Microsoft vs. Nintendo: The Battle for the Basement

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Microsoft vs. Nintendo: The Battle for the Basement

Nintendo is still the Big Bad Dog on Greenpeace's most recent Guide to Greener Electronics, but Microsoft is coming on strong and looks ready to take a shot at the title

It will be three years in November since Nintendo set a low-water mark by becoming the first company ever to score a flat zero on the Greenpeace Guide to Greener Eletronics. It's been last-place finishes ever since for the House That Mario Built, but while it's been slowly creeping up the basement steps, Microsoft has been stumbling down them.

Nintendo is still dead last on the list with a score of 1.8 out of ten, which is horrible no matter how you cut it but a definite step up from its January mark of 1.4/10 and a dramatic improvement over the "pitiful" 0.8/10 it racked up in April 2009. The company earned points for banning phthalates, "monitoring the use of antimony and beryllium" and using PVC-free internal wiring in its consoles. "E-waste criteria," however, remains its Achilles' heel and it also took a knock for increasing greenhouse gas emissions despite a commitment to cutting them.

Microsoft comes in at a very close second-to-last finish with a score of 1.9 out of ten, down from 2.4 in January '10 and 2.7 in April '09. The company actually put together a (relatively) respectable mark of 2.9, but then lost a full point for backtracking on a commitment to phase out BFRs and PVCs by the end of 2010. BFRs and phthalates are now scheduled to be gone by the end of 2012, while the PVCs no longer have a clear date for elimination, a delay which did not impress the folks at Greenpeace.

Sony remains way out in front of its console-making competitors with a score of 5.1 out ten, although it's mired in the middle of the pack overall, sharing sixth place with Panasonic and Motorola. Sony, of course, brings a lot more to the table than just game consoles, but scores well for having models of Vaio PCs, video recoders, digital cameras, portable media players and other equipment that are partially free of BFRs and PVCs. The company also gets a thumbs-up for its use of post-consumer recycled plastics in various products.

It's a bit of an ugly scene for console makers, but scoring is always harsh in reports like this. It's not about congratulating companies for a job well done, after all, but reminding them, and consumers, that they can do more. Even the number one company on the list, Nokia, only came away with a 7.5 out of ten. Will this report keep anyone from picking up a Wii or a 360 over the holidays? Probably not. But it's a worthwhile note: You can do more, guys. So do more.

As I recall, Nintendo got their low rating because they chose not to disclose their recycling plans to Greenpeace.

Companies dont care about the environment as long as they keep making a nice clean profit

JediMB:
As I recall, Nintendo got their low rating because they chose not to disclose their recycling plans to Greenpeace.

What does that tell you though?
If they had nothing to hide then they would have disclosed that information

My Xbox self immolated and last time I checked, burning plastic isn't good for the atmosphere
No wonder M$ are so far down the list
Couple that with the amount the machines heat up. Thats wasted energy right there (science taught me something)

Greenpeace is a terrorist organization according to our own government. (Or so I keep being told. It seems odd that they aren't getting shipped off to Gitmo if it's true.) Why does anyone care what they think? It's not like they're the only environmental organization in the world. I'd like to see what other groups think.

I wonder if nintendo will fix this by offering a green wii!

I know i might be rational, but why should we give a fuck? This doesn't affect me or anyone else I know who buys videogames, we don't suddenly rid ourselves of the products just because green peace thinks their bad. This doesn't matter at all.

I don't think you're being rational at all, actually.

herp

You're right. I can do more to ignore these greenpeace dickheads.

Apple not being on top is a bit ironic to me, considering their fanbase.

I am certain Microsoft and Nintendo share my exact opinion upon this news. Such that it is a complete waste of time and means essentially nothing. :P

Let me guess, the only way to reach 10 is simply by sponsoring greenfarce?

Who really cares about this?

Oh...

well who besides Al Gore cares about this?

Asehujiko:
Let me guess, the only way to reach 10 is simply by sponsoring greenfarce?

More likely that the only way to get a 10 is to stop any and all manufacturing whatsoever.

Why do we care what a bunch of psychotic eco terrorists think?

Lot of hurt butts in this thread.

Did they use Microsoft/Apple manufactured computers to create the website, write the rating and create the fancy graphics?

CTU_Loscombe:

JediMB:

Or they don't see a point in revealing such information just to get a higher ranking on a potentially arbitrary scale that don't mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things.

But even if not, just because they're hiding something doesn't mean what they're hiding is automatically bad.

Are we going to throw out our Wiis or 360s? Don't think so, so why does it matter what they're made of?

CTU_Loscombe:

JediMB:

My Xbox self immolated and last time I checked, burning plastic isn't good for the atmosphere
No wonder M$ are so far down the list
Couple that with the amount the machines heat up. Thats wasted energy right there (science taught me something)

So every person who has ever run from a cop is guilty of a crime, no? Well, besides the running from a cop part. Last I checked, that is a crime.

I see the same logic used by a lot of people who would love to see warrant-less wiretaps and government snooping in violation of the Bill of Rights, but regardless...

Also, all computers produce heat. Generally speaking, the more powerful the machine the more heat produced. My Sager laptop can heat a house. It can also run any game I've ever tried playing on it at max settings, including Crysis and Crysis Warhead. Heat (and inefficiency) comes with the territory.

Andy Chalk:
Even the number one company on the list, Nokia, only came away with a 7.5 out of ten. Will this report keep anyone from picking up a Wii or a 360 over the holidays? Probably not. But it's a worthwhile note: You can do more, guys. So do more.

They could always do more, but they sure as hell shouldn't be answering to some arbitrary scale thrown together by a shady non-government organization with an extremist history that has been accused of money laundering by both insiders and non-profit watchdog groups.

I am actually shocked that Sony is crushing both microsoft and Nintendo in greenpeace...very interesting. :o

Edited for sleepyness. :3

Aylaine:
I am actually shocked that Sony is crushing both microsoft and sony in greenpeace...very interesting. :o

Sony's crushing both Microsoft and SONY eh?

Interesting indeed.

JediMB:

That never really made much sense to me. What's the point in keeping that information secret?

superbatranger:

JediMB:

That never really made much sense to me. What's the point in keeping that information secret?

I guess Reggie's just a troll to the end.

Let's be honest here though, how many consumers are actively green? Hell, i'm not. So why should the big, bad companies care about green ICT if the consumers don't. It's an interesting thing to think about.

Apackof12Ninjas:
Who really cares about this?

I'm with you.

I don't even think there should be a council deciding if the Xbox is green or the Wii is zero emition. I HIGHLY doubt that the spontaneous combustion of a console will increase globbal warming. Focus on something real, like how we all have to pay CO2 tax when driving a 5 year old car, while Obama flies to G20 in his own friggin jumbo jet.

Sorry for the mini rant, but I'm so fed up with the "eco crisis"

I'll care when the ice caps melt and global flooding stops my electronics from working.

Racthoh:
I'll care when the ice caps melt and global flooding stops my electronics from working.

The obvious solution is to buy waterproof and solar powered electronics. Especially since China doesn't really care about the amount of 'greenhouse gases' they emit, and they're outpacing even the US in that regard.

CTU_Loscombe:

JediMB:

It could mean any number of things, including that Nintendo don't have enough respect for Greenpeace to bother.

But I also know that I don't care what Nintendo would do if I were to send my consoles back to them for recycling.

For starters, in over 20 years not a single Nintendo console has stopped working on me.

Secondly, if I would somehow have Nintendo hardware I needed to get rid of, there are local facilities for recycling of electronic waste. I have no desire to force Nintendo to take responsibility for my waste.

Greenpeace infuriate me.

How long until people realize the environment hysteria is nonsense?

Last I checked, there was an ice-age or two before humans were around.

Pirate Kitty:
Greenpeace infuriate me.

We needs to recycles though or everything will be expensive :(

Littlee300:

Pirate Kitty:
Greenpeace infuriate me.

Apparently the only thing less expensive to recycle is aluminum cans. Everything else takes more resources to break down and reform as a new product.

I'll do some looking around and find the numbers and some sources.

Reusing, however, is never a bad idea.

Pirate Kitty:

Littlee300:

Pirate Kitty:
Greenpeace infuriate me.

Apparently the only thing less expensive to recycle is aluminum cans. Everything else takes more resources to break down and reform as a new product.

I'll do some looking around and find the numbers and some sources.

Reusing, however, is never a bad idea.

That explains how during the world wars the government was all about recycling. /asshat sarcasm :P

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.