Blade's Wesley Snipes Sentenced to Three Years in Prison

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Blade's Wesley Snipes Sentenced to Three Years in Prison

A federal judge has sentenced Blade actor Wesley Snipes to three years in prison on tax evasion charges.

Despite raised concerns regarding the fairness of his trial, actor Wesley Snipes (Blade, To Wong Foo Thanks For Everything, Julie Newmar) is going to jail for three years. Snipes was sentenced today for a 2008 conviction of willfully failing to file tax returns and obstructing the United States Internal Revenue Service.

Not only did he probably want to avoid jail, Snipes was actually hoping to have the convicting trial thrown out entirely. According The Hollywood Reporter, "two jurors sent emails to Snipes' lawyers alleging that other members made the conclusion that he was guilty before the trial officially started...one of the witnesses Kenneth Starr, who recently pleaded guilty to fraud, gave a "tainted" testimony against Snipes." Snipes' lawyers were hoping that these perjury accusations would result in a new trial, but no dice.

U.S. District Judge William Terrell Hodges ruled that "The Defendant Snipes had a fair trial; he has had a full, fair and thorough review of his conviction and sentence by the Court of Appeals; and he has had a full, fair and thorough review of his present claims, during all of which he has remained at liberty. The time has come for the judgment to be enforced." Snipes is required to surrender himself to the authorities, but the time and place of that surrender is currently unknown.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

You know, if he would have went right after he was found guilty, he'd be out by now.

Don't mean to be off-topic... but dat armpit hair :O.

I wonder if they'll have to tie him up with rings of garlic.

To hell with the chair, just leave him to sunbathe.

Mackheath:

Half-vampire. None of their weaknesses. You need to watch the movies again, I see.

That wasn't the best picture to use for an article...

poor dude, he used to kick some ass in his movies ! i really liked when he was the Nemesis guy of Demolition Man... among other characters.

Simon Phoenix, you are fined three years for a violation of the Financial Morality Statute.

Just goes to show that even a bad-ass, vampire-slaying daywalker can't avoid to pay his taxes.

McNinja:

Mackheath:

Half-vampire. None of their weaknesses. You need to watch the movies again, I see.

It has been years, I'll admit. I never watched the third, and the other two are vague memories. *shrug*

The_root_of_all_evil:
Simon Phoenix, you are fined three years for a violation of the Financial Morality Statute.

We never did find out how to use the three seashells

Who will save us from the cullens now?....i think we need a new superhero...SOMEONE GET VAN HELSING

but yeah...shoulda filed them taxes....if thats one thing the govmt hates..its being cheated out of money

Gudrests:
Who will save us from the cullens now?....i think we need a new superhero...SOMEONE GET VAN HELSING

I'm afraid he already got jacked for making obscene phone calls to Dracula.

This is bullshit. They are clearly trying to set some kind of example with this.

FREEDOM FOR SNIPES!

On the other hand, he's a rich bastard, he could have payed those taxes. What the fuck was he thinking? I wouldn't send him to jail for that but I would send him to jail for being stupid.

If his name was Wesley Johnson his ass would have been in jail 10 years ago when he started all this nonsense. Snipes is an asshole.

ImprovizoR:
This is bullshit. They are clearly trying to set some kind of example with this.

FREEDOM FOR SNIPES!

On the other hand, he's a rich bastard, he could have payed those taxes. What the fuck was he thinking? I wouldn't send him to jail for that but I would send him to jail for being stupid.

It has been said countless times before but in the entire pantheon of crimes you might commit, the one you should never consider is tax evasion. The tax man will get his dues.

More than one super-villain wannabe was brought down by the tax man.

Casual Shinji:

Gudrests:

I'm afraid he already got jacked for making obscene phone calls to Dracula.

shit...well. anyone got a gun...err a cross shooting crossbow? idk something ill take them all out

Not to be an ass (I may be anyway, though. Apologies), but are we into celebrity gossip now here?

If I see something on here about the freaking prince of England getting married, I'm gonna flip out.

must... not... make Demolition Man joke... way too easy...

With all his money and he can't pay taxes?

DustyDrB:
If I see something on here about the freaking prince of England getting married, I'm gonna flip out.

If you're not enjoying it, how bad do you think it is over here?! Can't move for hearing about the bloody wedding, why they can't just skip to the inevitable divorce part is beyond me. That said, fairly certain (ok, very) that he's Prince William of Wales ;)

Anyhoo, on-topic, this is hardly a bad thing to happen is it? Snipes evaded taxes, now gets jailed. Makes perfect sense surely?

No prison can hold Simon Pheonix!

Gudrests:

but yeah...shoulda filed them taxes....if thats one thing the govmt hates..its being cheated out of money

Hugh Jackman is boss

D'aww, got caught out by tax evasion? Should have taken lessons from the banking industry ;)

When have you ever seen Snipes surrender to anyone?

Nothing worse than an unfair trail.

And as an accountant in Australia, this seems quite extreme. I know of one chap who had 26 years of tax returns he asked if he could do. This does of course beg the question, that if he was organised enough to keep records for 26 years, why not lodge a return during that time?

Wicky_42:
D'aww, got caught out by tax evasion? Should have taken lessons from the banking industry ;)

Hahahahahaha.

You win the thread good sir!

OT: I remember hearing about this a few years ago when it all started. If memory serves, he also tried to use a fake passport to get around Africa.

That's for Blade Trinity sucking!

More seriously, I doubt very much anyone will mess with him in prison. Pretty sure he could kill everyone using only his stare.

Well, Mr. Snipes, you ARE rich, and it is, in fact, very easy for you to give large sums of your cash back to the society that you live in, yet still remain more comfortable than most people ever will, even in a wealthy western nation, let alone the world as a whole. So maybe you should have been less of a moneygrabbing fuck and payed some fucking taxes, you silly sod.

Why is it that the rich are the ones who always pull this shit? what, do they suddenly need the money?

Cgull:

DustyDrB:

If you're not enjoying it, how bad do you think it is over here?! Can't move for hearing about the bloody wedding, why they can't just skip to the inevitable divorce part is beyond me. That said, fairly certain (ok, very) that he's Prince William of Wales ;)

Anyhoo, on-topic, this is hardly a bad thing to happen is it? Snipes evaded taxes, now gets jailed. Makes perfect sense surely?

BBC news. They ignore the various famines and states of severe poverty in third-world countries, refuse to cover any important stories that do not fit with existing media storylines, and then they go and take the fucking cake by reporting endlessly on the marriage of some punchable toff and his bit of stuff.

We know he is a prince, BBC news.

That does not make his marriage newsworthy at all.

He is just a man having a very expensive wedding, that will no doubt have recieved contributions from the fuckloads of taxpayer money that used to go to the royals.

Do not go and waste more of our fucking time and money by using our licensing fee on some man who has no connection to us or anything of even vague importance that effects us.

Stop trying to pull in audiences and get more attention, and just give us our fucking news!

No, not another one of those bloody "have your views" sections! I will form a viewpoint of my own using the information provided to me. Or at least I would, if you stopped encouraging people with no knowledge or useful info to waste everyone else's time and skipped to the "news" part of the bloody news!

Man, sorry. This got a bit tangental...

sorry, double-post

You're safe for now Cullen...

What a cruel way to go... to jail
He should perform harakiri asap so he can at least die with honor (damn you taxman)

I had sympathy for the guy, once, before I read what sort of a crazy, crazy person he clearly is, on top of being a tax fraud and generally a criminal. He deserves at least three years in jail.

From Wikipedia -

On October 12, 2006, Wesley Snipes, Eddie Ray Kahn, and Douglas P. Rosile were charged with one count of conspiring to defraud the United States under 18 U.S.C. § 371 and one count of knowingly making or aiding and abetting the making of a false and fraudulent claim for payment against the United States, under 18 U.S.C. § 287 and 18 U.S.C. § 2. Snipes was also charged with six counts of willfully failing to file Federal income tax returns by their filing dates under 26 U.S.C. § 7203.[13] The conspiracy charge against Snipes included allegations that he filed a false amended return including a false tax refund claim of over US$4 million for the year 1996 and a false amended return including a false tax refund claim of over US$7.3 million for the year 1997. The government alleged that Snipes attempted to obtain fraudulent tax refunds using a tax protester theory called the "861 argument" (essentially, an argument that the domestic income of U.S. citizens and residents is not taxable). The indictment said Snipes used accountants who already had a history of filing false returns to obtain refund payments for their clients.[14] The government also charged that Snipes sent three worthless, fictitious "bills of exchange" to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) in the amounts of $1,000,000 (on November 30, 2000), $12,000,000 (January 18, 2001), and $1,000,000 (September 10, 2002), with each accompanied by an IRS tax payment voucher coupon.[15]

Just watch, in 2016 he'll get appointed as Treasury Director just like Mr. Gheithner

Shame he ended up in prison. I mean, he should have plenty of money to pay for his taxes. Wesley, leave the country man.

The greatest vampire hunter ever was defeated by taxes. I am sure the judge was a vampire.

FYI: Don't bother trying to change my opinion, either.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here