Molyneux "Hates" Idea of a Fable Trilogy

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Molyneux "Hates" Idea of a Fable Trilogy

Trilogies are a staple of modern media, but not when it comes to Peter Molyneux's Fable.

There's something about the number "3" that speaks to the human mind. Look it up, it's true. This might be why we create trilogies all the time, such as the Star Wars trilogies, the Mass Effect trilogy, the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and the Burger King videogame trilogy (soon to see a second?). Just in case you were wondering if Microsoft and Peter Molyneux's Fable III was going to mark the end of a trilogy of its own, it won't.

Speaking to Inside Xbox at the Eurogamer Expo, Peter Molyneux revealed that the word "trilogy" isn't even in his vocabulary when it comes to Fable. "Forget about the word 'trilogy,'" he said. "I hate limiting ourselves to a trilogy."

He even hinted that the ending of Fable III will lead right into the next game. "I want you to feel that you're on a journey in Fable, and I'm not going to tell you what happens at the end of Fable III, but I don't think you'll feel in any way that you've reached the end of a trilogy," he added.

Years ago, Molyneux said he and his team had ideas for Fable all the way to a fifth game. His more recent comments emphasize that Fable will continue as long as both Molyneux and gamers can stand it.

This is surely great news for anyone that loves farting on strangely dressed virtual companions. Fable III will be released on October 26.

Source: Gamerzines

Years ago...

This is a man who wanted a Black & White game for every major stepping stone of civilisation. look how far THAT got.

You also forgot the 'Increasingly Inaccurately Named Hitchhiker's Guide Trilogy.'
Who doesn't like the Rule Of Three?

But how would you one-up the amazing cast of Fable 3?

AHNOLD? Morgan Freeman?

Seriously. You have Cleese, Kingsley, Fry, Pegg and more already...You'll need some serious heft to outdo yourself.

Well he did say he wanted like 7 Fables... and as long as he makes significant improvements overall each time I'm fine with this.

Go Peter Molyneux!

I've grown to hate the idea of Peter Molyneux. Hes kind of this false auteur who sputs all this ambitious nonsense and never really gets anything truely great done. I mean Fable and Fable 2 were ok but they never managed to be excelent or even, in some aspects, good games. I would tolorate all his random spoutings if his games have actually been great over the past 10 years, as it stands he is a loud mouth who makes middle of the road experiences.

Maybe by fable 5 it will be fun

I don't think anyone thought Fable 3 was the end. Why on earth would they stop milking that cash cow.

You don't like the thought of a Fable Trilogy, and yet here we are, Pete. I'm getting some real mixed signals here.

The Great JT:
You don't like the thought of a Fable Trilogy, and yet here we are, Pete. I'm getting some real mixed signals here.

A trilogy means you have to stop at the 3rd game. Molyneux just said that he wants to keep making Fables and not stop at Fable 3. Which just made me think less of him.

Good, so there'll be a Fable 4.

Who let Molyneux out of his cage again? Lionhead need to get a tighter leash on this awful, awful man.

Ok so I'm just gonna go ahead and make a stab at what might happen in a later game. So you're out either saving or destroying the world again when suddenly DUN DUN DUN! Theresa turns out to be a bad guy! If Peter really does throw that in a later game as a "plot twist" I will laugh.

Fable will be around as long as any form of Xbox is.

WorldCritic:
Ok so I'm just gonna go ahead and make a stab at what might happen in a later game. So you're out either saving or destroying the world again when suddenly DUN DUN DUN! Theresa turns out to be a bad guy! If Peter really does throw that in a later game as a "plot twist" I will laugh.

Don't knock it if you can't beat it.

That would be col to see fable go beyond just a trilogy but I hope it doesn't hurt the franchise.

Onyx Oblivion:

AHNOLD? Morgan Freeman?

Seriously. You have Cleese, Kingsley, Fry, Pegg and more already...You'll need some serious heft to outdo yourself.

David Bowie, William Shatner, Brian Blessed and Dan Green. Obviously. Now guess what role they'd each play.

How could anyone think of Fable as a trilogy? The only connection between the first two is being set in the same world, though enough time passed between to effectively reset everything. I'm sure Fable 3 is going to be just as disconnected.

I'm just waiting for a Fable set in modern times, hell, in the FUTURE would be pretty awesome.

"His more recent comments emphasize that Fable will continue as long as both Molyneux and gamers can stand it."

I think you mean,

"His more recent comments emphasize that Fable will continue as long as Molyneux can stand it and gamers can stand Molyneux."

He's been working for Microsoft for too long.

I love this man. I love the franchise as well.

And damn, I love the App Kingmaker. I already made 500 Gold by merely planting 10 flags in the same area. Since it is a Sunday, I just planted them on the same spot and weirdly enough the app approves it. There is a limit of ten flags per day and tomorrow I will be travelling and taking over areas to increase my gold amount. This surely is becoming a very fun and addicting game! Try it out people!

Rex Dark:
Good, so there'll be a Fable 4.

Yeah, I'm counting this as the pre-official-announcement announcement.

I enjoyed Fable 1 and 2, their quirky. Fable 3 will probably also be quirky. As with every other Fable game to come hopefully. Now if they could just duct tape Peter Molyneus's mouth shut when they release it so everyones hopes dont get dashed away at release, then we would have a great series.

"He even hinted that the ending of Fable III will lead right into the next game."

You know Peter, we call that a cliffhanger, and they're terrible ideas.

You know, I don't mind the Fable games, though every single one has been an exercise in disappointment and unfulfilled promises (Peter should run for Pres, wark, wark). What I can't stand is Molyneux's verbal diarrhea. The man has admitted being a terrible game designer. The only thing that made me moderately interested in Fable III was when I heard that he wasn't very involved with it.

And Honestly, when is a company not wanting to abandon its money-making franchises a new thing. Nintendo's been doing that for years, I hate to break it to you Peter.

wasnt the idea for B&W to have several more games in it as well going over more of human history

I don't like the idea of a trilogy because Fable I was already so much better than Fable II and I haven't heard much that makes Fable III seem different. (Not that I'm trying particularly hard, though.)

clankwise:
Maybe by fable 5 it will be fun

Even if it is, he'll likely promise so much the actual game seems like garbage.

Yep, Fable: Modern Fantasy Warfare is coming soon.

Woodsey:
He's been working for Microsoft for too long.

I must agree with you on that one! he's been "Softsick" by being too long in their grasp...

Onyx Oblivion:

AHNOLD? Morgan Freeman?

Yeah, maybe they'll have to outdo themselves with gameplay or something next time! Instead of gimmicks!

Nah, I kid.

That won't happen.

With Fable being one of my favorite game series, this is great news to me, so long as the games don't suffer for it.

It'd be interesting if he actually managed to pull it off without pissing off fans of the previous installments.

Until gamers can't stand it? I think that happened after the first one!

OT: Actually, I love the Fable series, and the Fable series doesn't fit a trilogy. Each are self-contained stories with the three-act structure happening inside of them, not arching over the whole series.

No, of course not! I'm Peter Molyneux, my series is going to be a billion billion games long and each one of them is going to be the BEST THING EVER MADE!

Honestly I will be pumped if the Fable series keeps going, 1 and 2 were a blast and I'm counting down the days for 3. My vote is to keep them coming

I wouldnt say Fable was a trilogy anyway. They are 3 different stories set in the game world. Where as a trilogy is based around the same character and follows him for 3 games or films. You can make a 4th part, but that would normally have nothing to do with the first 3 films and more often than not starts with a new character and story.

All i want from Fable 3 is a good story and game world. All i hear from Peter is the usual crappy additions that he thinks are amazing but most people do not care about. He talks about how amazing the addition of holding hands and mutating weapons but i get the feeling he spends his time on this stuff than the plot. Fable 2 he went on about that dog, and then we go a crap game world and story.

Come on Peter....make me proud.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or