Gran Turismo 5 Discs "Being Stamped As We Speak"

Gran Turismo 5 Discs "Being Stamped As We Speak"

Contradicting reports that there's "not much hope" of Gran Turismo 5 arriving in time for the holidays, producer Kazunori Yamauchi says "the discs are being stamped as we speak."

Today was the day that the oft-delayed Gran Turismo 5 was finally going to hit store shelves, really and for true, until word came down in mid-October that Polyphony Digital's racing sim had been pushed back once again - but just briefly this time! Sony assured fans that while the game was being delayed to ensure it would be the "perfect racing experience," it would still be out in time for the holiday season, really and for true.

Nonetheless, it wasn't a great surprise when Eurogamer reported earlier today that industry sources had said there's "not much hope" of that happening, and that the game will more likely come out sometime in 2011. Polyphony's own schedule lists the game as "TBC," according to one insider, and many retailers seem to have given up on the 2010 release window as well. Amazon currently has the game scheduled for December 31, 2010, while GameStop has a nearly-identical January 1, 2011. In the U.K., Game has it scheduled for nothing more concrete than 2011, while Play.com isn't committing to any release date at all.

But now, none other than Gran Turismo creator Kazunori Yamauchi himself has contradicted that unhappy news, claiming that the game has actually gone gold. "The discs are being stamped as we speak," he told Jalopnik. It's not enough to assuage all doubts and there's still the possibility of other delays - one commenter suggested that Polyphony will want to redesign the delivery vans from the ground up - but if Yamauchi's words hold true, it might just be a happy holiday for racing fans after all.

Meh, I already won three "The game's gonna be delayed again" bets, but I still have a bad feeling about this time.

Those were some damn good sodas, though.

Finally

I've been waiting. It better be damn good, or someone's going to get beaten with a lead pipe a very angry e-mail.

"No seriously, my essays being printed right now, I swear! I just can't deliver it until next Tuesday because the printer's office is off for a week."

That's what this sounds like...

They may be getting stamped but that means nothing until an approximate date is given.

Not to be pessimistic, but "the discs are being stamped as we speak" could mean they're being crushed beneath the feet of frustrated developers who are being told they must go back and fix another delay-inducing bug.

Andy Chalk:
It's not enough to assuage all doubts and there's still the possibility of other delays - one commenter suggested that Polyphony will want to redesign the delivery vans from the ground up - but if Yamauchi's words hold true, it might just be a happy holiday for racing fans after all.

Until the frame rate drops and a critical moment, they lose the race, and toss their controller through the TV. Then it'll just be a frustrating, "fuck now I can't play anything with a broken controller and TV" holiday for racing fans.

It's cute that they still think their little racing game is relevant after all this time though.

I am just kinda shocked they are still making GT games. Last good one I played was 1...

I can't belive this game is actually coming out!. I may get this game, whenever I buy a PS3.

They are also going to put motorbikes into the game as well. Though I believe its going to be an expansion set, still interesting though. As far as I know they are still working on the 3D rendering and all that fuck'n bullshit. I've had this game preordered for over three years now and about twentybillion calls from the retailer that the game will be delayed. My guess it will come out mid 2011... if we are lucky.

I can't believe it took this long Forza 123 came out since GT4

mjc0961:

Andy Chalk:
It's not enough to assuage all doubts and there's still the possibility of other delays - one commenter suggested that Polyphony will want to redesign the delivery vans from the ground up - but if Yamauchi's words hold true, it might just be a happy holiday for racing fans after all.

Until the frame rate drops and a critical moment, they lose the race, and toss their controller through the TV. Then it'll just be a frustrating, "fuck now I can't play anything with a broken controller and TV" holiday for racing fans.

It's cute that they still think their little racing game is relevant after all this time though.

Little? Do you know anything about this game? I can assure you, there are a lot of people looking forward to this game still.

sneakypenguin:

That's a very good point. This game better be absolutely fantastic in very way, and not just in scale (We have OVER 9000 cars!!). Nothing else could justify that long of a dev time.

Oh that's adorable, in the time it took you to come out with that damn game, I'm ready to play Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit instead of your overblown racing sim. At least I can sit back and enjoy the speed than dealing with all of your nonsense

Gran Turismo 5 is being printed? What's happening to the world?

You'll be telling me Duke Nukem Forever's being released next...

Does that mean I'll be able to drive a Daihatsu 61hp monster with no cockpit view during the holidays for a nominal fee?

If I can gather the money up before it comes out, then I might buy it, I'm just not into racing games at the moment. And with Black Ops coming out...

mjc0961:

Andy Chalk:

what are you trying to say?

Well, that all well and good, but seriously? It's coming out? I'm afraid we're losing our memes. Dukem Nukem Forever is actually going to be released, and now the discs for GT5 have been stamped? If Episode 3 comes out, what would we have to chant around the internet?

I have a feeling this game might bomb, but hoping it doesn't. Past experience with Lair and Haze have taught me to feel cautious.

Will this game just PLEASE die off or actually get a concrete release date? It's becoming the next Duke Nukem Forever, and I really don't wanna hear GT5-related jokes for the next decade.

First Duke Nukem is coming out...Now GT5 is coming out.

What's next? Starcraft: Ghost?

sweeeeeet, really lookin forward to playing this, love the series :D heh one of the main reasons i got a ps3 tbh. prologue and wipeout hd have kept me entertained as far as racing goes, but this is really what im hanging out for :D win!

lots of crying around here lol

The price of this game has completely driven me off.

I will wait until I see it pre-owned, or on a massive sale.

I've better ways to spend that sort of money.

sravankb:

sneakypenguin:

That's a very good point. This game better be absolutely fantastic in very way, and not just in scale (We have OVER 9000 cars!!). Nothing else could justify that long of a dev time.

And yet I can guarantee my car won't be one of the 9,000.

I suppose if I wanted to drive my car I could well, go out and drive it. However it would be interesting to see if they captured the way it handled; i.e. shit.

Programmed_For_Damage:
And yet I can guarantee my car won't be one of the 9,000.

I suppose if I wanted to drive my car I could well, go out and drive it. However it would be interesting to see if they captured the way it handled; i.e. shit.

GT3 and 4 both had Subaru Wagons to drive. That's my car. If they modeled a station wagon, you have a pretty fair chance of something close being in there. And, yes, it handles noticeably similar to the real thing.

BTW, one reason you'd drive your own car in a game is because it's cheaper to red line your car in a game than in real life.

mjc0961:

Andy Chalk:

Even though it kind of is? Clearly, otherwise it won't be getting so much press about it being delayed.

V8 Ninja:
Will this game just PLEASE die off or actually get a concrete release date? It's becoming the next Duke Nukem Forever, and I really don't wanna hear GT5-related jokes for the next decade.

How is it becoming Duke Nukem Forever? We've seen actual development progress and proof that it's finished, Duke Nukem Forever however is still not finished after about 13 years now.

This is good news I suppose. I am trying to remain as pessimistic as possible about a release date in the near future because I don't want another black cloud hanging over me when that is missed too. It doesn't matter though, it will come out eventually and I will play it to death.

sneakypenguin:

Obviously, you're unaware of them having to throw away 13 years of legacy code to build an engine that ran on the PS3. But hey, those are just 'details' right? lol

mjc0961:

Right, you apparently missed the whole part about that only happening during very specific circumstances, such as being 16th in a standing start race (doesn't happen very often), with full rain coming down on the track (with randomized whether, this'll happen even less). Of course, kids who throw controllers in tantrums shouldn't be playing with expensive electronics anyway.

It's funny you think your opinion on this is relevant, it'll be even funnier seeing GT outsell most racing games (not called Gran Turismo) by day 1. ;)

gee it's about time ,but even forza 3 got boring quick and online was not fun (demo derby)
lets hope they didn't fuck it up,by adding crap cars i'd never drive in real life , and change the game play too much

I think any sane person is thinking "finally"... this will be the top sports game for a long time now, can't wait. GT has always been the premium quality racing game for me since it first came out.

Finally. I know he wants to make it as perfect as possible. But 6 years? Its a racing game. Its linear. Its not an open ended rpg with multi branch storylines and characters with loads of spoken dialogue etc. Just a racing simulator. It really shouldnt have taken this long especially as they have already made 4 previous games. Most of the car and track designs/photos etc they already have as well as the sound effects. Sigh. Atleast it will be out although i may just be being picky but they missed the holiday release. A holiday release for me would be you get to play the game at christmas and boxing day....not New years eve. Although in the UK it looks like early January release date.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here