Microsoft Lines Up for Bizarre

Microsoft Lines Up for Bizarre

Things are looking up at Bizarre Creations following reports that "several companies" have expressed an interest in acquiring the studio, including none other than Project Gotham Racing owner Microsoft.

I made a bit of a joke yesterday when word leaked out that Activision was looking at shutting down Bizarre Creations, pointing out to my newsroom compadres that just a couple of weeks earlier it was revealed that Microsoft was on the hunt for a studio to revive the Project Gotham Racing franchise. PGR, for those who don't see the connection, was a racing game created and developed by Bizarre exclusively for the Xbox and Xbox 360, until Bizarre got tired of the daily grind and ended up flying the Activision flag in 2007.

But maybe it wasn't such a joke after all. A source at the studio told Develop that the mood has brightened somewhat following a meeting with management earlier today. "That meeting really lifted the mood here, I think, because we've been told that there's multiple parties interested in buying us," the source said.

"We are still on consultation for ninety days, but things look much better than they did last night or this morning," he continued. "Things here are changing at such a quick pace."

The source didn't want to name the companies in question because he doesn't want to put any possible rescue a risk. A separate source, however, claimed that Microsoft is one of the interested parties. "Microsoft aren't stupid," he said. "They know we're talented and have spoken to Activision about us."

It's a sensible fit, really. Microsoft needs a studio with solid racing credentials, while Bizarre needs to not go out of business. And even if it doesn't come to anything, it's good to know that other suitors are waiting in the wings - and that my amazing powers of prognostication are as sharp as ever.

I smell a happy ending!

Man, I hope Bizarre gets saved by Microsoft. I liked PGR, I like The Club, and I enjoyed the Blur beta very much (still planning on getting the full game). They've made some fun games, and I do hope this works out for them.

I think Microsoft are a bunch of greedy jerks as well, but if they do this I will have more respect for them.

I'm happy to see that Bizarre creation could be bought by Microsoft or some other publisher. We if only could have happen to Pandemic studio.

wait, Microsoft are the good guys?
oh, dark days have surely come.

In this situation where Bizarre gets to make a PGR5 Microsoft are the good guys. I know it's a scary thing but really anyone who saves Bizarre is going to be the good guys. Blur was pretty poor and Blood Stone was terrible, but they have the talent to produce great games.

*cue "Jaws" theme*

Seriously, though, I just can't see Bizzare folding tents; too much creative potential still there, too much recent success. I think Acti/Blizz is daft letting them go and I have no problem seeing Microsoft snapping them up in a heartbeat.

I just hope that MGS has learned the FASA/Rare lesson and lets Bizzare be its own thing... like they did with Bungie.

-- Steve

Andy Chalk:
- and that my amazing powers of prognostication are as sharp as ever.

You spelled procrastination wrong. ;)

Good to see one of the Ex-Activision may get out safely though.

PipBoy2000:
wait, Microsoft are the good guys?
oh, dark days have surely come.

Preach it brother.

Blur was amazing, it really is just Mario kart. But I don't own a Wii nor do my friends so blur was perfect. It had that "solid" feel or a racer but all the fun of Mario kart, and the woops for joy as you dodged lightning bolts (easier on Blur than MK.)

If they keep producing games like this I don't mind where they go. Just really glad they're being picked up.

As I said in another thread, Blur was sent out to die by Activision. Up against Split Second and it was given hardly any marketing at all by Activision, not to mention few copies of the game on retailer shelves. THAT'S why it died at retail, not because of any shortage of quality in the game.

Ekonk:
I think Microsoft are a bunch of greedy jerks as well, but if they do this I will have more respect for them.

You cant really compare Ms to activision now. Activision wouldnt of let Bungie go without murdering some employees first whereas MS gave them their blessings.

While Microsoft would be the most obvious candidate, considering they want to make a PGR 5, I would honestly prefer it if someone like Zenimax bought them out, as not to rule out a PS3 and PC port of their future games.

Wow. Microsoft being the actual good guys? I think my mind has been blown. O_O

Did I miss a memo or did Microsoft murder everyone's cat/dog recently?

I would find it strange if MS bought Bizarre for the same reason I find the article's assertion that MS "needs a studio with solid racing credentials" loopy: They have Turn 10 Studios, you know, those guys that have been providing the only really good racing series while everyone has been waiting for Gran Turismo 5 to finally finish baking.

True, PGR isn't the same as Forza, but seriously, 80% of PGR is already in Forza. They could easily do a spin off, hell, a big DLC expansion pack even and be most of the way there.

Anton P. Nym:
*cue "Jaws" theme*

Seriously, though, I just can't see Bizzare folding tents; too much creative potential still there, too much recent success. I think Acti/Blizz is daft letting them go and I have no problem seeing Microsoft snapping them up in a heartbeat.

I just hope that MGS has learned the FASA/Rare lesson and lets Bizzare be its own thing... like they did with Bungie.

-- Steve

Daft? Not sure. Was Activision going to be able to turn PGR into a multiplatform hit competing against Gran Turismo on the PlayStation?

If not, isn't it worth more to Microsoft than to Activision?

If so, isn't the only way to realize that higher value to sell it?

If so, isn't the only way to get MS to pony up to tell them they need to buy the studio or it will be closed?

I'm not sure at all this is daft, I think it's clever. What is so different now that PGR was worth buying in 2007 and needs to be shuttered now? Or was it simply that Activision saw that Bizarre might be worth more to MS now than it was to Activision in 2007?

Called it.

I knew Microsoft wouldn't them sink after all the work they did for 'em.

Interesting to see what they do, they're great at racing, so maybe PGR5? Or a new racing IP?

Or something totally different?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here