Star Wars Fan Builds Floating Lightsaber Training Droid

Star Wars Fan Builds Floating Lightsaber Training Droid

Repulsorlift technology is a long way off, so when you're building your very own lightsaber training buddy, you have to improvise.

Stars Wars fan and YouTube user, Troopertrent, has constructed a model of the training remote seen in A New Hope. What's more, thanks to the amazing power of magnetism, the model is actually able to float without the need for wires or cables.

The training remote scene is a short, but important part in the first Star Wars movie. Luke is learning to use his lightsaber and Obi-Wan pits him against a floating training remote that zaps him with painful, but non-lethal, blaster fire. Luke is able to reach out with the Force and deflect the remote's fire, even with a visor covering his eyes, marking his first steps on the path to becoming a Jedi.

Trent took a novelty floating globe, stripped it down to the plastic, then built up the detail to replicate the ridges, sockets and other techno-ornamentation the remote had. When he was happy with the level of detail, he primed and painted the model, and once it was dry, he set it floating and stuck it in his Star Wars display case, alongside his collection of lightsabers.

The model is pretty simple to actually build, but a great idea all the same. It's actually a little surprising that LucasFilm hasn't made something like this already, but who knows? Maybe someone at LucasFilm will see this, and we'll soon see official floating training remotes in stores.

Source: io9

Doesn't look as clumsy or random as a blaster.

Awesome! I want one!

The Force is strong in you, Troopertrent.

nice :D .. now someone just need to invent a proper lightsaber that can cut through anything ^^

But will it also obey your commands?

MUST. HAVE! >.<

That is freakin awesome! i want one!

Pretty cool. I'd definitely display it in a similar fashion.

EvilMaggot:
nice :D .. now someone just need to invent a proper lightsaber that can cut through anything ^^

Can I get one of those?

This is made of win.

Oh god now I know what to ask for for Christmas.

And can you see the official commercials for this? "Now comes in Deathstar"

Time to make a Death Star version of this!

Saltyk:

EvilMaggot:

Can I get one of those?

that little creation holds an obscene amount of badassery

Fucking awesome.

Where can i get one?

HankMan:

Saltyk:

EvilMaggot:

Can I get one of those?

Too old to be a Jedi maybe. But no one ever said I want a lightsaber to protect others... I could find plenty of other uses for a energy sword that cuts through anything.

I give a few weeks until we see more of these with the DeathStar...

OH GOD THOSE THINGS WERE SO ANNOYING TO KILL IN DARK FORCES. SOMEBODY GET ME ONE OF THESE FOR CHRISTMAS SO I CAN ENACT SWEET VENGEANCE.

Logan Westbrook:
It's actually a little surprising that LucasFilm hasn't made something like this already

my thoughts exactly.

Though i would image the market for something like that is pretty limited.

How did no-one think of this already?

Brilliant thinking by this guy. Kudos to him.

EvilMaggot:

Lightsabers can't "cut through anything" though.

Purified Cortosis, for example, is not only lightsaber-resistant, but it will even render the saber powerless for a short while.

If you ever wondered why General Grievous' guards weren't simply cut down, it's because their staves were constructed of Phrik, another lightsaber resistant material.

I imagine you might have heard of the Mandalorian Wars? The Jedi got involved, didn't they? So why didn't they instagib them? Because of Mandalorian Iron.

Oh, and what you might not have expected is that a Saber's blade will short out if it comes in contact with a certain amount of water. (Rain doesn't quite cut it)

There's even examples of animals whose hides possess the ability to resist a sabers blade.

Anyway, enough nerding for one post I think? :)

CCountZero:

EvilMaggot:

Purified Cortosis, for example, is not only lightsaber-resistant, but it will even render the saber powerless for a short while.

If you ever wondered why General Grievous' guards weren't simply cut down, it's because their staves were constructed of Phrik, another lightsaber resistant material.

I imagine you might have heard of the Mandalorian Wars? The Jedi got involved, didn't they? So why didn't they instagib them? Because of Mandalorian Iron.

Oh, and what you might not have expected is that a Saber's blade will short out if it comes in contact with a certain amount of water. (Rain doesn't quite cut it)

There's even examples of animals whose hides possess the ability to resist a sabers blade.

... O_O ... you win...

This is the level of geekdom to which we should all aspire. I want one.

nice Marksman-H model!

CCountZero:

EvilMaggot:

Very nerdy and all true, except lightsabers can be constructed to work under water. It has something to do with the thing that lets you ajust the lenght.

O and the training droid is cool.

This is absolutely amazing! I feel ashamed that I didn't think of it. I think I'm going to go make something similar now.

Whew, and I thought he had copied my real floating droid.
Erm... I mean... shit...
<.<
>.>

This is not the comment you're looking for!

Magnets? But how do they work?

Sorry, I had to.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or