Radiant Historia Hopes to Be Atlus's Chrono Trigger

Radiant Historia Hopes to Be Atlus's Chrono Trigger

Atlus has announced Radiant Historia for release in the U.S., a new DS RPG that sends players through the timestream.

Since finishing Chrono Trigger in 1995, I've been pining for a new RPG that uses time-travel in a compelling way. Atlus will finally be providing one early next year with Radiant Historia, a Nintendo DS RPG whose name makes it sound like a spiritual sequel to the PS2's Radiata Stories.

Indeed, Radiant Historia was developed by Radiata Stories staffers, but alongside members of Atlus's Shin Megami Tensei teams. Its Japanese version got a 34/40 from Famitsu magazine, which is a very respectable score, so it could be a title worth saving some of your holiday money for.

Atlus hints towards Historia's Chrono Trigger-esque nature by saying it channels "the heart and soul of fan favorite 16-bit RPG classics." Players will travel back and forth through time in a "steampunk adventure" that sees main character Stocke discovering the nexus of time through a book called the White Chronicle. History's course has gone awry, and Stocke is the only one that can put things back the way they're meant to be.

Players will alter time and then travel into the future to see how their choices affect it, all the while trying to prevent a worldwide disaster. You can apparently even re-do choices if you don't like their results. The game's battle system is turn-based with players able to perform flashy combos using the various types of skills available depending on the positioning of enemies.

Atlus has already proven itself as a producer of great DS RPGs, but Radiant Historia could be one of the company's best. At the least, it'll let us travel through time again, and everybody with a DeLorean knows how fun that is. Look for it in stores, with an included CD from composer Yoko Shimomura, on February 22, 2011.

They should have named this "Chrono Break - You Snooze You Lose, SE". It looks cool.

Sounds a little more than just inspired by CT. Some of those features sound completely lifted from CT.

interesting..but the Ds bit turns me away..also, Majoras mask was pretty awesome as far as time travel games go.

Yoko Shimomura composed the music for it? Atlus made it?

Sold.

Maybe worth checking out...

Still...Chrono Trigger is UNTOUCHABLE as far as i'm concerned...

Chrono Trigger is one of my all-time favorite games, and it wasn't the time travel aspect that enthralled me so.

It was the narrative. A complex tale that interwove several events, all affecting each other in subtle yet drastic ways.

It was the characters. A delightful blend of quirky and compelling, endearing and evoking.

And it was the design. A gorgeous game for the SNES, I would spend hours in the kingdom of Zeal just to look at the architecture. The game played great, no random battles, and a tech system that had me creating dream teams just to see what cool things they could do when the combined their powers.

This does look interesting, but I wouldn't compare it to Chrono Trigger by the trailer alone. Even if it does have time travel...

OMG not for the fucking DS. I hate it's stupid faux 3-D pile of fail shit Not in 3-D?! YUSH. Now if only Golden Sun dark dawn and Dragon Quest 9 did the same think I would be happy. Yes, the art style ruined most of my DS games for me.

(7 more days till dark dawn comes out OMG)

goood... goood...

Yay I'm going to get this on day one. I love atlus games.

(leaving)

Looks Good to be sure, but a Chrono Successor?

Please, I didn't see a single Robot, Cave Girl, Turtle Shell Hatted Inventor or Anthropomorphic Frog. That seems to be what a lot of Game Devs forget about CT when they say their game is "like Chrono Trigger".

Chrono Trigger was GONZO, it was CRAZY, it was colorful, it was funny, it was random, it was touching, it was sad and it was amazing, a one of a kind, likely unrepeatable experience.

An Atlus game developed in part by the SMT team AND based off one of the best RPGs ever made? Could you ask for more? Maybe, but by a very, very slim margin.

Having recently played the DS remake of Chrono trigger the past week, I am interested in this. When's the release date for the UK?

Hmm, I'm interested.

I love atlus but why are all these great RPG's going to the DS upscale that stuff and put it on ps3 and xbox. I don't care if it is 3d or just 2d sprites we need more RPG's on these systems.

Stormwaltz:
Is it just my skewed perception, or is Atlus releasing fewer and fewer games for consoles?

I realized while deleting the "Atlus Faithful" email for Radiant Historia that for the past year or so, I've deleted nearly all their game announcements unread after seeing DS or PSP at the top. (I don't have anything against handhelds, I just don't own one.)

altus hasnt really put out much stuff for consoles, its mostly been handheld since the days of the ps2 mostly ended

Well, ill buy it, its atlus, theres no way in heck i WONT buy it.

If this game has random battles, it FAILS.

The thing that set Chrono Trigger apart from EVERY OTHER SNES RPG was the complete omission of random battles. That, and the balanced difficulty progression, the fact you never need to grind drops, and the very straightforward character progression meant you could play straight through and never have to grind FOR ANY REASON.

If they can get that through their thick skulls, then I imagine they'll succeed very well.

Oh yeah, and if the character models don't look like super-deformed paper dolls, and if the rest of your party don't come out of your main character's ass whenever you hit a scripted event (a-la FFVII), that will help too. For all its faults, that was one of the things FF VIII did much better than FF VII.

EDIT: With regards to OP, the above is what made Chrono Trigger a great RPG. NOT TIME TRAVEL!!

The time travel was cool, and well implemented in the story, but it was not what made CT the best RPG on the SNES.

RebellionXXI:

The thing that set Chrono Trigger apart from EVERY OTHER SNES RPG was the complete omission of random battles. That, and the balanced difficulty progression, the fact you never need to grind drops, and the very straightforward character progression meant you could play straight through and never have to grind FOR ANY REASON.

If they can get that through their thick skulls, then I imagine they'll succeed very well.

Oh yeah, and if the character models don't look like super-deformed paper dolls, and if the rest of your party don't come out of your main character's ass whenever you hit a scripted event (a-la FFVII), that will help too. For all its faults, that was one of the things FF VIII did much better than FF VII.

EDIT: With regards to OP, the above is what made Chrono Trigger a great RPG. NOT TIME TRAVEL!!

The time travel was cool, and well implemented in the story, but it was not what made CT the best RPG on the SNES.

There are no random battles! Also, you totally disregard the awesomeness of time travel.

RebellionXXI:

Dear god this, the biggest thing that makes Chrono Trigger still playable for me today is the fact that it doesn't have random battles.

Will buy, unless a free trial persuades me otherwise. Or I can't afford it. One of the two.

Chrono Trigger will never happen again. It almost miracle that the game exists.

A fun and lighthearted adventure filled with danger and mystery? What? A simple and consistent story that makes sense? What? Likable characters? What? It's from Japan? What?

Wait a minute.....Persona 3 and 4 had all this sans the time travel. Anyway those Chrono Trigger-FFVI days are long gone. Now it's nothing but angst and crying.

Tom Goldman:

There are no random battles!

FUCK YES!

Tom Goldman:

Also, you totally disregard the awesomeness of time travel.

RebellionXXI:

No, I didn't. I just didn't think it was the main thing that made Chrono Trigger great.

Do you think, say, FF VIII would have been much improved by the addition of time travel? Didn't think so.

Do you think FF VII could have been improved by removing random battles, pointless grinding, and making the characters not look like plastic toys when you're wandering around the map? Yeah.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here