Ravage the World as Genghis Khan with Free Civ V DLC

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Ravage the World as Genghis Khan with Free Civ V DLC

As a tribute to fans, Firaxis is offering a free Mongols Civilization and Scenario Pack as well as the Babylonian Civ for purchase on Oct. 26th.

You can download the Mongol pack through Steam and use Genghis Khan's Mongol Horsemen to take over swaths of Asia and Europe. The free DLC will contain a scenario allowing you to start from Khan's humble beginnings to eventually dominate the largest empire known to man. Also available on Oct. 26th is the Babylonian Civ Pack with which you can take on the role of Nebuchadnezzar II and bring peace, or not, with your Babylonian Bowmen. The Babylonians were previously only available to those customers who bought the Digital Deluxe Edition. The Babylonian Civilization Pack will cost $4.99. Both packs require the full version of Civ V to play.

While I'm as excited as the next guy to hear about more Civ V content, I'm a little confused as to the pricing of this DLC. I mean, it's awesome to get some free DLC with the Mongol pack, but why in the name of Sid Meier does exactly one civilization cost five bucks? That just doesn't make sense. Perhaps Firaxis is just experimenting to test the DLC waters, but I hope they get a more sensible price structure. Each new Civ should only be a $1, while scenarios or more content can be a bit higher.

What do you guys think? Am I taking crazy pills? Will those of you who didn't nab the Digital Deluxe Edition buy access to one civ for $5?

owh gawd fix the terrible AI & civ balancing before adding more civs to crap things up with

I'd pay $5 a civ, but for that amount I would pick and choose, and only buy civs that I would actually use (IE I would have to like their abilities)

KHAN! Oh god, Genghis Khan is awesome.

As for $5 for a civ, no, especially not for Babylon. Also, that pic with Genghis Khan's diplomacy screen looks like a photoshop of the Greek one. If that is what it will look like then I'm calling cheapness on Firaxis's part.

Gengis is free
This is a steal gimme gimme gimme!

Babylonians are $5
Not worth it sorry guys but you are not my civ of choice.

Why is all my stuff coming out the week of the 25th?

Ooh free DLC. Neat! Not to sure about paying 5 Euros for the other. But cause I'm an idiot and I can't resist I'll probably buy. I shouldn't though...

I wont give Firaxis any of my money until the game is at least at a comparable state to C4BTS.

I can't fucking wait for my new PC! Hurry up!

EmperorZuma:
Also, that pic with Genghis Khan's diplomacy screen looks like a photoshop of the Greek one. If that is what it will look like then I'm calling cheapness on Firaxis's part.

It's free, so I don't think you can do that.

That being said, I'm buying the digital deluxe edition (for the soundtrack) after this semester.

Genghis Khan is just about the manliest military leader ever (aside from maybe Hannibal), so adding him is almost guaranteed awesome.

Also, $5 just for Babylon? That's a little absurd. I'll just stick to my China/Mongols.

lacktheknack:

EmperorZuma:
Also, that pic with Genghis Khan's diplomacy screen looks like a photoshop of the Greek one. If that is what it will look like then I'm calling cheapness on Firaxis's part.

That being said, I'm buying the digital deluxe edition (for the soundtrack) after this semester.

Doesn't pairing it's release up with the other "expensive" DLC give me the right?

EmperorZuma:

lacktheknack:

EmperorZuma:

Doesn't pairing it's release up with the other "expensive" DLC give me the right?

No. Free DLC is free DLC. Skimping out on a diplomacy screen is the least we can expect from it.

If you had to buy the $5.00 one to get the other, then you could complain.

lacktheknack:

It's worth it. And then you get Babylon anyway.

Genghis Khan is a reskinned alexander.

Nebuchadnezzar II is a reskinned Augustus Caeser.

Ah, what the fuck I'll buy it anyway

I'm just waiting for them to bring the vikings back...

Whatever you do, WHATEVER YOU DO, do NOT kill his emissaries.

Inalchuq learned the hard way.

I want Shaka and the Zulu's!

I'd love to play as the Mongols, but I always hated playing against them. Even on a peaceful game, I'd eliminate them as fast as possible or they would always grow into a huge nuisance (that and they respawned as the Gandhi and the Indians which was a much better neighbor! Lol!) Not sure what version that was, probably Civ3 as they all run together now on me.

As far as the Babylonians...not worth it by itself. Maybe if they get a few more added and do a discount for buying multiple? Maybe then. I want more civs to go against.

Very not worth it. Then again I am waiting a while to see how things shape up especially due to this DLC non-sense. As it is I had to uninstall Civ 4 so I could be productive again, so skipping Civ 5 is no skin off my back.

Tell you what, put some of the more . . . different Civs in, and then we have a deal.

Let's see Hitler's Germany, Boudica's England, Pol Pot's Cambodians, or maybe even Yasser Arafat's Palestine?

If you're going to stay away from real life, then don't try and make us pay fantasy prices.

Makes me want to watch Mongol again. What a great movie.

Free DLC is always good.

So they jumped to the DLC wagon as well? Shame. I'll get the free stuff, but I wont be getting Civ 6 if they ever make it.

I'm still waiting for Australia to make their debut in the Civ series. Hell, if they offered Australia as DLC, they could charge me $30 and I'd probably still buy it.

Hell yeah! The Mongols had forged the largest empire of all history, I was frankly dissapointed they weren't included in place of someone like say...the Songhai!

Alright, sure it didn't last longer than a single century, but still - that's no mean feat either heh.

How about they fix the horrible AI first before they start releasing DLC?

Soviet Heavy:

Free DLC is always good.

Come out with the second movie!!!

I would never pay $5 for a single civ in my life. Maybe a dollar a civ. I was hoping more along the lines of $0.50 though.

I'd imagine that the 5$ price tag has a lot more to do with simple hosting fees. I'd genuinely wonder if charging only 1$ would cover the cost it takes to keep servers maintained for hosting the content for download.

Yeah, 5$ seems a bit much for just on civ, but it's still just five bucks. Hold off on going to eat out one night, or hold off on buying expensive drinks if you do. Problem solved.

And I agree, the AI needs some work. I'm going to scream if I see ghadi make another horde of elephant archers not because they're strong but because it's a colossal pain in the ass to fight them when literally every other tile in his territory has one.

$5 is a bit much for just one civ. If it were closer to $1 I'd be more likely to get it. I am happy to hear about the free DLC though.

well i dont know if this matters, but Babylon is my favorite civ to play as. They are amazing at science production

tehroc:

Soviet Heavy:

Free DLC is always good.

Come out with the second movie!!!

It is supposed to be in 2010, but we are running out of 2010...

2fish:

2fish, What is that eye from? Looks like something from Claymore.

As for this DLC... I guess I expected this sort of thing. And yet I wonder how this will effect plans to release a major expansion. Civs have always had expansions and one of the draws of those has typically been new civilizations to play as. In addition however, they also usually include system overhauls such as governance options or even major systems like espionage or religion. So in short, will we see nothing but small "byte-sized" dlc or will a major expansion still release at some point? And if it does will there be overlap?

I had noted there were some classic civilizations missing, the Mongols, Spanish, Dutch, Incans Zulu and Byzantines have been traditional and expected members of the game's roster so I expected them to come along at some point. It's only the delivery that has surprised me.

Ghengis John:

2fish:

2fish, What is that eye from? Looks like something from Claymore.

It is from Trigun, it is Legato Bluesummers eye. My favorite character from that Anime followed closely by Brilliant Dynamites Neon.

So did I not get the Babylonians. I can't even recall, I think I did.

Is Cradle of Civilization the thing that has the Babylonian? I guess I could go check...but then I'd need to start the game up.

Oh laziness...do you know no end.

acosn:
I'd imagine that the 5$ price tag has a lot more to do with simple hosting fees. I'd genuinely wonder if charging only 1$ would cover the cost it takes to keep servers maintained for hosting the content for download.

Yeah, 5$ seems a bit much for just on civ, but it's still just five bucks. Hold off on going to eat out one night, or hold off on buying expensive drinks if you do. Problem solved.
s

And I agree, the AI needs some work. I'm going to scream if I see ghadi make another horde of elephant archers not because they're strong but because it's a colossal pain in the ass to fight them when literally every other tile in his territory has one.

Seriously! Gandhi has a huge boner for the elephants.

Everytime he says "I need room to expand" I see a sea of elephants wash over my lands. I still usually win but...my god.

Loonerinoes:
Hell yeah! The Mongols had forged the largest empire of all history, I was frankly dissapointed they weren't included in place of someone like say...the Songhai!

Alright, sure it didn't last longer than a single century, but still - that's no mean feat either heh.

Sorry to tell you this but the Mongols were only ever the second largest empire in history, beaten squarely by the British empire. God save the Queen!

This confuses me. On the one hand, lovely stuff, free things. On the other, that is a ridiculous price for such a small piece of content. Now stop working on new civs and fix the game!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here