Valve Denies Possibility of Steam Trade-Ins

Pages PREV 1 2

Amnestic:

GeneticallyModifiedDucks:
Seriously, can someone explain to me how that would work, hypothetically?

Right click your game, click "Trade-In", pop up telling you get £#/$#/€# in Magical Steam Credits for trading in your game, click okay, you then lose any access you had to that game and get credited some 'Steam Points' or something to spend on other Steam games.

Would be my guess. I can't see why Valve would offer this, but that would be my hypothetical guess as to how it might work.

When you consider it though the journalists who reported on this clearly didn't think it through. Since Valve, for all intents and purposes, has as many licenses to sell for a game as it wants; ergo getting one "back" in the pool is totally meaningless. Valve would never profit from the license traded unlike Gamestop with a used disc. Sure, the user sacrifices a game from their library but just as well cut off the first two joints of your little finger and Valve gives you a discount on your next game for all the difference it makes to them.

Woodsey:

WhiteTigerShiro:
/yawn

Another article about Prachter, another topic filled with people hating on him. Same ole, same ole.

He is being particularly stupider than usual.

Yeah, that's how they reply in every article. Also, in before obligatory "that's because he gets dumber by the day" response. Yeah, see what I mean? I even know how you were going to reply. =P

WhiteTigerShiro:

Woodsey:

WhiteTigerShiro:
/yawn

Another article about Prachter, another topic filled with people hating on him. Same ole, same ole.

He is being particularly stupider than usual.

Yeah, that's how they reply in every article. Also, in before obligatory "that's because he gets dumber by the day" response. Yeah, see what I mean? I even know how you were going to reply. =P

So what, you think he makes worthwhile predictions?

Woodsey:

No, I think replies to any article that even mention his name are getting annoyingly predictable.

Good. Even if it could work, it would still be a lame idea since Valve would effectively hold a monopoly on the used market. As much as people harp on about GameStop (which is getting annoying, quite frankly), it's not like you are obligated to sell your used games there.

Of course, Valve can do something even better and allow people to untie retail copies from their accounts so they can sell them. But hey, we wouldn't want people to actually be able to utilise their legal rights now, would we?

WhiteTigerShiro:

Woodsey:

No, I think replies to any article that even mention his name are getting annoyingly predictable.

Next time, I vow to be unpredictable!

It would make no sense to allow this, steam is attractive to publishers and developed for many reasons amongst which they never have to worry about trade-ins cannibalizing their market. Even if they could get a cut their margins would not be as good and it would create problems for the main store.

All this hate makes me glad I never knew about this guy before.

Smugleaf:
Or maybe Pachter is just stupid.

You mean the dude who spouts off random crap as predictions might be dumb? Perish the thought!

how can digital data ever be ''used'' anyway, its as good as new if it is digital whether it is 4 years old or just come out

Definitely a backpedal, I don't see how such a detailed quote could have surfaced from a "misinterpretation" what would that even look like anyway? How do you ask a question in such a way that gets him to say "yeah, they'll allow trade ins" if he doesn't think they will?

This isn't what's important, what's important is that Valve still doesn't allow refunds on Steam.

Quite justified, though. I can assume the millions of dollars Valve would lose due to refunded copies of Red Faction: Guerrilla.

Also, I somehow have two copies of the Civilization IV pack and Unreal Tournament 3, and Valve refuses to let me refund or gift them to someone.

Scrythe:

Also, I somehow have two copies of the Civilization IV pack and Unreal Tournament 3, and Valve refuses to let me refund or gift them to someone.

Are you sure those "2" versions are not the Mac and PC versions of which you own both?

Edit. Oh yeah and Pachter is dumb and stuff.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.