Over 65,000 StarCraft 2 Maps Uploaded to Battle.net

Over 65,000 StarCraft 2 Maps Uploaded to Battle.net

Since StarCraft 2 launched on July 27th, users have submitted a veritable buttload of maps to Battle.net.

Player-created content has long been a hallmark of Blizzard's realtime strategy games. Since WarCraft II: Tides of Darkness, Blizzard has provided a "Map Editor" for users to tinker with in-game assets and create interesting new maps. Such devotion to creative endeavors has kept fans interested in the game long after they've gotten bored with the content that Blizzard provides. And in 2003, several users contributed to a custom map for WarCraft III called Defense of the Ancients which spawned a whole new genre and a position at Valve for one of its creators.

StarCraft 2 was no different and launched with the powerful Galaxy Map Editor included on the disc. Creative StarCraft fans were quickly able to recreate World of WarCraft and Mario Kart while Blizzard included the Lost Vikings minigame in the StarCraft all using the Editor. It appears that these people were not alone.

In an investor conference call, CEO and President of Blizzard Mike Morhaime said that the fans of StarCraft 2 have used the editor provided with the game to create over 65,000 maps.

That's a lot of maps. And while not all of them are amazing, there is quite a lot of creativity being displayed. Blizzard announced that it would implement a store on Battle.net so that map-creators would be able charge money for other users to download and play their maps, but this has not yet been implemented.

Perhaps with the plethora of maps now available, that system will come soon and the creativity of these users can be rewarded. Only if their maps are any good, of course.

Source: Big Download

That's great, some of the maps/mods gamers come up with are truly inspired, in some cases better than what the actual developer was able to produce (ok, so they get points for making the engine hah). Yes, there are plenty of crap ones, but having a good ranking system makes those easy to avoid.

If they do charge to play some extra maps somebody made, I just hope it's a reasonable price, like no more than $1 per map. More than that and it's a total steal.

Charge to play user made maps... are they fucking mental?

Too bad the popularity list is the worst idea ever conceived by a game developer, much less one of blizzards caliber .

How the hell can this be a good thing due to the structure of the custom list? It is based on popularity meaning only around 1000 of those maps are actually played for real.

EDIT: Yeah, only Blizzard approved maps can actually be sold.

Notice that it said 'could'. It wasn't mentioned as mandatory for custom maps to be purchased. Talk about getting your panties in a bunch for nothing. As usual.

I can understand it being 10 or 15 cents a peice.
But if it starts to get over that im just going to quit playing SC2 all together.

Defense of the Ancients which spawned a whole new genre and a position at Valve for one of its creators.

AFAIK Icefrog is not one of the original creators, he is just the current maintainer. Even the "original" folks, Guinsoo and Pendragon, weren't the "creators", since it's all based on a game called Aeon of Strife, who's original creator I'm sure is a lost piece of history.

People do understand that the *map maker* decides whether or not to sell their maps, right?

John Funk:
People do understand that the *map maker* decides whether or not to sell their maps, right?

The issue is that some people are only interested in the main points of the article and since you put the clarification at the bottom it will not get attention nor read by them.

"Defense of the Ancients which spawned a whole new genre"
Areon of Strife was the first (popular one, at least). Dota wasn't especially good either, it's community is still the worst I have ever met (WTF NUB YOU CLICKED 0.002352 SECONDS LATE IM LEAVIN ****IN NUB).

"People do understand that the *map maker* decides whether or not to sell their maps, right?"
I'm sure blizzard respects this very highly, especially after they ban maps without any warning should they please (also revoking upload rights of the mapper. Sure would be fun spending months making a game and having it ruined for no told reason).

I modded wc3 for years and loved it, sc2 was supposed to be the holy grail of modding. I got into the beta and had an orgasm the editor was released. Heavily disappointed in it.

Awesome to see. I saw some really awesome ones on Youtube like the Starship Troopers one.

Since StarCraft 2 launched on July 27th, users have submitted a veritable buttload of maps to Battle.net.

The article could have safely ended here.

Windexglow:
"Defense of the Ancients which spawned a whole new genre"
Areon of Strife was the first

Argh NINJA! Yeah, AOS was first and every other map of that genre was called an AOS type map.

And I haven't played a single one of them. Hrm.

On the by, what's the map in the pic?

Robot Overlord:
Charge to play user made maps... are they fucking mental?

Agreed.

OT: I'm willing to bet that a lot of those are version updates or slightly altered variations.

65,000 maps and people only play ten of them...
Worst map list ever created. They had to make an effort to screw it up THIS BAD. Publishing maps is a hassle that doesn't make any sense either.
Little did I know it was all in preparation to charge people money for maps Blizzard didn't even make. For fuck's sake...

Dang, that's a lot of maps. I find the custom games of SCII to be it's strongest feature. Ahh, Nexus Wars!

redmarine:
snip

Hah, that would be nice if it were true. In reality, it means only 50 maps will be played at all, and only 20 of those will have people joining at an acceptable pace. You might have to wait hours for people to join for the rest of the 50 maps if you don't have friends to fill up the slots.

Let's be honest, out of the 63000 maps, about 300 ever got played more than once or twice due to the fucking horrible popularity system. It isn't that big a number, even. With the amount of people that bought it, it should've been over 200,000 had people shared the enthusiasm they had with, say, War3.

Second, if the maps were anywhere close to being worth paying money for and if people could actually play p2p, as opposed to only on Blizzard's servers (which fucks up the ping badly), I'd be behind that idea. As it is, on SC2 there are none, and probably never will be maps that are worth paying money for and Blizzard seems really adamant on their shitty philosophies with the way they want B.net 2.0 to work (including regional restrictions), so no, I'm not behind the marketplace one bit. Finally, if they really want people to be able to sell their maps, give them the creative freedom to stand out, the censorship has to go.

P.S. With that marketplace, they're instantly alienating at least half of their fanbase aswell, what with the youngsters not having credit cards or living in fucked up places where you have to go through a lot of shit to use them on the internet.

That's impressive by any community

I think that paid user maps would be a bad idea however, users should maybe allow people to make donations towards consistently good map makers

Encouraging good map makers to continue and for a general higher quality of maps

The Rockerfly:
snip

There's a genius idea. Do what Kongregate has done with their site. Allow donations and host weekly and monthly contests with a prize pool for highest rated maps.

Yes because charging for maps is new and fresh and reasonable. Of course there would never be maps that are charged for $5+ USD. Never.....

oh please, thats only because they have castrated the process so much that you pretty much HAVE to upload maps to test them or play them easily yourself.

probably just so they can brag about it in things like this... and of course, charge money for it...

you know what WAS great about you blizzard? for all your awesomeness, you were never arrogant, you never acted like the 'big corporate types'

to this day, I will never know why you merged with Activision.

None of this really matters cause only Blizzard can add maps to the ladder pool and the tournaments are only going to be played on maps in the ladder pool.

That said, i hope Blizzard will officially release the best user made maps, like Valve did with TF2. Make them part of the ladder and aid the maker with maintenance, if needed.

John Funk:

No, they do not. Reading is too hard for some on the internet.

65,000 maps...64,475 penises.

At least one part of that game is decent. I personally failed to find enjoyment with the multiplayer "ladders" and whilst I enjoyed parts of the single player and even attempted a marathon of it just so I could get "more into it" it just felt boring.

Mornelithe:
That's great, some of the maps/mods gamers come up with are truly inspired, in some cases better than what the actual developer was able to produce (ok, so they get points for making the engine hah). Yes, there are plenty of crap ones, but having a good ranking system makes those easy to avoid.

You do know that Blizzard actually hires those people who are brilliant and creative with their map design, yes? Because the editor they use is what Blizzard uses to create that entire game. I think it's an awesome way to reward the community and use those dedicated people as potential employees. Great stuff.

Straying Bullet:

You do know that Blizzard actually hires those people who are brilliant and creative with their map design, yes? Because the editor they use is what Blizzard uses to create that entire game. I think it's an awesome way to reward the community and use those dedicated people as potential employees. Great stuff.

Yeah, Media Molecule did the same thing with one of the better LBP map creators.

To bad that only the top 20 played ones will be the only ones played because of the completely retarded populerity system.

If the top played maps are the ones that are highest on the list they'll be the ones that players will try out... meaning that they'll just keep growing.

Also they could prolly get more maps if it wasn't for the fact that their editor is so badly designed, it might be powerfull but it's slow and the GUI ain't helping.

syltman:
To bad that only the top 20 played ones will be the only ones played because of the completely retarded populerity system.

If the top played maps are the ones that are highest on the list they'll be the ones that players will try out... meaning that they'll just keep growing.

Also they could prolly get more maps if it wasn't for the fact that their editor is so badly designed, it might be powerfull but it's slow and the GUI ain't helping.

Yeah, it's a shame. I usually only see the same 20-30 maps. I guess I'll have to drop by SC2Mapster more often. I've also heard that the editor isn't good for serious modders (who make intense changes, rather than small tweaks).

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.