Treyarch: Black Ops Exploiters Are "Douchebags"

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Treyarch: Black Ops Exploiters Are "Douchebags"

Treyarch's game design director has some colorful words for the exploiters taking advantage of Black Ops glitches.

Call of Duty: Black Ops is evidently not without its share of early bugs that online players are taking advantage of, but Treyarch wants everyone to know it's watching. In a recent post on the Black Ops forums, Treyarch design director David Vonderhaar told exploiters of these bugs to think twice or face possible consequences.

He also called them "douchebags." Vonderhaar's opinion is that the players showing off glitches are just trying to become "internet nerd famous" and that the best thing to do is ignore them. "Internet hysteria from normal people is exactly what they want and that's how many people reacted today," he wrote.

Though he says he'd personally ban exploiters if he could, Vonderhaar points out that Treyarch has a "well-managed" team that is working to take care of the game's issues instead. "We said we would support the game," he continued. "We are going to support it."

Treyarch recently asked gamers to report any Black Ops glitches that are found to help get rid of early issues as soon as possible. Vonderhaar wants players to know that Treyarch cares, but it'd rather fix bugs than talk about them on forums to popularize exploiters. "I'm not going to talk about it publicly," he added. "We are disinterested in making mini-celebrities out of douchebags. You better think twice before you glitch. You never know who in your game doesn't like glitchers who reports you and saves the game in their File Share and tells us about it."

With the ability of players to save screenshots and video of matches, it's less smart than ever to use bugs to get ahead in Black Ops. You don't want to be a "douchebag," right?

Source: Black Ops Forums

Good job Treyarch! I am starting to like them. :D

'he'd personally ban exploiters if he could'

Amen.

I hope they are able to stay on top of this.

Is he nuts?

Its tradition!

Ive been calling exploiters douchebags for years! and noone made a newspost about me :(

I would really like to see more games adopt a policy of banning exploiters and giving the means to do so in a verifiable fashion. They really ruin the game play for others.

I was playing on PS3 with my friend yesterday and it said that over 7k people had already achieved Prestige, this was at around 7pm, not even a full day of the game being out, HOW IN THE HELL IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE!!!!!

Korten12:

Yeah. I bought Black Ops for Nazi Zombies, but seeing the campaign and multiplayer, I'm actually starting to forgive Treyarch for World at War.

I'll pass final verdict when I finish the CoOp campaign with three friends on Saturday, but so far it's a damn fine product if I do say so myself.

Good thing they care about their games and their customers who bought the game.

Is it wrong to say we need more companies that aren't afraid to call exploiters "douchebags"?

accurate potrayal of Treyarch while watching exploit and glitch videos:

OT: I haven't seen many glitches, but with already, possibly over, 500 people that prestige'd, there has to be some.

Sober Thal:

Amen.

I'm really interested as to what kind of glitches those are. If it's something minor, I really doubt it's reasonable to advocate bans for having fun with something the developers themselves fucked up on.

I can see this guy visiting people's homes Jay and Silent Bob style:

"Are you n00bpwner69?"
"Yes."
*WHACK* "Douchebag."

CCountZero:

Korten12:

Yeah. I bought Black Ops for Nazi Zombies, but seeing the campaign and multiplayer, I'm actually starting to forgive Treyarch for World at War.

I'll pass final verdict when I finish the CoOp campaign with three friends on Saturday, but so far it's a damn fine product if I do say so myself.

theirs only zombie co-op, no campaign co-op.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-09-13-no-campaign-co-op-for-cod-black-ops

"Cue Piracy ad"

You wouldn't by gold
You wouldn't use a trainer
You wouldn't exploit glitches

Taking advantages of lacking code is being a doucebag

*offers highfive to the ex-employers of his uncle*

Now THAT is the way to deal with cheaters!

ciortas1:

Sober Thal:

Amen.

I'm really interested as to what kind of glitches those are. If it's something minor, I really doubt it's reasonable to advocate bans for having fun with something the developers themselves fucked up on.

I look at it like this: if your exploiting a bug, you should be punished. I imagine if you just happen upon a glitch, it won't anger them, but it's the constant kinda exploiting that gets me pissed.

Am I the only one that thinks 'If you'd bothered to sufficiently playtest this game and ensure it was glitch free instead of releasing it before it was finished (like almost every other bloody game that's come out in the last 5 years), then glitching wouldn't be a problem'?

I don't glitch, I prefer to act fairly in a game, but I mean seriously, you bring out a product which isn't properly designed/built and then blame others for using it in ways you should have foreseen/safeguarded against? That's a joke right?

ciortas1:

Sober Thal:

Amen.

There's a difference between finding glitches and reporting them and finding glitches and exploiting them, one results in cheating, the other not so much...

Korten12:

Its enough to forgive them for the crap of World at War

Vault boy Eddie:
I was playing on PS3 with my friend yesterday and it said that over 7k people had already achieved Prestige, this was at around 7pm, not even a full day of the game being out, HOW IN THE HELL IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE!!!!!

I heard a story that a gamestop was robbed at gunpoint for all of its copies of Black Ops. That and Treyarch leaking copies to friends, and people boosting from friends....

and #4><0|2Z. definately teh #4><0|2Z

Korten12:
There's only zombie co-op, no campaign co-op.

Excuse me when I say; GARD DAMNIT!

I was looking forward to playing that with my mates >.<

Oh well... while I will certainly mourn that sad, sad fact, I maintain that Zombies retain the ability to keep the game on my computer until my drive crashes or a better Zombie game is released.

Kalezian:
accurate potrayal of Treyarch while watching exploit and glitch videos:

OT: I haven't seen many glitches, but with already, possibly over, 500 people that prestige'd, there has to be some.

TO YOU SIR! I TIP MY HAT AT YOU!

Tim Latshaw:

"Are you n00bpwner69?"
"Yes."
*WHACK* "Douchebag."

Fucking YES!

OT: I knew Treyarch was a great dev the first time I played Waw... ^_^

Tim Latshaw:

"Are you n00bpwner69?"
"Yes."
*WHACK* "Douchebag."

That was one of the best parts of that movie.

It's good that they're taking more interest in fixing the bugs. I don't play the game, and I don't mind people glitching in mine (I don't glitch), but I can see how it would take the fun away for some people.

starrman:
Am I the only one that thinks 'If you'd bothered to sufficiently playtest this game and ensure it was glitch free instead of releasing it before it was finished (like almost every other bloody game that's come out in the last 5 years), then glitching wouldn't be a problem'?

I don't glitch, I prefer to act fairly in a game, but I mean seriously, you bring out a product which isn't properly designed/built and then blame others for using it in ways you should have foreseen/safeguarded against? That's a joke right?

Ya know, thats a nice sentiment and all...but do me a favor would ya? Name one AAA title that has come out in say the last three years that hasnt had any bugs in it. I cant think of one myself, but maybe you'll have better luck.

I'm beginning to think that Treyarch must be reading my mind or something because pretty much everything that annoyed me about previous CoDs is being rectified, I m now pretty damn interested to see what they do next (maybe they'll mention the bit where I wish I could have a boltgun).

shintakie10:

Ya know, thats a nice sentiment and all...but do me a favor would ya? Name one AAA title that has come out in say the last three years that hasnt had any bugs in it. I cant think of one myself, but maybe you'll have better luck.

I'm not sure I see your point, we agree there isn't one already...

Now please fix the PC version of the game for me.

Tim Latshaw:

"Are you n00bpwner69?"
"Yes."
*WHACK* "Douchebag."

lolz
love that movie

but seriously now that there is a theater we can all learn the glitches and become a douchebag army

starrman:

shintakie10:

I'm not sure I see your point, we agree there isn't one already...

Well...that is my point. Bringin up the line "properly code and test your games first" is really moot at this point. Very very few games ever get released completely bug free and a number of the bugs in games can be exploited. No matter how large your team is bugs slip through every single net you make to stop them. Just be glad we're not in the days of old (or if you have a wii <.<) and actually have a way to update games to fix bugs.

Treyarch, seriously, stop saying stuff that is so hilariously awesome that makes me want to buy your game...

Great news. This might actually convince me to buy the game. It was a major problem in the last few times I played MW2.

Treyarch cares. And I like dev's that care.

Good on them for having a quick response about this stuff.

Mullahgrrl:
Is he nuts?

Its tradition!

True. It's a tradition in every online game. Mind it though - it's about exploiters, not cheaters.

Here is my worthless opinion: Yes, players who exploit glitches in multiplayer are douchebags. If you are the one responsible for the glitch that is being exploited, however, you don't get to blame the exploiters for your own cock-ups.

Fix the bugs, suspend the exploiters and strip their ill-gotten rewards, and commit your company to continue fixing, suspending, stripping away, and banning for repeat offenders... but don't try to blame the exploiters for the bugs in your game. That kinda makes you a douchebag, too.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here