PS3 Pirates Counter Sony's Anti-Piracy Counter-Update

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

PS3 Pirates Counter Sony's Anti-Piracy Counter-Update

Sony's PS3 firmware update to foil the infamous PS Jailbreak has been itself foiled.

Back in September, Sony updated the PS3 firmware to version 3.42 in order to kill the functionality of PS Jailbreak, a USB mod tool that allowed users to play illegally copied games from the PS3's hard drive. It continued with version 3.50, which hit along with EA's Medal of Honor.

This wasn't enough to deter a determined pirate, however. According to Engadget, the makers of PS Jailbreak have updated the device to function with firmware versions 3.42, 3.50, "and beyond."

Honestly, this comes as little surprise - it's part of the ongoing war against piracy (or, if you're on the other side, the war against copyright law). One group develops a counter for the other's technology that works until the second group unleashes its counter-counter, rinse and repeat. Sony is undoubtedly going to release a new firmware update that stymies the PS Jailbreak yet again, until PS Jailbreak cracks that one, too.

Given that the release of FW 3.50 was rumored to be one of the reasons behind the eleventh-hour delay of Gran Turismo 5, it's entirely possible that an emergency firmware update might crash the racer's impending release date into a wall. Which, given how often that game has been delayed thus far, would just be part for the course, really.

If these determined pirates would only put their attention to other things, we'd probably be on Mars by now.

Update: Also according to Engadget, this will not actually function with games that require FW 3.42 and 3.50 - rather, it forces the PS3 down to the hackable FW 3.40. This only allows pirates to play older games, not the new ones that mandate the latest firmware.

So really, this isn't as much of a setback for Sony as it could have been - for now.

(Engadget)

There's a reason most people don't report on when new Wii and 360 firmware gets bypassed, y'know. Looks like pirates are well and truly in through the PS3's door, and any claims that any console is pirate-proof can be thoroughly rubbished.

John Funk:

If these determined pirates would only put their attention to other things, we'd probably be on Mars by now.

Meh, I think we would be out of the solar system. XD

Delusibeta:

There's a reason most people don't report on when new Wii and 360 firmware gets bypassed, y'know.

Yeah, the PS3 has been a lot harder to crack, so this was news.

I can't wait to see the reaction from Sony, though. Entertainment shall ensue.

Soon: Pirates foil attempts to foil the attempts at foiling the attempts that foiled the attempts which foil the attempts....

...foiling the attempts to foil the attempts at foiling the attempts OF PIRACY!

Expected. Very typical. Its always just a matter of time with this sort of stuff.

poiumty:
Soon: Pirates foil attempts to foil the attempts at foiling the attempts that foiled the attempts which foil the attempts....

Yaaaaargh!! They be after ye booty! and I not be talkin treasure either!...

Seriously that statement is full of win and fail at teh same time XD

John Funk:

We might even have our damn jetpacks by now...

OT: Ah, the circle of life piracy. Where nobody wins, and both sides look like idiots.

Not really as they are independent of the corporation and conglomerated interests, once they become part of the system they get bogged down with being in the system and dealing with where its masters want to go.

poiumty:

This statement made me laugh my ass off. Pretty much because it's simply disgustingly true, we'll have these headlines by the end of Februarry 2011

The pirates obviously have some good programmers on their side. If those guys actually used their skills for something good (as Mr. Funk noted) they'd be sure to make tons of money. Enough that they could afford to pay for the games, and wouldn't need to pirate them in the first place (hell, they could buy copies for all their friends too). I'm genuinely starting to think people like this just get their jollies from pissing off electronics companies.

poiumty:

*head explodes*

Great statement. Just...Confusing.

Prof. Monkeypox:
The pirates obviously have some good programmers on their side. If those guys actually used their skills for something good (as Mr. Funk noted) they'd be sure to make tons of money. Enough that they could afford to pay for the games, and wouldn't need to pirate them in the first place (hell, they could buy copies for all their friends too). I'm genuinely starting to think people like this just get their jollies from pissing off electronics companies.

I'm partial to the belief that they most likely can afford the stuff, anyway, and are just doing it for the giggles and/or challenge of it.

John Funk:

Dude... Seriously... Too True and sad at the same time... I fucking hate them pirates.

SaturdayS:
There's no games on mars. I'd stick with piracy.

Not yet... Thanks to pirates...

It's a vicious circle. An exercise in futility that only shows that this method of DRM isn't working. Stop investing in this failed scheme and get to work on something better, Sony, if you don't want people hacking your system.

These guys aren't trying to copy games for theft or personal gain, they are trying to subvert the system so that they can share games with their friends. The game companies business model is at fault if it relies upon people not sharing the commodity.

Misho-:

John Funk:

Dude... Seriously... Too True and sad at the same time... I fucking hate them pirates.

The Space Race finished..... ages ago. But, yes, space envy.

That large hadron collider thing would have worked 5 years ago if the Pirates had worked on that.

So, why don't Sony fix the problem and hire the guys doing this? clearly they get the job done better.

MAYBE IF WE THROW MORE MONEY AT OUR CURRENT PROGRAMMERS, THEY'LL FIGURE IT OUT, HUR DUR.

Message to pirates - go do something useful - maybe use your skill to get a job instead? I don't need you to cause another firmware update, or be the reason why Sony takes something out of my PS3.

We get it, you want to feel righteous. But you really shouldn't since it's your fault that evils like DRM exist...

Prof. Monkeypox:

Not going to say that doesn't come into it (who doesn't like "sticking it to the man" once in a while?), but I always get the sense this is the modern equivalent of "souping up" an old car. It's not necessary, but people like to tinker. Add the challenge of being told "here's this piece of hardware RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU, and we've made sure you can't do anything with it" will definitely bring out the "wanna bet?" crowd.

A bit of mistake in this news which has been corrected on other sites. They can't hack 3.50 firmware. They found a way to downgrade firmware back to 3.40 and before that. Pirates can't run any new games, but they still can run old ones.

Heart of Darkness:
It's a vicious circle. An exercise in futility that only shows that this method of DRM isn't working. Stop investing in this failed scheme and get to work on something better, Sony, if you don't want people hacking your system.

Dude I have not seen you post for months! Hey!

Anyway, meh. I don't know, I don't think the people that pirate stuff like this would be willing to put there skills to use elsewhere no matter how much you try to change them. That is of course if they are not doing anything else already.

Those guys are fucking impressive. However, i'm glad i'm not them. Can't imagen getting much chicks with skills such as those, huh?

lancar:

Prof. Monkeypox:

I'm partial to the belief that they most likely can afford the stuff, anyway, and are just doing it for the giggles and/or challenge of it.

Most of them work at low-wage jobs. Why? Because they don't have bits of rubbish hanging on the wall which state exactly how much they know.

Since most employers outside of Microsoft and Google will only hire you based on how many little slips of paper you've been given, rather than basing their hiring decisions on your skills and abilities, they're essentially stuck in mediocre positions until some security firm notices them.

There's also the fact that corporations layer so much crap on top of solid developers that they're no longer able to write a solid line of code without twelve thousand committee meetings the week before.

vrbtny:

Misho-:

John Funk:

The Space Race finished..... ages ago. But, yes, space envy.

That large hadron collider thing would have worked 5 years ago if the Pirates had worked on that.

Lol yeah... Well I admit Space pirates are so awesome in my mind, they can divide by zero and all... But why won't they use their Gifts for humanity instead of sticking to the "man" like in World of Goo.

Because it's only about piracy, right? I mostly just use my hacked PS3 to play SNES games which I've even dumped myself with my Retrode, since my real SNES broke a few years ago.

P.S Thanks

Heart of Darkness:

Actually, I'd say that a method of DRM that went unhacked for a good five years did a pretty good job, wouldn't you?

Put another way: A determined thief can break pretty much any lock you have on your apartment/house/whatever, just as a determined pirate can crack any DRM. But you wouldn't say that locks and home security are pointless, would you? They stop someone from just idly wandering in and walking out with your stuff. Similarly, DRM may not stop a determined pirate, but it probably does its job in dissuading some people who think "eh, cracking it is too complicated."

So no, I'd think that for this, it actually does its job pretty well.

If only there was a way to peaceably demand that the world change copyright laws to a more rational setting seeing as how in the age of information (where we are now) games come and go as quickly as a bucket of chicken at in a homeless shelter, and used game sales preventing any company from making money off a game after it has be bought once, you'd think a twenty year copyright would be fine and dandy, but no, people must be dicks instead of just punching "copyright reform petition" on google and joining the ...oh, about 100 signatures, no wonder we aren't getting anywhere.

Someday, this war will end and neither side will be happy with the outcome.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5...

Come on, Sony!

Get back up, you can't throw in the towel this late in the fight!

Build a better mousetrap, breed a better mouse. Who doesn't get this?

John Funk:

Back in September, Sony updated the PS3 firmware to version 3.42 in order to kill the functionality of PS Jailbreak, a USB mod tool that allowed users to play illegally copied games from the PS3's hard drive. It continued with version 3.50, which hit along with EA's Medal of Honor.

I'm not sure why Medal of Honor was mentioned. Very unnecessary. If it was for a time reference, the date or even late October would suffice.

I haven't touched my PS3 in a long time and this whole piracy update is a huge reason. I don't like how they keep downgrading their system with new "updates" that take soooooo long. I'd rather just turn on my XBox where the updates take from 2 seconds to 5 minutes (when they change their whole interface) and they don't actually take away anything from my system. I really wish I had the desire to play my PS3 because I did really like it.

Oh hey, another pirate threat..

Why cant these two sides just realise that they are not an threat to eachother and just live on in peace. Im ashamed that they actually let anti-piracy firms to toy them around and make them waste money by inserting fear of terror on them.

These things has been studied and proofed to be lies, but people still yet rather listens these fearmongers that just keep pushing false probaganda to this neverending war to make profit out of this confusion.

Use the damn Google!!

Jeronus:
Someday, this war will end and neither side will be happy with the outcome.

Only if the outcome is that copyright laws are put into a more reasonable position meaning nintendo can't sell you Super Mario World super delux edition for the wii without adding new content, and bands have to make more than one album ever five years, or stop spending all their money on useless gold crap, which would make anyone who pirates illegally just a douche instead of waiting a reasonable X amount of years to get it for free.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here