First Official Green Lantern Trailer Falls to Earth

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Wow, people are being harsh on this.

I actually like the look of this. As far as my exposure to Green Lantern goes, I've only read the "reboot" of Hal Jordan, after he

but from what the first issue of the reboot explained, this is looking pretty solid. The GL Corps look good, and they've got a decent enough villain... I guess. The big-head dude was in the comic I read, but his head was a LOT bigger there, and he came off as a huge whiner. The acting could have been better, but it could also have been a LOT worse.

It looks alright, though I'm still not liking the final shot of him putting on the suit in that office....still doesn't look right.

I know very little about the Green Lantern, but my dad ranks Green Lantern as his favourite dating back to his youth, so I wonder what he will make of this....

As an unrelated aside:

For.I.Am.Mad:
[snip]

Maybe I'm expecting to much. Because of things like Mass Effect and Star Wars, when I hear of anything to do with space I expect to be engulfed in a sci-fi orgasm. I don't want to watch a safe, calculated, cloned success.

Brilliant. There needs to be a song with that title, at least. :P

I have such mixed feelings on this. While GL has never been a favorite of mine, I do know a lot about the Crops and the story. And I like Ryan Reynolds, I am not sure this film was really up his alley.

But with all that said, it did make me want to see it. I mean hell, I saw Dare Devil in theaters so I can at lest see this.

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night; Green Lantern's getting into a great fight

And I'm happy GL will be getting some love this summer

Thomas Guy:
I have such mixed feelings on this. While GL has never been a favorite of mine, I do know a lot about the Crops and the story. And I like Ryan Reynolds, I am not sure this film was really up his alley.

But with all that said, it did make me want to see it. I mean hell, I saw Dare Devil in theaters so I can at lest see this.

The Green Lantern Crops are an integral part of the DC universe! Without them, no one would get fed! :P

No but seriously speaking, I'm not blown away by the trailer but it does look good to me. I'm a big fan of GL and Superheroes in general, so I was gonna see the movie even with a trailer. I don't expect the Dark Knight, but I was hoping for Batman Begins/Ironman. Heck, I'll be happy if we end up with a Superman Returns. I do NOT want another Catwoman.

double post

Looks good, but I think they made a mistake with the actors, oh don't get me wrong he's a good actor, but I just can't see him as Hal Jordan, maybe if they were focusing on Kyle Rayner it would work better.

However I'm reserving judgement, I'll be happy if it turns out to be Batman Begins/Superman Returns quality.

"WOW"
"I know right?"
"Dude, your costume SUCKS!... and I can totally see your junk."

Vault Citizen:
Is it wrong that I think the fan made trailer is more epic than this?

No, No it's not.

Trailer gets +1 awesomeness for Wolfmother, but otherwise it is fairly mediocre in a sense that I didn't really get the feeling of "I must see this movie nouuu!".

It looks pretty good but I feel like they're trying to make this into an Iron Man flick, ya know? Not that that's a bad thing. Also, the suit looks really out-of-place on Reynolds. It looked fine on the other aliens because they were just as fake/ CG as the suits. I would have hoped if anything looked cartoony it would have been the giant green fist GL conjures up.

As a trailer, I'm neither overwhelmed nor underwhelmed. Kinda whelmed?

As a concept, I'm liking this. Instead of the darkness and earnest realism aimed for in Nolan's Batman films (brilliant they may be) or Superman's tepid return, GL seems to be going for a diverse cast, galaxy-spanning story and a hero who's a bit more of an everyman. Of course, the cast might fall flat on their CG faces, the story may be flaccid if it exists at all and the hero may be trying too hard to be Tony Stark.

I'm not chomping at the bit to see this, but I have to admit, as lackluster as some of the trailer's bits seem, there's enough to give me a sliver of hope that this will not suck.

Thrashgrinder:
Looks pretty good to me...

Exactly, it looks like a fine adaptation of a classic character. If they get the pacing right, and don't shortchange the audience on the climax, I think the movie will be just fine.

The rest of the internerds are just being overly picky...

Looks like a pretty good movie to me!

Will definitely be checking it out

Did I miss something? Why's everyone whining about this trailer? We're dealing with a pretty vanilla superhero here, and yet everyone seems to be expecting this thing to be either incredibly deep or the outright reinvention of the wheel.

I'm looking for the following equation:
Kickass superhero action + most basic of comicbook background on screen + likable/relatable characters + some good laughs (ok if they're cheap) = My money on the table + good time at the movies
So far it looks like I'm in for exactly that.

I've always liked the Green Lantern (Although i'm a John Stewart man myself), and i've never really disliked Ryan Reynolds, so I'll probably be seeing this one. Oa and the rest of the Lantern corp looks good, which is a plus.

Still that suit... geh.

I think its look alright and something I will watch in the cinema. I'm not going jude it right now like a book cover although I had apply that logic to the Last Airbender... (I didn't watch it but I was hoping it would be good.)

Aurgelmir:

messy:
[quote="marcogodinho" post="7.245460.8973246"] And to include Kilowag is a nice touch.

Yeah I liked that too :) Oh and Sinestro in his green lantern outfit too :D

Green Lantern is probably the only DC character I have some sort of attachment too, being the first Superhero I ever had a comic about.

(Well it was released as a Superman Comic here in Norway, and consisted of two stories, one was Supes and Lantern travelign i nspace, the other was Lantern and the Lantern Corp)

Always liked his powers.

It seems like the movie will adapt Green Lantern: Secret Origin storyline from Geoff Johns. Sinestro was once the most powerful Lantern of them all and Hal Jordan´s mentor. It´ll be interesting how they adapt that story. It´s pretty good!

marcogodinho:

Aurgelmir:

messy:
[quote="marcogodinho" post="7.245460.8973246"] And to include Kilowag is a nice touch.

Yeah I liked that too :) Oh and Sinestro in his green lantern outfit too :D

Green Lantern is probably the only DC character I have some sort of attachment too, being the first Superhero I ever had a comic about.

(Well it was released as a Superman Comic here in Norway, and consisted of two stories, one was Supes and Lantern travelign i nspace, the other was Lantern and the Lantern Corp)

Always liked his powers.

It seems like the movie will adapt Green Lantern: Secret Origin storyline from Geoff Johns. Sinestro was once the most powerful Lantern of them all and Hal Jordan´s mentor. It´ll be interesting how they adapt that story. It´s pretty good!

greatest green lantern of them all. Not most powerful. Green lanterns are all on par (bar ion but thats a whole 'nother thing) with how much raw power they can (note i said can) create its how you use it that makes you effective or not, he just knew how to use it well.

messy:

marcogodinho:
I like it. It showed Hector Hammond, Sinestro, Kilowog, Carol Ferris, Tomar-Re, Oa, Abin-sur...has giant green fists coming out of rings (ok, that sounded bad)and military aircraft! From a comic book nerd point of view that´s pretty awesome.

Sure, it starts kind of goofy, but in a cool Tony Stark kind of way...AND at the end with Oa and the other lanterns, i see a lot of potential. It could be Iron Man ramping up to be something like DC´s Star Wars...a weird mix, but one i think is kinda cool.

The thing that makes me confident about the movie is Martin Campbell. You cant go wrong with the man respnsible for making Bond awesome again.

This does seem to be DC's answer to Iron man. I personally am a huge fan of the comics, and Hal Jordon is easily my favourite Lantern (The man with out fear, and with out fear you're just a man Batman) so odds are I'll go and see this. The CG looks a little dodgy but when he floated through that green lantern shaped rock it did look pretty awesome. And to include Kilowag is a nice touch.

Still needs some polishing but I'll give it a look

EDIT: the trailer looks a bit of a cliché at the beginning but I'm sorta hoping that was done to make people go "woah wait a second a purple alien?" Obviously to people who don't know the franchise.

Yeah, the CG could use some work here and there but it didnt really bug me. I like the way they´re stting up Sinestro as the mentor just like in the Secret Origin comics...lets hope we can see the Sinestro Corps, the Alpha Lanterns, other lanterns (like Kyle, Gardner and Stewart) and the war against the Red Lantern Corps, etc. in future movies!

I heard that Parallax will appear in the first movie. That would be pretty cool.

For.I.Am.Mad:
I don't want an Iron Man clone I want a Green Lantern movie. A dude with a ring that can do anything in space with aliens and they're making an Iron Man clone. I hope to God I'm wrong but that's what it's looking like.

I got that vibe too.

Let's hope it's not like Iron Man 2, consisting off 90% goofy improv comedy, 10% action.

Also, that chick from Gossip Girl as a jet pilot?......... Right.

I remain cautiously optimistic.

Vault Citizen:
Is it wrong that I think the fan made trailer is more epic than this?

Yes sir you are indeed correct that the fand made thing looks far superior to this. And not just because of Nathan Fillion

marcogodinho:

messy:

marcogodinho:
I like it. It showed Hector Hammond, Sinestro, Kilowog, Carol Ferris, Tomar-Re, Oa, Abin-sur...has giant green fists coming out of rings (ok, that sounded bad)and military aircraft! From a comic book nerd point of view that´s pretty awesome.

Sure, it starts kind of goofy, but in a cool Tony Stark kind of way...AND at the end with Oa and the other lanterns, i see a lot of potential. It could be Iron Man ramping up to be something like DC´s Star Wars...a weird mix, but one i think is kinda cool.

The thing that makes me confident about the movie is Martin Campbell. You cant go wrong with the man respnsible for making Bond awesome again.

This does seem to be DC's answer to Iron man. I personally am a huge fan of the comics, and Hal Jordon is easily my favourite Lantern (The man with out fear, and with out fear you're just a man Batman) so odds are I'll go and see this. The CG looks a little dodgy but when he floated through that green lantern shaped rock it did look pretty awesome. And to include Kilowag is a nice touch.

Still needs some polishing but I'll give it a look

EDIT: the trailer looks a bit of a cliché at the beginning but I'm sorta hoping that was done to make people go "woah wait a second a purple alien?" Obviously to people who don't know the franchise.

Yeah, the CG could use some work here and there but it didnt really bug me. I like the way they´re stting up Sinestro as the mentor just like in the Secret Origin comics...lets hope we can see the Sinestro Corps, the Alpha Lanterns, other lanterns (like Kyle, Gardner and Stewart) and the war against the Red Lantern Corps, etc. in future movies!

I heard that Parallax will appear in the first movie. That would be pretty cool.

Yeah I hear Parallax is the main villian this time around, could (although not following comics since an anti-matter universe may not do too well in the cinema) be a way to lead up to the Sinestro corps. If he notices the power of yellow or something. Also at 2.06 Hal Jordon smashes out of something big yellow. Which to me means that the yellow weakness is here.

For something that starts at pretty tame they've included quite a lot of cool things, Hector Hammond and Sinestro in the same film for one.

bahumat42:

marcogodinho:
[quote="Aurgelmir" post="7.245460.8973502"][quote="messy" post="7.245460.8973445"][quote="marcogodinho" post="7.245460.8973246"]

greatest green lantern of them all. Not most powerful. Green lanterns are all on par (bar ion but thats a whole 'nother thing) with how much raw power they can (note i said can) create its how you use it that makes you effective or not, he just knew how to use it well.

Yeah, you´re right. As for the «Ion» thing...he(Kyle) was kinda like a power source, right? I´m not very familiar with the character, i must say...

Am I the only one who was expecting MUCH worse?

This will be the first superhero movie that has the potential to enrage me. GL is my favorite hero so if this movie fails, heads will roll!

marcogodinho:

bahumat42:

marcogodinho:
[quote="Aurgelmir" post="7.245460.8973502"][quote="messy" post="7.245460.8973445"][quote="marcogodinho" post="7.245460.8973246"]

Yeah, you´re right. As for the «Ion» thing...he(Kyle) was kinda like a power source, right? I´m not very familiar with the character, i must say...

Ion has the entity of willpower (bear with me) inside him. Which is what powers the corps. So he technically has an unlimited amount of that same power. (regular lanterns have power levels which run out and need recharging)

[quote="Gordon_4" post="7.245460.8973432"]That was, to say the least, underwhelming. The fan-made trailer that casts Nathan Fillion as Hal Jordan (and plays 'Freedom Fighter's' from Star Trek's trailer) and uses a combination of James Masters and Hugo Weaving as Sinestro was far superior.
[quote]

I saw that trailer too. It was awesome, even if after a while you start picking out where they got certain clips.

This looks... not bad but not great either.

Quite frankly, it looks unappealing to me. I really don't like Ryan Reynolds as an actor, I grew up on Justice League: Unlimited with the bad ass black Green Lantern, and.. I could have sworn his suit looks like Tony Stark made it for him.. *Hems*.

Time will tell.

Ok for fucks sakes, can we stop with the "I'm an incompetent guy trying to be a super hero act" gag now? It was fine with Iron Man, but seeing it here just makes me cringe.

*looks at comments* Now that's what I call a typical reaction. The only comments I can agree with is that it doesn't exactly scream Hal Jordan and that the CGI still needs a lot of work. For the rest ... yeah ... no. I mean, come on? Judging an entire actress and performance on one two minute trailer?

The movie looks like it's going to be a great experience, even with the minor character flaws and yet to be finished CGI. Can't wait to see it.

They made Carrol Ferris a test pilot, because being a woman in charge of one of the biggest military funded corporations isn't a strong enough statement of her feminine character?

They made Pieface less stereotypical by painting him into the corner of "Hal's nerdy (but no longer Eskimo) friend"?

Sorry, Green Lantern movie. My excitement waned to worry when I saw the costume, and now I'm just disappointed. It's clear this was not taken even remotely seriously from the get-go, and now you're just another superhero movie notch in the studio system's belt. Your wasted potential will be forgotten by everyone that never really cared about you.

That....Looks.....Terrible.

What is it with DC and their comicbook franchises?

First they screw up Superman Returns (and it sounds as if they are going to do it again.. ZOD.. yawnn), now they make this pile of Poo..

Even their most successful to date, Batman is ok-ish.. it good because it's all dark and gritty, but Bale's Batman isn't particulary very good.. and the over done gritty voice is too much to listen to.

The reason why Reeve's Supes has been so enduring is because Donner's watch word was Verisimilitude (truth).. they played it straight and got characterisation right... This Hal is a jokey, unrecognisable mess.. and what is it with the cgi for the costume?.. it could so have looked better, it doesn't even look a part of him, it just looks painted on the screen.

I hate WB/DC sooooo much... it's run by a bunch of Monkeys.

I was watching this trailer again and I've figured out why its mediocre, it has no punch. It almost gets exciting towards the end but for the most part its just ok, nothing about it gets me all geared up to see the movie and nothing really grabs me about it.

a quote by Barney Stinson that sums up this trailer perfectly (I don't think I've got quote 100% correct)

"I'm looking for the vice president of awesome and you're the under secretary of only ok"

You people... what, we can't have any more cocky superheroes? Tony Stark is the only guy who can do that? Maybe I'd feel the same way if I'd read the comics, but I'm still optimistic. I'm less concerned about Reynolds nailing the exact character and more concerned about having a good time watching the movie. Also, I have every reason to be confident in the final quality of the CG.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here