Kevin Butler Brings PSN Video Delivery to the Canadese

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Kevin Butler Brings PSN Video Delivery to the Canadese

Sony Vice President of Yes We Canada Kevin Butler is advising Canadese people everywhere to hold on to their mustaches, because the PlayStation Network Video Delivery Service is now available in the Great White North.

The Video Delivery Service on PSN lets PS3 owners download full-length movies, television shows and even original programming, much of it in high definition, but while it's been out in the United States since mid-2008 and appeared in various European countries in 2009, those of us who make our homes in the land of the Mother Maple Tree have had to do without. Until now!

Today, the one and only Kevin Butler crossed one more item off the list of 66 things he wants to accomplish during his first year as PlayStation VP, item 35 to be precise: "Bring the Video Delivery Service to PlayStation Network in Canada." It was a tough task, hampered by the Metric system and weird currency, but the job is done and the PS3 is now, in Butler's words, the most useful thing in Canadian households next to the snow shovel.

On behalf of all Canadians, I'd like to say thanks, Kev. You're the greatest! I just hope we don't get too confused by all that American-language programming.

Good news for Canada! Though... you know... this news doesn't actually affect little English me in any way, shape or form whatsoever :P

So damn racist, but so damn funny.

O.O

HE HAS ACCOMPLISHED TIME TRAVEL?

Alright that was hilarious, but I have to ask him something as a Canadian, where's the eh in all that; I was hoping that would be the stinger

Wait... Defeat Zeus? Time Travel? Supercar? Bring Sexy Back? Housetrain Ratchet? Perfect Flan Recipe?

Where are these videos and how many organs must I offer to Butler (VP of PS3 Occult Rituals) to get them?

I am Canadian... and I am holding my mustache as we speak!

On behalf of Canada does the US really believe that Canadians appreciate being made the butt of a giant joke of an advertising campaign? I can understand this is how you market to an American audience but when you're trying to win over a nation, racially insensitive jokes are not really effective...

Sure we laugh at things like South Park Canadians because we understand it's satire and really making fun of the people who believe such nonsense. Seriously this is just Sony's gangsta squirrel crap all over again.

Wandrecanada:
On behalf of Canada does the US really believe that Canadians appreciate being made the butt of a giant joke of an advertising campaign? I can understand this is how you market to an American audience but when you're trying to win over a nation, racially insensitive jokes are not really effective...

Sure we laugh at things like South Park Canadians because we understand it's satire and really making fun of the people who believe such nonsense. Seriously this is just Sony's gangsta squirrel crap all over again.

Well, considering all the other Canadians in this thread who seem to have gotten some laughs out of it, I'd say it has been generally effective. Furthermore, I'd venture a statement that you are being oversensitive to some blatant, over-the-top exaggeration of every silly stereotype Sony could think of.

As a minor note, are you seriously claiming to speak for the entirety of Canada, and accusing the entirety of the US? I genuinely thought you must be joking at first because of how ridiculous that is.

As I Canadian, I found it hilarious, as stereotypical as it was. These ads actually make me want a PS3.

Not G. Ivingname:
O.O

HE HAS ACCOMPLISHED TIME TRAVEL?

Yep.

OT: Well good for Canadians I guess. I never used the stuff, since I prefer just renting videos.

double post, ignore

But where do you pour the syrup in to activate the system? Can't have no operational machinery without no syrup, eyh?

Aboot.

OT: Great for Canadianese, though I personally don't use the video services, can't be bothered to. Still great news.

That whiteboard in his office is amazing, I would love to know #45.

(you)<----------------------------------------------------------> (the joke)

Yes, I'm Canadian. I got the humor.

And, for the folks out there saying this is "racist" - can you tell me when a Canadian "race" appeared? I ask, because it may come as a shock to my friends of color (that'd be red, black, yellow and brown, respectively) that they are of the Canadian "race" now.

I believe the word you're looking for is "nationalist". "Narrow-minded" would work.

Me, I'm gonna go with "#$%&-ing funny".

First off being Canadian makes you the member of a specificity nation not the member of a specific race. So this isn't racism. Culturally insensitive maybe, but not racism.

Second, maybe it hasn't been gleaned from his other commercials, but Kevin Butler is a moron, as well as kind of a dick. I see no difference between this and the South Park situation that was mentioned. All the commercial is demonstrating is that Kevin Butler is an even bigger dick and 30 times more moronic then previously shown.

There's only one response to any KB video.
EPIC.

Tron-tonian:
humor. color

Huh. I always thought Canada used the British spellings. Good to know, I guess.

Wandrecanada:

As a Canadian, as can say that most Canadians will find this hilarious. Canadian humour can be self-referential at times (See Bob & Doug McKenzie), often moreso than American counterparts.

The poke about the bird as president? Amazing.

deth2munkies:

When were Canadians a race?

Still quite amusing. Although not as funny or charming as usual commercials.

Wandrecanada:

Are you serious dude? Wait....are you from Toronto? Cause as I said above here, I found this video hilarious, I don't care if it took the piss out of us, because I take the piss outta the Yanks; its all in good fun so please for the rest of Canada, please pull that stick out of your ass...then go play some hockey with it...eh

Ubermetalhed:

deth2munkies:

Since I declared them one.

deth2munkies:

Ubermetalhed:

deth2munkies:

Since I declared them one.

Well that clears that up then...

Wandrecanada:

Have you not seen any of the other Kevin Butler ads? This one fits right in, confident in the fact that enough of us can embrace our national stereotypes as jokes and not get our panties in a twist over them for it to work.

Wandrecanada:
'Canadian Representation'

RoBi3.0:
'Uptightness'

Gently remove the stick from your asses. You will now find jokes more enjoyable and sitting much, much easier.

In all seriousness guys they are poking fun at Canada, stop being so uptight about it. I found the commercial hilarious because I like a good jabbing, keep up the good work KB ^^

Yeah, we've has a bird as our president... What of it? We've also had polar bears, caribou, and beavers. Hell, we've even had a maple leaf as president! And a god damn boat!

PS: Is he making fun Canadian stereotypes? Or is he REALLY making fun of the stereotype that Americans don't know anything aboot Canada?

Shapsters:

Wandrecanada:
'Canadian Representation'

RoBi3.0:
'Uptightness'

Gently remove the stick from your asses. You will now find jokes more enjoyable and sitting much, much easier.

In all seriousness guys they are poking fun at Canada, stop being so uptight about it. I found the commercial hilarious because I like a good jabbing, keep up the good work KB ^^

Suppose it wasn't clear, but I thought the commercial was hilarious. I find Kevin Butler completely laugh out loud funny. I have almost every one of his commercials saves on my PlayStation. That still doesn't change the fact that sometimes he acts like a moron and is kind of a dick. When done right those to things are fraking funny. KB does it right.

Being Canadian I love a good Canada joke... but not when Americans make them.
I also don't really like Kevin Butler. I don't think his ads are that funny or clever, yet everyone worships him like he's a legendary comedian instead of a formulated ad salesman devised to gain Sony more sales and money.

Wandrecanada:

Make... *slam*... It... *slam*... Stop... It hurts...

Is it stereotyping us? yes.

is it funny regardless? well, it IS Kevin Butler.

"hampered by the Metric system"
Yer because no one in europe uses the metric system. Actually one of the only countries to have only have a partial adoption is the uk.

dbmountain:

PS: Is he making fun Canadian stereotypes? Or is he REALLY making fun of the stereotype that Americans don't know anything aboot Canada?

I like to imagine the later. After all he's a PR guy, so he'll most likely overdo something and make a fool of himself :P.

Aidinthel:

Tron-tonian:
humor. color

Huh. I always thought Canada used the British spellings. Good to know, I guess.

They do. If he's Canadian, he made a typo.

Ubermetalhed:

deth2munkies:

Still quite amusing. Although not as funny or charming as usual commercials.

The same day Americans were a race.

:D
In case humour isn't translated over well in text, this is a joke.

*edit

Wandrecanada:
On behalf of myself does the US really believe that Canadians appreciate being made the butt of a giant joke of an advertising campaign? I can understand this is how you market to an American audience but when you're trying to win over a nation, racially insensitive jokes are not really effective...

Sure I laugh at things like South Park Canadians because we understand it's satire and really making fun of the people who believe such nonsense. Seriously this is just Sony's gangsta squirrel crap all over again.

Fixed.

Wandrecanada:

*cough* speak for yourself stiff shirt *cough*

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or