Greasy Fingers Don't Matter With Kinect

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Greasy Fingers Don't Matter With Kinect

Microsoft will soon prove the true advantage of controller free technology: There's nothing to get greasy.

If you walk into your local Burger King in the near future and see people jumping around like lunatics, don't be afraid, and please don't call the police. They're probably only playing Kinect in a new promotion announced to advertise the upcoming Xbox 360 device. However, if they're not playing Kinect upon closer inspection, you probably should call the police after all.

Burger King and Microsoft have announced a cross-promotion that will give away a Kinect to Whopper eaters every 15 minutes for the next 28 days. Buying a Whopper value meal at participating Burger King restaurants will provide a code that is entered on a special website. Winners receive a prize pack that includes the 4GB Xbox 360, Kinect with Kinect Adventures, and Kinect Sports. In addition, Burger King is offering kids' meal toys that can be scanned into Kinect to provide a unique object in Kinectimals. These promotions aren't exactly the Kinect sequels to Sneak King I was hoping for, but maybe those are still coming later.

Microsoft is also installing Kinect demo units in various Burger King restaurants so customers can try it out, which brings me to my next point. The controller for a videogame kiosk in a fast-food restaurant would normally become one of the most bacteria-covered objects in the history of the universe. All of that hamburger, onion ring, and french fry grease wouldn't make for a very sanitary play environment. Microsoft may have missed the boat in neglecting to promote Kinect as a way to play games while still being able to eat food that covers your hands.

How many times have you wanted to eat cheese curls or Doritos while playing a videogame, but you just didn't want an orange controller? Those days are now behind us, though it'll probably be a little weird when Kinect is eventually scolding us as it recognizes that we're eating a meatball sandwich. Sony says that PlayStation Move is more hardcore because it has buttons, but I think we've found the downfall of those buttons after all.

Selling a device that could be considered 'excercise' in a fast food joint...

The irony. I can taste it!

is this america only? if its in england then i'll try and win it and then sell the xbox and stuff :p i'd rather have the cashola that some stupid xbox :p

I remember the N64 kiosks they had (and still have) at some McDonald's. Good lord were those controllers nasty...

Man, I am really hungry right now...

Hm... I shall win a kinect and since I have not enough space, I will sell it on E-bay for $50

This is the first real (better than controller) benefit to the kinect I've seen so far (assuming you're not already into motion controls). Still, I tend to not eat much while gaming, so I don't really need this benefit.

A challenger approaches.

It's a bit of a silly promotion, but, grats to those who win it.

Still not thrilled about Kinect.But getting hunger for a whopper right now.

I am going to get so ill eating pizza on white-water rapids. BLEURGH! I guess that's what the little inflatable raft is for? To catch my barf?

I already have a fix for greasy fingers, pants.

Damnit, Tom! That picture made me hungry!
Eh, this is one weird promotion, and probably won't make people want to play it.

Jesus, just wash your damn hands.

I like it, I can now stuff my fat face and not have to pause my game.

Only problem, this is going directly against Mc Donald's Monopoly game. Oh the decisions of where to waste my money for a prize I won't win.

Squashed french fries are one of the slipperiest substances known to man. Have any of those around the Kinect demo units and you're just asking for injury lawsuits.

I seem to remember something that had a similar feature, I believe it was called the Eyetoy. Now i'm off to get some Burger King.

KEM10:

You can eat and jump around at the same time? That's just a choking hazard for me. I mean, I can walk or do things, but focused and highly-active behavior? No, thanks, I want my windpipe exclusively for wind.

Daystar Clarion:
Selling a device that could be considered 'excercise' in a fast food joint...

The irony. I can taste it!

Does it taste like trans-fats?

Eat greasy food; don't wash.

Just wondering, have they announced any good games yet?

Like a FPS or Third Person Platformer or something.

Ew, I'm not a pig, I keep my Dualshock 3, 2 keyboards and mouse clean.

...That's not the dumbest thing I've ever heard...

But it's up there.

mistergobbles:
I remember the N64 kiosks they had (and still have) at some McDonald's. Good lord were those controllers nasty...

We had gamecubes, Super Smash Bros. Melee and a cheeseburger was amazing at the age of 8.

And that's gonna give people stitches, that's why food and exercise don't mix people.

But, it's still better than slipping on the D-Pad because some grease.

I hate it when people grab a controller with greasy hands, makes the buttons and thumbsticks are slippery.

THIS HAS CHANGED MY VIEWS ON KINECT!
I WILL NOW PURCHASE ONE FOR EVERY ROOM IN MY HOUSE!
ALL HAIL THE GREASELESS KINECT!

So how many Kinects does that come out to?

60 minutes in an hour/15 minutes per Kinect = 3 Kinects an hour.

3 x 24 hours in a day = 72 Kinects a day

72 x 28 = 2016

So they're giving out 2016 Kinects I think. Hm... maybe that's a secret message? Maybe they'll release the Xbox 720 in 2016! MYSTERY! INTRIGUE! SUSPENSE!

Or I could eat with one hand, and play with the other.

Like I do with Pokemon and the DS.

Go to options, make "L = A"...and voila. One handed Pokemon. So long as you don't have to reach over and hit "B" to cancel anything. Or "Start" to open a menu. Still, it's functional.

What's next in the realm of pro gaming? Will GameStop sell little boxes filled with white, powder chalk in them so your have a firmer grip on your d-pad?

'Don't want to wash your hands kids? Just chalk them greasy fingers and you're good to go!'

If anything I think Burger King wins from that promotion and not Kinect.

Yay so now I can run around while eating food. I might get sick on my kinect, but at least it won't get greasy

Formica Archonis:

KEM10:

You can eat and jump around at the same time? That's just a choking hazard for me. I mean, I can walk or do things, but focused and highly-active behavior? No, thanks, I want my windpipe exclusively for wind.

Pretty much this, and also the heinous indigestion that it will cause. Particularly with all that carbonated drink on top of heavy junk food. The natural order of things is beer, pizza, tv, THEN games once everyone's let their food settle and got nicely lubricated.

BrunDeign:
So how many Kinects does that come out to?

60 minutes in an hour/15 minutes per Kinect = 3 Kinects an hour.

3 x 24 hours in a day = 72 Kinects a day

72 x 28 = 2016

So they're giving out 2016 Kinects I think. Hm... maybe that's a secret message? Maybe they'll release the Xbox 720 in 2016! MYSTERY! INTRIGUE! SUSPENSE!

I hate to put a damper on your theory, but a kinect every 15 minutes = 4 an hour, 96 a day and 2688 in the promotion.

OT: This might make me buy Kinect, its so annoying having to pause and put down my controller to eat.

I use gloves when I use my controllers.
Go Me!

cocoro67:
I use gloves when I use my controllers.
Go Me!

Thats....weird. LOL!!!

This is a good point to chalk up....a GOOD one too.

Take you you moronic Kinect haters!!!!!!

I saw a commercial for this recently!
The King costume always make me laugh. XD He scares the SHIT out fo the kid in this video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgitgfmudB0&feature=player_embedded

Cingal:

A challenger approaches.

It's a bit of a silly promotion, but, grats to those who win it.

*Fistshake* You stole what I was just about to write!

Actually, I was going to say those "Wetnaps", since I usually steal about a million of them from the local wing place. =P

Yeah... the type of people who are gonna be eating junk food non stop while sitting on their asses gaming are gonna hate the kinect since you know, it actually requires them to move...

mistergobbles:

Hahaha! I remember those! Of course I did not care about how nasty they were, the games were fun.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here