Parents Television Council Calls Game Industry "Thugs" and "Bullies"

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Parents Television Council Calls Game Industry "Thugs" and "Bullies"

The Parents Television Council says the videogame industry and its supporters are "thugs" and "bullies" for daring to stand up for their First Amendment rights at the Supreme Court.

The Parents Television Council, a conservative watchdog group dedicated to restoring "responsibility and decency to the entertainment industry," has long supported California's efforts to impose a law regulating the sale of videogames to minors, so with the final step in that process looming, it's not a big surprise that it's cranking up the rhetoric a bit. Even so, its recent column on "Harassment and Half-Truth" is a bit harsh.

"Like the violent thugs which populate so many of the games it sells, the videogame industry has responded to the ongoing court case with vicious attacks," the editorial states. "California State Senator Leland Yee, who introduced the law, has been personally targeted by the videogame industry and various groups they fund."

Senator Yee, as you may recall, was "targeted" by a Video Game Voters Network campaign which called for gamers to write "I support the First Amendment" on their old or broken controllers, then mail them to the Senator to remind him that they won't stand idly by while he attempts to control their media consumption. This "hate mail," as the PTC desrcribed it, "is simply the industry throwing a temper tantrum and trying to intimidate someone who dares to hold them to the standards the gaming industry itself allegedly endorses."

"The videogame industry and those who support them are bullies, plain and simple," it continues. "The PTC urges its members to stand up to the billionaire game companies that profit from selling sex and violence to children."

There's an undeniable irony in the PTC's claim that the videogame industry has "resorted to half-truths to try to make its point," which is rendered somewhat less amusing by the fact that these people may actually get their way, and that in an unprecedented assault on the sanctity of the First Amendment an entire medium may be muzzled, not for what it does, but simply for what it is. Someday, hopefully, we'll be able to look back on this and laugh, but right now it's really not very funny at all.

Oral arguments in Schwarzenegger v. EMA/ESA are scheduled to take place on November 2.

via: GamePolitics

Oh the wonderful irony of the Parents TELEVISION Council, watchdogs of "responsibility and decency to the entertainment industry" are pointing at US for "selling sex and violence to children".

lol what

seriously who run the PTC a load of 17th century Quakers

Wait wait wait...

Television council?

Yeah cause you're obviously an unbiased expert on this(!)

This is honestly starting to scare me. The uninformed masses will hear the cries of these "special interest groups", and they will do whatever they tell them to...

Well, first amendment, it's been fun while it lasted. Have a good life elsewhere.

Right, because the oppression of rights is far less aggressive than protesting peacefully to maintain them.

Fuckwits.

Cockfaces.

Morons.

This made me laugh. Television is more responsible for the perpetual cycle of sexualisation younger and younger children. Over here in the United Kingdom we were all shocked at the popularity of Susan Boyle, who just so happened to be not so physically attractive. Television has conditioned all of our offspring to push themselves to be thin, perfect and full of 'talent'. It's a dangerous social frame of mind and I very much doubt video-games have had any part in this sort of thing. Violent video-games do no similar dangers to minors, and if they even do harm, it is the PARENTS responsibility and not the child's. It should never be the government's right to regulate an artistic medium of such potential.

My 2 cents.

What is it with parents anyway?

Does cranking out a child automatically instil a person with a zealous desire to rid the world of anything that might threaten the purity of their little darling?

"Herp Derp teh Gamers r bullein us!"

What a generalization, perhaps if these people opened their eyes then they would see that 99% of the people who make and play games are completely nice, normal people.

The people who are crazy get the most attention and therefore, generalizations are made.

I... don't know what to make of this.

lacktheknack:
Oh the wonderful irony of the Parents TELEVISION Council, watchdogs of "responsibility and decency to the entertainment industry" are pointing at US for "selling sex and violence to children".

This entirely, why is it the industries responsibility to keep violent games out of the hands of children? This is just parents being too lazy to watch what their own kids are doing.

Zhukov:

Does cranking out a child automatically instil a person with a zealous desire to rid the world of anything that might threaten the purity of their little darling?

I haven't got a clue. When I have a kid (woe betide that little tyke) i'm going to offer him the chance to smoke and drink early. Best know the risks and the world early rather than get kicked up the ass later :P

God it's Jack Thompson all fucking over again!

"Like the violent thugs which populate so many of the games it sells, the videogame industry has responded to the ongoing court case with vicious attacks," the editorial states. "California State Senator Leland Yee, who introduced the law, has been personally targeted by the videogame industry and various groups they fund."

Seriously? It's even the same language and everything!

Andy Chalk:

The Parents Television Council, a conservative watchdog group

You lost me at that.

Libertarian and proud of it!

So they are mad that we are standing up for our rights?
This sucks...

Yup, because gamers can really throw their weight around in this situation. Has anyone in America aside from actual gamers listened to our side at all?

Fucking hypocrites.

Flamezdudes:
The people who are crazy get the most attention

And oddly enough, that's generally the people opposing us gamers. Maybe we need to do some crazy shit and people will pay attention!

"selling sex and violence to children".

Here I thought it was the parents who bought games/films/books (lol, books, I wish) to their children? Or am I wrong? Last time I checked, ALL games were given a rating. Isn't this what should be discussed? Or have I missed something?

Happy I don't live over there, shame that this shit will carry over here, sooner or later.

Korey Von Doom:

lacktheknack:

This entirely, why is it the industries responsibility to keep violent games out of the hands of children? This is just parents being too lazy to watch what their own kids are doing.

I was trying to point out that television is by far more vile and sleazy, while being more accessible to children.

Andy Chalk:

The Parents Television Council, a conservative watchdog group dedicated to restoring "responsibility and decency to the entertainment industry,"...

Whats funny is that the game industry is the most responsible of them all.

This is starting to feel distressingly similar to several dystopian scifis I've been reading lately....

Zhukov:

Yes.

That can be a good thing... or a very, very bad thing.

Oh for fucks sake.

This is getting beyond stupid now. When will groups like the PTC realise that gaming isn't exclusively for children? Mature games are made with the intention of being sold to adults, or at the very least those who are able to process and understand the subject matter. Last time I checked, GTAIV was never marketed to kids, neither were any of the Call of Duty games. They were marketed in the same way mature films are, explaining the subject matter and letting the audience choose to play them. If kids got a hold of them, it's the fault of the fucking parents for not understanding the medium. All the PTC is doing is making the generalization that because it is a game it instantly correlates towards being childish, or at least intended for children.

Jesus Christ, how many of these groups and politicians are living in their own little bubble world, being unable to differentiate an entire medium? They would never dream of relating the latest Pixar or Disney flick to one another in terms of content and audience demographic, but because it's a 'video game' they think they're all going for the same audience. The game industry has gone all out to promote the differences between content suitable for kids and what is not, and yet they still get burdened with cunts like this.

Fuck the PTC. They should all go die in a car fire.

If only I could send a tip or email to them, I'd love to send them a link for their own Web of Trust scorecard, seeing as they are marked as an "orange" ring (only thing worse is red, and that gets insta-blocked).

http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/parentstv.org

I agree that stores should not sell mature rated games to minors, but only if same rule will apply to movies and music.

Wait, what? Since when does the videogame industry "bully" people? Does it take their lunch money for kicks? Actually, yeah, activision does that, but we shun them.

Zhukov:

Well they want to protect the child, obviously. However some think that protecting a child from bumping their knees calls for a suit of armour and the worlds most advanced forcefield technology.

OT:
This law will not pass. The opposition is massive and the last thing Schwarzenegger should want when he is in debt (He in particular due to less taxes being paid and more money being spent in education. Budget Derp) is the restriction of an entire industry.

Andy Chalk:
"The PTC urges its members to stand up to the billionaire game companies that profit from selling sex and violence to children."

There are BIG labels on the game saying whatever the age rating is there. It's not hard. Also, when was the last time a game actually sold us sex? I'm talking detail and full frontal nudity here.

Calumon: Why would it be Hate Mail if I sent it with hearts on my letter?

BritishWeather:
lol what

seriously who run the PTC a load of 17th century Quakers

That's what I'm guessing. Does anyone worth mentioning actually listen to what PTC have to say?

Lord, these "conservative watchdog group" need to go piss up a rope and leave people alone already. Little kids who dress like whores, buy dangerous toys, violent videogames and other inappropriate material are getting their money from somewhere. "Somewhere" being their PARENTS. So suddenly not allowing them to buy the games themselves will only result in the parents, who obviously don't care either way, going get the games regardless. Situation doesn't change.

Why can't people find better things to do with their time? Go protest violence against women, child abuse or your own corrupt government or some god damn thing that actually matters in the world.

Zhukov:

No but apparently when you become a parent in the US, you require everyone else to do your job for you.

So, airing Two and a Half Men on TV all day is better for our kids than say, playing through a game like Persona or Heavy Rain, both of which are M rated games too? Good to know.

The Parent's Television Council needs to get their heads out of their asses and realize if you restrict a medium *by law* even moreso than the law already covers, you begin to slide down a very slippery slope of censorship. There is nothing in the video game industry that is any more obscene than what we've had on television and radio, and yet parents refuse to believe that they can control what they buy for their children because "the video game industry and those who support them are bullies, plain and simple". I don't recall ever going into a video game store and being accosted into buying any particular game. I have seen cashiers list off a huge list of ESRB warning from the box of Grand Theft Auto 4 to a parent buying the game for her 12-year-old son's friend as a birthday gift. If you're still buying the game for a minor at that point, that is not the fault of the industry.

This council sound like a bunch of cowards to me.

Man up and try taking care of your own kids instead of everyone's.

Yeah, well they are. Just look at Activision. That's one big fucking bully that needs to be thrown down by bloody revolution. Or that guy that was fired for hatin' on Kane & Lynch. That's some bullying right there.

Let's face it, the games industry is a corrupt and cruel one. It's kind of strange in this day and age.

If they get their way, it will be the biggest successful attack on our First Amendment rights since...well I guess it isn't half as bad as all the things certain former Republican administrations did, but still. How about we say that they can't teach religion to children because someone is brutally nailed to a cross. THEY PUT UP THE DAMN THING EVERYWHERE! how is that less violent.

Also, gamers seem to have very little to say in this argument. Considering that we are the most affected group (not personally, but the implications can spread) I haven't seen a damn thing about any gamers being interviewed. Also, it's hardly hate mail when it's broken controllers. Junk mail maybe, but I see no hatred with sending broken tech to someone who plans to stick his nose where it doesn't belong.

It is one thing to limit games to those under 18 but don't define games as lacking first amendment support. That is just going way to far and could be something that we are stuck with for years until the above 50's die out.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here