Nintendo Holds Pre-Teen Slumber Party for Dragon Quest IX

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Nintendo Holds Pre-Teen Slumber Party for Dragon Quest IX

To show the widespread appeal of Square Enix's Dragon Quest IX, Nintendo held a slumber party for 12-year-old girls.

Dragon Quest is one of the most popular franchises in Japan and able to sell millions in just days. In North America, it's still popular, but the sales numbers aren't even close. Nintendo said that it would be promoting Dragon Quest IX to hopefully bring the series into more overseas households, and one of those promotions recently included a slumber party for 12-year-old girls.

Read that last sentence as many times as you want, but it'll keep saying the same thing. Nintendo held a Halloween slumber party for at least 6 or more pre-teen girls and set them loose with DSi systems and Dragon Quest IX. From photos of the event we see the girls were given Dragon Quest slime shirts to wear, and the room/home they were in was littered with Dragon Quest decorations and plushies. They apparently played Dragon Quest IX's tag mode and helped each other kill monsters while collecting loot.

This promotion seems odd, but you really can't blame Nintendo for trying. There's no reason why 11 and 12-year-olds shouldn't be into Dragon Quest IX, but you wouldn't typically think of them as the series' target audience. Why not give events like these a shot and attempt to distribute the photos to more casual websites that could promote Dragon Quest IX as a female and pre-teen friendly game?

Anything that makes a segment of the population take a second look at a videogame worth playing that they would otherwise ignore is cool with me. I just want a chance to get my hands on one of those shirts and plushies too, though I can totally understand Nintendo not wanting to host a slumber party full of grown hardcore RPG fans.

That's......weird.....

That's...interesting..

So, DQ IX is meant for 12 year old girls? Maybe that's why it didn't have the same feel as DQ VIII did for me.

DQ X is coming out on the Wii, I wonder if it too will be meant for 12 year old girls? Scary!

Uhhh huhhh......

Dragon Quest IX has plushies but Fallout: New Vegas doesn't? I want a deathclaw plushie dang it!

OT: Odd promoting Nintendo...odd indeed. Maybe it will actually work.

Okay, then.

Weird. Really weird.

[Gavo]:
Okay, then.

Weird. Really weird.

If by 'weird' you mean 'creepy as fuck' then yeah.

Edit: Am I the only one who thinks this is just Nintendo's preliminary attempt to bring Lolicon out of anime/manga and into the real world?

DQ is pretty tame. My 9 year old son and then-6-year-old daughter both played VIII or whichever the one was before this one. I mean, I'd be a little wary of any corprate-sponsored slumber parties in general, but the age group playing that game doesn't bother me.

This is what saddened me about the game, it didn't feel like a Dragon Quest game, maybe it's not targeted at the fans anymore...

mistwolf:
DQ is pretty tame. My 9 year old son and then-6-year-old daughter both played VIII or whichever the one was before this one. I mean, I'd be a little wary of any corprate-sponsored slumber parties in general, but the age group playing that game doesn't bother me.

I mean the only seen that comes relatively close to "un-tame" would be Argonia where the King is basically telling his son about girls and they use Jessica as an example. Meh, I may still end up getting IX eventually.

A red and white slime approaches!

It says "Hey little boy/girl! Want to play a game?"

It's pretty weird.

Oh, also:

Tom Goldman:

Anything that makes a segment of the population take a second look at a videogame worth playing that they would otherwise ignore is cool with me. I just want a chance to get my hands on one of those shirts and plushies too, though I can totally understand Nintendo not wanting to host a slumber party full of grown hardcore RPG fans.

That King Slime beanbag-chair looking thing in the background... gotta have it! though I bet it might not be too hard to make one on my own, though of a smaller size.

Why does this have bad idea written all over it in big red letters?

Huh....Well, I suppose they...

Huh.

I got nothing.

It's new and different. That makes it wrong. Can't Nintendo see the logic here?

But in actuality, while I bit of a sucker-punch as surprises go, this is a neat way to get people who might not see games as acceptable to them, or at least these kinds of games, into them for a change. And, hey, we're all assuming that some creepy dude is running the show when, on the floor, it's probably a bunch of female marketing interns or something. The kind of people who might work a lock-in at your local family fitness center or YMCA.

Well, at least they didn't invite a bunch of 20-something guys to sleep over and play Babysitting Mama all night...

All the Drago Quest TV spots I've seen have been "Hey look at me I can dress up my character!" and about 2 seconds on the rest of the game. I hate Nintendo marketing. It all has to be family friendly casual stuff now. They don't do cool stuff like Sony's Kevin Butler. I suppose they have to Market to their consumer base, and they have just built their fourth yacht out of bundles of $100 bills so you can't complain.

okaaaay then, I'm just gonna, you know, walk away slooowly now...

Nintendo has suddenly become that creepy middle-aged man who is always just that little too nice to the neighbourhood children in my minds eye...

A Japanese video game company organising a slumber party for twelve year old girls.

Am I the only person who feels this should raise some serious red flags?

Who the shit thought this was a good idea? It doesn't even sound good on paper!

Nintendo....why don't you take a seat over there?

That sounds like brainwashing...

The pillows, shirts, decor, only source of 'official' entertainment, and probably any music chosen for the event... was all... Dragon Quest themed...?

I can imagine them waking up over the next week, screaming about slimes 'n' stuff.

Garak73:
So, DQ IX is meant for 12 year old girls? Maybe that's why it didn't have the same feel as DQ VIII did for me.

DQ X is coming out on the Wii, I wonder if it too will be meant for 12 year old girls? Scary!

Yeah, certainly explains a lot about the horrible decisions made with the game and its Tag mode for the NA audience. Little girls are always clinging together, so of course they'll all have it. While us older gamers will barely run across another person with the DS, much less DQ9, much less with DQ9 in it, and even less so having DQ9 in sleep mode with them.

Is that an image of a 12 year old girl?

Where I live they look a lot older, and have hit puberty...

Some interesting tags on this article.

Solid Snake: What.
Dr. wonderful: the.
Desmomd miles: fuck.

Well, I'll give them points on the creative process...but parents won't warm up to this/or figure a way to make this get of of control.

this seems appropiate

really, nintendo kinda creeps me out = P

Totally not creepy.

Nothing wrong with that.

cursedseishi:

Garak73:

Yeah, certainly explains a lot about the horrible decisions made with the game and its Tag mode for the NA audience. Little girls are always clinging together, so of course they'll all have it. While us older gamers will barely run across another person with the DS, much less DQ9, much less with DQ9 in it, and even less so having DQ9 in sleep mode with them.

Face it, one of the most hardcore and oldest JRPG's has sold out to casual gamers. I wonder why I haven't sold my Wii yet? Oh yeah...Netflix.

Atleast I have Chrono Trigger on the DS.

Wait, only little girls. I'm a 20 yr. old guy and I play it nonstop. What kind of marketing philosophy is this? Is it: As in only girls should be playing it, or as in they want to get a bunch of little girls in one place.

haha, pedophiles.

No, seriously, I know nothing will happen. But still. this is wierd and unusual. For any company to do it. Consider my eyebrows raised.

I just want a chance to get my hands on one of those shirts and plushies too

You know, just for a second I thought this sentence was going in a whole other direction.

I can totally understand Nintendo not wanting to host a slumber party full of grown hardcore RPG fans.

Awww. Spoilsports. In that case, I'll start my own video-game-themed slumber party! With blackjack! And hookers! And absolutely no twelve-year-old girls, I hasten to point out!

While at a glance, it may seem creepy. But I see rec centers and the like doing lock-ins all the time (and went to them quite frequently).

As long as there was proper supervision and protocols, no need to assume a creepy factor.

MmmFiber:

[Gavo]:
Okay, then.

Weird. Really weird.

If by 'weird' you mean 'creepy as fuck' then yeah.

Edit: Am I the only one who thinks this is just Nintendo's preliminary attempt to bring Lolicon out of anime/manga and into the real world?

Yeah pretty much.

I don't think it's creepy, I think it's just awesome... and I want one of those shirts and plushies...

Whoever pitched that idea needs to be on some sort of list.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here