New Reality Show Will Seriously Feature People Playing Catch

Pages 1 2 NEXT

New Reality Show Will Seriously Feature People Playing Catch

American Idol producers are working on a reality pilot called The Catch, which features people playing catch. Seriously.

The National Broadcasting Corporation has ordered a pilot for a reality game show called The Catch. The title may seem to describe a dating show, perhaps, or extreme fishing, but it's surprisingly literal: The program will feature people playing catch, presumably for cash and/or prizes. FremantleMedia North America, the producers of American Idol, are producing the pilot episode.

NBC hasn't greenlit the show yet, so there's not a great deal of information available. As of right now, the game apparently involves something a little more involved than playing catch in the backyard; one proffered example of gameplay involves balls, a helicopter, and a mud pit.

To further clarify, The Hollywood Reporter notes that "details are scarce as the format is still being developed, the show basically takes the game of catch and expands it to extremes -- doing for the backyard ball toss what ABC's Wipeout did for obstacle courses." This makes perfect sense, because everybody loved Wipeout, right?

Right?

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

the only way I can see this working is if its about kittens catching things

Doesn't beat "Touch The Truck"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touch_the_Truck

No, this actually happened. None of this is made up.

I... I love Wipeout. *cough*

Catch the pigeon would be a better show.... Or better yet, they could put the money towards making new wacky races cartoons?

Oh my, it could be like the episode of Friends where they have to keep catching the ball, that was awesome.

This could be too! Or not.

We're on our way to the movie Ass.

SHHHH...listen..........

Hear that scraping sound?.. It's the bottom of the barrel.

How can anyone hate Wipeout? Other than that it is just "mindless, dumb, television"? The two "voices of god" are annoying, though.

Oh come on.. how can any site calling itself "The Escapist" even hint that Wipeout was not an awesome show?

I mean that thing was escapism at its purest essence. Totally mindless, drop-in/drop-out TV. Just enough spectacle to divert your attention/brain, not enough to require any actual involvement.

Fumbleumble:
SHHHH...listen..........

Hear that scraping sound?.. It's the bottom of the barrel.

No, it's a Chinese coffin.

Anyone else feel like these shows are made by some spiteful diety just to prove how stupid most humans are to his friends?

"No, Zeus, seriously, look at this. Remember that weird rapper? Flava... somethin'... is it just Flava Flave or whatever? Doesn't matter, watch, I'm gonna make a show about him dating. No, seriously, watch, these people will eat it up. Yes they will! Fine, we'll have a bet, if that show is successful you'll allow me to take it one step further! A show about people playing catch! If you win, er... world hunger, yeah, we'll stop world hunger! It's a bet!"

*shakes hands*

...*sigh*...

Umm, Wipeout has been a ratings winner, hasn't it? If that's the case, then, yeah, a lot of people loved Wipeout. There's a reason why it keeps going.

EDIT: Wipeout's season finale had a rating of 2.6, the highest of it's season since June of this year, making it one of the big winners of the 18-49 demographic. So yeah, a lot of people loved it.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2010/09/15/abc's-season-finale-of-"wipeout"-scores-the-net's-best-non-sports-performance-among-adults-18-49-in-over-3-months/63445

But, yeah, The Catch sounds...well...boring.

seriously, if they don't show kitten catching things, it's doomed to fail. And reality shows are ALL fail

While I do find Wipeout entertaining, it's going to take a lot to make me watch freaking Catch.

Elizabeth Grunewald:
To further clarify, The Hollywood Reporter notes that "details are scarce as the format is still being developed, the show basically takes the game of catch and expands it to extremes -- doing for the backyard ball toss what ABC's Wipeout did for obstacle courses." This makes perfect sense, because everybody loved Wipeout, right?

Right?

I loathe that show. If it was called something else, I wouldn't have minded.

But EVERY SINGLE TIME I tell someone that one of my favourite games of all time is Wipeout, all I ever get is "Haha, you like that awful show?", or along the lines thereof.

Then I have to describe to them that no, I hate Wipeout, the gameshow, but I adore Wipeout, the videogame. For someone who doesn't really know what you're talking about, you can imagine the sort of responses I would get.

This show makes my life miserable.

And then they'll make a reality show featuring people sitting on their couches and watching TV! Also, ass: the movie is now in production!

Seriously, though, this is just dumb. I have no doubt that if this doesn't work out for NBC, Cartoon Network will probably go in and save it just like they did hole in the wall, and then i'll die a little more inside.

The_root_of_all_evil:
Doesn't beat "Touch The Truck"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touch_the_Truck

No, this actually happened. None of this is made up.

Most boring show ever.

But playing catch on helicopters would be awesome, if I had huge amounts of disposable income, that's what I'd be doing.

I cry foul at the game's industry with all of its realistic shooters...

... and then remember that TV is much, much worse.

This is why I love reruns. Modern television can suck it...with the exception of "the office" and "the boondocks". Neither of which can can suck it because I respect them too much to ever ask them to do something so degrading.

But... isn't there a catch section of pretty much every other obstacle course themed show ever anyway?

This seems pointless and boring.

I hope they at least make it interesting, maybe put spikes on the ball or something.

Why do I get the feeling shows like The Running Man will soon become a reality?

Quantum Roberts:
Why do I get the feeling shows like The Running Man will soon become a reality?

Ack! Ninja'd.

Buccura:
We're on our way to the movie Ass.

Dust off the "Best Original Screenplay" Oscar!

I like Wipeout.....

Worgen:

the only way I can see this working is if its about things catching kittens

I would watch a couple episodes of a show where two contestants have to have a backyard baseball catch for money. It would be funny to watch 99% of the population try to throw a baseball 100 feet accurately.

*sigh*

i really really hate reality tv...

HEY!

I love Wipeout. I could win that shit.

But catch... maybe they should try a little harder in their brainstorming sessions.

I thought "reality" shows couldn't get any worse after they made Orwell turn in his grave (Big Brother...). Apparently, I was wrong.

PeePantz:

Worgen:

the only way I can see this working is if its about things catching kittens

you do not catch kitten, kitten catches you

Really the only way i'm going to watch a reality show about catch is if all the contestants are topless suppermodels.

Oh and whats wrong with wipeout? it's entertaining is it not?

I'd like to say I'm surprised and alarmed by this. But I'm not. This is exactly what I predicted reality would do eventually. The only thing that surprised me was that's it taken them this long.

Perhaps I'm just showing my age, but wasn't there a time where we had real shows on TV?
Rather than watching a bunch of retarded monkeys in suits compete to create the "Worst Show that Still Generates High Nielson Ratings"?

ZeroMachine:
Anyone else feel like these shows are made by some spiteful diety just to prove how stupid most humans are to his friends?

"No, Zeus, seriously, look at this. Remember that weird rapper? Flava... somethin'... is it just Flava Flave or whatever? Doesn't matter, watch, I'm gonna make a show about him dating. No, seriously, watch, these people will eat it up. Yes they will! Fine, we'll have a bet, if that show is successful you'll allow me to take it one step further! A show about people playing catch! If you win, er... world hunger, yeah, we'll stop world hunger! It's a bet!"

*shakes hands*

...*sigh*...

lol Hades...he is the progenitor of all asshattery

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.