Mortal Kombat Trailer Finally Explains Why Scorpion Hates Sub-Zero

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

The most recent trailer for the reboot of Mortal Kombat explains why Scorpion hates Sub-Zero's guts, but it's pretty standard revenge stuff.

You might think that there is some huge reveal to the recent trailer from NetherRealm Studios about their upcoming Mortal Kombat. I mean, the game is a retelling of the first three MK games after the thunder-god Raiden sends a message back to his former self. We will finally understand why Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Lizard all look similarly and why the undead Scorpion has it out for his blue counterpart. But really, it's just because Sub-Zero killed Scorpion and his family. Sorry, that's all the writers could come up with for this one. Dead family, revenge - ho-hum.

Perhaps I'm being wrongfully hard on the designers, but I think that I'm bound to be underwhelmed after seeing the awesome fan-made Mortal Kombat trailer. If the remnants of Midway haven't hired the guys who made that short film to write and create the cinematics for the new game, then the powers-that-be are doing the gaming world a great disservice.

Then again, maybe the filmmakers behind that film are working on a Mortal Kombat movie that doesn't suck. That would be OK, too, I guess.

I thought that the fact Sub-Zero killed Scorpion family was already known? Wasn't it mentioned in one of the movies, or am I mistaken? In any case, revenge is always a good enough reason to do that kind of thing to someone in my book. Though I wonder why Sub-Zero killed them all...

That isn't a reveal. The Revenge angle has been in place since the 90's

It always was a standard revenge story.

Also, my MK is incredibly rusty, but isn't it Reptile? Or is there a character named Lizard?

I swear my SNES game told me that...

Yeah...Scorpion's backstory isn't anything new, it just might not have been presented too well. I haven't played the multitude of old MK games, but most of the important story business can be skimmed off of Wikipedia.

There is a lot more detail to this well-known revenge story, but you have to read a lot to find it out...Wiki helps!

Kapol:
I thought that the fact Sub-Zero killed Scorpion family was already known? Wasn't it mentioned in one of the movies, or am I mistaken? In any case, revenge is always a good enough reason to do that kind of thing to someone in my book. Though I wonder why Sub-Zero killed them all...

I assume Sub-Zero is of a rival clan, and went to kill all those who were a part of Scorpion's clan.

What I don't understand is why Scorpion is always made out to be superior. They're equal, if not Sub-Zero always seems to have a better move set.

Dr_Pie:

Kapol:

I assume Sub-Zero is of a rival clan, and went to kill all those who were a part of Scorpion's clan.

They didn't agree on shirt color. One clan had to go.

Incorrect.

True story is, there was this ninja cocktail party right. And Scorpion (at that time Steve) told his friend Sub-Zero (Bobby) that he was gonna go in this nice little blue number. Since all ninjas at that time only for formal black it was his way of getting noticed.
Bobby being a little prick showed up 10 minutes before Steve and stole his big enterance.
He then flat out refused to change outfits and called Steve a liar.

For this Steve condemned his soul and started studying fire jutsu vowing that he will make Bobby burn in his precious blue outfit if its the last thing he does!

True story.

Although I loved the fan-made MK "What If" movie trailer, it really wasn't Mortal Kombat....just something that borrowed some loose themes from the real thing. That guy would definitely make a good MK movie though....but if it was missing the weird Outworld mysticism and supernatural stuff it wouldn't feel right.

And yeah, I've known about Scorpion/Su-Zeroe's back stories for ages, no big reveal here....

Old news...

Kapol:
I thought that the fact Sub-Zero killed Scorpion family was already known? Wasn't it mentioned in one of the movies, or am I mistaken?

I would swear sideways that it was actually shown in the first arcade game. They had little pop-up biographies of each character that would show up between the sample fights.

Unless I'm confusing it with a different game, of course. That's entirely possible. They all blend toegher after a while.

Also Bruce Willis is a ghost!

In other news, Darth Vader is Luke's father, Snape kills Dumbledore, and Rosebud was a sled.

Dr_Pie:

Kapol:

Well, here's my problem with that, if Sub-Zero could kill an entire clan by himself, then wouldn't his clan have defeated Scorpion's clan a long time ago? I mean, I know Sub-Zero is powerful, but taking down an entire clan isn't easy... maybe I'm just overthinking it, but it just seems a bit too awkward to me.

Anyone who paid attention to Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero (I know, it's hard to pay attention to that conjumbled mess) would know this.

Greg Tito:

The most recent trailer for the reboot of Mortal Kombat explains why Scorpion hates Sub-Zero's guts, but it's pretty standard revenge stuff.

You might think that there is some huge reveal to the recent trailer from NetherRealm Studios about their upcoming Mortal Kombat. I mean, the game is a retelling of the first three MK games after the thunder-god Raiden sends a message back to his former self. We will finally understand why Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Lizard all look similarly and why the undead Scorpion has it out for his blue counterpart. But really, it's just because Sub-Zero killed Scorpion and his family. Sorry, that's all the writers could come up with for this one. Dead family, revenge - ho-hum.

Perhaps I'm being wrongfully hard on the designers, but I think that I'm bound to be underwhelmed after seeing the awesome fan-made Mortal Kombat trailer. If the remnants of Midway haven't hired the guys who made that short film to write and create the cinematics for the new game, then the powers-that-be are doing the gaming world a great disservice.

Then again, maybe the filmmakers behind that film are working on a Mortal Kombat movie that doesn't suck. That would be OK, too, I guess.

Uh.. this has been known since the 90s

...That's it?

It almost looks like an intentionally bad youtube video using gameplay footage and the creator's own voice.

I don't know whether to be underwhelmed or just on par with the developers of Mortal Combat, considering that they haven't been known for making a great narrative.

Kapol:
Well, here's my problem with that, if Sub-Zero could kill an entire clan by himself, then wouldn't his clan have defeated Scorpion's clan a long time ago? I mean, I know Sub-Zero is powerful, but taking down an entire clan isn't easy... maybe I'm just overthinking it, but it just seems a bit too awkward to me.

Sub-Zero was hired by Quan Chi to steal a scroll from some monks. Scorpion was hired by the same dude to do the same job. They both ended up in the scroll room at the same time and fought to the death with Sub-Zero winning. Sub-Zero delivered the scroll to Quan Chi who repaid Sub-Zero's clan by helping them wipe out Scorpion's. Quan Chi then resurrected Scorpion as a wraith "for the lulz."

Scorpions and sub-zeros past have been known since the orignal games i am sure it was brought up in mortal kombat 2s endings

Yeah, we've known that for a while. It's kinda why Scorpion is one of the good guys in the first game.

That's like...the first thing you learn about them. Right before the fact that MK3 and after's Sub-Zero is the first one's younger brother, and Scorpion doesn't hate him as much.

That's great and everything, but to me, there will only ever be one storyline to Mortal Kombat: "One more victory, and our world is theirs." It's a tournament to decide who gets to rule Earth. That's the game. Everything else is filler.

dogstile:
What I don't understand is why Scorpion is always made out to be superior. They're equal, if not Sub-Zero always seems to have a better move set.

because

scorpion VS sub-zero!

now..which sounds better

Scorpion wins!

sub-zero wins!

it's the first..regardless of how wrong it is -.-
also
cant wait for the next MK <3, also this story has been around for a while..

Old news.

Sub-Zero's a beast, I guess I'm the only one who didn't know this (which is weird because I played all of the MK games (except for 4, but...well...y'know)?

Grilled Cheesus:
Incorrect.

True story is, there was this ninja cocktail party right. And Scorpion (at that time Steve) told his friend Sub-Zero (Bobby) that he was gonna go in this nice little blue number. Since all ninjas at that time only for formal black it was his way of getting noticed.
Bobby being a little prick showed up 10 minutes before Steve and stole his big enterance.
He then flat out refused to change outfits and called Steve a liar.

For this Steve condemned his soul and started studying fire jutsu vowing that he will make Bobby burn in his precious blue outfit if its the last thing he does!

True story.

I KNEW IT! God Bobby was always a little prick...

You got a chuckle from me as soon as the story started because you're humour is similar to a friend of mine. Have a toffee.

This seems so.... generic. Nothing really stands out here. Nothing at all. Story, gameplay, moves, they've all been done before and better. Maybe I just don't get the whole Mortal Kombat thing (I loved #2 back in the day but have never followed the franchise) but it seems to me this franchise may have out lived its self.

And also, Raiden has turned out to be.......THE THUNDERGOD HIMSELF! The WHOLE TIME! (mind explosion)

The Disk Thrower:

dogstile:

because

scorpion VS sub-zero!

now..which sounds better

Scorpion wins!

Sub-zero wins!

it's the first..regardless of how wrong it is -.-
also
cant wait for the next MK <3, also this story has been around for a while..

I disagree. I like Sub-zero, wins better.

Kapol:

your really going to trust the movies for canon info?

Also...Mortal Kombat is a fighting tournament! HOLY COW!

Didnt Quan Chi Kill Scorpions familly? I swear it was in Mk4

That was a pretty awful backstory. :/

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook