Creepy Japanese Robot Can Really Dance

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Creepy Japanese Robot Can Really Dance

Japanese robotics experts from AIST demonstrated the HRP-4C android dancing with human counterparts and the performance is impressive, if still a bit hard to watch.

The HRP-4C is clearly a native of Uncanny Valley, but this performance at the Digital Content Expo in Tokyo isn't terrible. The robot dances and sways to the awful J Pop song, backed by a quartet of real humans whose choreography doesn't quite match up but at least complements the movements of the HRP-4C. The performance took over a year of preparations by the robot's creators and Japanese choreographer, SAM-san. Without further ado, I present to you: Dance Robot LIVE! - HRP-4C Cybernetic Human.

Humans have been searching for a machine that can pass as one of them for a long time. From Homer's The Iliad, which describes the Greek god Hephaestus being aided by "golden maidservants" in the crafting of Achilles' armor to the modern nerd's affection for Lieutenant Data on Star Trek The Next Generation, such androids have long been a fascination. While robotics has moved forward in the 21st century so that we are unfazed by them building our cars or one cleaning our floors, unfortunately, the technology to recreate lifelike movement in human-shaped robots hasn't been so successful. That doesn't mean that roboticists have stopped trying, and the HRP-4C is just another step closer.

Wait, we have an incoming transmission ... brch ... For the love of Pete, somebody stop them! Not only will the robot overlords attack us with machine guns and nuclear weapons, but they will also dance us to death with freakishly long hands and jerky movements. No one is safe while they are allowed to manufacture HRP-4Cs. There are thousands of them. Thous--- ... brchcchhhhhhh ...

Transmission ends.

Source: Pink Tentacle

So tell me, HRP-4C, are you by chance a 'pleasure model'?

Oh hell, I made myself shudder :(

This will make doing the robot at the clubs a little easier. Thank you AIST.

The sooner they start walking at speeds similar to humans and capable of using opposable thumbs, the sooner the demise of humanity.

Oh, a hive mind would also be needed, but we (hopefully) aren't that dumb.

Japan, why don't you do something useful with your robotics. This is stupid, and kind of scary.

This is scary why are her hands so big. :'C

DEAR GOD KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!

I really can't put into human words the sheer terror I feel when I look into its dead soulless eyes and I know that the end has begun.
Soon those dead eyes will be staring us down the end of a gun barrel, as the cleansing of the organic starts

First thing that came to mind lol.

Kinda Terrifying. Good thing i don't dance or else i would have robotic competition.

Icehearted:

Oh hell, I made myself shudder :(

Lol. Well, somehow it does not strike me as being anatomically correct. ;p

So it depends on what you mean by 'pleasure'.

Still, they're starting to get somewhere with robotics aren't they?

The future might actually happen. XD

They sort out the hands, legs and make the movement smoother and robots will be blending in more than... some regular person.
Yeah. Points. I'm so good at getting them across.

The uncanny valley has never been so whimsical.

Mmmm...kinda disappointing, was expecting it to break dance or something...ahh well

That was quite creepy, I mean who would actually want to dance to such a terrible song?

I'm sure there was something else I wanted to say, but I'm too distracted by the fact that the backup dancers have tunics that are way too short and not really secured...

Icehearted:

Lame.

I love that episode. Just hilarious.

More on topic: It's creepy, yet intriguing all that the same time. This has got to be the smoothest robot movement I've ever seen. And then they put a woman's head on it and a dress, and it got really awkward. Still: Very cool tech.

and now serious
I wonder if she can do the robot
PS that looks kinda scary and weird like something from a sci-fi movie this dips REALY deep in the uncanny valley
PPS the movements look realy smooth with technology like this you could make a robot servant (think something like Robotic butlers)I hope this doesnt end like Terminator or The Matrix

That's not creepy. Like, at all.

It's good that we are getting closer to mastering this kind of thing. Then it will be easier to teach our new sentient friends how to walk :)

The face was a bit weird, but other that, I was not effected by the Uncanny Valley effect. Other then that, I don't care about Dancing Robots. Make a sentient Robot, and then I'll give a huge damn.

Oh god... the hands...

Why did they do that to her hands?!

Actually, it wasn't bad for a robot, but seriously... those hands...

Robots officially have more funk than I do.

Oh Joy..

I wouldn't really call what it's doing dancing. It's slightly wobbling while waving it's arms in circles. Maybe this constitutes a dance in Japan, what do I know?

Baby Tea:

Icehearted:

Lame.

I love that episode. Just hilarious.

More on topic: It's creepy, yet intriguing all that the same time. This has got to be the smoothest robot movement I've ever seen. And then they put a woman's head on it and a dress, and it got really awkward. Still: Very cool tech.

lol, have a cookie, my friend.

It's nothing more than an animatronic poppet with a strange mask on it, so sure the thing is creepy and makes us want to destroy it. On the other hand, considering that a while ago Honda (I think) had a robot that couldn't even walk a flight of stairs without tumbling over. We're coming along on things like motor skills and pewrhaps sometime soon even proper articulation, but as far as anything else, it seems a given these things will take decades before they look like Dean Stockwell and Grace Park and want to destroy their masters.

I once had to a save a woman and her unborn child from a HRP-4C.

-edit I wonder how many times they had to start over during practice runs because either it fell over, got of tempo or froze?

Creepy. The blank, soulless expression. The giant, frozen hands. The arms that you can't see but you KNOW they are nothing but metal bars and wires. The way her left shoulder bends at the end that is not quite how a shoulder is supposed to bend. This thing resides deep in the Uncanny Valley, and I wish it would descend from whence it came.

CannibalRobots:
Robots officially have more funk than I do.

Oh Joy..

You said it...Damn it a ROBOT can dance better then me...

OT: Well shit...Arent we going forward with robot tech lately? I do hope we will get sentient machines in my lifetime. Atleast non hostile.

The robot has man hands...MY BRAIN!

Ekonk:
Japan, why don't you do something useful with your robotics. This is stupid, and kind of scary.

Well, if the Space Channel 5 aliens ever invade Earth, I know who I'm betting on.

Raykuza:
Creepy. The blank, soulless expression. The giant, frozen hands. The arms that you can't see but you KNOW they are nothing but metal bars and wires. The way her left shoulder bends at the end that is not quite how a shoulder is supposed to bend. This thing resides deep in the Uncanny Valley, and I wish it would descend from whence it came.

Oh wait, you're talking about the robot.

I thought you meant Lady Gaga.

This'd be a lot more impressive without the human backup dancers showing her up.

It's ability to shift it's weight from one foot to the other seemed pretty impressive, but the overall performance was pretty lame.

Well, its a step up for animatronics or whatever its called when you have a robot simulate movement.

It's still in the uncanny valley though.

Also, inb4, "...but can I fuck it?"

Wait thats a lie. Well, I tried.

Well that was pretty unimpressive. What a waste of money.

Holy shit. That's all I got.

The balance the robot has is outstanding. Too bad they worked so hard just to make something so... disturbing :s

Why does everyone seem to aspire to make a human-looking robot?

Oh look, another obligatory 'robot overlords' joke in robot news. How fun and new.

Honestly, what use is this? What possible use do we have for a dancing robot other than novelty? Show me one that can eviscerate a tree in a few seconds, or de fuse a bomb, and I'll clap. But this? Are our Role Models so fabricated that we would replace them with robots?

Darn you, Tito. My professor JUST covered this in class tonight. The Japanese student said he was embarrassed by it.

Ekonk:

Progress is made through steps. Japan is working backwards through these steps by first making a robot that can dance, then refining it to a point where it is much faster and more precise in its movements. Basically taking care of the stupidest use, and through that making it much better for a more practical purposes.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here