More Dreamcast Classics Coming to XBLA and PSN

Pages 1 2 NEXT

More Dreamcast Classics Coming to XBLA and PSN

Remastered versions of the Sega Dreamcast classics Space Channel 5 Part 2 and Sega Bass Fishing will be landing on the PlayStation Network and Xbox Live Arcade early next year.

Originally released in 1999, Sega Bass Fishing gave indoor outdoorsmen the opportunity to cast their lines into eight unique digital fishing holes, with 14 unique lures and realistic, variable weather conditions. But what really made it cool was the Sega Fishing Controller, a bizarre and rather tightly-focused peripheral modeled after, you guessed it, a fishing rod and reel.

And then there's Space Channel 5 Part 2, the 2001 title that follows the adventures of Ulala, a dancer and reporter from Space Channel 5, as she goes up against a nefarious group of ne'er-do-wells known as the Rhythm Rogues who have kidnapped thousands of people, including Space President Peace, and are forcing them to dance. Using the power of dance, Ulala must uncover the true plans of Rhythm Rogues leaders Purge and Shadow, and prevent them from creating the ultimate super-powerful dance control weapon!

If that sounds like fun to you, then we've got good news: Both games are coming soon to Xbox Live Arcade and the PlayStation Network. "We want to enable a new generation of players to experience some of the most celebrated titles our video game history has to offer," said Sega of America Vice President Haruki Satomi, "while at the same time appealing to our enthusiastic and much appreciated community of fans."

You might remember Space Channel 5 Part 2 as the game that featured none other than the King of Pop himself, Michael Jackson, in the role of Space Michael, the head of Space Channel 5. Or perhaps you recall it better as the game that led former Deee-Lite singer Lady Miss Kier to sue Sega over allegations that the character of Ulala was based on her, a move that blew up in her face when she lost the case and was ordered to pay Sega's legal fees to the tune of $608,000. Or maybe you just know it as the game with the guy who tried to take over the galaxy with a dance-control superweapon.

And you thought a controller shaped like a fishing rod was weird.

The remastered versions of Space Channel 5 Part 2 and Sega Bass Fishing are coming to XBLA and PSN in early 2011. For more information, just UP, DOWN, Chu Chu Chu yourself over to Sega.com.

You telling me that Bass fishing is more celebrated than the likes of Power Stone or Skies of Arcadia? Blasphemy!

And dangit, this article made me break my "666" post before halloween... good job sega.

Ha, I have good memories trying to kill my brain with a port of Space Channel 5 after a particularly tough exam a few years ago with a friend.

Glad to see the dreamcast is getting its games to come to light. Cue the classics - you know the ones I'm talking about!

Funnily enough I actually bought a Dreamcast for £6, which might roughly translate to the cost of one of these titles. I'll pass for now, the convenience is nice but I'll keep it old school and skip waiting for them to make games available on XBL/PSN.

cursedseishi:
You telling me that Bass fishing is more celebrated than the likes of Power Stone or Skies of Arcadia? Blasphemy!

My sentiments exactly!

Why is it taking these fools so long to give us Seaman?

Power Stone, Jet Set Radio, and Shemmu.
Like really, what more do you need?

I still have my PS2 copy of Space Channel Five Part 2, Its awesome.

Da Da Da Da Da...Chu Chu Chu!

FredTheUndead:
Why is it taking these fools so long to give us Seaman?

That's what she said.

cursedseishi:
And dangit, this article made me break my "666" post before halloween... good job sega.

Ouch man. Do you think you can make it to 1313 by then?

cursedseishi:

Well, Skies of Arcadia had a Director's Cut edition released for Gamecube, which is playable on the Wii, so maybe they think they wouldn't get many sales on the PS3/360.

Meh, I got my Rez ported, thats all I needed to be happy. I'll pass on the bass fishing.

Space Channel 5 Part 2 actually looks pretty fun.

No really, it does.

Cleril:
Space Channel 5 Part 2 actually looks pretty fun.

No really, it does.

And it was awesome.

Dreamcast games are just so radically insane and unique...
Speaking of which, Crazy Taxi comes next month. YAY!

AvsJoe:

Ouch man. Do you think you can make it to 1313 by then?

Hmmm, could try, it'll be a long shot though!

UltimatheChosen:

Well, Skies of Arcadia had a Director's Cut edition released for Gamecube, which is playable on the Wii, so maybe they think they wouldn't get many sales on the PS3/360.

Eh, trophy/achievements and remastered versions of Skies though? Who could say no to that! Not even Satan could deny it, even if you tried to sell him your soul to have him say otherwise.

Where's my Shenmue? Skies or Arcadia?

Hell they should just stick Phantasy Star Online up there just to fuck with FF14.

Cool.

I just hope this means that there is a chance for the original Marvel VS Capcom to be released.

Captain Commando X War Machine FTW!

Meh,

Neither of those titles hold any real interest for me. I'd also be surprised if those paticular games manage to pull in enough sales to keep the conversions coming if they are taking a more casual attitude towards releases.

It's sort of like PSN's "Japanese Imports" section, cool idea, but pointless if there aren't any of the games I want to actually play there.

Fishing titles always struck me as games that tend to wind up going direct to the bargain bin. "Space Channel 5" and it's sequel were interesting, but with the graphics being less stunning than they were at the time, and the development and refinement of rhythym based games since those titles, I'd be pretty surprised if tons of people would wind up jumping at the oppertunity to play, or re-play it.

Also when we're talking about games only 9 years old, I'm a bit wary of the whole "new generation" comment given current lifespans and such. 9 Years seems like a long time, and yes there are plenty of kids back then who are older now who never played those games, but at the same time I don't think the Dreamcast was quite that obscure or "ancient" to today's game playing generation. Yes, it's nearly a decade, but I don't think that means quite what it once did.

Of all the great games they could have chosen... Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1-3, Power Stone, Dead or Alive 2...

Who the hell is going to buy these games?

Give me Powerstone Wars or give me death!

cursedseishi:

UltimatheChosen:

Eh, trophy/achievements and remastered versions of Skies though? Who could say no to that! Not even Satan could deny it, even if you tried to sell him your soul to have him say otherwise.

Oh, I don't deny that it would sell.

But I can see how they would think it wouldn't.

AngelicSven:
Power Stone, Jet Set Radio, and Shemmu.
Like really, what more do you need?

This^

Oh boy, Bass Fishing!

I still have a Dreamcast. Looking for some places to get old discs.

Where is my Jet Set Grind (and Jet Set Radio Future for that matter) and Power Stones? I do not want Bass Fishing. No-one wants Bass Fishing.

I read this and was expecting news about Jet Grind Radio. I am disappointed in you Sega.

Isn't Michael Jackson in Space Channel 5? I remember finding that game incredibly annoying. Give me Pa-rappa the rapper any day!

Altogether now: "Kick punch it's all in the mind..."

Port Seaman, then we'll talk...

SPACE. CHANNEL. FIVE. PART 2?

YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAHHHH!

God, I love that game.

Couple that with the fact that I've never owned it due it being so goddamn expensive in the UK (it goes for like £60-£110).

I want this port. Like. NAO!

Oh joy! does this mean more old games to make scathing reviews about because they don't match up to modern standards even though they were made a decade ago?

[/dickhead mode]

In complete honesty I'm really just narked off that none of the Power Stone games are up there... Or even Psychic Force. I loved those games.

I also never got a chance to play Shenmue, I'd kinda like to.

I'd KILL for Phantasy Star Online.

No really, I would. Let me demonstrate.

*deep inhale*

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I love me some Space Channel 5 (and am incredibly badass at it), but I'd actually prefer Sega Marine Fishing. The Bass Fishing is fun, certainly, but you get to fill a huge aquarium in Marine Fishing, and the fish are more exotic. Superior title, IMO.

Now, just give me Jet Grind Radio, and we're set. Give me Jet Grind Radio AND Phantasy Star Online and I'll bake you cookies for a year.

Everyone asking for Shenmue...look, guys, I love it, too, but I think you're forgetting one key fact: The game wasn't actually all that fun. Gorgeous, yes, groundbreaking, certainly, but fun? Not so much.

Oh YUS! Space Channel 5 rocks, now gimme Shenmue, Skies of arcadia and Jet Set Radio and I'll love you guys forever.

Andy Chalk:
But what really made it cool was the Sega Fishing Controller, a bizarre and rather tightly-focused peripheral modeled after, you guessed it, a fishing rod and reel.

i dont see why it should be bizarre since xbox360, wii and PS3 all have at least one fishing rod shaped controller...

Cut to the chase SEGA. I won't be buying any of the others until we get them.

Oh wheee. Space Channel 5 is coming to PSN.
Any idea whether they are going to be HD or simply ports?

2010 and Sega is making the most they have in years, lol.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here