Valve Pays Royalties for Fan-Created Items in TF2

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Valve Pays Royalties for Fan-Created Items in TF2

Valve paid anywhere from $39-$47,000 to each of the five creators of content on its Team Fortress 2 store.

The Mann Co. store has only been open a few weeks, selling in-game items to players of Team Fortress 2. In addition to items made by Valve designers, the creations of five community members were available in the store and Valve said that they would pay royalties to the creators. The first checks just went out, and Rob Laro, Shawn Spetch, Steven Skidmore, Spencer Kern, and Shaylyn Hamm (that's a lot of "S" names) received amounts that ranged from $39,000 to $47,000. Keep in mind folks, that's after just two weeks! These creative individuals are seriously being rewarded for their ingenuity and hard work. I can only imagine that Valve microtransaction business model is working, too.

"At a time when content creators are struggling with changing markets and evolving technologies, the Steam community is sending a clear message with these checks," said Gabe Newell, head of Valve. "Platforms that enable this kind of peer-to-peer exchange of virtual goods and services are going to be enthusiastically received. They create an inherently greater efficiency in connecting creators and consumers."

"It's astounding that so many people want to purchase the items that came out of the community," said Kern, one of the content creators. "The response exceeded my wildest expectations. There really is no doubt at this point that there's a huge demand for community-created content in TF2 and, hopefully, more games will start to tap into this demand."

The money was originally going to go to the creators' PayPal accounts but the large piles of money quickly gummed up the system. Other methods of payment were worked out, but at least two of the creators flew to Seattle to get their checks in person.

It must have been pretty awesome to go to the Valve headquarters and personally get your check from Mr. Newell. Kudos!

Holy...

That's gonna create a LOT of problems second time around, if there is a second. There'll be multiple calls of plagiarism etc.

Especially as there's allegedly a new polycount pack on the way out to match the new game mode.

Oh...Maybe I shouldn't have said that yet...*cloaks*

This is why I need to hop back on that autodesk tutorials. My god, that is wonderful.

So i guess they don't really need jobs anymore then.

I'm happy for the creators, but $20 for a hat is insane. Plus I still despise that new knife

Would any other company pay their customers for making custom content?

Not that I can think of! Kudos to Valve!

Holy crap, I need to learn how to make stuff and try and get it in that store.

Fr]anc[is:
I'm happy for the creators, but $20 for a hat is insane. Plus I still despise that new knife

Are you kidding me. The new knife is the best weapon out of the entire update. I rock so much with it, while I used to suck with the old knife.

Jeez, that's a lot of dough. Seriously. If you apply that to a forty hour work week, the person who walked away with the $37,000 check made $462.50 an hour.

That amount of cash is just obscene. And I am very envious of these people.

This should motivate a lot of people with good ideas to finally make these ideas into a reality. Better items more frequently. Cool.

Fr]anc[is:

Like wise. As for the knife, I think it's a good idea with a steep price. But I found mine, so I can't complain.

Soylent Bacon:
This should motivate a lot of people with good ideas to finally make these ideas into a reality. Better items more frequently. Cool.

What about the people with absolutely no ideas? Where does that leave them? In the gutter, playing with all these amazing items and knowing what could have been, that's where... wow, that was kinda depressing. I need some friggin sleep.

Fr]anc[is:

I second the notion. When I saw the price for the hats, I thought to myself: It's just a hat, and doesn't do much except complete a set. they can eat it, and I'll keep my $20 a piece, thank you.

And, on the flip side, I've managed to craft near everything else myself. Just a few bits I'm missing. So, that's even more cash saved.

Lol, was playing this like five seconds ago.

oreopizza47:

Soylent Bacon:

What about the people with absolutely no ideas? Where does that leave them? In the gutter, playing with all these amazing items and knowing what could have been, that's where... wow, that was kinda depressing. I need some friggin sleep.

I'm one of those people with no ideas, and I'm not bothered by this. Not everyone can expect to create something. Most of us won't have our own item in the TF2 universe, including some people who submit their work, since not every community item is added to the game by Valve.

Fucking holy shit! That would pay off my student loan nearly twice over!

Gabe! Spend your budget on Episode 3 and stop wasting it all on being aggressively and publicly good to your customers!

You already have the largest cult following of any developer. There's no need to make it stronger.

Oh wait... they were trying to directly counteract the claims that microtransactions = sell-out. Fine. You know what, Gabe? Just keep doing that. Silence the irrational hatred.

This is why I am, and always will be, a Valve fanboi. Sure their development time can be awfully slow and confusing at times, but you can always rely on Valve to release quality products and take care of their fans and customers. All while innovating on both game and business fronts; its no coincidence that Steam is one of, if not THE, best digital distribution services.

Jesus, I know what I'm doing once my exams are finished.

I know they said they would do this but its good to hear they followed through with it.

This is why I love VALVe.

<3

I'm so freaking jealous. I wish I had the time to learn to do what these guys have done. That being said, I am happy for them. It's always nice to see people being awarded for their creativity.

Once again,Valve show that they are the best devs on the planet.

I feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Valve is an awesome developer. They actually care about their customers unlike 90% of developers out there that only care about one single thing - money. I'm not delusional though. I know Valve does it for the money too, but not just for the money. They understand their customers, they know that they wont go broke if they give away free stuff. It will increase their popularity and gain them more customers. That's something Kotick can never comprehend. Because he's an idiot.

Fortunately I can still type with my jaw on the floor, but it is distracting and reminding me I need to vacuum.
But much as I love Valve I have to wonder if this might just turn into a gamebreaker for TF2. I think someone else is seeing this, too.

Huh. I need to start buying more Valve games. This sort of behavior should be encouraged. Anyone got any suggestions? I only play single player and already have HL2 and Portal.

Sucks for the creators of the OTHER community items. The one's that came before this.

Stoic raptor:

Fr]anc[is:

Are you kidding me. The new knife is the best weapon out of the entire update. I rock so much with it, while I used to suck with the old knife.

Exactly my point, you shapeshifting rat

Games Industry to Valve: Please Stop Being Awesome, You're Making the Rest of Us Look Bad.

I have a sort of Deja Vu about this. While being handled a bit differantly I can't help but feel we've been here before with "Second Life", and that didn't end all that well.

Still, I am happy for those who got the checks, and I hope Valve employees have some standing prescriptions for "use as needed" painkillers because with the upcoming headaches I think they are going to need them. The inevitable Plagerism battles someone mentioned only being the tip of the iceberg here I believe.

Wow, congrats to the modders that got in on this, and bravo to Valve for supporting it. It seems a good step toward massive-content games powered by the communities they're built for.

This situation has got me thinking. I'd love to see this kind of treatment get picked up more often and on a larger scale.

Tharwen:
Oh wait... they were trying to directly counteract the claims that microtransactions = sell-out. Fine. You know what, Gabe? Just keep doing that. Silence the irrational hatred.

Doesn't change the fact that they changed TF2 into a freemium game. Silence the irrational hatred by letting me trade in games on Steam, so I can get rid of TF2.

so I can get rid of TF2

Fuck, typing those words made me sad. But TF2 is utterly ruined by the Mannconomy update. Is there a way to unpatch a Steam game and play older versions of it?

I still don't trust Valve. They have started to close entire Steam accounts due to flimsy accusations of scamming in TF2. Frankly, i don't want to play TF2 anymore, and rewarding the select few with huge amounts of cash for making these items is hardly an effective remedy.

Kollega:
I still don't trust Valve. They have started to close entire Steam accounts due to flimsy accusations of scamming in TF2. Frankly, i don't want to play TF2 anymore, and rewarding the select few with huge amounts of cash for making these items is hardly an effective remedy.

Chamale:

Fuck, typing those words made me sad. But TF2 is utterly ruined by the Mannconomy update. Is there a way to unpatch a Steam game and play older versions of it?

Guys...take a sense of perspective here. One guy has his account looked at because of an abuse of the report button and you're accusing them of selling out? Valve are known for trying new things, and if you want TF2 vanilla - there's enough servers that support it.

Simply vowing never to trust a company for one thing you don't quite agree with is slightly nuts, don't you think?

1) Holy cow, Valve's giving away (approximately) $200,000 in royalties. I can't think of any other company to do that.
2) Holy cow, if $200,000 (approximately) is in royalties, how much money is Valve making from the store as a whole? They must be making a mint.

You know reading a story about people doing the right thing without being forced to do so for once just gives me the warm and fuzzies.

Most other companies would have pulled some crap about EUAs or some other legalise and claimed that because it was made for their game they owned the content and didn't have to pay anything; but not valve, they didn't need to be sued, or even threatened, they did the right thing. That's integrity and intelligence (it's smart to pay these people, because it gives good press, the old adage about "any press" is dead) for you, something sadly lacking in today's business world.

It's doubly cool because I doubt the people who made the content ever expected to see money for it, they just made it for their own personal reasons, and now they are getting "new car" / "half what's owning on my house" type cheques.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here