Sony Not Doing Enough With Move, Says Microsoft's Aaron Greenberg

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Sony Not Doing Enough With Move, Says Microsoft's Aaron Greenberg

Sony is selling itself short by using Move as a replacement for a regular controller, says Microsoft's interactive entertainment boss Aaron Greenberg.

Greenberg has praised Sony's new motion controller the PlayStation Move, calling it a "great product." He thought that Sony wasn't ambitious enough with its strategy for the device, however, and was content to target it at its existing audience.

Sony was presenting Move as a replacement for a traditional controller, Greenberg said, making a big deal about how gamers could use it to play games like SOCOM 4. He thought that there would be users that would enjoy playing games that way, but said that Microsoft was taking a different approach. Rather than try and shoehorn its motion controller, Kinect, into games where it wouldn't necessarily fit, he said, Microsoft was looking to build games that had the device in mind from the outset. He reiterated that Kinect was a big deal for Microsoft, and said that the resources that the company had invested into it were on a par with the investment it had made in Xbox Live.

It's certainly true that Sony has been a lot more cautious with Move than Microsoft has been with Kinect, but I don't think it's accurate to say that it's only targeting its existing install base. Sony has definitely tried to present Move as something that core gamers would enjoy, but that's not been to the exclusion of a broader, more casual audience.

Kinect launches on November 4th in North America, November 10th in Europe and November 18th in Australia.

Source: Eurogamer

Kevin Butler, I choose you!

Sony is marketing this to everyone, pretty much. The casual and core. Whatever those terms mean.

Go away, nobody cares.

Has this man even looked at his own product's launch line-up? /facepalm

Woodsey:
Go away, nobody cares.

Of course he has! I mean look how awesome Knicet Adventures looks! /sarcasm.

Holy Shit

Woodsey:
Go away, nobody cares.

Close this thread with this.

Micro$oft we get it we know that the Kinect will flop

STOP ACTING HIGH AND MIGHTY AND SHUT THE FUCK UP FOR FUCKS SAKE!

So sick of all these companies bickering like punk asses!

DIE IN A FIRE!

-Rage End-

I really don't care what Microsoft has to say about their main competitor's products unless it's a complete "man bites dog" situation. I don't see why anyone else should, either.

Onyx Oblivion:
Kevim Butler, I choose you!

Sony is marketing this to everyone, pretty much. The casual and core. Whatever those terms mean.

Butler's awesome.
OT: I think Kinect will have 800,000 sales worldwide at most.

I remember when both of these companies were laughing at the Wii and calling Nintendo out for trying to introduce motion controls. Now they are arguing with each other about how to introduce motion controls. I find this hilarious and sad all at the same time.

Quotes out of context, the mainstay of modern media.

Were just going to have to wait a bit for this trend to die.... God motion controls suck, I wanna play Saints Row sitting with a coke and some cheetos on my fat ass, not by flapping my arms like a retard or while holding a womens sex toy....

Kinect really looks like shit on a biscuit. I don't care much more for Move, but at least you can use it for more than that Kinectimals crap and Wii Sports ripoffs...

Dude... you have NO room to talk.

I admit both sides have been amazingly uncreative in their offerings (seriously, I gave them a little credit), but at least PS3 people know how a good game is going to work on Move. How many times have your boys avoided giving 360 people a sign the Kinect initative isn't, or at the very least eventually, won't a waste of their time?

The only good thing I see about Kinect is at least it's trying to push boundaries... it's a lot closer to holodecks than Move is.

Lt. Vinciti:

Microsoft we get it we know that the Kinect will flop

Fix'd.

Says Microsoft? Will this stupid mudslinging ever end?

All they're doing with announcements like these is trying to downplay Sony in order to make themselves look superior. I wonder how many people even take the mudslinging between rival companies seriously.

It's like the whole game industry is in a motion-sensor pissing contest. Or should I say, a Wii-ing contest? HA HA PUNS!

Probably because it's only a peripheral at the end of the day.

Jeronus:
I remember when both of these companies were laughing at the Wii and calling Nintendo out for trying to introduce motion controls. Now they are arguing with each other about how to introduce motion controls. I find this hilarious and sad all at the same time.

Well I don't think Sony ever hated the idea of motion control:

I.E: Sixaxis.

In other words, Kinect doesn't actually work with anything other than games specially designed for Kinect, and even then it sometimes sucks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euNOPKYFbPc

And how is Sony making a bad decision? At least, they are making it so the Move is useful to the whole system and it's games. The idea of playing Socom 4 as a "light gun" game is kinda cool. But also being able to play it with a standard controller is very nice. In fact, doesn't Nintendo do this with a lot of their games? Sounds more like Microsoft is afraid that the Kinect is going to die not in fire, but in ice.

For the record, I don't care about motion controls. I don't own a Wii and don't intend to. Anytime I played a game that used the Sixaxis controller, I turned off that option if it was available. Unless, they can prove me wrong, and give me a game that I would actually wanna play, I don't intend to get a Move on my PS3.

Onyx Oblivion:

Hahaha, I love it. Nice sarcastic take on all these 'perfect family' advertisement.

I'm glad Sony isn't pushing this too much and pretending it will spark a revolution. It's just a nice gadget on the side of the normal stuff.

Jeronus:

Sad indeed. Lucky for them most people don't remember.

Aaron Greenberg:
Sony Not Doing Enough With Move

Sont made motion control technology that doesn't require a fucking ball room to play in! I think they're doing a bit better than you.

me wonders how long before microsoft caves and adds "controller" accessories to the move since fps games and other just would feel better if you you know had something in your hands to actually point at the screen.

and i will never lose the endless facepalm when i see the commercial of people playing driving games by steering an air wheel in front of them, real driving games require a force feedback wheel and decent pedals to actually drive decently. or at the very lest some analogue paddles to control the gas and brake inputs halfway well.

and hell old peter m fought hard for the integrated controllers and the kinetics and lost that battle. wait a year and ms will be announcing an eldless stream of add ons that work with the k, guns, tennis raquets, car crap, all at 59.99 a pop, so they can milk more cash out of the kinetic people.

If you children don't stop insulting each other, I'll turn this car round and we won't go to Disneyland!

Woodsey:
Go away, nobody cares.

Oh please. Are we going by launch line up, now?
Look at the PS3's launch line up:

Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII
Call of Duty 3
Genji: Days of the Blade
Madden NFL 07
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire
NBA 2K7
NHL 2K7
Resistance: Fall of Man
Ridge Racer 7
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07
Tony Hawk's Project 8

That is hardly impressive. In fact, I was working at an EB Games at the time, and the PS3 and it's games were the running gag for months. Obviously things smoothed out, and it's a great system. But the launch titles are hardly a great example of how well a system will do.

OT: I'm actually pretty excited about Kinect! It's something my wife will enjoy, as well as our non-gamer friends!
Sign me up!

Korten12:

Jeronus:

Well I don't think Sony ever hated the idea of motion control:

I.E: Sixaxis.

You have a point, but they still mocked Nintendo and now they are shamelessly ripping them off.

Baby Tea:

OT: I'm actually pretty excited about Kinect! It's something my wife will enjoy, as well as our non-gamer friends!
Sign me up!

For a while. It's kind of bad news for us gamers when the companies we rely on heavily to provide our entertainment start one-upping each other in a bid to win over a market that doesn't particularly care about the sort of things that serious gamers do.

Ugh. Okay, I need to stop clicking the links to these, "Sony says this about Kinect. Microsoft says that about Move." stories. Officially, as of now. It's so tiresome.

InterAirplay:

Baby Tea:

Sign me up!

For a while. It's kind of bad news for us gamers when the companies we rely on heavily to provide our entertainment start one-upping each other in a bid to win over a market that doesn't particularly care about the sort of things that serious gamers do.

Both Sony and Microsoft aren't stupid.
Anyone who actually believes that the introduction of either Move or Kinect means that core-gamers will be left in the dust is off their meds. It's a ridiculous, baseless assumption. Both companies know that they only reason they have either console is because of the core crowd, and they won't be forgetting about them just because they'd like to appeal their system to a wider market.

More people gaming means less of a crazy stigma about our favourite past-time.
Which means less things like that ridiculous California law.

That's a good thing.

Fallen-Angel Risen-Demon:

Onyx Oblivion:

Butler's awesome.
OT: I think Kinect will have 800,000 sales worldwide at most.

it will have more because Justin Bieber is promoting it at his concerts ._.

WE NEED MORE WATER BOTTLES, FILLED WITH RADIOACTIVE WASTE!

meganmeave:
Ugh. Okay, I need to stop clicking the links to these, "Sony says this about Kinect. Microsoft says that about Move." stories. Officially, as of now. It's so tiresome.

Sony has made a reply to Microsoft´s complete bullshit arguments ONCE. Microsoft have trolled Move about 20 times.

Baby Tea:
Both Sony and Microsoft aren't stupid.
Anyone who actually believes that the introduction of either Move or Kinect means that core-gamers will be left in the dust is off their meds. It's a ridiculous, baseless assumption. Both companies know that they only reason they have either console is because of the core crowd, and they won't be forgetting about them just because they'd like to appeal their system to a wider market.

More people gaming means less of a crazy stigma about our favourite past-time.
Which means less things like that ridiculous California law.

That's a good thing.

This. This is what I have been trying to say. If you look at history, new mediums of entertainment were always pushed off as evil until something happened and it became mainstream; Rock music, Jazz, even playing cards. And because of a lot of the gamer's elitist attitude (or maybe all of our elitist attitudes) there isn't much hope we will do it ourselves, so let the developers take the first step.

"microsoft is a poopy head" sony replies

Launch lineups don't mean much in the long term. The XBOX 360 and PS3 both had a lot of poor titles out of the gates, but there were a few gems in each stable as well.

It's too early to start bringing up whether or not a system is fully utilizing it's tech, but from my playtime, Sports Champions, Tumble, and The Shoot work just fine with the Move. Plus, the Move's D-pad is activated by holding down the T-trigger, so yes it's a bit clunky if you try to use it outside of what it's meant for.

That said, I'm looking forwards to owning both motion control systems.

What I'm hearing is that Sony is trying to support its fanbase of gamers with the controller, while Microsoft is ignoring its fanbase and targeting non-supporters. Out of those two, I'd have to say Sony wins out on 'loyalty', despite it being a misguided attempt.

Kinect is easily the better piece of technology and has a lot more potential than the Move, but its surprising that, so far at least, the Move has better implementation and a better line up of games.

Not interested in either, less so in the Move since I've got a Wii collecting dust anyway, but I'm at least a little curious to see how things work out a year after release. My guess is that by then either they'll be hideously popular/unpopular, or will make a fierce change of tactics. Either they sell fast for the gimmick, or take a large pause until decent games come out.

Baby Tea:

Woodsey:
Go away, nobody cares.

Oh please. Are we going by launch line up, now?
Look at the PS3's launch line up:

Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII
Call of Duty 3
Genji: Days of the Blade
Madden NFL 07
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire
NBA 2K7
NHL 2K7
Resistance: Fall of Man
Ridge Racer 7
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07
Tony Hawk's Project 8

So? I'm talking about Kinect not the 360 (or the PS3 or Move in particular). BUT, at least Move is being implemented in some games for core gamers, not that I'd ever want to use motion controls for anything apart from browsing menus (make it happen PC!).

I just wish MS would stop rabbiting on about the fucking thing when all they've done is alienate most of us with it - at least Sony's bitch-fits are funny with Kevin Butler.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here