Valve Heralds New Portal 2 Delay as Its Shortest Ever

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

You'll have to wait a little longer to play Portal 2, but cheer up, because it could have been a lot worse.

It's bad news for gamers, as Valve has announced that Portal 2 will miss its February release date by a couple of months. It's good news for Valve however, as the two month slip represents the shortest delay in Valve's 14-year history.

Valve didn't say what had caused the delay, just that it was a sign that the oft-talked about "Valve Time" - a jokey reference to the fact that Valve will announce a date or a time and then almost never stick to it - was getting ever closer to "Real Time." The eventual union of the two would have dire consequences for the humanity, Valve said, but would not result in any more delays for Portal 2. This is obviously disappointing, but Valve has so much goodwill among gamers it's hard to imagine too many people getting mad at the company. Besides, two months is nothing compared to the three years - and counting - we've been waiting for Half-Life 2: Episode 3.

As long as there are no more fluctuations in the Valve Time Continuum, Portal 2 will now come out for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 on April 18th. This is the second time that Valve has pushed back the release date for the game though, so it might be worth using a pencil to mark it in your diary, rather than a pen.

Only 2 months?

Valve, I'm almost disappointed in you for such a short delay! You're breaking my expectation of playing this sometime in 2013 :P

Expect to see it come out Spring 2012.

I'm surprised people actually consider patience when it comes to Valve and their delays. I always thought it more prudent just to forget Valve existed until they actually announced a release date for something.

Do you think Valve might just learn one of these days and either A) Not give a release date until the disks are being printed or B) Give a really late prediction.

This is not the sort of thing to celebrate.

It reminds me of the XKCD strip, a primary school teacher reassuring people he wears a condom while teaching. Strictly speaking it's better than the alternative but someone somewhere is doing their job very wrong. (Okay so it doesn't really but I wanted to use that quote somewhere)

Just being 'a little less late than usual' is not something to boast about, because you are still late. Sometimes it seems like Valve are the only ones who can get away with this, and I really do wonder why. If Bioware announced a 14 month delay on Mass Effect 3, or didn't even give a release date at all and just said 'I dunno, when it's done.' People would be denouncing them and burning effigies of Shepard in the street, so why does Valve get a free pass?

Brilliant. That is hilarious.

What I read was "Portal 2 comming out in December"
Atleast it will be released before HL2: EP3.

only two months?

valve, that's just insulting

2 months! can you believe that? 2 months!

I wish I had 'Valve Time' to do all my school work in X3

But there's no end of polish they can put on it in two months.

they say 2 moths but this is the real release date

25/8/3974 Portal 2

i dont trust Valve on release dates

Ya... I'm pretty sure the new date wont be the real one either, but here is hoping it comes out by the end of 2011

damn.. :(

And to think it was going to be released on my birthday! D:

Remember when this was coming out in 2010?

I really don't care anymore. I'll buy it when it ends up in a bargain bin. At least it gives me some time to scrape money together for a new graphics card.

It isn't surprising in the slightest to be honest, and not even due to Valve's reputation for being late with releases; You can't pre-order it yet and that's a sign in itself considering you could pre-order Halo Reach almost a year in advance.

I am less disappointed than I normally would be anyway; it means I have more time to spend with Dead Space 2 upon release and helps fill the void in games between the beginning of the year and Autumn/Fall when Gears of War 3 is released. It also means I may end up getting Dragon Age: Origins after all.

teh_Canape:
only two months?

valve, that's just insulting

2 months! can you believe that? 2 months!

Well technically it's more than that considering it was originally supposed to be "Released for Xmas 2010".

Haz88:
I really don't care anymore. I'll buy it when it ends up in a bargain bin. At least it gives me some time to scrape money together for a new graphics card.

Mmmm.

Announcing how you are only delaying a game a little, isn't a good thing.

I'll not be getting this on release, either.

And by 2 months they mean 2 years image

SuperMarcons:
I'm surprised people actually consider patience when it comes to Valve and their delays. I always thought it more prudent just to forget Valve existed until they actually announced a release date for something.

This is what I do. They announce a release date? yay. Find out when it is, forget about it in two weeks.

What if this is the biggest trolling ever and valve end's up releasing "Portal 3: portals in outer space" in july 2013 (completely skipping portal 2), and after 5 min of mind blowing gameplay Rick Astley starts singing.

Hard to imagine to many people getting mad?

I'm literally angry with rage! I'm madder than I've ever been!

Meh. A couple of months means that's about April. Right around my B-Day. That works alright for me. Now there is some time between this and DNF. Not buying one game after another so quickly.

Ha ha ha ha, oh Valve.

"In the year 2525, when portal 2 will finally arrive."

Rather have it late and polished to a glistening shine then, not. cough/Obsidian\cough

SuperMarcons:

Nah. Best thing with Valve is to forget about their products until they've actually released. Ignore release dates, ignore schedules, ignore PR releases - Just wait.

MelasZepheos:
so why does Valve get a free pass?

Except Valve don't get a free pass. They get a lot of stick (Primarily on their own forums, I believe) over their "poor" ability to release games. Left 4 Dead, for example, was supposed to get the most recent content pack a month after The Passing came out (Which itself was delayed, I believe), but I think it eventually took half a year for it to finally release.

However, Valve make up for it with constant support for their games (The HL2 games still get patches, and HL2 is six years old!) and their high quality games. BioWare (To continue your example), on the other hand, came under flak this year for delaying Return to Ostagar the day before release, which is utterly terrible. At least Valve have given much more warning. It's so far away as to not really matter, and one could argue that it allows Portal 2 to miss a fairly heavy release period (EA have a few games coming out around then such as Crysis 2, Dragon Age 2, Bulletstorm, Sims Medieval etc).

Logan Westbrook:

Did you get this directly from Valve, or do you have a source?

MelasZepheos:
If Bioware announced a 14 month delay on Mass Effect 3, or didn't even give a release date at all and just said 'I dunno, when it's done.' People would be denouncing them and burning effigies of Shepard in the street...

I wouldn't. My reaction would be little more then, "Well, crap."

MelasZepheos:
...so why does Valve get a free pass?

Because we're all used to it.

When a company announces a release date, the expectation is that they will stick to it. If they fail to meet that expectation, people get disappointed and angry.
But when Valve announce a release date, nobody expects them to stick to it. So when they announce the inevitable delay, nobody is particularly surprised or disappointed.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Damn! this was the ONE game above all else that I was looking forward to =/
Two months delay better = double the length of the co-op damn it!

Valve is trolling us gently, and we will enjoy it. Seriously though if there are no more deleys i will be very surprised. Personally im expecting holiday 2011, but Valve time has so little relation to actual time i really don't know.

I mean look at l4D, 2 pretty amazing games in less than 2 years.

MelasZepheos:
Just being 'a little less late than usual' is not something to boast about, because you are still late. Sometimes it seems like Valve are the only ones who can get away with this, and I really do wonder why. If Bioware announced a 14 month delay on Mass Effect 3, or didn't even give a release date at all and just said 'I dunno, when it's done.' People would be denouncing them and burning effigies of Shepard in the street, so why does Valve get a free pass?

I wouldn't say it's so much a free pass as it is expected. They've set this up as their method of doing things from early on. Plus, their delays usually result in a quality title. It's the same way Blizzard gets away with it.

"It's done when it's done," is a big promise that requires a big payoff to get away with. If they didn't bring out quality material to back it up people wouldn't accept it and sales would reflect that.

So they're happy about not being able to meet the deadline they set themselves..riiiight.

Guessing they're going to be cheering about longest delay with Episode 3 then.
(And don't quote me and say be patient = I don't really like valve games, medicore at best)

I'm guessing nothing can beat ep3 :P

Ah well, I have a plethora of games to play in the meantime.

I'm voting that there's going to be another delay.

All bets welcome!

This is my most anticipated game, but a two month wait is hardly anything to be upset over. At least now I'll have time to devote to Dead Space 2 and Dues Ex.

MelasZepheos:
This is not the sort of thing to celebrate.

It reminds me of the XKCD strip, a primary school teacher reassuring people he wears a condom while teaching. Strictly speaking it's better than the alternative but someone somewhere is doing their job very wrong. (Okay so it doesn't really but I wanted to use that quote somewhere)

because they have done it enough for us to be used to it, and because they have continuously proven to us that it is worth the wait

Moriarty70:

MelasZepheos:

I wouldn't say it's so much a free pass as it is expected. They've set this up as their method of doing things from early on. Plus, their delays usually result in a quality title. It's the same way Blizzard gets away with it.

"It's done when it's done," is a big promise that requires a big payoff to get away with. If they didn't bring out quality material to back it up people wouldn't accept it and sales would reflect that.

Blizzard has been getting away with that for a long while now. Diablo 3? Starcraft 2? Patch day for WoW? All of that would be ridiculous for a lesser company, but Blizzard delivers great games... just like valve. Portal 2 has a very high probability of being a great game, so most people will forgive a few months of delay. I know I will. If portal blows, though, valve will lose a lot of credit with me.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here