that supposed to be??, me???"

soooo... in part is "not understanding the media" and in part is just plain "paranoid behaviour" but for the most part is "not knowing what the hell is that thing"

What? But Mr. Driller was wicked awesome!

It's a "superhero" miner saying "Welcome back"

I don't see the issue.

Here's tasteless:

funny thing they tried to write "bienvenido de vuelta"(welcome back) in spanish but instead ended up writing "bienvenido de nuevo"(welcome again), which makes less sense...
someone give these people a dictionary :P.
Also, do they really think anyone in the audience knew who that character was? lol...

Huh, I thought it was kind of cool :P

Arawn.Chernobog:
It's a "superhero" miner saying "Welcome back"

I don't see the issue.

Here's tasteless:

yes. that "is" tasteless. I found the whole prospect of Mr.Driller to be hilarious though.

I'm not sure if it was tasteless ... I think if I was one of the miners greeted by such a sight, I'd be confused as to what the hell the Japanese were trying to plug.

Here's a company I know nothing about (from a Chilean miner's perspective), presenting me with something with characters I know not what, bastardising my country's flag. Why the fuck are you makeing light of the situation with cartoonish idiocy printed on my nation's flag? OH .. you're a GAMES COMPANY ... for the love of God if this a plug for a game I will find you and hunt you down.

I mean it may look harmless, but I think you can sorta understand the confusion and possible anger it could cause.

Onyx Oblivion:
Tasteless? That was the most awesome thing ever in my eyes.

Same here. Anything related to Dig Dug is awesome by default.

It was obviously well intentioned, and anyone getting upset about it is simply a douchebag.

No the equivalent to using Earthquake to welcome back earthquake survivors would be using the physical embodiment of a cave-in, not a child from Japan with a penchant for drilling.

In fact I would want him to welcome me back. Hell if he existed they would have gotten out like a week after they were trapped.

ShadowsofHope:

stinkychops:

ShadowsofHope:

Clearly missing A HEART!

I honestly cannot tell if you are being serious or not in this post. And you still failed to answer my question, though I suppose I've already found out through skimming over a few other posters responses.

It's a beautiful thing isn't it.

Also HentMas changed my mind. Good point/s.

That Mr. Drill guy is actually kinda cute! I'd be happy to see something like that if I was trapped in a dark place for 69 days.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here