China Overtakes U.S. with World's Fastest Supercomputer

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

2.507 petaflops?

GiantRedButton:

twistedheat15:

GiantRedButton:

Quaxar:
I wonder if they can run Crysis 2 on this thing...

i doubt its optimized for 7200 graphicscards :D
But yeah if a 256 mb ram ps3 can run it any pc will :D

WHOOOOSH~??

Greg Tito:
All of the computing power is supplied by 7,168 Nvidia Tesla M2050 graphics processor units (GPUs) and 14,336 Intel Xeon central processing units (CPUs).

I doubt it can run any game since games aren't programmed with 7200 essentialy graphics card in mind^^

Double barrel roll Whooosh~??

Wait, people don't know what a FLOP is?
I'm disappointed in you, Escapist.

Oh so finally a computer that can run crysis on low settings

OHMGEE I R FUNNY LOLZ

In all seriousness this is very impressive but what on earth are you going to use that kind of power for?

okay, it's cool and all...

but what is the point in it :P what do they use it for which is more important than a $2.7 million annual electricity bill???

Also, I have never heard of Petaflops? How big is that number?

Couldn't something that powerful basically run The Matrix? Or a small virtual reality at least?

Also, and it's absolutely vital that I do this:

danpascooch:
That is a hilarious unit

That's what she said.

I thought to myself after reading the headline "I hope there's a Hitchhiker's Guide reference"
Complete Win.

But this isn't so important really, I'm pretty sure i'm not the first person to point out that [email protected] is already ahead of this computer and that's only a small number of people (0.5m).

(EDIT)
Hell yes. Comment #42.

lostzombies.com:

danpascooch:
Ok, it's one thing for the US to be beaten by Japan or maybe Korea in this department, but CHINA!? SERIOUSLY!? Fuck that, we need to make a new megacomputer

I'm sure most western countries have secret ones that are equal to if not more powerful than this. The only difference is that we don't advertise them so people don't know where to send their new government made computer viruses for shits and giggles

The computer's made for research, why would it have an internet connection?

Why the hell is this a smart use of money, what possible use would this serve? it feels like amazing case of overkill.

SachielOne:
Anyone want to start a pool on how long before an "accidental" EMP takes this thing out?

I'm guessing it'll burn out on its own through some faulty fan or something.

danpascooch:

2.507 petaflops

That is a hilarious unit

I have to agree.

XT inc:
Pssh probably still wont be able to run crysis 3 on max settings.

Probably couldn't run the original Crysis at more than 50fps. God that game was unoptimized...

so they had more money to build a computer with the latest stuff?
Big. Fcking. Whoop. If I had millions of dollars to spend I'd simply buy both computers and combine them into one and place them in switzerland.

Everybody happy: )

...So what does it actually do except spend all day computing pi?

danpascooch:
Ok, it's one thing for the US to be beaten by Japan or maybe Korea in this department, but CHINA!? SERIOUSLY!? Fuck that, we need to make a new megacomputer

2.507 petaflops

That is a hilarious unit

It is a hilarious unit...

It is not very impressive because all they did was network a bizillion chips together, anyone with enough time and money can do that.

Anyway, I have 56.87928 petaflop computer in my basement (it runs Crysis on "high" and gets 55~65 fps...) so why is this one so great?

MasterSplinter:
Crysis joke incoming
T - 10 (posts)

murphy7801:
Yer but can crysis warhead at maximum on a 10,000 by 6000 resolution ?

A computer like this you'd think would be able to render games that looked as good as a Pixar movie real-time, but they can't.
A signal could not be able to respond at a fast enough rate to a single monitor to provide steady output of 30fps (or more) because the signal would have to travel so far through so many circuits.

Even if the monitor was subdivided into quadrants which computer blocks were individually assigned to, it still would not get a very good refresh rate. And no game exists that would be compatible. Architecture for 8 cel processors is hard enough, imagine writing code for 14,000 CPUs.

cut it out, China! it's not funny!... you're scaring us.

Yer but can crysis warhead at maximum on a 10,000 by 6000 resolution ?

It's sad since we never had anyone to compete with we never really pushed our tech as much. Now China over took us, maybe this will spark some passion to build a better computer.

yet, freedom of speech...

off topic but I wonder how much energy this thing uses a day, my PC strong enough to notice the expence in my electric bill, I cant imagine how much this uses.

That's good and all, but will it blend?

So how many flops do I get out of my PS3?, its a "random number" megaflop or something right? and whats the difference between a mega and a peta?

I can't stop thinking of PETA right now.

Vaccine:
Why the hell is this a smart use of money, what possible use would this serve? it feels like amazing case of overkill.

Its probably to try and predict the weather accurately.

GiantRedButton:

Quaxar:
I wonder if they can run Crysis 2 on this thing...

i doubt its optimized for 7200 graphicscards :D
But yeah if a 256 mb ram ps3 can run it any pc will :D

Id honestly laugh if it couldnt xD

Instead of gigabytes I shall now use the term petaflops for it is magical.

I hope it doesnt become sentient and start killing people

Akalabeth:

The computer's made for research, why would it have an internet connection?

Who said anything about an internet connection? Iran's powerplants are not connected to the internet yet they have been infected with a government made virus.

Vaccine:

My guess, dick-waving.
OT: I'm really not suprised that it's China, they'll probably overtake the USA as the worlds greatest superpower before the end of the decade and definetely by 2020.

Well give it a year and it will be out of date like all PC's. lol. But then i guess they need that amount of computer power to deal with all those chinese people looking online at things they shouldnt be.

Damn... guess we need to make an update to our 3 year old supercomputer. let the supercomputer race begin! onward to making our own overlords!

But will it blend?

Disaster Button:
...So what does it actually do except spend all day computing pi?

I thought of how fast that thing could compute every number of PI and got a headache. Gonna laugh when that sucker blue screens though.

I want to know what they will use it for. There's no way the US will be able to catch up. The government doesn't even have enough people to stop hackers from hacking the Pentagon, from what I've heard.

This comes in eerily close to the News of Gene Simmons VS Anonymous...

Perhaps those Hackers on Steroids have found a way to spam people at a 1000000000000000% effectiveness using this machine.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.