New Study Says Gamers Are Okay With 3D Glasses

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

New Study Says Gamers Are Okay With 3D Glasses

The waters have become a little muddier with the release of a new survey showing that 80 percent of gamers are okay with having to wear glasses in order to play games and watch movies in 3D.

A couple of weeks ago we told you about a survey that found that nearly two-thirds of console owners have a gross misunderstanding of how 3D works, believing that a firmware or software update is all that's required to make their equipment capable of displaying it. Even more, 83 percent, were unaware of glasses-free 3D technology on the horizon and nearly half said that glasses were the number-one reason they weren't interested in going 3D at all.

But now another study, this one conducted by the U-Decide Initiative, has been released that contradicts those findings, indicating that 80 percent of gamers say they're perfectly willing to wear glasses in order to experience videogames and Blu-ray movies in 3D. Without glasses, the figures rise to 92 and 91 percent respectively. 65 percent of respondents said they already own an HDTV, while 35 percent are looking to buy a 3D HDTV within the next two years.

The survey took in nearly 1200 respondents, 735 gamers that don't yet own 3D equipment and 434 "experienced stereoscopic 3D gamers" who do. The two groups were surveyed separately "to reflect their experience and unique perspectives" and while only the preliminary results have been released, the full report in November will cover a wide range of topics including the breakdown of PC and console gamers, amounts gamers are willing to spend on 3D hardware, obstacles preventing the purchase of 3D equipment and much more.

"If you are concerned about the impact Stereovision-3D is having on the gaming market, then you should check out U-Decide's latest findings, and consider becoming a supporting S3DGA [S-3D Gaming Alliance ] member," said Dr. Jon Peddie of Jon Peddie Research.

Meant To Be Seen is "the world's first and only stereoscopic 3D Certification and Advocacy group" for both producers and consumers of stereoscopic 3D technology. It is also the consumer arm of the S-3D Gaming Alliance, whose members include Panasonic, LG, EA, Blitz Games Studios and others. The U-Decide survey was "made possible" by the S3DGA, EA, Ubisoft, Blitz Games Studios, Steelseries, Panasonic, Computer Power User and Zalman.

But there's a big difference between being willing to wear glasses while you game, and being willing to fork over a couple hundred bucks apiece for them. So what's it all prove? Two things, I think: The 3D arena is still fraught with risk and statistics can be used to prove pretty much whatever you want them to.

via Eurogamer

uh...do we really want to do a straw poll here to check this claim?

I'll put a fiver that it's the other way around. Especially if I get to write the question.

A new study says I can stick my foot up the ass of a panda from twenty foot away. I swear to God, studies more often than not are just complete nonsense.

I tried the demo pair of 3D glasses at a Sony store once and those didn't bother me at all. Of course I wear a headset to small for me with no padding so I guess I really cant speak for the average customer/gamer :P

The_root_of_all_evil:

I'll put a fiver that it's the other way around. Especially if I get to write the question.

Let's do that. I claim BS on this study. 80%? Hell no. Never.

I'm not, I would lose those SO fast, and I'm sure i wouldn't be the only one!
I bet this study was funded be the 3dtv manufacturers.

Seriously, study something that's acctualy useful!

And i call Bullshit on this.

I have never had any problem with the glasses.
I actually have nothing against 3D. 3D is the future, and in a couple of years it'll be refined and affordable, like HD, and I will buy it and it'll be awesome.

Addendum; Some call bullshit on the test, and they might be right, but I simply don't see what's horrible about having glasses on.

I probably wouldn't be bothered by glasses, considering I wear a pair of normal glasses all the time.

Where's the desire to not want to watch 3D at all?

The_root_of_all_evil:

Just notice how "No glasses needed" always clears by atleast 11%

It's a fad, it depends on how many people you poll really. It's hard to makea claim on too few people.

Oh, I just checked out the site. They want you to pay money for seeing the full report, that includes their premisses and their testants. Obviously this is a hoax to try people from the industry to pay for their "study".

I can't think of any real scientist that would charge people that want to check if he is talking bullshit or not.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Indeed. Personally I can't stand 3D even without the damn things.

My problem is, how do I wear normal glasses and 3D glasses at the same time!? D=

Let's do an escapist poll and find out the truth then, shall we?

A study agrees with the forum majority, they decalre it as proof. A study disagrees, they declare it garbage. Unsurprising.

Let me guess where they got those numbers... facebook right? I can only imagine how many of those "gamers" only have farmville in their libraries.

Lord Mountbatten Reborn:
Where's the desire to not want to watch 3D at all?

I don't have a desire to watch shit in 3D. Play games, yes, but watch films? No, because a vast majority of films that utilise 3D either (a) add 3D as an afterthought, resulting in cheesy looking effects, or (b) build their film alround the idea of 3D...resulting in cheesy looking effects.

The only film to possibly use 3D well would be Avatar, though I can't comment on that because I haven't watched it. The rest quite haven't grasped that having shit fly at you doesn't equal a good film.

AC10:

Escapist poll != truth.
Honestly? I'm not surprised. Although the number is a bit high, in my opinion.

By 'Gamers' they mean causual gamers, and by poll, they mean 'asking random people off the street if they would play a 3d game'.

I HAVE SPOKEN.

Oh gee, imagine that, a group dedicated to getting 3D in everyone's home does a study that finds that, Glory Be! Everyone wants 3D!

I'll go with the independent agency's study over the interest group's study. But that's just me.

Delusibeta:

AC10:

Escapist poll != truth.

Well, if you want to poll a large sample of gamers then this is a pretty good place to do it.

Well, I guess I'd be an outlier to their study then, because I don't want to wear glasses. I don't ever want to have to physically wear something while playing a game. I don't watch 3D movies for that reason.

Did they ask how many of those gamers have friends irl would be playing with friends?

new survey is wrong. 3d is a gimmick, and a cheap, poor one at that. I will never by a 3d movie, or game, or tv, unless it is actually cheaper than it's 2d counterpart, and that is only because it is cheaper, not cuz it's 3d.

Not long ago, there was a poll about 3d on the escapist, it was something 74 percent against 3d, i think.

So one study says "83% of those surveyed said they believed that all 3D required glasses, while nearly half said that these glasses were the main reason why they wouldn't bother with 3D." Nearly half, so around 45% maybe?

That means that around 55% of a study that, in their own words, were "representative of the U.S. population and weighted to the U.S. Census," didn't feel that the glasses were the reason they didn't want/have 3D tech.

The other study says that 80% of gamers don't find the glasses to be the problem for games and movies.

The two studies used different demographics so of course its going to be different. It would make sense that more gamers would be used to the idea using odd accessories with their tech than the average person (I love the power glove. It's so bad).

These two studies proved nothing about why people aren't interested in 3D. The only thing they did prove is that people don't care too much about the glasses, and if this article is right about glasses-less 3D on the horizon, why does this really matter?

Resources are better spent elsewhere, like figuring out problems.

edit: fixed logical error

The_root_of_all_evil:

I just put out a thread in the Gaming Discussion: Link to thread.

Do I need special glasses to read that graph in the article? Because my human eyes are having trouble with it...

Is click-to-enlarge too much to ask for? =(

3D sounds ok... I mean, it's not as mind-blowing as they're trying to market it. It isn't like colour TV was when that first came out. But it's pretty cool.

My problem is it seems to mess with my eyes a bit. Less and less, though. Avatar was the best so far with that, but I still saw past the 3D sometimes and it really ruins the immersion you get in movies, and I presume games.

No-glasses 3D? Now that sounds cool. I really want to see the 3DS, for one. And imagine no-glasses displays on store windows. Instead of seeing a mannequin, you see a model walk out the window and follow you around, showing off the clothes.

In other new, a recent study has found that 90% of all studies are complete BULLSHIT.

This is just another "study" to add to the list. Think about it: it was most likely paid for by a company that wants to promote 3D. Do you honestly think they woul post results if they were negative? And just what defines a "gamer" to these people? My bet is the most gaming experience they have is nothing but Madden at the very best, and nothing but Farmville at the very worst.

They just have results like this so 3D will seem like "the next big sucessful trend" and everyone will hop on board the 3D bandwagon, boosting sales.

AC10:

Delusibeta:

AC10:

Escapist poll != truth.

Well, if you want to poll a large sample of gamers then this is a pretty good place to do it.

I doubt it. You'll be lucky to get 200 responses here. Which is pretty good for a forum, but you're still far from an accurate study.

That study is wrong, and idiotic.

They probably conducted it at a convention for 3D enthusiasts, because most people I know think 3D is a stupid gimmick that needs to die SOON.

New study means as much as a love letter written in dog shit

I don't care about the apparent 80%.
I sure as hell won't be wearing those things.
Nor do I think that a illusion of 3D will improve anything.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here