Valve Pays Royalties for Fan-Created Items in TF2

Pages PREV 1 2

This kinda sounds more like an article covering the idiocy of "microtransaction" consumers, that apparently paid well over a million $ (assuming their cut is somewhere around 10-20%... maybe even less) for a few item models they probably spent a few (maybe a few dozen) hours on... it makes me literally lol

"At a time when content creators are struggling with changing markets and evolving technologies, the Steam community is sending a clear message with these checks,"

"There really is no doubt at this point that there's a huge demand for community-created content in TF2 and, hopefully, more games will start to tap into this demand."

And these quotes make me facepalm myself. Thanks to all the people out there paving the way towards getting clothing, ranks or unlockable weapons only with a bill in the near future...

Dexter111:
This kinda sounds more like an article covering the idiocy of "microtransaction" consumers, that apparently paid well over a million $ (assuming their cut is somewhere around 10-20%... maybe even less) for a few item models they probably spent a few (maybe a few dozen) hours on... it makes me literally lol

"At a time when content creators are struggling with changing markets and evolving technologies, the Steam community is sending a clear message with these checks,"

"There really is no doubt at this point that there's a huge demand for community-created content in TF2 and, hopefully, more games will start to tap into this demand."

And these quotes make me facepalm myself. Thanks to all the people out there paving the way towards getting clothing, ranks or unlockable weapons only with a bill in the near future...

I agree, we already know what Battlefield 3 will be like...

The_root_of_all_evil:

Chamale:

Fuck, typing those words made me sad. But TF2 is utterly ruined by the Mannconomy update. Is there a way to unpatch a Steam game and play older versions of it?

Guys...take a sense of perspective here. One guy has his account looked at because of an abuse of the report button and you're accusing them of selling out? Valve are known for trying new things, and if you want TF2 vanilla - there's enough servers that support it.

Simply vowing never to trust a company for one thing you don't quite agree with is slightly nuts, don't you think?

I never said that at all. I said that making it freemium has ruined TF2. I still love Valve, even though they made a terrible decision. I wish Valve would give me a refund for TF2 after making such a significant change, but I'll keep supporting the company even if they're less than perfect.

Chamale:
I said that making it freemium has ruined TF2.

I'm just trying to get why you think that. I've not spent a dime/penny and I'm still having as much fun.

Just don't get the "ITS RUINED" idea.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Chamale:
I said that making it freemium has ruined TF2.

I'm just trying to get why you think that. I've not spent a dime/penny and I'm still having as much fun.

Just don't get the "ITS RUINED" idea.

It's a principle I have, that no PC game should be freemium. I've played games that added this "feature", and it ALWAYS ended badly. A few people made money, while the fandom was torn apart by arguments over the new equipment that can be easily unlocked for free. I've seen this situation before. I didn't want to watch it happen in TF2 (and it WILL happen, unless the fandom can smoothly split up right now), so I got out of the game.

Chamale:
I didn't want to watch it happen in TF2 (and it WILL happen, unless the fandom can smoothly split up right now), so I got out of the game.

Man, the TF2 fandom argues about whether the Pyro is a girl or not. That's just what they do.

I've not seen any drop in the numbers yet.

If you don't want to play, I won't force you - but I wouldn't want someone to miss something just because they're concerned about how things might work out.

The_root_of_all_evil:
If you don't want to play, I won't force you - but I wouldn't want someone to miss something just because they're concerned about how things might work out.

At this point, I'm opposed to freemium on general principle. I won't play a freemium game, even if it's good. I want people to be on a level playing field.

Jeez, that's an insane amount of money for a couple of weeks spent modelling, I'm sure there are full time staff at other game devs that make way less than that.

Actually, this whole system actually reminds me a lot of the "app store" way of doing things that seems to be springing up everywhere atm.

The_root_of_all_evil:
Holy...

That's gonna create a LOT of problems second time around, if there is a second. There'll be multiple calls of plagiarism etc.

Especially as there's allegedly a new polycount pack on the way out to match the new game mode.

Oh...Maybe I shouldn't have said that yet...*cloaks*

You and me both.

Come the next community contest, there's going to be a shitstorm brewing...

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here