Kinect Claims First TV Casualty

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Kinect Claims First TV Casualty

The frenetic action possible when playing with Kinect has damaged its first expensive television.

Phil Villarreal is a writer living in Tucson, Arizona with his two children. At around 1:30am this morning, he was playing Kinect Sports by himself after the kids had likely gone to bed. While playing the volleyball game, Villarreal made a violent overhead motion with his arm to approximate spiking the ball over the net. Unfortunately, Villarreal was playing below a ceiling fan with a pullstring. His violent action dislodged the string from fan, shooting it directly into his new-ish 47-inch LCD TV. Now, the TV has a large multi-colored streak of broken pixels, rendering it worthless. All because Villarreal was playing with Kinect, which he couldn't have had for much more than a day.

Villareal called himself the "first moron to break his TV with Kinect" on his blog and phrased the news as a Public Service Announcement: "Do not under any circumstances play Kinect Sports Volleyball at 1:30 a.m. while standing under a ceiling fan with a dangling chain for a light switch. You could conceivably spike it into your year-old amazing TV, causing it to die with a rainbow LCD teardrop dripping down from the impact wound."

He added: "Plus you'll lose the match by forfeit."

So not only did Villarreal lose his TV, but he automatically lost the game too. That's just cold.

Source: Because I Told You So

At least he seems to be a good sport about it! But seriously, that's hilarious.

one out, god knows how many left

also, he lost the game too!?

that's unforgivable, just... unforgivable

Oh the wonders of idiocy.

LOL
awesome simply awesome

Poor guy! Ah well, it happens! I love the 'teardrop' rainbow. So sad!

That guy is a fucking wordsmith. His description was awesome.

Feeling a bit of sympathy for him, but this accident has given him a small boost of fame, so it's sort of balanced. He might now get some regular readers of his blog from this accident!

He took it quite well.

Made me smile a bit. :)

FIRST BLOOD! That was fast!

The Great JT:
FIRST BLOOD! That was fast!

Curse you, you beat me to it!
Being a tall person, I tend to avoid rooms with active ceiling fans anyway.

The lesson? be sure to have plenty of space around you when using this thing.

..."causing it to die with a rainbow LCD teardrop dripping down from the impact wound."

That was quite poetic I thought.

It was a matter of time, didn't know it would happen so soon, poor guy.

you really can't blame kinect for it. But it's nice to hear, that the man was a good sport.

Well, out of all the accidents I would have expected out of Kinect, I didn't expect this. Still, could have been wait a minute...

Greg Tito:
...he automatically lost the game too...

Oh goddamn it!

When you do this with a Wii or Move it rests in the "that sucks knew it could happen" category. When you do this with a controlerless device... he's never going to live this down at work.

"Hey, Phil, high five" *Everyone else jumps to cover their monitors*

At least he didn't go blaming Microsoft for the whole incident.

He seems to be taking it quite well in fact.

..well.. that didn't take too long.

Does that make him the first Kinectard?

People of the world! Microsoft has brought us new innovation in the form of "Moving around!" So Ilet us begin with our ususal debauchary! Wii thought they had made a erfet remote until it slipped from your hand! How it is connects turn!

Let the accidents... BEGIN!!!

It's sound somewhat reasonable (although I would of been worry of my hands hitting the ceiling fan itself) compare to all the ones who "accidently" let go of the wii remote or just "forgot" to strap on.

Greg Tito:
So not only did Villarreal lose his TV, but he automatically lost the game too. That's just cold.

i feel so sorry that he lost that game...was probably for the championship...damn...

As long as he's not suing Microsoft for being a dumbass.

Cool that he isn't trying to blame Microsoft.

First i thought ''hmm, must have flapped his arms a bit to much''
after i readt i was like ''wtf?''.

Hahaha, fantastic. I'm looking forward to hearing more of these stories. I'd forgotten about when this kinda thing was happening when the Wii was released.

"causing it to die with a rainbow LCD teardrop dripping down from the impact wound." <--- totally made my day

No cords, no controllers, not even extraneous additions.
Utterly hardware free and people still manage horrible accidents.
How far can this industry go? Make something you play by thinking at it?

Gildan Bladeborn:
At least he seems to be a good sport about it! But seriously, that's hilarious.

Yeah, I can't imagine laughing at myself after that.

... Heh. Nice to see the guy's taking it well. Humorous, even.

On a somewhat related note, I'm looking forward to the torrent of rage spewing forth from all the people who are going to wreck their stuff while playing Kinect games.

LordCuthberton:
That guy is a fucking wordsmith. His description was awesome.

Feeling a bit of sympathy for him, but this accident has given him a small boost of fame, so it's sort of balanced. He might now get some regular readers of his blog from this accident!

maybe he'll get lucky and the publicity bump will provide the funds for a new TV

i wonder what the situation with accidental damage insurance is for this sort of thing.

Aww that sucks...but when it said he hit the fan with his arm, i was imagine it would say something along the lines of the fan chopping the guys arm off, and his arm flew into the TV and broke the screen.

:D

DAMN YOU! Greg made us all lose the game! [bawls]

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook