Microsoft Pulling the Plug on Halo Wars Forums

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Microsoft Pulling the Plug on Halo Wars Forums

If you've got anything that you'd like to post on the Halo Wars forum you better do it soon, because come mid-December, it won't be there anymore.

In an effort to keep all the Halo discussion in one place, Microsoft has made the decision to shut down the forums for the RTS spin-off Halo Wars and make the Halo section of Xbox.com, Halo Waypoint, the official home of Halo chat.

The announcement actually came last week, as forum moderator "Cocopjojo" broke the news to an understandably upset community in a post that detailed what was happening, and when. The Halo Wars site, in its entirety, will go down on December 15th. The online statistics tracking that was a significant component of the online play will also go down, and the game will receive a patch to make sure that the multiplayer continues to work after the site is gone.

Cocopjojo said that the move was to provide Halo Wars players with "lively, active, and well-moderated set of forums for discussion," and that while the loss of stat tracking was unfortunately, it was unavoidable and not a decision that had been taken lightly. Microsoft doesn't plan to transition any content from the Halo Wars forums, but veterans of the site can get an exclusive forum avatar so they can recognize each other in their new surroundings.

Having worldwide communities for videogames is still something of a new idea, for console games at least, so this kind of readjustment is going to happen from time to time. It sucks for the people it affects, but as developers and publishers fine-tune how they handle the web, it will become increasingly rare.

Source: Eurogamer

First comment on that thread.

"Game is dead. F*** you."

Stay classy Halo fans.

Well this is a good thing in my opinion.

Have all your Halo resources in one places.

Though it will be sad to see Halowars.com go ):

njsykora:
First comment on that thread.

"Game is dead. F*** you."

Stay classy Halo fans.

lol they sure be gentlemans.

anyway, *bleh*. Did not even know it had a forum set apart for it. Which reminds me, there are NIS forums, right? I should check it out. I love Nippon Ichi, though I am kinda scared if I join I would be buried in a torrent of little children and weaboos.

Jesus, i'm scared to join any forum other than this one because of how much of a cesspool the internet is.

There's a Halo Wars community?

Well, whatever. Halo Wars wasn't that good. Still better than most console RTSes though.

Judging by some of the posts in that thread, no wonder they've decided to euthanise the forums.

A quote from a user named "nliimbo" in response to a post from "Stun Lock":

Stun Lock: You guys are aware that the decision to end online stat-tracking effectively makes the game a dead game... right? If that was your goal you could have saved us all a lot of time and not reset the LB. Do you really think people from halowars.com will move on to the waypoint forums after you kill their game? Seriously...

"nliimbo" This. Why don't you respond to statements like this instead of ducking under your skirt Cocock? Just go break your neck in a car crash or something and forget about this site.

Classy, tell the guy who isn't even responsible for the decision to go and break his neck. The phrase "Don't shoot the messenger!" apply here?

No wonder they're killing the forums.

Turquoise sure is one ugly colour.

I don't even understand why they tried to make a Halo RTS. RTSes require a far longer attention span than most Halo fans have the ability to muster.

Ahlycks:
Jesus, i'm scared to join any forum other than this one because of how much of a cesspool the internet is.

Nice to see a healthy dose of xenophobia there. Paranoia keeps you ready for when they come for you.

I see this so often that I wonder if the inter-site opinions/biases/fears/prejudices are stronger than those between countries...

MurderousToaster:

I know, right? Total brain melt...

Wait.. They want to concentrate all Halo related chatter on Waypoint?

Thats not gonna happen any time soon.. Even after Bungie have stopped making Halo's, the main place for halo fans is Bungie.net...

ThreeWords:

Ahlycks:

Nice to see a healthy dose of xenophobia there. Paranoia keeps you ready for when they come for you.

I know!! Finally, someone who understands me and the voices in my head!

MorteSphere:

I don't even understand why they tried to make a Halo RTS. RTSes require a far longer attention span than most Halo fans have the ability to muster.

It's probably because Halo was originally planned as an RTS.

MorteSphere:

hey I find that offencive!

I know a few people who will be none to happy about this.

EDIT: Scratch that. Completely misread the article.

MurderousToaster:

Well, whatever. Halo Wars wasn't that good. Still better than most console RTSes though.

Eh, handled the best out of any console RTS i've seen and gave me some truly epic one on one battles which came way to close.

Also attracted mature people with mics, so i'm saddened by the loss of a specific halo wars forum

WTF is halo wars? oh, wait, that crappy RTS game based off that crappy FPS series that everyone who isn't a halo fanboy, or has reasonable knowledge of just how crappy console controls are for an RTS, hates? Oh well, I don't see that big of a problem.

People still play Halo Wars? Good lord, that game was terrible, even for a console RTS.

DazBurger:

Thats not gonna happen any time soon.. Even after Bungie have stopped making Halo's, the main place for halo fans is Bungie.net...

Bungie stopped making Halo? I doubt it. Maybe they're done with the Master Chief story arc for now, but there's no way they're giving up on that big of a cash cow.

blakfayt:
WTF is halo wars? oh, wait, that crappy RTS game based off that crappy FPS series that everyone who isn't a halo fanboy, or has reasonable knowledge of just how crappy console controls are for an RTS, hates? Oh well, I don't see that big of a problem.

You missed the key point: It was also the last game by Ensemble, the makers of Age of Empires. So killing Halo Wars effectively? That's karma for killing everyone else's RTS hopes and dreams.

I have no idea what they were thinking making a console exclusive RTS when the obvious thing to do would make a PC version as well[1]. On a side note, does Halo Wars even have user-made maps or a map editor of sorts? It would be rather humorous if thee Halo RTS had a worse map editor than than Halo 3 or Reach.

[1] Unless they knew that PC users would not give a damn...

I thought Halo Wars was actually very good for a console RTS, the control scheme was quick and easy, the graphics were good and they used the licence very well (obviously no console RTS comes close to PC equivelents but still). I can't believe that they've never reduced the price of the two dlcs, 800 points each. If they had done that at any time (particularly close to Reach launching) they would have made quite a lot of sales and regenerated the community a little, now it's on it's death bed.

sir.rutthed:
People still play Halo Wars? Good lord, that game was terrible, even for a console RTS.

DazBurger:

Bungie stopped making Halo? I doubt it. Maybe they're done with the Master Chief story arc for now, but there's no way they're giving up on that big of a cash cow.

They have signed a 10 year deal with Activision, and since Microsoft owns all rights to Halo Bungie HAS to quit making Halo's.

But it has been hinted that they would pick up on the saga after they are done with Acti.

blakfayt:

psst, your troll is showing....

OT: eh....no strong feelings one way or the other. For a console-rts it handled pretty nicely, and the community for it (atleast the few people I played with who had mics on) actually seemed pretty...mature. Shocking, but true.

imnotparanoid:

MorteSphere:

hey I find that offencive!

You sure are good at proving my point.

archvile93:

MorteSphere:

It's probably because Halo was originally planned as an RTS.

But it turned out to be a shitty, repetitive shooter that started the insipid recharging health trend. This is why it would not make a good RTS, and why it would not market well to anybody who actually plays RTSes. Bungie would have been better off making an Action RPG or something of the sort.

Ahlycks:

ThreeWords:

Ahlycks:

Sorry, I'm actually a more boring version of the voice in your head; the words in your eye. You are only imagining that you see me on screen

I actually read through all 13 pages of that thread, and I must've lost about 18 IQ points. These guys sure aren't doing much to dispel the Halo stereotype, that's for sure. And what the hell is the deal with Stat Tracking?

SlainPwner666:
I actually read through all 13 pages of that thread, and I must've lost about 18 IQ points. These guys sure aren't doing much to dispel the Halo stereotype, that's for sure. And what the hell is the deal with Stat Tracking?

Lulz.

OT: I was under the impression this game was so abysmal no one bothered to play it past a few hours of 'oh, this is what a Halo RTS is like... Yeah this sucks'.

Ah well. A few hundred less MB taking up cyberspace.

ThreeWords:

Ahlycks:

ThreeWords:

Sorry, I'm actually a more boring version of the voice in your head; the words in your eye. You are only imagining that you see me on screen

DAMMIT I thought I finally proved my shrink wrong ;~;

My official opinion? N/A, never played the game, probably won't either, so I honestly don't care one way or the other.

However, my sympathies to the people this affects. I mean, hey, you worked for whatever it is you got that they're screwing up, so bloody hell raise some, well, hell. An exclusive avi isn't enough in my opinion to lose your rank (unless that avi is your old rank)

Now, the personal stuff? Ugh... Halo... ~shudders~ Dun like the game, too many fanatics out there. If it wasn't such a hit and people weren't so, well... Zealot-like in their defense of the series or obsessed with claiming any FPS I personally like is inferior to it, I'd probably be willing to give it a shot. Not saying everyone's that way, but still, I've had enough run-in's with the fanatics -_-

MorteSphere:

But it turned out to be a shitty, repetitive shooter that started the insipid recharging health trend. This is why it would not make a good RTS, and why it would not market well to anybody who actually plays RTSes. Bungie would have been better off making an Action RPG or something of the sort.

Halo wouldn't have made a good RTS because it was instead made into a shooter which inspired the recharging health trend.

All dogs are mammals.
All cats are mammals.
All dogs are cats.

Now don't get me wrong. Halo Wars was not even close to a decent RTS game when you compare it to the wealth of stuff on the PC. The basic bones of an RTS though? They're there. Two distinct armies with a variety of different units and vehicles. It's got the potential to be good, if a decent dev got a hold of it. Hell, you could add the Flood in and grab a third army and get all the Starcraft comparisons going.

Amnestic:

MorteSphere:

Halo wouldn't have made a good RTS because it was instead made into a shooter which inspired the recharging health trend.

All dogs are mammals.
All cats are mammals.
All dogs are cats.

Now don't get me wrong. Halo Wars was not even close to a decent RTS game when you compare it to the wealth of stuff on the PC. The basic bones of an RTS though? They're there. Two distinct armies with a variety of different units and vehicles. It's got the potential to be good, if a decent dev got a hold of it. Hell, you could add the Flood in and grab a third army and get all the Starcraft comparisons going.

its just a pitty that they did not make it for pc.. without the redicoulously look im a lightbulb shineyness. or making the tanks look like plastics. i mean, seriously dudes, HALO. itsself. can brunt the processing power to make rediculous amounts of stuff buzz drive walk and run about and shoot at one another while being boarded explode impact the ground and w/e.
AND NOT LOOK LIKE A LEGO BRICK.
but anyway. on pc, you would have had a modding community. it might have actualy become prety good! XD

Amnestic:

MorteSphere:

That's not even what I said. Try harder, champ.

MorteSphere:

Amnestic:

MorteSphere:

That's not even what I said. Try harder, champ.

All right, fellow. You said:
But it turned out to be a shitty, repetitive shooter that started the insipid recharging health trend. This is why it would not make a good RTS, and why it would not market well to anybody who actually plays RTSes.

One sentence ("shitty repetitive shooter" etc.) clearly leads on to the next ("This is why"). Your sentence structure quite clearly implies that the reason you think Halo wouldn't make a good RTS was because it was turned into an FPS you didn't like.

That is what you said. Exactly. Technically you should have used a semi-colon instead of a full stop after 'health trend', but regardless the meaning remains the same.

But okay, maybe I'm wrong. What did you mean, in the context of that exact paragraph which I quoted?

MorteSphere:
HALO WARS wouldn't have been a successful RTS because HALO players are fuckwits.

Oh, you poor, poor dear. There-there, everything will be alllllright.

(Nurse, bring the Thorazine. STAT, but don't run.)

-- Steve

MorteSphere:

HALO WARS wouldn't have been a successful RTS because HALO players are fuckwits.

That's...not what you said. I disagree with the premise itself, but that's not what you said, or even implied.

I've played DotA online a lot. I'm not "pro" by any means, in fact I would describe myself as distinctly average, but I've played a lot of it and I can safely say that the majority of DotA players are complete assholes.

Rewind to 2004. The statement "World of Warcraft will not be a successful MMO because Warcraft 3 players are complete assholes" is foolish. They appeal to two different (though overlapping, I'm sure) demographics.

So yeah, I disagree with both things you said, both your actual first statement and your retelling.

If you want an example of a GOOD console RTS, look at Brutal Legend. Instead of trying to be a clicky micromanagement PC game with controls which are entirely unsuited to this (like Halo Wars) it tones down the micromanagement and simplifies the controls. Instead, you play as the 'hero' unit and the game is more focused around fighting alongside your troops. If Halo Wars did that instead - like, if it played like a regular FPS, but you could spawn infantry squads and vehicles to fight with you - piloting the vehicles yourself if you wanted to - I think it would have been infinitely more fun.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here