Kevin Butler Scores Big With Three Awesome (or Creepy) New Ads

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Kevin Butler Scores Big With Three Awesome (or Creepy) New Ads

Sony's hilarious ad figurehead has returned with three new commercials that will make you smile - and may make you sniff yourself uncomfortably.

I think that - no matter how much we might wish this to not be the case - we all recognize that Kevin Butler, Sony's VP of Whatever Title He Currently Has, is a fictional character. He's expertly portrayed by actor Jerry Lambert, his speech is written by a clever team of scribes, and the ads are hilarious and rather compelling, but it's not real. Still, we wish it was.

And that doesn't mean the ads can't also be hilarious, too. Sony has released three new KB spots in quick succession that run the gamut from "hilarious" to "hilarious and a bit unsettling."

The first celebrates the impending release of Gran Turismo 5, and reveals that the many, many delays in getting GT5 onto shelves were due to the charismatic Mr. Butler's perfectionism, and not all that other stuff. Best part? "Mr. Butler is a professional driver on a closed course."

The second is probably the weakest of the bunch, as its jokes are obvious right from the outset. It's also got the most boring job of the three - it just reminds viewers that the PS3 is also a rather competent gaming console as well as being a Blu-Ray player. Dude, Sony, you were talking about this back in 2006. We all know by now!

The third is where it gets a bit weird. Suffice it to say that KB thinks that if you buy a PS3, you can be just like this fake TV family. I'm not going to say any more, because that would ruin the punch line. You'll have to watch this one yourself.

I acknowledge that it is a commercial character and at their heart, these are nothing more than clever advertisements. But really? I don't care. I still love you, KB.

(PlayStation Blog)

"She smells like strawberries."
Okay, I gotta say, that guy makes me laugh...
Second one was funny because it was terrible. Not in an entirely bad way.

Kevin Butler could turn a staff into a snake.

those were awesome. "Smells like strawberries". If you watch the first one the Do not attempt professional driver on closed course it actually says Mr. Butler is a Professional driver on a closed course.

Great ads. I want a giant hanging Kevin Butler picture outside of my window.

Almost sold me on GT5. Almost. I'm steering toward the new NFS. Who's doing that review, Funk?

Mr. Butler makes me proud to be a sony man. No Microsoft rep is nearly as cool.

that is very unproffesional and I'm not sure that's a closed course.

KB always makes me wanna almost buy a PS3... almost

Kevin Butler's commercials are so damn much better than the abstract ones they started out with. Gotta say though, I haven't seen one that beats the MLB 10: The Show commercial.

"Well played, Mauer!"

"And when they said they need the test cars back I said 'Muahahahahahaha!'"

Awesome. I love Kevin Butler...

"When they said they wanted their test cars back I said Hahahahaha!" I freaking love Kevin Butler, the day Sony stops using him in their commercials is the day they go out of business.

going by the responses sofar seem he is winning the people over, funny stuff either way gt5 is a must buy for me since like well 5 6 years ago :P.

That hair sniffing thing at the end was kinda creepy, lol.

Onyx Oblivion:

Almost sold me on GT5. Almost. I'm steering toward the new NFS. Who's doing that review, Funk?

Hot Pursuit is a lot more arcade-y, so it depends, do you want a simulation or an arcade racer?

This_ends_now:
Mr. Butler makes me proud to be a sony man. No Microsoft rep is nearly as cool.

I'm a Microsoft man and even I'll admit, Kevin Butler is way cooler than anyone we've got!

Tankichi:
those were awesome. "Smells like strawberries". If you watch the first one the Do not attempt professional driver on closed course it actually says Mr. Butler is a Professional driver on a closed course.

Also every parking space is "Reserved for Kevin Butler".

Dear Sony: I hope you are paying whoever came up with the Kevin Butler ads a very large pile of money. They are genius.

Ok, so I'm going to be whispering "She smells like strawberries" all day now!

God I love you KB!
'Smells like strawberries' is my new catchphrase!

That laugh at the end of the first one is so priceless. I applaud you Sony for making great commercials, and consoles. Yet I'm still not going to buy a ps3 because I already own a 360 and I would only use it for exclusives, so buying a PS3 would be a waste for me.

theSovietConnection:

Onyx Oblivion:

Hot Pursuit is a lot more arcade-y, so it depends, do you want a simulation or an arcade racer?

I like both, really. But HP is looking great from the demo. Waiting for a GT5 demo...

She smells like strawberries. *sniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiffffffffff*

Classic.

Onyx Oblivion:

I have it on my desk. Check back next... Wednesday, I think?

I must be soulless but what's so special?

That Blu-Ray commercial seems just about the same as the price drop rumor commercial they had that started the Kevin Butler series of advertisements, except slightly funnier because of the excessive sarcasm.

P.S. Thanks

Onyx Oblivion:

theSovietConnection:

Onyx Oblivion:

I like both, really. But HP is looking great from the demo. Waiting for a GT5 demo...

Well, to throw my two cents in, it isn't bad, but the difficulty seems to roller coaster at times. I'm still working on the police campaign, I haven't tried as a racer yet. Overall it's fun, but I'd recommend you rent first to try it out.

These commercials are awesome. Not as awesome as that one 360 ad with all the people shooting at each other. Maybe Sony should steal that idea :D

The sniffing was freaky but the Gran Turismo 5 one was freaking hilarious.

I think this guy is brilliant.
Nuff said.

I was mistakenly under the impression that the KB ads were done with. So glad I was wrong.

Susan Arendt:
Dear Sony: I hope you are paying whoever came up with the Kevin Butler ads a very large pile of money. They are genius.

I'll second that, this guy makes me regret not watching TV.

Kevin's one charismatic son of a bitch!

Um... Did Kevin Butler just start smelling some chick?

OT: I don't have a PS3, but this guy always makes me want one. Too bad I'd only play LBP and MAYBE Heavy Rain.

I think "VP of Add More Awesome" pretty much encompasses any other VP role Kevin has been given.

You know, i know GT5 is comming out but i still feel like they will just go "Haha fuckers! We were messing with you! Another 9 months or so and maybe it wil be ready"

Don't have a ps3, but I love these ads.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or