Rumor: Guillermo del Toro Developing Interdimensional RPG Epic

Rumor: Guillermo del Toro Developing Interdimensional RPG Epic

Guillermo del Toro is rumored to be developing a videogame series along the lines of Mass Effect.

Movie director, writer, and producer Guillermo del Toro loves videogames so much that he's making his own. Del Toro hasn't made an official announcement yet, but we do know he's got big plans for a series that will come out of THQ in 2-3 years, and that it'll have horror elements. Though an announcement will be made at this year's Spike TV Video Game Awards in December, information has a way of leaking out early, as may be the case with some details from the future reveal.

If an anonymous source at MMOMFG "close to the project" can be believed, del Toro has set out to make the next big RPG trilogy. The source confirms that del Toro visited THQ subsidiary Volition this week, the studio behind Saint's Row and Red Faction.

Del Toro's RPG trilogy is said to be "along the lines of Mass Effect," BioWare's sci-fi RPG epic. The plot is rumored to revolve around interdimensional travel, with players tasked to travel through portals and close them.

When del Toro said that his game series would be "horror," I'm sure most people's minds went to something closer to Resident Evil. If this rumor rings true, and it definitely could turn out not to, del Toro is putting together something more along the lines of Dead Space with some Elder Scrolls: Oblivion mixed in. In my opinion, Dead Space plus Mass Effect equals good. We'll see if the source is right, or just a damn liar, next month.

Source: MMOMFG

Sound as a pound. If this is half as good as his films, it will be awesome.

Too good to be true. An RPG. With a solid story. With a reasonably original setting. Directed by a man with true talent. It's either flat out not true or there's a catch of some kind. I just refuse to believe that something this good can happen just like that.

Jandau:
Too good to be true. An RPG. With a solid story. With a reasonably original setting. Directed by a man with true talent. It's either flat out not true or there's a catch of some kind. I just refuse to believe that something this good can happen just like that.

You pretty much covered what i was gonna say, i just hope it actually ends up as good as it sounds.

A mass effect style RPG with horror elements? Where do I sign up?

They had me up until the "action horror" stuff.

I guess I'm the only one suffering from zombie overload

Interdimensional? For a second I was thinking this was going to end up being Super C`thulu RPG: Legend of the sleeping city.

Oh well, someday.

I know he's wanted to get into making Mountains of Madness, The Hobbit, and now this. I like where his head's at.

When I read the title of this topic I began to salivate uncontrollably all over my keyboard...

Could someone hand me a mop?

I adored Mass Effect for the way it handled interdimensional Role Playing.

If he can top that franchise with better space exploration and freelance quests, I'm totally game!

And now this RPG nerd is absolutely ecstatic. WOOHOO!

Traveling between dimensions closing off the portals that join them? Well I guess a His Dark Materials RPG could work... I'm just doubting that it will work after the disaster that was the film.

Did I see the words "interdimensional RPG epic"? Oh hell yes - there can never be too many of those! Now to see if there is any veracity to these claims before I formally start resenting the future for not sharing its bounty with me.

How the heck is he going to work his puppetry into a videogame?

"interdimensional RPG epic" .... "Guillermo del Toro"

Going to be so good.

Gildan Bladeborn:
Did I see the words "interdimensional RPG epic"? Oh hell yes - there can never be too many of those! Now to see if there is any veracity to these claims before I formally start resenting the future for not sharing its bounty with me.

I don't quite know of any Inter-dimensional RPGs let alone epic ones. This does sound like a good idea. Well Tabula Rasa or what ever the game was called, that sucked huge had something to with that.

If I had to pick anyone to trust with such an ambitious project, he'd be on the short short list. Looking forward to see what his deliciously twisted mind can come up with.

I love Del Toro's instinct when it comes to design. He's like an evil Tim Burton. Definitely looking forward to developments on this.

And here I was thinking "Mass Effect + Event Horizon + The Longest Journey" :evilgrin:

Interdimensional? Horror Elements? I smell Lovecraft...

I really enjoyed most of Del Toro's later films (they're certainly not all gems) and I'd agree he has a flair for atmosphere and good taste in design. Still, I fail to understand the excitement here. I mean the man is a talented director of movies but does he really have the chops or even the skillset required to design/produce a good video game? Particularly a genre as notoriously difficult and taxing as the RPG?

Chorizo sausage and artisanal, bailies flavored ice-cream: 2 things I also love, but which won't be my 2 sandwich fillings of choice anytime soon.

viranimus:
Interdimensional? For a second I was thinking this was going to end up being Super C`thulu RPG: Legend of the sleeping city.

Oh well, someday.

My thoughts as well, and I don't see anything except wild guesswork and speculation saying anything to disprove it. So here's hoping for Cthulhu RPG trilogy =)

Tibike77:
And here I was thinking "Mass Effect + Event Horizon + The Longest Journey" :evilgrin:

I would play that. I would gladly pay good money to play that.

For those wondering, he has said in some interview (I know, proof or it didn't happen but if you're that cynical then I'm not too bothered if you believe me or not) that he has plans for a series of Lovecraft inspired games. I can only assume that this is that same project.

Sooo, cosmic Lovecraftian horror with portal-hopping.

Note that not once in the quoted material did the term Sci-Fi come up. It sounds like people are misinterpreting what he said.

Mass Effect involves (SPOILERS) an ancient race waiting to surge into our galaxy and eradicate all life, and they use portals and essentially 'thralls' to do it, along with twisting organic life (Saren) to their ends. (END SPOILERS)

The comparison doesn't necessarily mean that the game will contain space-ships and technology, or in fact any of the trappings of modern sci-fi. After all, Lovecraft wrote about creatures from space, but they travelled through the void unaided, not a warp core or dilithium crystal in sight.

Stiffkittin:
I really enjoyed most of Del Toro's later films (they're certainly not all gems) and I'd agree he has a flair for atmosphere and good taste in design. Still, I fail to understand the excitement here. I mean the man is a talented director of movies but does he really have the chops or even the skillset required to design/produce a good video game? Particularly a genre as notoriously difficult and taxing as the RPG?

Chorizo sausage and artisanal, bailies flavored ice-cream: 2 things I also love, but which won't be my 2 sandwich fillings of choice anytime soon.

That's pretty much the first thing that came to my mind. Is there anything out there to prove he can produce a long and excellent rpg from beginning to end? Not that I can think of.

Jandau:

You've just described every BioWare game in the last decade, you know.

Anyway, I might check this out when there's more information available.

...inter-dimensional horror rpg...venturing into portals to close them...a director known for making visually-stimulating nightmare creatures...

...oh god, PLEASE tell me this is what I'm hoping.

As a matter of fact, given Del Toro's comments about aiming to make 'high-profile' games--which, in advertising speak, translates roughly to 'shit you've heard of before'--if this prediction turns out to be true, The Escapist officially owes me 1 Jobs.

For all who don't know now, this what he's making...

much better then an RPG in my opinion.

He should be using the Paladium Rifts universe for this, that would be awesome!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here