The Week in Review - Disappointment, Denial of Service and David Jaffe

The Week in Review - Disappointment, Denial of Service and David Jaffe

In this week's edition, it's bad news for Professor Layton and Phoenix Wright fans and Gene Simmons picks a fight with the internet.

David Jaffe Plays the Killjoy

The ESA has been mobilizing gamers across the US against the California law that would make it illegal to sell a mature rated videogame to a minor. But God of War creator David Jaffe thinks that nothing the ESA does will make a difference, no matter how many people they get behind them. Writing on Twitter, he said that the Supreme Court wasn't a democracy where people had a say in what laws it enacted, and anyone who thought that they could sway the court was naïve. (Link)

MineCraft Pounded by Denial of Service Attack

Someone, or a group of someones, with an axe to grind against MineCraft creator Markus Persson took down the MineCraft site with a dedicated denial of service attack, effectively preventing anyone from playing the game online. A group claimed responsibility for the attack, saying that it was just a taste of what might happen if Persson didn't start releasing updates at a pace they found satisfactory. The veracity of the groups claims can't be verified, but let's face it, stranger things have happened on the internet. (Link)

Pointing Investigators Staying in Japan

The news that Professor Layton would be teaming up with Phoenix Wright got a lot of people very excited. That is until Capcom went and spoiled it all by saying that the crossover game was only coming out in Japan. All is not lost however, as Capcom says that if Western fans show enough support for the idea, it will consider releasing the game outside of Japan. Now, if you'll excuse me for just a moment, I need to send a couple of hundred emails to Capcom. (Link)

KISS Boss Battles Anonymous

Gene Simmons managed to raise the ire of Anonymous recently when he said that musicians should sue anyone and everyone who downloaded even one of the musician's songs. Anonymous responded with a DDoS attack against Simmon's site, pausing just long for Simmons to poke his head above ground and provoke the group some more. Anonymous then started redirecting visitors to Simmon's site to either the Pirate Bay or a cybersquatting search site. Simmons seems to have regained control of the site for now, but who knows when he'll poke the hornets' nest again. (Link)

Super-Considerate Thief Returns Stolen Data

A Swedish Professor had his laptop stolen when he left his bag unattended in his apartment building's stairwell for a few minutes. While obviously upset about losing his stuff, he was more concerned about his lost data, which included a meticulously documented calendar that stretched back more than ten years. The thief returned most of the professor's belongings, but kept the laptop and the professor assumed his data when gone forever. Until, that is, he received a USB stick containing all his documents and personal files in the mail. The Professor said it had given him "hope for humanity." (Link)

David Jaffe has gotten under the escapists skin obviously... The Guy is right IMO. I guess you think he is wrong?

Bretty:
David Jaffe has gotten under the escapists skin obviously... The Guy is right IMO. I guess you think he is wrong?

Agreed. Although I think its funny when people criticize this generation as "apathetic" then completely shut it down when it tries to do something...

Jaffe's right though. The court judges are mostly old farts who do what they personally think is the right idea because that is exactly why they were appointed to the job. If the were elected they would be facilitators of public will but that's not how it works...

I wish all thieves where like that...

Well the world was destroyed in hell fire, so I would say it's a pretty good week...
and I'm absolutely ecstatic about Professor Layton Vs. Ace Attorney...<.<

Don't mind me, I'm just here to make sure I haven't missed anything.

Yup, minecraft "fans" DDoSing their own game, considerate criminals... the world's still insane.

I'm waiting for Chaim to make his move. This should be entertaining.

imnotparanoid:
I wish all thieves where like that...

Or better yet, not thieving. I know I'm stating the obvious. but the fact that we're a society that cannot leave an unattended bag for fear it will vanish says a lot about us. Pity, that.

Bretty:

The problem here is that Jaffe doesn't understand what the ESA is doing. The ESA isn't getting people riled up and telling them to try and influence the supreme court. It's the Video Game VOTERS Network, fer crissakes. It's about getting people ready to vote based on their opinions about games, not getting them to do something with the court. It is somewhat pointless (not entirely so, but much more so than if this was a bill before congress) to try and change the mind of the supreme court over this, but that's not what the ESA is really doing. They're trying to get people mobilized so that IF the supreme court doesn't rule our way there's already a lot of support ready to oppose any laws that pop up. The ruling can't create a new law regulating games, it can only say "it is now constitutionally okay to make laws regulating games," so any new regulations will have to go through either state or federal legislatures (except for in California, where a ruling might actually reinstate such a law that is the specific subject of the case at hand), and legislatures are places where votes DO matter. So the efforts of the ESA are not pointless, they're just not doing what Jaffe apparently thinks they're doing.

hitheremynameisbob:

Bretty:

The problem here is that Jaffe doesn't understand what the ESA is doing. The ESA isn't getting people riled up and telling them to try and influence the supreme court. It's the Video Game VOTERS Network, fer crissakes. It's about getting people ready to vote based on their opinions about games, not getting them to do something with the court. It is somewhat pointless (not entirely so, but much more so than if this was a bill before congress) to try and change the mind of the supreme court over this, but that's not what the ESA is really doing. They're trying to get people mobilized so that IF the supreme court doesn't rule our way there's already a lot of support ready to oppose any laws that pop up. The ruling can't create a new law regulating games, it can only say "it is now constitutionally okay to make laws regulating games," so any new regulations will have to go through either state or federal legislatures (except for in California, where a ruling might actually reinstate such a law that is the specific subject of the case at hand), and legislatures are places where votes DO matter. So the efforts of the ESA are not pointless, they're just not doing what Jaffe apparently thinks they're doing.

For me, and I am probably wrong here, this is no different from online petitions. We are a minority. in a Democracy a minority will only win if they are VERY vocal and lets face it we are pretty apathetic..

I think that no matter the ruling we will have no sway at all on what happens. The only entities in a Capitalistic Democracy that will matter here is business and which side they choose. But isn't the state pretty broke right now? That immediately tells me that unless the foresee being able to get revenue through penalties they just cant afford a new law.

David Jaffe is right and I find myself siding very much Simmons on this. I think piracy is one of the worst things to arise from the information age (I know it went on before but never has it been so easy), and we need to takes steps to stop it. I also think that Anonymous has gotten far too power crazy, and we need to stop living in fear that every time we dare to mention them they might descend and destroy your websites and your computers.

If Gene Simmons made a comment like that on television, and a group of people stormed into record shops across the world and smashed or stole every Gene Simmons album they'd be hunted down and arrested, and there is no reason that the internet and supposed 'anonymity' should make people feel like they are above the law.

Simmons really pissed me off.

He highlighted exactly what was wrong with the music industry, which is the fact that he thinks his music is worth any kind of money. But more importantly music shouldn't be for money anyway, otherwise it just attracts talentless businessmen/women rather than people who actually love music.

Yay for honor among theifs...

hitheremynameisbob:

Bretty:

I understood, based on their own statements when they announced the initiative, that the ECA's intention was to use the petition signatures to somehow bolster their amicus brief. It does appear that they're doing precisely what Jaffe thinks they're doing. And, in my opinion and in agreement with Mr. Jaffe, pointlessly so -- unless the "petition" (which also encourages signing up for an ECA membership) is less about bolster and more about recruitment. In which case and from the ECA's perspective -- given what I must assume to be difficulty recruiting new members in the aftermath of the I Can't Easily Cancel My ECA Membership fiasco -- it makes perfect sense.

MelasZepheos:
David Jaffe is right and I find myself siding very much Simmons on this. I think piracy is one of the worst things to arise from the information age (I know it went on before but never has it been so easy), and we need to takes steps to stop it. I also think that Anonymous has gotten far too power crazy, and we need to stop living in fear that every time we dare to mention them they might descend and destroy your websites and your computers.

If Gene Simmons made a comment like that on television, and a group of people stormed into record shops across the world and smashed or stole every Gene Simmons album they'd be hunted down and arrested, and there is no reason that the internet and supposed 'anonymity' should make people feel like they are above the law.

Steps on stopping online piracy well fuck us consumers over. For all the bull shit corporations try to fuck us over, especially one as vicious as the music industry I'll argue they have it coming. I agree that logically it does make sense that a musician should get money for his work but you know what? He's already rich, so what the hell is he crying about? I agree that downloading entire albums is wrong but at the same time we're kicking our selves in the balls and letting the corporate bullies in, they'll be even fucking worse with copyright laws.

Even fucking worse.

Hence because of that I agree to piracy completely. When a corporation pushes their weight around they deserve to be punished. Sure, it sounds nice and dandy at first to have more laws against piracy, but soon enough these laws will be abused. As much as I believe downloading albums is bull shit I've also had some friends introduce me to some obscure songs from artists I've never even heard of through MSN.

I've learned of great Australian bands through Australian friends and I'm afraid it's too hard for them to just come on over and lend me the CD for a week.

Downloading just one measly song on MSN has let me open my eyes and ears to quite a few new bands and I look forward to buying their albums - maybe even through seeing them live - And just like I said, if we start stamping in laws corporations will find ways to abuse it and ultimately they'll be hurting them selves by this point.

Through me downloading one new song from a friend over seas I've introduced the band to even more people and ultimately letting a band be more known is a greater good. There'll be friends who won't like the band and there'll be friends that'll download their entire albums, but at the same time I'm sure there'll be friends buying entire albums just like me.

Besides, he gets his money from live shows.

lSHaDoW-FoXl:

MelasZepheos:

Steps on stopping online piracy well fuck us consumers over. For all the bull shit corporations try to fuck us over, especially one as vicious as the music industry I'll argue they have it coming. I agree that logically it does make sense that a musician should get money for his work but you know what? He's already rich, so what the hell is he crying about? I agree that downloading entire albums is wrong but at the same time we're kicking our selves in the balls and letting the corporate bullies in, they'll be even fucking worse with copyright laws.

Even fucking worse.

Hence because of that I agree to piracy completely. When a corporation pushes their weight around they deserve to be punished. Sure, it sounds nice and dandy at first to have more laws against piracy, but soon enough these laws will be abused. As much as I believe downloading albums is bull shit I've also had some friends introduce me to some obscure songs from artists I've never even heard of through MSN.

I've learned of great Australian bands through Australian friends and I'm afraid it's too hard for them to just come on over and lend me the CD for a week.

Downloading just one measly song on MSN has let me open my eyes and ears to quite a few new bands and I look forward to buying their albums - maybe even through seeing them live - And just like I said, if we start stamping in laws corporations will find ways to abuse it and ultimately they'll be hurting them selves by this point.

Through me downloading one new song from a friend over seas I've introduced the band to even more people and ultimately letting a band be more known is a greater good. There'll be friends who won't like the band and there'll be friends that'll download their entire albums, but at the same time I'm sure there'll be friends buying entire albums just like me.

Besides, he gets his money from live shows.

I've heard all kinds of justifications for being a thief and I gotta tell ya: yours is about the weakest one I've ever heard.

So let's get this straight. When this DDoS attack first cropped up and people thought it was because some spoiled fans were doing it to force Minecraft's creator to release more updates, some people were like, "Nah, we don't know that" even though that was the most likely motive. And then some of them then went to ramble on about how Minecraft needs to release more updates. Right. But now we know that this was, in fact, the motive for the DDoS attack.

If any of you haxxor geniuses are reading this, can I ask you something? Are you stupid? Did the doctor drop you on your head when you were born? Eat too much paint as a child? Because what you've done will divert the creator's attention AWAY from releasing updates. What did you think would happen, you morons? Also...

That's vigilantism, pure and simple, and for what? A corporation trying to stop people from stealing their goods? Oh, no! Well, we better REALLY steal their stuff this time, that'll show them, right? That kind of thinking is for sociopaths, and anyway, it's just a cover for the real motive for illegally downloading just about any entertainment product: Greed. Get a grip on yourselves, pirates. You're not heroes for doing what you do. You're just parasites. And if you don't want harsh anti-piracy laws to be passed which you fear will be abused, here's a brilliant idea: STOP PIRATING.

RDubayoo:

Snip!

That's vigilantism, pure and simple, and for what? A corporation trying to stop people from stealing their goods? Oh, no! Well, we better REALLY steal their stuff this time, that'll show them, right? That kind of thinking is for sociopaths, and anyway, it's just a cover for the real motive for illegally downloading just about any entertainment product: Greed. Get a grip on yourselves, pirates. You're not heroes for doing what you do. You're just parasites. And if you don't want harsh anti-piracy laws to be passed which you fear will be abused, here's a brilliant idea: STOP PIRATING.

Weird, it never said you quoted me. Firstly, pirates are awesome. (What? It's a cool title to have!) And secondly, I don't actually pirate. 'Course it's easy to assume that and of course I might just be a bull shitter. But given that I'm a person you'll never meet in a place you'll probably never visit I don't really think I have to lie about who I am. That said . . .

I'm just a stereotypical liberal, the type that automatically considers a corporation in the wrong six times out of ten. Or if you may, the type where they'll find reasons to lash out at a corporation even when they aren't in the wrong.

Of course It sounds logical to try and stop people from stealing your product, but really, lets not act like these people are suffering major financial losses to the point they have to sell their own personal possessions for a single loaf of bread. A lot of the time these poor, poor businesses practically pirate as well.

*This very website has an article on it, actually.*

They always abuse copy right laws and instead of just accepting that thieves exist they go bat shit crazy and make the rest of us suffer just because they can't tolerate a few of their toys being stolen from them.

And more and more I see these annoying ads on how pirating is wrong - this insults my intelligence quite a bit. These twats seem to think a simple ad will magically stop people from stealing and from these ads I'm given the impression that these corporations think we're mentally retarded. Any person with a shred of intelligence knows we're guided by our own moral compass and that generally telling us 'stealing is wrong' is completely useless. Those of us that don't want to steal won't steal and those of us that do will. By mounting ads telling us 'piracy is wrong.'They're really only insulting us that don't do it.

You can do all you want to try and stop pirating but really, the people that suffers the most out of these stupid ordeals are the consumers. Seriously, the last thing we ever want is laws put up against pirating because these laws, just like copyright laws, will be abused up the ass. And each time I have a corporation breathing down my back telling me that I 'should buy their product because stealing is wrong' it really only reinforces me to break off the leash and actually start pirating.

The honest truth is I won't even say stealing is wrong. I'd consider it more of a certain trade. Either you can get a nice product that actually functions or you can go ahead and roll the dice online and probably get a few fifteen viruses, sounds fair to me! You get what you pay for and if corporations were smart they'd reinforce this point of view.

And yeah, that's one reason why I don't actually pirate, (besides me being completely inept with computers)it's not because of the bull shit 'stealing is wrong' but more of because I prefer quality in what I acquire.

I almost agreed with you on some points but once you said 'greed' that's when I got pissed off and decided to write a reply with over five paragraphs. I won't make this reply too much longer but I'll say this: When you're supporting a corporations side in any argument, never say the side opposing the corporation is 'greedy' unless your practicing stand up.

It's easy to say 'if you don't want harsher laws bla bla bla stop pirating!' But what I'm bitching about is on how pirates won't stop, corporations will continue freaking out, and these harsher laws will end up involving the consumers a tad bit. Just as easily as we can argue that the pirates should be bitched about for ruining the fun for everyone I'll argue ten times more that the corporations should respect us consumers a bit more. And a final time I will say that if harsher laws are implanted you my swell say good bye to the internet.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here