Fallout: New Vegas Incremental Update Goes Live on Steam

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Fallout: New Vegas Incremental Update Goes Live on Steam

The "incremental update" for the PC version of Fallout: New Vegas that was promised last week is now available on Steam.

Fallout: New Vegas was a buggy mess when it came out back in October, suffering from issues ranging from the creepy but relatively harmless "Exorcist twist" all the way up to far-too-common show-stopper crashes. Bethesda promised to put out patches "as quickly as possible" just a day after the game launched and revealed yesterday that a big, "comprehensive" patch is in the works for all three platforms and should be out in the next few weeks. While we wait for that to happen, PC gamers can get a little bit of relief thanks to the 1.1.1 update that's now available on Steam.

The update fixes well over a dozen issues, including:

- Companions now show up as waypoints on the map
- Companions will always fast travel with you, unless told to wait or sent away
- Crafting menu should filter valid (bright) recipes to the top of the list
- Fix: DLC error/save corruption
- Fix: Stuttering with water effects
- Fix: Severe performance issues with DirectX.
- Fix: Controls temporarily disabled after reloading Cowboy Repeater while crouched
- Fixed crash using the Euclid C-Finder while having the Heave Ho perk
- Fix: Entering the strip after Debt Collector causes crash and autosave corruption
- Fix: Using Mojave Express dropbox can cause DLC warnings
- Fixed crash when buying duplicate caravan cards from a vendor in a single transaction
- Fix: Sitting down while looking down a weapon's ironsights leaves player control locked
- Fix: If a companion is knocked uncon. with broken limbs they stay broken on respawn
- Fix for varmint night scope effect persisting in kill cam.
- Fix for giving companions armor that adds STR does not increase their carry weight
- Fix NPC Repair menu displays DAM as DPS
- Having NPC repair service rifle with forged receiver decreases CND

It's kind of amazing, given the length of that list, that this is just a patch and not the patch. It also makes me happy that I decided to wait to play this thing until the worst of the bugs were squashed.

honestly, I didnt found any bugs at all

only one crash, but that was after 19 heart broken quickloads while trying to kill a freaking Death Claw Alpha Male with a single shot shotgun, a vermint rifle and a sledge hammer....

turns out I needed armor piercing ammo

Looking at the patch notes it doesn't look like they've fixed the game randomly crashing during the last level, so it's still unplayable for me.

That's good. I already have some mods to help this game along... like, you know, giving items a class (gun, food, aid, etc)

Can't believe they already have a patch out and F1 2010 still doesn't... boo!

The problems werent that bad. No more than to be expected by playing it on a PC. I tend to find that games have to be used in a certain way on PC, otherwise theyll crash or some random bug will occur.

Still, the main thing I want them to sort out are all the invisible walls. I know thatd be a massive task, but it really ruins the flow when you try to go up a curb and theres a 6 foot high imaginary wall.

Is there a fix for the 360 version freezing during loading in Vault 22?

I want my 30+ hour file back!

Guess I'd better fire up my main PC and see if the performance fix actually does me any good. I'm currently using a mod that tricks the game into thinking I have a worse graphics card than I actually have. It's about as sophisticated as opening a tight jar lid with a sledgehammer, but it does the trick...

seriously i have had no major bugs (PS3 version), except when it froze up a couple of times yesterday but thats probably because it was 28C and the console was startin to overheat

That's still not even half the bugs out there. Just look at most ofthe vault's articles that have anything to do with New Vegas, at the bottom of each one is a list of bugs that pertain to the subject of the article. For example ED-E "attacks non-aggressive NPCs" even when set on passive.
Hey, it's a start.

Edit: I hadn't noticed this before. The vault has a list of New Vegas bugs.

Thank god. I was one of the few where crashes and all that were flying left and right. I've had what, maybe 30 blue screens playing this?

BenzSmoke:
That's still not even half the bugs out there. Just look at the vault's articles that have anything to do with New Vegas, at the bottom of each one is a list of bugs that pertain to the subject of the article.

Yeah I noticed that too. You enter the FO:NV portal and the second link you see, right under the FAQs is a link to the Bugs page! It's quite depressing really, especially when you start to read about all the many ways you could involuntarily and somewhat irreversibly sabotage each different quest.

I haven't come across anything too bad on my 360 version. I have to turn the console off every half hour or so because the load times become unbareable after playing for that time. I have sent companions back to the lucky 38 only to find they have actually dissappeared from the entire game. There are some horrendus invisble walls which are just bad design choices and I've got stuck on the scenery more than a couple of times, being forced to re-load the game. Not to mention the various clipping issues and occasional graphical glitches.... oh ok, so I've actually come across quite a lot!

Hurry up with that 360 patch Obsidian!

I am really glad they are trying to fix NV, thanks Obsidian.

Er... if anything this has made stuff WORSE.

Before, not only did i have to MANUALLY set in my faction rep everytime i changed clothes, as well as having to check New Vegas gate every time i enter or exit to make sure it hasnt LOCKED ME OUT, as well as two quests bugging on me and making me lose two hours or more of playtime backtracking saves.....

.... i now log in to find that it is indiscriminately choosing which targets ive "killed" or decides to just make "unconcious"..... despite i use a GUN to kill them with.

I walked up to a giant radscorpion.... shot it to -zero- health.... and got a "giant radscorpion is unconcious" message.

To my horror... 2-3 seconds later it GETS UP, and starts attacking me again. And to add the crowning turd to the toiletbowl.... when i kill it, i get a slow motion replay of *me* dying, despite i was shooting it from *range* and it didnt hit me once.

Seriously.....

/golfclap

Obsidian..... even when they're trying to be helpful they make things worse.

Terrible company. I dont care if they make a follow up to New Vegas or make Fallout 4. The bugs and frustration of having to look up multiple solutions on the internet for multiple game-breaking bugs is NOT what i want out of a game.

Kotor 2... fool me once, shame on you, Obsidian. Fool me twice with New Vegas? Shame on me.

Shame for you you guys wont get a third time outta me.

Nothing about the NCR randomly deciding they don't like you anymore and that they will shoot you on sight even though you did nothing to offend them and were infact half way through the final act and trying to secure the dam for them i see.

Guess they are just ungrateful bastards and it wasn't a bug afterall.

This patch fixed my corrupted save (thanks, Vault 3!), so I'm happy with it.

Wuvlycuddles:
Nothing about the NCR randomly deciding they don't like you anymore and that they will shoot you on sight even though you did nothing to offend them and were infact half way through the final act and trying to secure the dam for them i see.

Guess they are just ungrateful bastards and it wasn't a bug afterall.

I could take a wild guess on this one. The game runs a constant check on faction alignments during the final battle so you can't accidentally turn all your allies hostile by shooting one in the head. Apparently the script threw a gear...

How about fixing the Come Fly With Me bug, where the finale of the quest is broken? Two hours of gameplay and build up ruined.

So Im playing the 360 version, and I hadn't really had any bugs, up until a couple nights ago. I am about 50+ hours into the game, and I fired it up, clicked Continue, only to have the load screen freeze. Restarted the 360, went to Load this time, and picked my file. Instead of freezing, a message popped up that says the save device is no longer present and loading was canceled. Did this for the hard save and the Autosave. I even copied the saves to USB and same thing happened. I was livid. So my whole point to this, has that happened to anyone else?

Wait. That control lock thing that got me wasted by Fiends innumerable times in Vault 3 is actually a well-documented bug?

Gee, I'm glad they're patching this stuff. Hopefully they get most of it gets me.

Starke:
I could take a wild guess on this one. The game runs a constant check on faction alignments during the final battle so you can't accidentally turn all your allies hostile by shooting one in the head. Apparently the script threw a gear...

I don't think that could be the case, my NCR playthrough was also my unarmed playthrough, i pretty much VATS uppercutted all the sissy skirt wearing legionaries. No stray bullets there. It basically kept breaking every time i left the dam to go across the top to the legion camp, every time the NCR soldiers would just turn around and start shooting me, playing through from an older save didn't help either or bringing along different companions. It ended up being my Mr House playthrough instead. Everything was fine for a fresh attempt however and it was on that attempt i wasted alot of legionaries and NCR soldiers with that Meltdown perk and the Alien lazor gun (and myself a few times, lol).

Wuvlycuddles:

Starke:

I don't think that could be the case, my NCR playthrough was also my unarmed playthrough, i pretty much VATS uppercutted all the sissy skirt wearing legionaries. No stray bullets there. It basically kept breaking every time i left the dam to go across the top to the legion camp, every time the NCR soldiers would just turn around and start shooting me, playing through from an older save didn't help either or bringing along different companions. It ended up being my Mr House playthrough instead. Everything was fine for a fresh attempt however and it was on that attempt i wasted alot of legionaries and NCR soldiers with that Meltdown perk and the Alien lazor gun (and myself a few times, lol).

Yeah, I didn't mean the script wasn't firing, just that its friend or foe identification went insane.

Starke:
Yeah, I didn't mean the script wasn't firing, just that its friend or foe identification went insane.

Ah, my bad, too early in the morning to think clearly.

But my original point still stands, its pretty bad that they didn't fix or mention the insanely game breaking bug. Seems to be only the NCR who do this, i've had the MPs and soldiers attack me on the strip with no provocation too.

Wuvlycuddles:

Starke:

Ah, my bad, too early in the morning to think clearly.

But my original point still stands, its pretty bad that they didn't fix or mention the insanely game breaking bug. Seems to be only the NCR who do this, i've had the MPs and soldiers attack me on the strip with no provocation too.

What's really weird about this is that I didn't experience it on my playthrough, and haven't heard of it... so there must be some other factor that's causing the problem.

Starke:
What's really weird about this is that I didn't experience it on my playthrough, and haven't heard of it... so there must be some other factor that's causing the problem.

Different versions maybe? I got mine from Direct2Drive for the PC

Wuvlycuddles:

Starke:

I doubt it. You still have to run it through steam, right?

Starke:

Wuvlycuddles:

Starke:

Of course, steam is the drm for New Vegas ain't it?

What i meant was i had the digital copy for pc, not a console version or pc dvd version.

Wuvlycuddles:

Starke:

Wuvlycuddles:

Of course, steam is the drm for New Vegas ain't it?

What i meant was i had the digital copy for pc, not a console version or pc dvd version.

Yeah, the PC DVD is steamworks as well. There's no non-steam version of the game for the PC... well, no legal non-steam version, anyway.

steverivers:
Er... if anything this has made stuff WORSE.

Before, not only did i have to MANUALLY set in my faction rep everytime i changed clothes, as well as having to check New Vegas gate every time i enter or exit to make sure it hasnt LOCKED ME OUT, as well as two quests bugging on me and making me lose two hours or more of playtime backtracking saves.....

.... i now log in to find that it is indiscriminately choosing which targets ive "killed" or decides to just make "unconcious"..... despite i use a GUN to kill them with.

I walked up to a giant radscorpion.... shot it to -zero- health.... and got a "giant radscorpion is unconcious" message.

To my horror... 2-3 seconds later it GETS UP, and starts attacking me again. And to add the crowning turd to the toiletbowl.... when i kill it, i get a slow motion replay of *me* dying, despite i was shooting it from *range* and it didnt hit me once.

Seriously.....

/golfclap

Obsidian..... even when they're trying to be helpful they make things worse.

Terrible company. I dont care if they make a follow up to New Vegas or make Fallout 4. The bugs and frustration of having to look up multiple solutions on the internet for multiple game-breaking bugs is NOT what i want out of a game.

Kotor 2... fool me once, shame on you, Obsidian. Fool me twice with New Vegas? Shame on me.

Shame for you you guys wont get a third time outta me.

Judging from the amounts of joy radiating from this post I would assume some-one really got shafted by the larger end of the aluminium bat while playing New Vegas.

While I havent had these issues I've had other rather irritating problems like being stuck in Vats mode for over a minute, being able to fire, aim or enter VATS after reloading a Hunting Shotgun and various other tidbits xD
Its a great game but there's so many BUGS.. Some-one PLEASE call in the Starship Troopers already!!

Kinda sad, when I first ran it I had a problem with directx compatibility which caused the game to lag like no other. There was an independent fix for that I downloaded before this patch that fixed my FPS issues, haven't had a chance to try the patch, I hope it doesn't conflict with anything and cause that bloody lag again. I couldn't get in one conversation without the whole game slowing down. Then again, I still have a problem where it keeps resetting my damn quicksaves and autosaves to the first ones I ever made. If the game crashes, which it's done several times randomly, in order to actually keep my autosave or quicksave I have to do a couple of stupid extra steps in order just to carry on where I left off, and if I forget to do it I then I just lose that file permenantly. Although I for some reason haven't had any of the odd bugs with NPC's doing weird things and going hostile as a few people mentioned..

teh_Canape:
honestly, I didnt found any bugs at all

only one crash, but that was after 19 heart broken quickloads while trying to kill a freaking Death Claw Alpha Male with a single shot shotgun, a vermint rifle and a sledge hammer....

turns out I needed armor piercing ammo

AP ammo or a sniper rifle. Preferably both, though. And if you make that a silenced sniper rifle and add a Stealth Boy to the mix... you'll just be trolling the poor things.

Anyway... I managed to avoid most of the serious bugs. There were a few scripting bugs here and there, though, that made it difficult or impossible to finish certain low-priority quests.

Oh, and the occasional crashes, but I saved often enough for it to not be a problem.

EDIT: Oh, right, I did also run into an issue with really strong enemies (like deathclaws and cazadors) going unconscious rather than dying on my new character. I figure it's because I'm so low-level that the game deems me not capable of killing them... but, dammit, that's why god gave me plasma mines! (Or, rather, that's why I'm glad I ran to New Vegas at lv.1 and stole some mines from the Silver Rush.)

JediMB:
AP ammo or a sniper rifle. Preferably both, though. And if you make that a silenced sniper rifle and add a Stealth Boy to the mix... you'll just be trolling the poor things.

Anyway... I managed to avoid most of the serious bugs. There were a few scripting bugs here and there, though, that made it difficult or impossible to finish certain low-priority quests.

Oh, and the occasional crashes, but I saved often enough for it to not be a problem.

I have kinda just started playing it, and so far I only have the Vermint, the Single Shot, the 9mm and a 357

and I already wasted both stealth-boys I had

used one to get sneak into the quarry, and the second one to sneak out of the quarry =P

may I ask you where's the Item Management 101 class?

teh_Canape:

JediMB:

I have kinda just started playing it, and so far I only have the Vermint, the Single Shot, the 9mm and a 357

and I already wasted both stealth-boys I had

used one to get sneak into the quarry, and the second one to sneak out of the quarry =P

may I ask you where's the Item Management 101 class?

Ooh... I'm just going to advise you to stay away from the deathclaw-populated areas on lower levels.

Hell, I'm pretty sure I went to the quarry earlier than I should have, but did alright thanks to the sniper rifle and because I did some rock climbing that made the deathclaws unable to reach me while I patiently gunned them down. =P

JediMB:
Hell, I'm pretty sure I went to the quarry earlier than I should have, but did alright thanks to the sniper rifle and because I did some rock climbing that made the deathclaws unable to reach me while I patiently gunned them down. =P

I did that same thing too, but then I ran out of ammo

that's where I jumped down and went bob the builder on their faces with the sledge hammer....

and thus the frustration began

teh_Canape:

JediMB:

I did that same thing too, but then I ran out of ammo

that's where I jumped down and went bob the builder on their faces with the sledge hammer....

and thus the frustration began

Ah. Yeah, at that point I'd just see if stealth-hiding up there would make them lose interest, and then make it back to Sloan. I wouldn't want to challenge a deathclaw in close-combat unless I'm exploiting random critical hits in Fallout 1/2... or have a character dedicated to that style of combat... which I'm working on now.

more proof that the only thing Bethesda is good at is Elder Scrolls games. Leave the fps rpg games to someone else....like gearbox

Fallout 1&2 were both rts....both sold amazingly well....why did you break my heart?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here